Time to Crank Up the Drama

Let us get to know you!
Weisschen
I Like Anime

Re: Time to Crank Up the Drama

Postby Weisschen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 am

BlueSpark wrote: Sorry for hijacking your thread like this, azsxw ^^*. I swear I'll be good now. Weisschen, you're cordially invited to my introduction thread if you feel like chatting some more (so far, it's just Crash Kamio and me filling up page after page :D).

Thank you very much for the nice invite and I will gladly take you up on it. I also want to apologize for forgetting about common forum etiquette not once but twice right after another. It has been a while since I have been on an actual forum. Not derailing a thread just because I am curious about something different is something I need to keep in mind from now on.
I have been to much on reddit lately. ::dread::

I would also like to say that I would not be aversed to re-watching WIXOSS together and maybe opening a rewatch thread(if that is a thing on here)? It having similar themes to Madoka Magica does make me want to watch it that much more, especially since I was already rather interested in the series like I mentioned.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:02 am

Weisschen wrote:Thank you very much for the nice invite and I will gladly take you up on it.
Heheheee, looks I lured in another victim ::mischief::. Joking, welcome aboard. Feel free to look through the high-value content of this thread... and the casual rambling which makes up the remaining seven pages :D. Also, since this is technically my introduction thread, don't hold back on asking me any questions which come to mind.

Weisschen wrote:I also want to apologize for forgetting about common forum etiquette not once but twice right after another. It has been a while since I have been on an actual forum. Not derailing a thread just because I am curious about something different is something I need to keep in mind from now on.
Well, don't sweat it too much. I have yet to see a case of Andrew or Chris actually flexing their authority and reprimanding people for it. Besides, I'm as guilty as you are. United we take our punishment! ... or escape it by hoping nobody cares :P.

Weisschen wrote:I would also like to say that I would not be aversed to re-watching WIXOSS together and maybe opening a rewatch thread(if that is a thing on here)?
Sounds cool :). This would be the first time I've ever taken part in any kind of watch-along, so it'd be an interesting experience. I'm not aware of any regular rewatch threads on this forum, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to create one (and invite anyone interested to join the party).

Perhaps a certain someone around here to whom I've recommended the series would like to join in, as well... Wink, wink ;). Speaking of whom:

Crash Kamio wrote:But I'm with you I love the slight elements of "supernatural". Makes it a bit more interesting and stand out from the rest of the crowd. Regardless whether people think it's good or bad people seem to take notice of that difference, which I take as a good thing.
Right. I believe we already addressed this before, but I think Key is absolutely brilliant in this regard. If you think of Kanon, for instance, the events in it a very much realistic for the most part (leaving aside the demon-fighting). But when
Spoiler:
Yuichi collapses in the snow and Makoto's spirit walks over and 'blankets' him, followed promptly by the 'real' Makoto passing by in her car, it creates a scene which would be entirely impossible - or at least much less effective - without that tinge of supernatural.

Crash Kamio wrote:But even then that's just her getting mad at him for a misunderstanding. I think most women would get mad like that if they were in that situation. So I don't really get her being a tsundere in the anime.
Glad you're feeling the same way. I really did find her to be such a loveable character that, even though Koyuki was really sweet, too, I was rooting for Fuuka all the way. Which is something I can't quite say for Suzuka or Haruhi.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:24 pm

I know I am way late in saying so but...welcome to the forums! Hope you continue to have a great time around here. =)

As I'm just gonna guess that you and Crash have probably talked about every topic under the sun I'll just leave my customary question here:

Any thoughts on the cute girls doing cute things genre? My two favorites which are Non Non Biyori and Is The Order a Rabbit!? never received a dub unfortunately, but I'd still recommend them if you haven't seen em as they are absolutely adorable. ::happy::

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:46 am

I'd say feeling welcome is always a good thing, whether early or late, so I'll take it :).

Ayuu wrote:Any thoughts on the cute girls doing cute things genre?
Well, what's the best way to put it? Phrased in a less formal register: "I can dig it" ;).

I'm not all about fluffy cuteness all the time, but it sure doesn't hurt. I think K-On! is a great series. Glancing over my list of shows that I've watched, I also enjoyed Best Student Council, HaNaYaMaTa, Interviews with Monster Girls, Lucky Star, Soul Eater Not! and When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. Depending on how broadly you define the genre, you could add Air, Clannad, Kanon and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! to the list.

Ayuu wrote:My two favorites which are Non Non Biyori and Is The Order a Rabbit!? never received a dub unfortunately, but I'd still recommend them if you haven't seen em as they are absolutely adorable. ::happy::
While I appreciate the recommendation, I'm afraid I have to decline. A show needs to have some monumental appeal for me to bite the bullet and go for a subbed watch. The only anime which has managed to do that until this point in time is anohana.

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:15 am

BlueSpark wrote:I'd say feeling welcome is always a good thing, whether early or late, so I'll take it :).

Ayuu wrote:Any thoughts on the cute girls doing cute things genre?
Well, what's the best way to put it? Phrased in a less formal register: "I can dig it" ;).

I'm not all about fluffy cuteness all the time, but it sure doesn't hurt. I think K-On! is a great series. Glancing over my list of shows that I've watched, I also enjoyed Best Student Council, HaNaYaMaTa, Interviews with Monster Girls, Lucky Star, Soul Eater Not! and When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. Depending on how broadly you define the genre, you could add Air, Clannad, Kanon and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! to the list.

Ayuu wrote:My two favorites which are Non Non Biyori and Is The Order a Rabbit!? never received a dub unfortunately, but I'd still recommend them if you haven't seen em as they are absolutely adorable. ::happy::
While I appreciate the recommendation, I'm afraid I have to decline. A show needs to have some monumental appeal for me to bite the bullet and go for a subbed watch. The only anime which has managed to do that until this point in time is anohana.

Yeah I wouldn't put all of those under that particular umbrella, though they are all awesome shows. I need to watch Hanayamata at some point soon, it's been on my list forever. Best Student Council I hadn't heard of till now, I'll have to look into it.

Ahh okay. =( yeah unfortunately they aren't very big in terms of popularity so I highly doubt they will ever get dubs. Did you hear that Anohana is finally getting a dub tho?

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Ayuu wrote:Yeah I wouldn't put all of those under that particular umbrella, though they are all awesome shows.
I guess you're right... I'm not quite sure where I'd put the boundaries of the genre, myself. If you don't mind educating me, what about the shows I mentioned disqualifies them as "cute girls doing cute things" series in our eyes?

Ayuu wrote:Did you hear that Anohana is finally getting a dub tho?
Indeed I did. Crash Kamio and me are all over that ::yess::. I did watch it in Japanese first, then in German. I'm expecting the English version will be another step up in terms of enjoyment for me, so I'm very much looking forward to it :).

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:48 pm

BlueSpark wrote:]Right. I believe we already addressed this before, but I think Key is absolutely brilliant in this regard. If you think of Kanon, for instance, the events in it a very much realistic for the most part (leaving aside the demon-fighting). But when
Spoiler:
Yuichi collapses in the snow and Makoto's spirit walks over and 'blankets' him, followed promptly by the 'real' Makoto passing by in her car, it creates a scene which would be entirely impossible - or at least much less effective - without that tinge of supernatural.

Oh definetly, Key are masters at blending supernatural with shows that don't center around it. That's definetly one thing I love about Key adaptations. The slight supernatural touch to make it unique.

Kanon spoilers, I forget what episode but it's late in the series so some big spoilers if you haven't seen it
Spoiler:
Ohhhh man that scene, threw me through a loop first time through. That slight hint of supernatural made that scene very powerful, totally agreed. I'm a huge Makoto fan and after she disappeared it crushed me. The way Yuichi would reference her through out the show made it all the more painful. Then when he collapses in the snow and she covers him I was so confused thinking OH MY GOD SHE'S BACK!! Then we learn the truth and it's like.. oh well. Still a really cool detail and one I didn't see coming a mile away.

BlueSpark wrote:Glad you're feeling the same way. I really did find her to be such a loveable character that, even though Koyuki was really sweet, too, I was rooting for Fuuka all the way. Which is something I can't quite say for Suzuka or Haruhi.

Me too, she's such a sweetie. Koyuki is great too, I was usually having a little back and forth with myself on who I liked more, Fuuka always won though. She just has that charm about her that I'm a sucker for.

You referencing Suzuka makes me want to just watch it more and more. I know what you mean with Haruhi, I love Haruhi, well most of the time. But she had a few moments that made me question her and it's always a dilemma when rewatching it. Cause when she's fun, quirky, charming and cute she's infectious. But when she's unpleasant it's like... why? But she's a unique one that's for sure. Is Suzuka like Haruhi in a way?
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:19 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Ayuu wrote:Yeah I wouldn't put all of those under that particular umbrella, though they are all awesome shows.
I guess you're right... I'm not quite sure where I'd put the boundaries of the genre, myself. If you don't mind educating me, what about the shows I mentioned disqualifies them as "cute girls doing cute things" series in our eyes?

It's a hard genre tag to define because technically speaking all of the anime you named have cute girls doing cute things in them. However, as a genre I usually think of it as anime where there is an all female cast aside from maybe some very minor male characters. If you want to be really strict with the definition I would say the plot also needs to be fairly loose. Doesn't mean that there can't be a more concrete plot but that is generally not the case. The shows in this genre are more focused on developing the characters themselves and watching them do odd antics.

From the examples you gave I would put k-on, best student council president, hanayamata, and lucky star under this umbrella. Interviews, Chunibyo, Air, Clannad, Kanon, and Supernatural Battles I would not put under the tag both due to their main character being male and because their plot is fairly involved.

There's an interested thread on MAL dedicated to this subject and that has a fairly comprehensive list of stuff that could possibly fall under this tag. ^^

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid= ... sg29224245

Weisschen
I Like Anime

Postby Weisschen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Indeed I did. Crash Kamio and me are all over that ::yess::. I did watch it in Japanese first, then in German. I'm expecting the English version will be another step up in terms of enjoyment for me, so I'm very much looking forward to it :).

Wait. Wait. Anohana has a German dub?...how was it? And before we got an english one too?

Such an emotional series (one of my favourites I might say) does make me curious how they handled it.

That's my way to intersect into the conversation by the way as it has been too long since I actually watched it to talk indepth about it with you all XD

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:46 am

Ayuu wrote:It's a hard genre tag to define because technically speaking all of the anime you named have cute girls doing cute things in them. However, as a genre I usually think of it as anime where there is an all female cast aside from maybe some very minor male characters. If you want to be really strict with the definition I would say the plot also needs to be fairly loose. Doesn't mean that there can't be a more concrete plot but that is generally not the case. The shows in this genre are more focused on developing the characters themselves and watching them do odd antics.
Thanks for trying to break it down for me :). I think I get the gist of it. I also remembered that I watched Azumanga Daioh back in the day - that should be an adequate title for this category, too. Unfortunately, even though it's overall pretty similar to Lucky Star, Azumanga just didn't strike my fancy. I wonder if I'd feel differently about it now.

Also, I took a peek at that thread you linked. It looks like an encyclopedia - my mind is officially blown :D. I'm not surprised that out of the list of examples toward the bottom of the first post (starting with Candy Boy), I've only heard of 2 shows, neither of which I've seen. I guess part of the reason might be that it's not a genre that's known to get a lot of dubbed releases.

Crash Kamio wrote:Is Suzuka like Haruhi in a way?
In a way, it's the opposite ;). Haruhi is loud and eccentric; Suzuka is quiet, a bit isolated and pretty rough towards people who haven't earned her trust yet. She exhibits some tsundere traits. My memory of the series is a bit foggy, though - it's probably been at least 5 years since I last watched it. So take my description with a grain of salt.

Weisschen wrote:Wait. Wait. Anohana has a German dub?...how was it? And before we got an english one too?
I was probably just as shocked as you are when I found out about that. And that was right after I had grit my teeth and watched the entire show in Japanese. Can you imagine the intensity of my sigh :P?

Anyway, it was pretty much what I had come to expect from German dubs: serviceable, and a better experience than o-tone for me. Needless to say, the voice-actors didn't sound nearly as 'extreme' in the highly emotional scenes. Judging from experience, I'm pretty confident that the English localization will be the definitive version for me. Guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of months :).