Hi!

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 am

MojaveRena wrote:I get hayfever around this time of year, so I'm always sneezing..
You're not alone - my allergies also lead to hay fever. Although just like with stone fruits, my condition has gotten progessively better over the years. I used to have itchy eyes, nowadays I just get a runny nose every now and again.

MojaveRena wrote:That's what I am like playing football, most of the time I'm just running about aimlessly but when I do get the ball, I often let everyone down. XD
I just had to mentally process that you live in Europe, too, and weren't talking about American football :D. I used to play football/soccer quite a bit when I was younger, too; both with classmates/friends and as a warm-up practice at handball training. I like to believe I was semi-competent, mainly covering the defense section of our team and being a pest to attackers who tried to outplay me. During my semester abroad in the US, there was also a small soccer 'cup' in which I was actually one of the stronger players. Guess it's the blood of Germany, the football nation, running through my veins :P.

MojaveRena wrote:That reminds me, the World Cup is starting soon, are you going to watch that or do you prefer to watch something else? I do admit there are comedic moments in watching football on TV...
Truth be told, I'm really not much of a soccer fan, or a fan of watching sports in general. It's not that I find it uninteresting, just not engaging enough that I'd go out of my way for it. It can be fun to watch World Cup matches with a group of friends, but nowadays, the opportunity hardly ever comes up for me.

I'm wondering, what types of moments would you classify as comedic here ;)?

MojaveRena wrote:Who did you get when you first played the game?
I started off with Emi's route - as do about 80% of all Kawata Shoujo readers, it seems. Arriving on her route involves one single choice; you'll probably know which one. Apparently, many people followed a similar thought process as me at that decision point and were thus locked into Emi's path.

Lilly's is my favorite route in the game, though. It's very sweet all around, and it (in my mind) puts the most focus on the implications the characters' disabilities have on their daily lives. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did :).

Since the topic never came up, if you don't mind sharing: What do you do for work or education? Have you moved to Italy on a temporary basis or are you planning to stay for good?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:31 am

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
You're not alone - my allergies also lead to hay fever. Although just like with stone fruits, my condition has gotten progessively better over the years. I used to have itchy eyes, nowadays I just get a runny nose every now and again.
And there is also the problem with the heat here in Italy, I suffer badly from dehydration so you can imagine what it is like for me in the heat and humidity of southern Italy (about 35C or more). I mean, you get used to the heat after a while but I much prefer the cold since I am more used to milder temperatures. The heat can be oppressive when you are not prepared, but you can prepare for the cold no problem.

Do you prefer the cold or the heat? I'm not sure what climate Germany has, I assume it's similar to England but maybe a bit sunnier? ;)

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I just had to mentally process that you live in Europe, too, and weren't talking about American football :D. I used to play football/soccer quite a bit when I was younger, too; both with classmates/friends and as a warm-up practice at handball training. I like to believe I was semi-competent, mainly covering the defense section of our team and being a pest to attackers who tried to outplay me. During my semester abroad in the US, there was also a small soccer 'cup' in which I was actually one of the stronger players. Guess it's the blood of Germany, the football nation, running through my veins :P.

I get confused myself sometimes, most of the time I just say "soccer" since most people understand what that is despite literally everyone in Europe calling it "football". (except in Italy, they prefer to call it "calcio" but "football" is still understood).
At least you can play football well, I used to be a striker but I wasn't a very good one. My old friends used to bet against me scoring a goal, saying they have won £5 on me not scoring a single goal. :D Good times.

Yes, your nation has won the world cup multiple times, if I am not mistaken. Clearly you guys have something special running through your veins. But being a defender must have been a stressful role for you since it's a lot of responsibility to stop the other strikers.

Don't forget about all the other good things Germany is good for, like car industry and dance music back in the 90's. And the language, without German (and Norwegian to a lesser extent) I think English would be a Romance language like Italian or most likely French.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Truth be told, I'm really not much of a soccer fan, or a fan of watching sports in general. It's not that I find it uninteresting, just not engaging enough that I'd go out of my way for it. It can be fun to watch World Cup matches with a group of friends, but nowadays, the opportunity hardly ever comes up for me.

I'm wondering, what types of moments would you classify as comedic here ;)?

Yeah, I agree. I never used to watch any sports on TV in the past, it didn't interest me at all. Some football matches can be boring since nothing happens for 90 minutes or the players keep passing the ball back to the goalkeeper to waste time. But watching with friends or family is the best way to watch any sport, watching it by yourself is just.. a bit lonely.

Well, the comedic moments come from the absurd moments in football, like goalkeepers scoring a goal. There are many Youtube videos about what weird and wonderful things happen on the pitch.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I started off with Emi's route - as do about 80% of all Kawata Shoujo readers, it seems. Arriving on her route involves one single choice; you'll probably know which one. Apparently, many people followed a similar thought process as me at that decision point and were thus locked into Emi's path.

Lilly's is my favorite route in the game, though. It's very sweet all around, and it (in my mind) puts the most focus on the implications the characters' disabilities have on their daily lives. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did :).

Since the topic never came up, if you don't mind sharing: What do you do for work or education? Have you moved to Italy on a temporary basis or are you planning to stay for good?

I think I am that 20% minority then, no matter. Oh, I think I know what choice you are talking about! Is it
Spoiler:
the choice where you have to keep running with her on the track?

I've lived in Italy for 2 years now and I work in a garden centre, I've always been good with plants so I thought working with them would be a good choice. Between you and me, I didn't do too well at school so I had to find a way to make a living.

What do you do? I heard before you work in an office environment?

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:13 am

MojaveRena wrote:Do you prefer the cold or the heat? I'm not sure what climate Germany has, I assume it's similar to England but maybe a bit sunnier? ;)
You can bet your bottom dollar I prefer the cold :P. I mean if we're comparing extremes, I'd prefer 0°C over 30. Or 10°C over 25. 20 celsius is the ideal temperature, though :).

I'm pretty sure our climate is cooler than Italy's, but I don't think we get quite as much rain as England is always said to. Anyway, it feels like over the past decade(s), the weather's been becoming more erratic. You get crazy heat periods as early as April, now we're in June and we're barely breaking 20 celsius mid-day. If this is a result of the global climate change, I'm honestly feeling a bit terrified (and worried for future generations).

MojaveRena wrote:But being a defender must have been a stressful role for you since it's a lot of responsibility to stop the other strikers.
Yeah, sort of. But it fits my persona of not being a very take-charge guy. I'd rather wait and observe, then react appropriately. Did I just equate one of my lifestyle principles to defensive soccer play? I'm embarassed now ^^*.

MojaveRena wrote:And the language, without German (and Norwegian to a lesser extent) I think English would be a Romance language like Italian or most likely French.
You're right, we helped forge the English language pretty much from the ground up. The similarities between the two have also helped me learn the language with relatively little effort, especially compared to some of the Asian students I met while studying in Nebraska (who have a completely different linguistic system to work from).

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, I think I know what choice you are talking about! Is it
Spoiler:
the choice where you have to keep running with her on the track?
Yup, that's it.
Spoiler:
Apparently, most people instinctively choose to push Hisao's limits in that scene because the nurse advised him to be serious about working out in a scene shortly before. However, the nurse also mentioned (in an even earlier part, I believe) that overdoing it was a bad idea for Hisao's heart. So in a sense, choosing to "go for it" on the race track is also an irresponsible option to take.

MojaveRena wrote:I've lived in Italy for 2 years now and I work in a garden centre, I've always been good with plants so I thought working with them would be a good choice. Between you and me, I didn't do too well at school so I had to find a way to make a living.

What do you do? I heard before you work in an office environment?
Hey, it's cool you found something to your liking that's able to support you financially (Of course, I have no idea how good the pay is, but I hope you're at least not struggling with your bills).

I sometimes feel a little bad about how 'privileged' I've been growing up: My parents aren't rich or anything, but my father, who has a diploma in physics, has always earned a decent amount and started depositing money in a bank account for me when I was just a kid. Also, I've always scored highly in most subjects at school without having to put in much effort at all. I breezed through university with relatively little trouble, and although my first job hunt took me a couple of months, I found a nice position with slightly below-average pay given my qualification.

I'm now on my 2nd job, and both have been positions as an editor. I've always loved working with languages, but never specialized enough in foreign ones to have a realistic shot as a career translator (I mean, the only language I've more or less mastered is English, and you can imagine the amount of competition on the labor market since everybody and their dad knows English nowadays). Now I mostly write marketing-related texts: articles and product descriptions for our website and other small bits and pieces. All in German, of course, but excitingly, my current employer is looking to expand their business to the international realm, and when the time comes, I'll probably be in charge of translating all our texts into English. I'm looking forward to that, for sure :).

Last note: After Fallout 4 screwed me over one too many times by glitching out again and robbing me of ~45 minutes of playtime, I put it on hold again and started... another run of New Vegas :>. And this time, I'm actually going for a full-blown melee (and explosives) character. It's been quite fun so far, and with the Super Slam! perk taken, I almost felt sorry for that poor first deathclaw while I bludgeoned it to death with my crowbar :D.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
You can bet your bottom dollar I prefer the cold :P. I mean if we're comparing extremes, I'd prefer 0°C over 30. Or 10°C over 25. 20 celsius is the ideal temperature, though :).

I'm pretty sure our climate is cooler than Italy's, but I don't think we get quite as much rain as England is always said to. Anyway, it feels like over the past decade(s), the weather's been becoming more erratic. You get crazy heat periods as early as April, now we're in June and we're barely breaking 20 celsius mid-day. If this is a result of the global climate change, I'm honestly feeling a bit terrified (and worried for future generations).
I can't stand oppressive heat of 40C+, it's impossible to do anything in that heat. 20C is the ideal zone for me.

I think global warming is to blame for wild temperature changes, once England got temperatures of 32C in May which is really odd, and then in August it's raining a lot at 15C. It doesn't make sense anymore..

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, sort of. But it fits my persona of not being a very take-charge guy. I'd rather wait and observe, then react appropriately. Did I just equate one of my lifestyle principles to defensive soccer play? I'm embarassed now ^^*.
Hehe, I'm the same in real life, I much prefer to wait until it's my time to act. Hey, it's a good metaphor to use! :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
You're right, we helped forge the English language pretty much from the ground up. The similarities between the two have also helped me learn the language with relatively little effort, especially compared to some of the Asian students I met while studying in Nebraska (who have a completely different linguistic system to work from).
I know Mandarin has a similar grammar to English, but most Asian languages have a completely different language structure, like Thai or Mongolian. Oh, you've been to Nebraska. I've never been out of Europe. :p

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yup, that's it. [spoiler]Apparently, most people instinctively choose to push Hisao's limits in that scene because the nurse advised him to be serious about working out in a scene shortly before. However, the nurse also mentioned (in an even earlier part, I believe) that overdoing it was a bad idea for Hisao's heart. So in a sense, choosing to "go for it" on the race track is also an irresponsible option to take.
[/spoiler]
Yeah, I thought it was that option while I was playing the game, but
Spoiler:
I thought the nurse didn't want you to push yourself too hard, and then he says to be serious about working out..? And Hisao almost had a heart attack anyway bumping into Emi, so I thought it would be best not to get a "game over" on the first act.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Hey, it's cool you found something to your liking that's able to support you financially (Of course, I have no idea how good the pay is, but I hope you're at least not struggling with your bills).

I sometimes feel a little bad about how 'privileged' I've been growing up: My parents aren't rich or anything, but my father, who has a diploma in physics, has always earned a decent amount and started depositing money in a bank account for me when I was just a kid. Also, I've always scored highly in most subjects at school without having to put in much effort at all. I breezed through university with relatively little trouble, and although my first job hunt took me a couple of months, I found a nice position with slightly below-average pay given my qualification.

I'm now on my 2nd job, and both have been positions as an editor. I've always loved working with languages, but never specialized enough in foreign ones to have a realistic shot as a career translator (I mean, the only language I've more or less mastered is English, and you can imagine the amount of competition on the labor market since everybody and their dad knows English nowadays). Now I mostly write marketing-related texts: articles and product descriptions for our website and other small bits and pieces. All in German, of course, but excitingly, my current employer is looking to expand their business to the international realm, and when the time comes, I'll probably be in charge of translating all our texts into English. I'm looking forward to that, for sure :).

Last note: After Fallout 4 screwed me over one too many times by glitching out again and robbing me of ~45 minutes of playtime, I put it on hold again and started... another run of New Vegas :>. And this time, I'm actually going for a full-blown melee (and explosives) character. It's been quite fun so far, and with the Super Slam! perk taken, I almost felt sorry for that poor first deathclaw while I bludgeoned it to death with my crowbar :D.
The pay is alright, it's enough to survive on. But working with plants is not really about tangible pay, it's about the reward of watching the plant grow or seeing the smiles on people's faces when you bring the plant back to life. (I specialize in chilli plants by the way or other flowering plants.)

Oh cool! How was university for you? I wasn't very academically successful at school and I didn't go to college let alone uni, but I'm really happy for you. :)

Oh, I can understand the competition for people who can speak English, trust me, but definitely expand into the English-speaking realm where you work, I had more customers simply by putting up signs in English next to the Italian signs, turned out most customers wanted to speak English to me simply to practice so it can help them out too.

You know, I did that the other day and got destroyed by the geckos during the tutorial of Fallout NV (The most embarrassing death ever?), I even had the machete from the Gun Runners DLC and everything...
I haven't done an unarmed playthrough yet, not sure how that will work with most opponents being able to shoot you before you hit them with your fists.
Talking of Fallout games, are you interested in Fallout lore? There's a Youtube channel that goes in depth about locations and background events and makes you want to replay the game again. I think the Youtuber is called "Oxhorn", he is doing a thorough job at explaining these things in a way it is intriguing to the viewer. Check him out, if you want. ;)

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 am

MojaveRena wrote:I think global warming is to blame for wild temperature changes, once England got temperatures of 32C in May which is really odd, and then in August it's raining a lot at 15C. It doesn't make sense anymore..
Yeah, it's pretty crazy stuff. But don't worry, Trump says global warming is a myth (or some such statement, don't quote me on it), so we're probably just having bad luck. It'll all sort itself out soon. *turns off sarcasm converter*

MojaveRena wrote:I know Mandarin has a similar grammar to English
Really? I wasn't aware. You learn something new every day. Thanks :).

In all honesty, the only reason I decided to journey to America for my studies was that a semester abroad was mandatory for my course of studies. I said to myself, "Well, if I have to study in a different (English-speaking) country anyway, I may as well go all out instead of taking the 'easy' nearby choice of Great Britain." So the US it was. Luckily, I got in through an international exchange scholarship program, so the additional cost for the flight was a non-issue.

MojaveRena wrote:Yeah, I thought it was that option while I was playing the game, but
Spoiler:
I thought the nurse didn't want you to push yourself too hard, and then he says to be serious about working out..? And Hisao almost had a heart attack anyway bumping into Emi, so I thought it would be best not to get a "game over" on the first act.
Good thinking, that's pretty spot-on. Although the closest thing to a "game over" that Katawa Shoujo has to offer actually stems from quite a different scenario. I won't say anything else about it (yet), you may stumble upon it on your own. It's worth the experience, I assure you :D.

MojaveRena wrote:The pay is alright, it's enough to survive on. But working with plants is not really about tangible pay, it's about the reward of watching the plant grow or seeing the smiles on people's faces when you bring the plant back to life.
That's a pretty sweet way of looking at it :). I can't honestly say that I have much of a green thumb myself, but I bet people who do really appreciate your work.

MojaveRena wrote:I had more customers simply by putting up signs in English next to the Italian signs, turned out most customers wanted to speak English to me simply to practice so it can help them out too.
Sounds neat. Keep it up and help hone your fellow Italians' foreign language skills!

MojaveRena wrote:You know, I did that the other day and got destroyed by the geckos during the tutorial of Fallout NV (The most embarrassing death ever?), I even had the machete from the Gun Runners DLC and everything...
I haven't done an unarmed playthrough yet, not sure how that will work with most opponents being able to shoot you before you hit them with your fists.
That sounds painful X). I'm playing on medium difficulty, no DLCs, with the "Project Nevada" mod on (mostly) default settings, which makes the game a bit more challenging than it'd normally be. I'm not having too much trouble with most enemies in the game so far (currently level 13). What you want to do against geckos and such is backpedal + strafe to give them minimal chance to hit you while swinging your melee weapon like a madman. You can also use VATS to finish them off. Against some particularly fast and hard-hitting foes (nightstalkers), chems are you best friend.

I've turned the NCR against me and crossed paths with 2 ranger squads so far. Those are pretty tough. But "Project Nevada" adds explosive knockdowns, that helps a lot with crowd control. It also adds a sprint function (which costs AP) so you can close the gap to ranged enemies much faster. Also, you learn to use any available cover to your advantage pretty quickly.

Overall, I'm really having a blast with this playthrough so far :). I can't wait until I level up enough to grab some more powerful melee perks (like Purifier) and try my hands at clearing my 1st deathclaw lair - armed with plenty of mines and pumped up on all sorts of chems, of course!

Oh, and lastly, I'm not really into the game's/franchise's lore, to be frank. I just love the gameplay and atmosphere :>.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:04 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, it's pretty crazy stuff. But don't worry, Trump says global warming is a myth (or some such statement, don't quote me on it), so we're probably just having bad luck. It'll all sort itself out soon. *turns off sarcasm converter*
Yeah, I heard something about that recently! The news can be depressing sometimes with what is going on recently regarding Trump (don't quote me either), I don't know what will happen to this world if we don't care about what is happening? *sarcasm.exe stops working*

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Really? I wasn't aware. You learn something new every day. Thanks :).

In all honesty, the only reason I decided to journey to America for my studies was that a semester abroad was mandatory for my course of studies. I said to myself, "Well, if I have to study in a different (English-speaking) country anyway, I may as well go all out instead of taking the 'easy' nearby choice of Great Britain." So the US it was. Luckily, I got in through an international exchange scholarship program, so the additional cost for the flight was a non-issue.

You're welcome. ^^ The only problem I have with Mandarin is that it's a tonal language, so you have to kinda 'sing your words' to get the right tone.

I understand, especially if you are used to hearing American English or you intend to learn it, I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, you might get confused between our accents if you swap from one version of English to another.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Good thinking, that's pretty spot-on. Although the closest thing to a "game over" that Katawa Shoujo has to offer actually stems from quite a different scenario. I won't say anything else about it (yet), you may stumble upon it on your own. It's worth the experience, I assure you :D.
Oh OK, good to know. I'm usually a more cautious gamer so I often choose the safest options.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
That's a pretty sweet way of looking at it :). I can't honestly say that I have much of a green thumb myself, but I bet people who do really appreciate your work.
Yeah, most customers shake my hand and are happy their plant is still alive. Most of the time it's that the plant needs more water or it's needs a bigger pot to grow in, but the smiles on people's faces make my job more than worth it.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Sounds neat. Keep it up and help hone your fellow Italians' foreign language skills!
Funny thing is, some are already better at speaking English than I am now! The Italians are a surprising bunch of people when you least expect it. :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
That sounds painful X). I'm playing on medium difficulty, no DLCs, with the "Project Nevada" mod on (mostly) default settings, which makes the game a bit more challenging than it'd normally be. I'm not having too much trouble with most enemies in the game so far (currently level 13). What you want to do against geckos and such is backpedal + strafe to give them minimal chance to hit you while swinging your melee weapon like a madman. You can also use VATS to finish them off. Against some particularly fast and hard-hitting foes (nightstalkers), chems are you best friend.

I've turned the NCR against me and crossed paths with 2 ranger squads so far. Those are pretty tough. But "Project Nevada" adds explosive knockdowns, that helps a lot with crowd control. It also adds a sprint function (which costs AP) so you can close the gap to ranged enemies much faster. Also, you learn to use any available cover to your advantage pretty quickly.

Overall, I'm really having a blast with this playthrough so far :). I can't wait until I level up enough to grab some more powerful melee perks (like Purifier) and try my hands at clearing my 1st deathclaw lair - armed with plenty of mines and pumped up on all sorts of chems, of course!

Oh, and lastly, I'm not really into the game's/franchise's lore, to be frank. I just love the gameplay and atmosphere :>.

I normally play on very hard since I enjoy a good challenge, hardcore mode on too. I did backpedal when fighting against geckos but I got surrounded into a corner, the game glitched so I couldn't move, and I died during the first 10 minutes of the game. :> Oh, nightstakers can be a problem, especially on they are in a group which is common. My main problem are with the companions who are on passive mode so they won't shoot anyone, they just blast away at something in the distance for no reason when they are supposed to stay quiet... -_ -

The first third of the game is tricky if you make the NCR soldiers angry and you head south of Goodsprings instead of north-east toward Black Mountain. They just shoot at you, instead of wishing for a nuclear winter. XD
Then there are the Legion Ambushes from out of nowhere... it seems to happen at random but can be annoying if you just want to run somewhere. Oh, I play on PS3 with Fallout New Vegas but I did try the game on PC once before but my laptop wouldn't play it, shame really.

I normally play a critical build character with a sniper rifle, have a high Luck and Agility rating and most critical hits come to you without even trying. This is of course more useful on Very Hard difficulty, not so much on lower difficulties. What type of armor are you wearing, are you wearing heavy armor like me? In a melee build it makes more sense to wear heavy armor, compared to my usual light armor tactics.

I adore the atmosphere too, I'm more interested in finding out hidden things you never find out on your first playthrough but I suppose we can always juts find them ourselves.
Are you a player who chooses the Wild Wasteland trait on Fallout NV? Some players don't see the point in choosing it when there are other better traits to pick, others like the trait since it's a bit of fun.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:46 am

MojaveRena wrote:I understand, especially if you are used to hearing American English or you intend to learn it, I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, you might get confused between our accents if you swap from one version of English to another.
Well, that was part of my reasoning. I know a handful of people who swear by British English and regard AE as a lesser form of the English language, but I've always been 'surrounded' by media featuring American speakers, so it just feels natural to me.

My main reason for traveling to the US, though, was simply to experience something a bit more unique, something outside the European realm. Ironically, the environment I ended up discovering wasn't all that different from how things look in Germany. At least I didn't feel any culture shock like the trip organizers at my university told me I would.

MojaveRena wrote:Most of the time it's that the plant needs more water or it's needs a bigger pot to grow in
Come to think of it, one of my potted plants is probably in need of a bigger vessel, too. It's been a pain to water it since the pot is more than filled to the brim with earth, so the water tends to just run down the sides of it. It's rather annoying, but I'm too lazy to find a new pot, plus then I'd have to get additional earth to fill it up. I'll probably ask my mother since she actually has a garden and is much more versed in these matters than I am :P.

This weekend, I pumped a lot of hours into my New Vegas playthrough ^^*. I'm at level 23 now, and I feel like at this stage, I can clear any area in the game with a bit of preparation. Entering Dead Wind Cavern got my adrenaline going like you wouldn't believe. For some deathclaws, I used a combination of C4 (which the Project Nevada mod adds to the game) and a Frag Mine to instantly drop them to the ground and knock off half their HP. For others, I just snuck up on them and started swinging my unique fire axe while buffed by Jet, Med-X, Buffout and even some Slasher (which I'd crafted just for this). The legendary deathclaw took ~80% of my health in one hit, but I managed to knock it to the floor and kill it right afterwards.

The ranger squads are now more of an annoyance than an actual threat - unless I encounter them right in the open with no cover around. One scene made me almost laugh out loud: A squad appeared right out of the blue next to an old truck and started feeding me some hot lead. I grabbed a Plasma Grenade, tossed it at them, and well... the ensuing explosion of the truck sent them flyyying across the map XD. Took me a while to find their bodies to loot them.
So far, I've helped the Powder Gangers as well as Caesar's Legion wherever I could. And still, I've had one PG patrol and later one CL patrol attack me for no reason that I could think of. Seems those were just small, isolated bugs, though.

My main issue with companions is that... they die rather quickly. It's probably because the Project Nevada mod ups the global damage multiplier, so everything deals more damage.
ED-E survived for a little while before he met his doom. Veronica was killed by the aforementioned ranger squad before I could blow them sky-high. Now I have Raul with me - I wonder how long he'll be around. Boone won't even talk to me because I don't exactly have the best standing with the NCR. It's fine, though - I think my character is perfectly capable of completing the game on his lonesome. He's not the most sociable guy, anyway (Unless your idea of 'socializing' involves beating people with hammers).
Still, combining companion quests with perma-death on hardcore mode is kind of a questionable game design choice in my mind.

As for your first question, I'm currently wearing medium armor (Reinforced Combat Armor Mk2) because I'm kind of going for a mix of damage reduction, sneaking and agility. However, I also keep some power armor in my stash (which I use for tough encounters) - Project Nevada introduces more possibilities to acquire Power Armor Training since the base game is extremely restrictive in that regard. I still haven't made up my mind what I want to use as my 'main' loadout - power armor with extra STR and higher DT sounds awesome, but it also slows me down more than combat armor does.

Lastly, I've played a character with the Wild Wasteland trait before, but I'm not sure what exactly it changes in the game. Generally speaking, though, I view traits as something fun a quirky, not something to min-max with. That's why my current character only has the Heavy-Handed trait; if I were to build for pure efficiency, I would always pick the glasses trait (free +1 PER).

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:15 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, that was part of my reasoning. I know a handful of people who swear by British English and regard AE as a lesser form of the English language, but I've always been 'surrounded' by media featuring American speakers, so it just feels natural to me.

My main reason for traveling to the US, though, was simply to experience something a bit more unique, something outside the European realm. Ironically, the environment I ended up discovering wasn't all that different from how things look in Germany. At least I didn't feel any culture shock like the trip organizers at my university told me I would..

I don't think AE is inferior in any way since it has helped shape the English language into a more internationally recognized language. BE is known to be more harder to understand because our various accents that can confuse a lot of people, and we sound like we are speaking faster than AE speakers because we like to shorten words. There is also the fact that AE is everywhere; it's on the radio, it's in films, in games etc... so it's likely that a lot of people are already used to hearing it.

I think it's good you tried that, I know some people who don't like to try new things or go to new places since they are more comfortable in what they are already used to. I haven't been out of Europe, what was Nebraska like?

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Come to think of it, one of my potted plants is probably in need of a bigger vessel, too. It's been a pain to water it since the pot is more than filled to the brim with earth, so the water tends to just run down the sides of it. It's rather annoying, but I'm too lazy to find a new pot, plus then I'd have to get additional earth to fill it up. I'll probably ask my mother since she actually has a garden and is much more versed in these matters than I am :P..

That's true, with buying a bigger pot you will have to buy more earth for the pot and a bag of 80 litres of soil costs a lot around here. It also depends on what plant you have got. Generally speaking, the more bigger the plant can possibly grow, the bigger the pot it needs to grow in. You could try to remove some of the soil from the top of the plant and push down on the remaining soil, or use a different type of soil that drains quicker.

The good thing with plants is that they can tell you what is wrong; yellow leaves = more water or plant food. The tips of the leaves are grey = less sun/it's too hot. Leaves that are very weak = either more water or the plant needs a bigger pot. Flowers/fruit come off for no reason = Insect problem or too much wind.
You can also accidentally kill the plant by over-watering it, you know it's enough water when you can see water coming out the bottom of the pot. But in the end of the day, I do sometimes think that some plants are too fussy for their own good. :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
This weekend, I pumped a lot of hours into my New Vegas playthrough ^^*. I'm at level 23 now, and I feel like at this stage, I can clear any area in the game with a bit of preparation. Entering Dead Wind Cavern got my adrenaline going like you wouldn't believe. For some deathclaws, I used a combination of C4 (which the Project Nevada mod adds to the game) and a Frag Mine to instantly drop them to the ground and knock off half their HP. For others, I just snuck up on them and started swinging my unique fire axe while buffed by Jet, Med-X, Buffout and even some Slasher (which I'd crafted just for this). The legendary deathclaw took ~80% of my health in one hit, but I managed to knock it to the floor and kill it right afterwards.

The ranger squads are now more of an annoyance than an actual threat - unless I encounter them right in the open with no cover around. One scene made me almost laugh out loud: A squad appeared right out of the blue next to an old truck and started feeding me some hot lead. I grabbed a Plasma Grenade, tossed it at them, and well... the ensuing explosion of the truck sent them flyyying across the map XD. Took me a while to find their bodies to loot them.
So far, I've helped the Powder Gangers as well as Caesar's Legion wherever I could. And still, I've had one PG patrol and later one CL patrol attack me for no reason that I could think of. Seems those were just small, isolated bugs, though.

My main issue with companions is that... they die rather quickly. It's probably because the Project Nevada mod ups the global damage multiplier, so everything deals more damage.
ED-E survived for a little while before he met his doom. Veronica was killed by the aforementioned ranger squad before I could blow them sky-high. Now I have Raul with me - I wonder how long he'll be around. Boone won't even talk to me because I don't exactly have the best standing with the NCR. It's fine, though - I think my character is perfectly capable of completing the game on his lonesome. He's not the most sociable guy, anyway (Unless your idea of 'socializing' involves beating people with hammers).
Still, combining companion quests with perma-death on hardcore mode is kind of a questionable game design choice in my mind.

As for your first question, I'm currently wearing medium armor (Reinforced Combat Armor Mk2) because I'm kind of going for a mix of damage reduction, sneaking and agility. However, I also keep some power armor in my stash (which I use for tough encounters) - Project Nevada introduces more possibilities to acquire Power Armor Training since the base game is extremely restrictive in that regard. I still haven't made up my mind what I want to use as my 'main' loadout - power armor with extra STR and higher DT sounds awesome, but it also slows me down more than combat armor does.

Lastly, I've played a character with the Wild Wasteland trait before, but I'm not sure what exactly it changes in the game. Generally speaking, though, I view traits as something fun a quirky, not something to min-max with. That's why my current character only has the Heavy-Handed trait; if I were to build for pure efficiency, I would always pick the glasses trait (free +1 PER)..

Wow, that is a hard opponent to beat.. and they nailed the atmosphere in that cavern. I read somewhere that Dead Wind Cavern was made with intention to get your adrenaline going.

The Legion ambushes are exactly the same, that can be really annoying but you could always lower the difficulty and kill them all in 5 hits.
Oh, something happened to me once I retrieved Ranger Morales's corpse during an NCR mission, I got the body and dropped it near some NCR soldiers and just as I was about to press the X button to talk to one of them, 4 Legion soldiers appear literally in front of me blocking my view, demanding retribution for whatever it was. XD

I think they die quickly whatever you do, Boone dies in about 3 hits from a Cazador and this is with his unique armor and stimpacks... Or you are like me and your CHA is 1 so you want more SPECIAL points for INT, LUC and AGI in that order. CHA affects how much damage your companions can take.
Also there is Cass who dies waaaaay too quickly regardless of what hit her. Lily is quite a good melee companion if you don't mind a schizophrenic nightkin by your side (she has a sad story if you played her quest).
I don't think Boone or Cass will talk to you if you are hated by the NCR or liked by the Legion. Try wearing NCR faction armor and trick them into joining you.
Aaaah man, Boone is awesome but useless for when you want to side with the Legion seeing as he will just shoot anyone in Legion armor. (Ah yes, 'socializing' using your favourite cleaver is a rather sadistic way to play the game. Did it once playing as a female character named 'Cleaver Girl' [Higurashi reference] but doesn't offer much reward except for roleplay.)
I'm not sure why companions die on Hardcore mode.. it's a bit frustrating if you want them to live.

Oh, I'm fond of that armor too. ;) Combat armor looks nice on my character and there is a black-colored variant found north-east of the Aerotech Office Park near 2 bridges. That sounds useful to have, since power armor can only be learned by the BoS in Hidden Valley, which is hard to get into without Veronica as a companion. However, I found that power armor is overkill at later levels of the game, and repairing it can cost a pretty penny...

It adds some comedic references to the game but the main reason for choosing it is for the Alien Blaster north-ish of the Horowitz Farmstead. It does a lot of damage but the unique Gauss Rifle found if you don't select Wild Wasteland is better since you can find more ammo for it.
I would say don't choose it, choose either; Built to Destroy, Skilled, Good Natured or Hot Headed as starting traits since they will help you the most on Hardcore.
Oh, for melee characters then it's very different, Heavy-Handed and Claustrophobia (if you have the DLC) are probably the best. Also don't forget to buy the implants for your character!

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:13 am

MojaveRena wrote:I think it's good you tried that, I know some people who don't like to try new things or go to new places since they are more comfortable in what they are already used to.
It's rather ironic that you'd peg me that way, because I'm usually the exact opposite :P. We already discussed sticking to the same mouse/headset model and such. I'm not overly keen on discovering new things in general. But every now and then, I guess even I have my moments ;).

There's not really too much to say about Nebraska. The cities are rather small: I stayed in the capital and 2nd largest city of the state, Lincoln, which counts less than 300.000 inhabitants. There was a lot of landscape between towns, a stark contrast to my own home in the Ruhr Area where a number of cities are more or less interconnected.

Overall, though, I spent most of my time on campus. The university was quite charming (a private institution with ~2.100 students). The best part of it were the other international students and the relatively tightly knit group we became :). People from Germany, France, England, Ireland, Spain, Mexico, Japan, Korea etc. all in the same boat, trying to have a good time in a foreign land. And I think we largely succeeded in that endeavor.

MojaveRena wrote:The good thing with plants is that they can tell you what is wrong; yellow leaves = more water or plant food. The tips of the leaves are grey = less sun/it's too hot. Leaves that are very weak = either more water or the plant needs a bigger pot. Flowers/fruit come off for no reason = Insect problem or too much wind.
Thanks for the advice - these are some neat and concise tips I wasn't aware of before :]. I'll try to keep them in mind for future reference.

MojaveRena wrote:Or you are like me and your CHA is 1 so you want more SPECIAL points for INT, LUC and AGI in that order. CHA affects how much damage your companions can take.
Right, I remember reading about that in a guide. For my current character, I dumped Charisma all the way down to 1 (instead cranking up STR, END and AGI for the most effective melee fighter possible). My journey with Veronica was especially anti-climactic: After hiring her at the outpost, I spent a good 5 minutes talking to her, exhausting all conversation options. 5 minutes later, she died (I only made it as far south as the adjacent sandy fireant area where she succumbed to police brutality administered by NCR rangers) :D.

MojaveRena wrote:(Ah yes, 'socializing' using your favourite cleaver is a rather sadistic way to play the game. Did it once playing as a female character named 'Cleaver Girl' [Higurashi reference] but doesn't offer much reward except for roleplay.)
That's a really cool idea. However, I bet you regretted the fact that Fallout doesn't have a MOE or a YAN attribute, didn't you ;)? It could even easily spell "MY SPECIAL"...

I'm now level 29 and at the point where hardly anything the game throws at me is challenging anymore. I haven't tried yet, but I could probably vanquish a horde of deathclaws at once by popping Slasher, Psycho, Med-X, Turbo and a slew of other drugs which are aplenty in my backpack.
What's really cool is that the Project Nevada mod not only provides a sprint function, but overhauls the implant system - and adds new implants, as well. I'm currently equipped with 2 Kinetic Accelerators, leg mods which slow down time for everything but yourself while you're sprinting. So while I'm madly charging into a group of armed enemies, they can only ready their guns at start shooting me at half speed.
When I don't feel like rushing in head-first, I've got Sneak at 80 while wearing combat instead of power armor. Adding a Stealth Boy into the mix, breaking into the Gun Runners was child's play.
Aaand I'm still using the unique fire axe (Knock Knock). I've got Motor Runner's Chainsaw in my possession, but sadly, that weapon makes 2 of my perks useless (Super Slam! and Piercing Strike), so I feel it doesn't really go well with my build. And all of the lighter melee weapons I've found do much lower DPS (while weight and STR requirements are non-issues for me).
Oh, one more thing: It's astounding that now that I've got more of an ear for English voice actors, I notice just how many characters in this game are voiced by Laura Bailey (and the VA who played Jyde in Tales of Xillia, can't think of his name).

Out of curiosity, how are you doing on your Katawa Shoujo quest? Made any progress on Lilly's route?

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
It's rather ironic that you'd peg me that way, because I'm usually the exact opposite :P. We already discussed sticking to the same mouse/headset model and such. I'm not overly keen on discovering new things in general. But every now and then, I guess even I have my moments ;).

There's not really too much to say about Nebraska. The cities are rather small: I stayed in the capital and 2nd largest city of the state, Lincoln, which counts less than 300.000 inhabitants. There was a lot of landscape between towns, a stark contrast to my own home in the Ruhr Area where a number of cities are more or less interconnected.

Overall, though, I spent most of my time on campus. The university was quite charming (a private institution with ~2.100 students). The best part of it were the other international students and the relatively tightly knit group we became :). People from Germany, France, England, Ireland, Spain, Mexico, Japan, Korea etc. all in the same boat, trying to have a good time in a foreign land. And I think we largely succeeded in that endeavor.

I guess we are all more comfortable with what we already know, and the more used we are doing things in our own way. Oh yeah, you did say you bought the same model Logitech mouse before, because you know how well it works for you.
If you don't mind, let me tell you something about myself; I have been a console gamer for over 15 years now and you could say after all that time, I have gotten so used to gaming on consoles. When I did try PC gaming, it felt out of my comfort zone since I am not used to it. (It's ironic now, I do play games on my laptop, mainly; PC exclusives, Indie games, Visual novels and Hentai games).
There are some games I want to play that will never exist on consoles. The opposite must be true as well, my favourite "Valkyria Chronicles" on the PS3 was never ported to PC so there are many people who will never play that awesome game.

That sounds like a lot of fun, I bet you had a great time there. ^^

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for the advice - these are some neat and concise tips I wasn't aware of before :]. I'll try to keep them in mind for future reference.
You're welcome! Always happy to help. :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Right, I remember reading about that in a guide. For my current character, I dumped Charisma all the way down to 1 (instead cranking up STR, END and AGI for the most effective melee fighter possible). My journey with Veronica was especially anti-climactic: After hiring her at the outpost, I spent a good 5 minutes talking to her, exhausting all conversation options. 5 minutes later, she died (I only made it as far south as the adjacent sandy fireant area where she succumbed to police brutality administered by NCR rangers) :D.

It's good for almost all builds, LUC always goes well with AGI regardless of your playing style but I heard CHA doesn't directly effect your Speech skill? Because you can still tag the Speech skill at the start of the game and get roughly the same bonuses.

Oh, I got attacked by those same NCR rangers today! There sure are some shady activities administered by the NCR when we are minding our own business...(And then there is Vault 11 near that same area... have you been in there?)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
That's a really cool idea. However, I bet you regretted the fact that Fallout doesn't have a MOE or a YAN attribute, didn't you ;)? It could even easily spell "MY SPECIAL"...

I'm now level 29 and at the point where hardly anything the game throws at me is challenging anymore. I haven't tried yet, but I could probably vanquish a horde of deathclaws at once by popping Slasher, Psycho, Med-X, Turbo and a slew of other drugs which are aplenty in my backpack.
What's really cool is that the Project Nevada mod not only provides a sprint function, but overhauls the implant system - and adds new implants, as well. I'm currently equipped with 2 Kinetic Accelerators, leg mods which slow down time for everything but yourself while you're sprinting. So while I'm madly charging into a group of armed enemies, they can only ready their guns at start shooting me at half speed.
When I don't feel like rushing in head-first, I've got Sneak at 80 while wearing combat instead of power armor. Adding a Stealth Boy into the mix, breaking into the Gun Runners was child's play.
Aaand I'm still using the unique fire axe (Knock Knock). I've got Motor Runner's Chainsaw in my possession, but sadly, that weapon makes 2 of my perks useless (Super Slam! and Piercing Strike), so I feel it doesn't really go well with my build. And all of the lighter melee weapons I've found do much lower DPS (while weight and STR requirements are non-issues for me).
Oh, one more thing: It's astounding that now that I've got more of an ear for English voice actors, I notice just how many characters in this game are voiced by Laura Bailey (and the VA who played Jyde in Tales of Xillia, can't think of his name).

Now that's clever! I like that. XD Wait, Imagine the choices or quests in-game this could bring! {QUEST STARTS} "Beware The Wrath of The Killer Lolis..." {OBJECTIVE} "You are being watched... Rena wants to take you home. :3"

I have the special cleaver that is aptly named "Chopper" which can be found relatively quickly, but it has hardly any reach.. I often find myself missing what I am trying to hit (in VATS too, maybe it's a glitch?).
Oh, did you know the chainsaw is silent? There is noise but nobody detects you using it. It's useful against armored opponents but as you said, it makes about 3 perks useless unless you just want to use it for a last resort.

Was it Sam Riegel? I heard him also in Haruhi Suzumiya. :)

Do you normally side with the Legion or the NCR playing Fallout NV? There are not many quests for the Legion but I got bored of having to side with the NCR in my normal playthroughs... so I just do my own thing and stay neutral now.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Out of curiosity, how are you doing on your Katawa Shoujo quest? Made any progress on Lilly's route?
I'm almost at the end of Lilly's route I think, there hasn't been any more choices to make so I think I'm really close the end?