'Ello!

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: 'Ello!

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 am

dmachinee wrote:Actually, I can't speak french one bit. [...]
Huh – that's interesting. I thought my little theory was quite plausible. But then again, I've never watched the 2nd season of When They Cry and kind of formed my own hypothesis about what the heck's going on in that series at the end of season 1. I later let myself get spoiled and learned that the explanation (as revealed in season 2) is entirely different, but to be honest, I still prefer the conclusion I came up with. Guess I'm in blissful denial :P.

dmachinee wrote:it usually adds some level of drama to the story, and with my experiences almost always some humour.
I guess it can be a catalyst for drama in some cases, such as Kusunoki's arc in The World God Only Knows. From personal experience, I'd say the comedy angle is used more often, though. I crack a smile every time I think of the swimsuit episode in A Certain Scientific Railgun :).

Since I haven't seen nor read Genshiken, I can't really speak to your example, but I'd say a BL addiction counts as a 'cute' secret ;).

dmachinee wrote:My apologizes if this post makes little to no sense, as I'm still getting used to the whole posting on a forum thing.
Don't sweat it. If you ask me, posting on a forum is all about finding your own style – just look at mine in all its glo... um, weirdness :D. You'll figure it out given a bit of time. The fact that you're separating quotes instead of overquoting is already a plus in my book :].
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Welcome (back) dmachinee. As a somewhat new poster myself (who also spent a large amount of time lurking and listening) I’m pleased to meet you.
Keying off the subject of characters secretly harboring a love of something (whether it be cute things or secret BL fandom) would you mind sharing with us a “guilty pleasure” anime? Something you’ve watched you really enjoyed but don’t necessarily bring up when discussing favorite shows.

dmachinee
I Like Anime

Postby dmachinee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 am

@Scribblenog Thank you for welcoming me!

So, to your question, I guess if I had to choose a guilty pleasure it would have to be more of the ecchi side of otaku culture. I enjoy most of the shows that I've watched/read. Well, I also enjoy anything that is a little showy, but I have to usually hide it as I have a couple younger siblings in my house. I do it to protect their innocence... Definitely not because I'm embarrassed or anything.
Constantly sleep deprived -.-

I'm a little piece of baked otaku goodness!
But you can call me Dai the Rye! ;P

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 am

Scribblenog wrote:Keying off the subject of characters secretly harboring a love of something (whether it be cute things or secret BL fandom) would you mind sharing with us a “guilty pleasure” anime? Something you’ve watched you really enjoyed but don’t necessarily bring up when discussing favorite shows.

dmachinee wrote:I guess if I had to choose a guilty pleasure it would have to be more of the ecchi side of otaku culture.
Shamelessly jumping in to provide my own answer to the question (I hope that's alright with you): For me, what does and doesn't qualify as a guilty pleasure depends on the audience in question. If I'm talking to an outsider (or newcomer to the anime scene), I surely wouldn't want to tell them about my love for Mysterious Girlfriend X. Or Yamada's First Time. Or Koi Kaze. Or almost any harem anime ever.

However, when my discussion partners are experienced anime fans, I don't have a problem admitting to liking any of the above. Not because of the ecchi parts, anyway. Rather, the only shows I might be a bit uncomfortable bringing up are those which I expect not to be very popular and which I can't put my finger on why exactly I like them so much. The two examples which come to mind fitting these criteria are Moon Phase and the much more recent Wolf Girl & Black Prince.
To elaborate on the latter, I'm usually not too big on shoujo romances. But this title swept me off my feet in a huge way, and although I can point to some small details here and there, I can't for the life of me identify what it is on the whole that makes me love the show so much (particularly since it's received a plethora of negative reviews).

Either way, I'm not too conscious talking about these guilty pleasure series here on the OS forums since I've learned it to be a very healthy and tolerant environment :).

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
I immediately noticed the omission of a certain latter in the thread title, and then read in your short profile that you hail from Canada. Am I connecting the dots right in thinking this is a French influence? Is your actual username also coined by the language (the 'ee' at the end of the word is usually a dead giveaway)?

French people don't normal use hello as a greeting but if they do, it is writen 'allo'.
And there is not word in french (that i know of) that finishes with 'ee' at the end. But you can have accords like 'ée'. The little thing on the 'e' is very important. It changes the sound of 'e' wich is normaly muted in french.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:06 am

fragoff wrote:French people don't normal use hello as a greeting but if they do, it is writen 'allo'.
You got me there. Still, I was thinking more of the generally muted 'h' than that word in particular.

I am familiar with the accent égu (not 100% sure about its spelling, though) and its significance; I omitted it because I figured it wouldn't likely make its way into a username. Also, I'll assume you meant the 'e' being "normally" muted when occurring at the end of a word; the first one in cerise is voiced, after all.

Sorry to derail, just wanted to make it clear that I have a somewhat decent grasp on French, but I only wanted to point out possible French influences here, which needn't be completely accurate in regard to the original language.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 am

Yes, when i said the 'e' was muted, i was talking about the one at the end. This 'e' is called an 'atonic mutted e'.

Don't be sorry for 'derailing'. I just find it entertaining to talk about those things. You can never know to much about other langages. You should see me when someone teaches me some japanese. I am like a fly on a piece of 'censored'! ;)
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

QueenInoue
I Like Anime

Postby QueenInoue » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Hello!
Queen Inoue Shiromaka