Hello.

Let us get to know you!
inkubo
I Like Anime

Re: Hello.

Postby inkubo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Scribblenog wrote:On that note, from the series you mentioned are there any where the design of the characters and style of animation particularly stood out to you?

Kaiba has a simplistic cutesy art style but deals with heavy themes. Very cathartic and sad.

Goldenboy has great comedic timing and is one of my favorite dubs. I love the female characters in the show and the animation feels so alive and cartoony. I’m also a sucker for the older anime aesthetic.
Spoiler:
The last episode is even about the animation process. It’s just a wonderful way to bring everything together.

The Big O has influences from Batman the Animated Series which is fine by me!

I keep gushing about Kiznaiver. It’s not a perfect anime, but I can tell there is a lot of heart behind the animation/story/design of the characters. I every time I look up gifs of this show I crack a smile.

I also really liked Aku no Hana. I don’t think I would have liked the show as much if it looked like a generic anime. I felt genuinely anxious over the plight of the main character because the show felt so relatable and surreal at the same time. People complained over the rotoscoping being sloppy, but I don’t mind.

Scribblenog wrote:Are there any series where you pushed aside a disdain for the plot in favor of the animation?

I would say Zankyou no Terror has wonderful animation and great directing. I even have the soundtrack on my phone. But the story is baadd.
Spoiler:
Playing chess in an airport…wha? Seriously?? Also why did 5 have to exist!?!

I enjoyed Kyoukai no Kanata’s animation despite the story playing it safe.

Scribblenog wrote:You mentioned having an artistic inclination. Do you do a lot of work in that style?

I can do different types of landscapes/creatures, but I’m not good at drawing people yet. I don't really have a style... Here's an ink study I did from the from the Nausicaä manga.

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:00 pm

That is actually a really good drawing. Very impressed and perhaps just a wee bit jealous. Nausicaa was one of the first real anime I ever saw. That drawing deffinately brings up some warm and fuzzy nostalgia.

inkubo wrote:I keep gushing about Kiznaiver. It’s not a perfect anime, but I can tell there is a lot of heart behind the animation/story/design of the characters. I every time I look up gifs of this show I crack a smile.

I absolutely loved the character designs from that show. It was a very pretty anime. I liked where the story was going too.
Spoiler:
I'm a sucker for love triangles and drama. When the characters all started freaking out over who loved who, to the point of psychically damaging each other I was all in. If an anime character loses it and starts crying in the rain I call it a win.

Aku no Hana was another really good one. The rotoscoping didn't bother me at all since I found the story so compelling. I really want to get my hands on the manga.

I don't recall huge chunks of the plot of Beyond the Boundry, but it's a Kyoto Ani flick. I absolutely adore the way those guys do eyes. They always look amazing and shiny. I'll watch pretty much anything they put out. I got hooked on their stuff with the anime Hyouka. Chitanda Eru's virtually glowing purple eyes enthralled me. Wish I could draw like that.

Well, that's enough rambling for now. Let's see, how about a question...
How do you feel about the prevelance of archetypical or tropish characters in anime (tsunderes, the cold hearted glasses guy, the creepy otaku, the "normal" guy who gets the special power, that kind of thing)?
Second, if pressed to select a favorite JRPG, what title (and/or series) would be your answer?

inkubo
I Like Anime

Postby inkubo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:14 am

Scribblenog wrote:That is actually a really good drawing. Very impressed and perhaps just a wee bit jealous.

Aww thank you ;-;

Scribblenog wrote:I absolutely loved the character designs from that show. It was a very pretty anime. I liked where the story was going too.

Aku no Hana was another really good one. The rotoscoping didn't bother me at all since I found the story so compelling. I really want to get my hands on the manga.

I don't recall huge chunks of the plot of Beyond the Boundry, but it's a Kyoto Ani flick. I absolutely adore the way those guys do eyes. They always look amazing and shiny. I'll watch pretty much anything they put out. I got hooked on their stuff with the anime Hyouka. Chitanda Eru's virtually glowing purple eyes enthralled me. Wish I could draw like that.

I concur with everything you just said. Hyouka looks really cute I’ll be sure to check it out.
Scribblenog wrote:How do you feel about the prevelance of archetypical or tropish characters in anime (tsunderes, the cold hearted glasses guy, the creepy otaku, the "normal" guy who gets the special power, that kind of thing)?

I guess I hate the "normal" guy who gets the special power trope. Why does he have to be normal? Why is this person entitled to a special power?
Scribblenog wrote:Second, if pressed to select a favorite JRPG, what title (and/or series) would be your answer?

Spoiler:
I cannot answer that.

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I threw on Beyond the Boundary this morning, just to watch some of the pretty animation. It got me to wondering: have you watched Love, Chunibyuu and other Delusions?
On that note, what are your opinions of Romance and slice of life amines in general? Are there any you've watched that particularly stood out?

inkubo
I Like Anime

Postby inkubo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Scribblenog wrote:I threw on Beyond the Boundary this morning, just to watch some of the pretty animation. It got me to wondering: have you watched Love, Chunibyuu and other Delusions?
On that note, what are your opinions of Romance and slice of life amines in general? Are there any you've watched that particularly stood out?

I have not seen the shows you have mentioned.

It is very hard for me to invest in just plain Romance. I don’t care if it is shounen ai, shoujo ai or a romcom, there has to be something relatable and attention-grabbing for me to be drawn in. I also feel the same way with Slice of Life.

Here are some Romances that stuck out to me:

Ore Monogatari!!-It’s so freaking cute!~

Love Stage- I think it’s weird for two straight men to become gay for each other within 10 episodes plus and an OVA. I would have enjoyed the show more if they present their relationship in a humanistic light. But it made me laugh and I liked it.
Spoiler:
MFW the main character says goodbye to his waifu before he runs into another man’s arms.

Sakamichi no Apollon- Wonderful music/setting and a great story about friendship/a love triangle.

Doukyuusei-Very chill. I can see why people would be bored with it, but I still like it.

As for slice of life:

Sound Euphnioum!(the first season anyway).

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge- a very chill show. The main character reminds me of my best friend, which makes this show a running gag between us. I’ve seen this show twice and I still love it.

Non Non Biyori-I love the backgrounds! Nothing wrong with cute country girls doing cute country things.

On an unrelated note, another character trope I hate is the very annoying/clingy imouto. They tend to be prevalent in slice of life/comedies.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 pm

inkubo wrote: ::peace::

Welcome to the community inkubo! Another Goldenboy fan joins the ranks! Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the cast if you check it out.

Awesome artwork btw. I immediately knew it was Nausicaa hah.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

inkubo
I Like Anime

Postby inkubo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Andrew wrote:
inkubo wrote: ::peace::

Welcome to the community inkubo! Another Goldenboy fan joins the ranks! Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the cast if you check it out.

Awesome artwork btw. I immediately knew it was Nausicaa hah.

Thank for having me! And I appreciate the compliment!

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 am

inkubo wrote:Here are some Romances that stuck out to me:
Ore Monogatari!!-It’s so freaking cute!~
As for slice of life:
Sound Euphnioum!(the first season anyway)
Non Non Biyori-I love the backgrounds! Nothing wrong with cute country girls doing cute country things.

Excellent shows. Ore was adorably sweet and Non-Non Biyori was just so charming. Perfect shows to unwind with after a miserable day at work.
Using those shows as a baseline for tolerance levels of their respective genres I definitely feel safe recommending Hyouka and Love, Chunibyou and Other Delusions. Both series are visually appealing and have varying degrees of cutesy boy-meets-girl, early-stage romance(more so in Love Chuni than Hyouka). Both are super slice of life (no clingy imuotos).
Love Chuni in particular sprung to mind when you brought up Beyond the Boundary. Take all the actual supernatural stuff out of Boundary and you get Love Chuni. The female leads are very similar.

inkubo wrote:Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge- a very chill show. The main character reminds me of my best friend, which makes this show a running gag between us. I’ve seen this show twice and I still love it.

Nice. I was going to get around to asking anyway but since you beat me to the question I'll throw it out here: Are there any (other) anime characters or storylines that resonate with you on a personal level? Are there any characters you particularly admire?

inkubo
I Like Anime

Postby inkubo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Scribblenog wrote:I was going to get around to asking anyway but since you beat me to the question I'll throw it out here: Are there any (other) anime characters or storylines that resonate with you on a personal level? Are there any characters you particularly admire?

I really liked xxxholic/Fruits Baskets/Black Cat as a teenager. They dealt with subjects like loss, being different, and coping with difficult problems/people/relationships.

I didn’t grow up in a good environment and Fruits Baskets made me ask questions about my situation. I wasn’t aware at the time but that manga/show made me realize my emotions/feelings were not really my own but they stemmed from hormones, depression, anxiety and unhealthy/unreliable people.

Black Cat was more of an escapist fantasy for me. Sven was my first husbando. I have a keychain of him hanging in my car. :3

xxxholic has good and bad episodes, but I liked the dub voice acting. I related to the main character; dramatic and whinny but very independent and hard working. I liked how weird the show was (designs, monsters, somewhat dangerous yet mundane situations) and how cryptic the character Yuuko is.

Then there’s Neon Genesis Evangelion…oh boy. I got into this show recently and to me it is like a sweatshirt; it’s nothing new/ it’s not ground-breaking fashion but it’s familiar and you appreciate the warmth it brings. The stitching/hemming still holds and it is not made from cheap material. I really resonated with Misato and Ritsuko; two strong female characters with no kids and maternal issues? SIGN ME UP!
::yess::

There is also Mami from Madoka Magica. A quiet loner that is like the big sister of the group. When she gets excited she becomes careless and impulsive which I can relate to ;-;

There's probably more, but these are the ones that have stuck with me.

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:10 am

inkubo wrote:Then there’s Neon Genesis Evangelion…oh boy. I got into this show recently and to me it is like a sweatshirt; it’s nothing new/ it’s not ground-breaking fashion but it’s familiar and you appreciate the warmth it brings. The stitching/hemming still holds and it is not made from cheap material.

Very nice analogy. I haven't seen Evangelion in a long time. I can empathize with every now and again wanting to snuggle into a familiar old anime.

Mm Mami. She was a fun character.

Spoiler:
I really enjoy the Madoka series. Mami's death was absolutely brilliant. That was the point I was 100% sold on the show. Up till then I was watching out of curiosity following a coworker's recommendation. There are moments in that show that really appealed to me: Sayaka"s corruption and mental collapse, Homura murdering Kyubey only to have a new Kyubey show up and devour his old body, the grand reveal of the whole "magical girl process" and what it really means. Man, good times.

Are there any particular genres of anime you would like to see more of?
Any you would like to see less of in a season?
Two part question: of the jrpgs you have played are any you would want to see made into an animated series? Part two does the answer change if you knew the anime in question would only get 12 episodes?