Time to Crank Up the Drama

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: Time to Crank Up the Drama

Postby BlueSpark » Sat May 06, 2017 2:09 am

Yay, someone else is still with us :D!

Well, given my barely serviceable spoken English (Haven't practiced in a good long while), we would probably instantly lose 50% of our listeners. Once I mentioned that I only watch dubbed animes, another 50%. And then Kamio and I would keep on gushing about Key shows and English voice actors... Talk about niche appeal ;).

I'm much better with written language, anyway. Talking puts too much pressure on me, and I tend to stumble over my words :P.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Mon May 08, 2017 8:46 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Yay, someone else is still with us :D!

Well, given my barely serviceable spoken English (Haven't practiced in a good long while), we would probably instantly lose 50% of our listeners. Once I mentioned that I only watch dubbed animes, another 50%. And then Kamio and I would keep on gushing about Key shows and English voice-actors... Talk about niche appeal ;).

I'm much better with written language, anyway. Talking puts too much pressure on me, and I tend to stumble over my words :P.

Just creating an anime podcast will secure you listeners, because there aren't too many out there xP Anime is niche. Podcasts are niche. Anime about podcasts? Even more niche. Anime podcast listeners are desperate for more! (Or maybe I just am xD)

Also, Dubbletalk covers strictly dubbed anime, and they seem to be doing alright (they also just recently took a break so now's your chance! xP)

Anyway, I was just messin ^^ (tho I'd still totes listen to a podcast if you two made one)

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue May 09, 2017 4:58 am

thegenkiguy wrote:Anyway, I was just messin ^^ (tho I'd still totes listen to a podcast if you two made one)
I appreciate it, buddy :). And yeah, I got that it was all in jest.

But just for fun, considering it for a moment, I don't think I'd be cut out for it. I don't have too much interesting stuff to say about my favorite shows - at least not spontaneously. I need to take my time to write things down. And even then, I lack an analytical eye / a critical perspective when it comes to anime. I guess there's always room in the market for an extremely casual podcast, but still... I don't think I would actually want to listen to myself, so I have a hard time believing that other people would :D.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 am

BlueSpark wrote:Yup, that's exactly what his motivation was. But he overestimated her 'endurance,' and things turned out ugly. Then again,
Spoiler:
I suppose Kyousuke considered this a necessary experience which, despite looking like a failure on the surface, still served its purpose - i.e. making Rin (and Riki) slowly grow stronger over the course of all the iterations / time loops.
Man, when it was first revealed how he was involved in all this, I was so furious at him. But after learning more and thinking about the big picture, I couldn't really keep on hating him.

Refrain spoilers
Spoiler:
It did seem necessary to an extent. When they showed the failed time loops and how Rin and Riki would act (Rin shutting down and Riki not being able to handle the situations) I could see why he did it but it kinda ticked me off too. In a way it painted him in a weird way, then you grow to understand why he did what he did, especially when they reveal after they "complete" his tasks pretty much everyone would die due to that bus crash. Of course that didn't happen, probably part to Kyosukes actions but still it did seem pretty tough on everyone at first. Tough love I guess.

BlueSpark wrote:I certainly dont mind, but I'm afraid I won't be able to provide a satisfactory answer, either. The reason for that ties into my 'beef' with anime critics in general: To me, the 'worth' of a series (or movie, etc.) is entirely subjective. I believe liking or not liking an anime is predominantly decided on an emotional level, not an intellectual one. It's a matter of taste, which doesn't exactly lend itself to arguments ;). So I don't buy into the notion of picking apart a show under the pretense of 'objective' analysis.

Of course, I can pick out individual aspects here and there which caught my attention; but in the end, it's about how I feel about the show overall - and that's something I can hardly figure out clearly in my head, let alone put into words.

That said, I can say that I found Asuka incredibly obnoxious (not to mention the butchered pronunciation of her German utterances in the English dub :P). I didn't care for the battle scenes (which is simply part of my taste), and the entire background story just didn't capture me. It's as simple as that, I'm afraid.

That's fair enough, Evangelion can't appeal to everyone. Just because it's loved by many doesn't mean everyone should and will like it. I certainly think it has some pacing issues early on (I can respect it now because there's a lot going on behind the scenes) but it's not until episode 16-
18 where it starts to kick into high gear and where I really start to love it. The rest is great to me but near the end is where it truly shines in my opinion. But as you said it's all subjective. :3 And yeah Asuka is a complaint of many I hear. For some reason I really love her, she's well written, I sympathize with her and can to an extent, relate to her, not fully of course but to an extent. But I totally get why you and many others don't like her.

BlueSpark wrote:That's interesting. Well, as long as you get the appeal of both o-tone and English voice-acting, I'd say that's your win :). As much as cannot stand Japanese VA performances, I've recently come to realize how much I like the sound of Japanese singing in contrast. I find the language (in conjunction with the singers' voices) has a really nice ring to it. I still prefer having English (or German) lyrics I can actually understand without subtitles, but at least, I find it pleasant enough to listen to Japanese OPs and EDs.

Yeah its not often ill perfer a japanese sub over english dub but Kobayashi seems to be a rare case. Japanese singing is amazing. I can totally agree with you on that, any favorite OPs and EDs?

And kinda random but have you seen Ouran High School Host Club? And if you did what did you think of the English opening? Many seem to hate it and I'm kinda curious what you think cause I like it.

thegenkiguy wrote:You guys should start a podcast! xD

Honestly that'd be kinda fun! :D From my brief searches there doesn't seem to be many dub podcasts.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 11, 2017 5:20 am

Crash Kamio wrote:That's fair enough, Evangelion can't appeal to everyone. Just because it's loved by many doesn't mean everyone should and will like it.
Well, I'm still willing to give the rebuild movies a try, but only after all of them have been released in English. I'm not expecting too much, though.

By the way, sorry for going on a rant about my problems with anime critics there :P. I was just hoping it might help you understand my point a bit better.

Crash Kamio wrote:I can totally agree with you on that, any favorite OPs and EDs?
Well, I hinted at this a little bit in one of my early posts here (I believe it was in response to Fullmetal's "lightning round"). While my taste in music generally is strongly rooted in battle and gangsta rap (Something I'm always a bit worried of getting judged for since it's not as popular in Germany as it is in the US), it's all over the place regarding anime music. From J-pop to rock tunes to ballads to more 'eccentric' compositions like Ali Project's works or the first Brynhildr opening, I enjoy a lot of different types of music.

If I had to name one favorite OP/ED, that'd have to be "Perfect-Area Complete!" from Baka and Test. The upbeat sound, the tempo, the vocals - everything just fits into place for me. Especially the beginning of the second verse, where the rhythm of the music slows down while the singing stays at high speed, never fails to amaze me. I also love the brief 'stuttering' moments in both verses.

As for other noteworthy mentions, here are some songs I enjoy, picked at random:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - OPs "Only My Railgun" and "Eternal Reality"
Eureka Seven - OP 3 (the heavily rock-infused one)
The Future Diary - OP 1 (energetic with a creepy undertone)
Another - "Kyoumou Densen" (an acquired taste, to be sure, but nowadays I absolute love it)
Romeo X Juliet - OP "You Raise Me Up" (I actually can't decide whether I prefer the Japanese or Lena Park's English version)
Sword Art Online - ED "Overfly" (might have something to do with Sugu being my favorite character)
Fullmetal Panic! - OPs 1 ("Tomorrow") and 3
ef - A Tale of Memories - OP "Euphoric Field" and ED 2 (Kei's theme)

There's still a number of other ones that I regularly listen to, but I don't think flooding the thread with all the titles as going to be beneficial to anyone :P. Maybe you can name some of your favorites and I'll let you know about the ones we share in common.

Crash Kamio wrote:And kinda random but have you seen Ouran High School Host Club? And if you did what did you think of the English opening? Many seem to hate it and I'm kinda curious what you think cause I like it.
That's a great question, and one that I'll happily jump on :). I'm always excited to hear anime OPs or EDs being sung by English performers. I have seen Ouran (didn't enjoy it as much as many other people seem to, but it was still fun), and I adore the English "Sakura Kiss".

The same is actually true for most of the (rather few) English songs I've encountered: I like "For Fruits Basket," and I like "1000% Sparking" (from Negima!?). Also, one of the Endings of School Rumble is sung in English by the VAs of Tenma (Luci Christian) and Yakumo. The first opening of Case Closed was one I had to warm up to at first since the singer's voice felt a bit weak to me, but I like it these days (although I actually prefer the German version).
Last edited by BlueSpark on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Fri May 12, 2017 5:21 am

I've seen you come,
I've watched you go.
You never seem to leave me though.
So is this love or hate?
We'll see.
You're making me crazy!

I love Sakura Kiss xP

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 12, 2017 6:58 am

thegenkiguy wrote:I love Sakura Kiss xP
Great to hear :).

One thing that irks me about subtitled anime OPs/EDs is the fact that the subs are 'merely' a translation of the lyrics - meaning they don't usually feature rhymes. Also, the number of syllables rarely matches up between the two (understandably so due to linguistic differences). So there's always a disconnect for me when trying to appreciate the singing and the lyrics at the same time.

That's part of the reason why I enjoy dubbed songs a lot. And if I like a Japanese song enough to want to listen to it even outside of watching the anime, I quickly forget the translated lyrics and focus solely on the melodic elements.

There is, however, one single OP I remember whose English writers actually went through the effort of matching syllable count and creating rhymes: The 3rd opening of Ranma 1/2. I haven't watched that series in probably 10 or 11 years, but I still remember the majority of the songtext.

Sweet summer grass that grows wild by the roadside,
Starting each day with a smile that I can't hide.
It's what I know, but may not always be so...

No, I won't forget (how this sky is blue)
No, I won't forget (how this dream came true)
They're the gentle times we'll share forever,
Long past all those times are through

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 am

BlueSpark wrote:Great to hear :).

One thing that irks me about subtitled anime OPs/EDs is the fact that the subs are 'merely' a translation of the lyrics - meaning they don't usually feature rhymes. Also, the number of syllables rarely matches up between the two (understandably so due to linguistic differences). So there's always a disconnect for me when trying to appreciate the singing and the lyrics at the same time.

That's part of the reason why I enjoy dubbed songs a lot. And if I like a Japanese song enough to want to listen to it even outside of watching the anime, I quickly forget the translated lyrics and focus solely on the melodic elements.

There is, however, one single OP I remember whose English writers actually went through the effort of matching syllable count and creating rhymes: The 3rd opening of Ranma 1/2. I haven't watched that series in probably 10 or 11 years, but I still remember the majority of the songtext.

Sweet summer grass that grows wild by the roadside,
Starting each day with a smile that I can't hide.
It's what I know, but may not always be so...

No, I won't forget (how this sky is blue)
No, I won't forget (how this dream came true)
They're the gentle times we'll share forever,
Long past all those times are through

Yeah, most of the time it is a literal translation as you were saying. Though I still do appreciate music sung in Japanese. Not even just for the melodic elements, but I do like reading the literal translation and having that context for the song. So that even if I don't know what each word sung means as it is being sung, I still know what the song is about and can still be affected emotionally by its message.

After looking at the visuals for OP's and ED's, upon re-watches, I always like to read the subtitled translation of the lyrics. I really enjoyed the original OP and ED for Psycho-Pass, for example. The lyrics of those songs fit the themes of the show so well. Even if the literal translations don't rhyme or anything like that, I still really love them. It's almost like poetry, in a way.

As much as I loved fully dubbed songs like Sakura Kiss, I can see how some of the original context from the original language is lost through adaptation. This is getting on a different topic, but it does make me understand the argument a lot of Sub people make when explaining why they don't like dubs. (I personally watch both subs and dubs, so something like that doesn't really bother me as much, but I brought up that point as an example of how much the English adaptation of a song can differ from the subtitled literal translation of a song, and how both can be appreciated on their own for different reasons...if that makes any lick of sense xP).

Also, I had no clue about that in regards of Ranma. That really neat ^^

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 am

thegenkiguy wrote:Even if the literal translations don't rhyme or anything like that, I still really love them. It's almost like poetry, in a way.
It's funny you should say that :P. This ties directly into another pet peeve of mine: I don't care for poetry that doesn't have a rhyme scheme (and a proper meter). It simply doesn't appeal to me. Speaking in literary analytical terms, I care about the form more so than the content. It's the same with my love for rap music - timing, technique, rhymes and punchlines are what impress me about a song. The content isn't anything more than an afterthought, really.

thegenkiguy wrote:As much as I loved fully dubbed songs like Sakura Kiss, I can see how some of the original context from the original language is lost through adaptation. This is getting on a different topic, but it does make me understand the argument a lot of Sub people make when explaining why they don't like dubs.
It's fine for you to bring this up. In fact, I think it's a rather interesting spin on the sub vs. dub debate.

The reason why I firmly stand my ground in regard to songs is the same as in regard to anime shows: I don't see the process as a net 'loss,' like the argument you quoted would suggest. Rather, we also gain something at the same time when lyrics are re-interpreted and changed. The song doesn't grow any shorter just because it's adapted, after all. I don't mind not getting the full 'original intent of the creator" as long as what I do get instead is enjoyable.

Everyone is free to disagree with me on that, of course. That's how taste is defined :).

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm

BlueSpark wrote:]Well, I'm still willing to give the rebuild movies a try, but only after all of them have been released in English. I'm not expecting too much, though.

By the way, sorry for going on a rant about my problems with anime critics there :P. I was just hoping it might help you understand my point a bit better.

No need to apologize! I get what you mean. The rebuild movies are odd for me. The first and to an extent the second (not to the degree of the first) is more or less the series up until a certain point. About a third of the way through the second starts to branch off a bit, then the third movie is completely different. It becomes a whole new beast and just as odd as the original show and End of Evangelion movie. The first movie I'm not huge on, give or take seeing the action amped up a bit, the second is better but more of the same, then the third I really like. It's a good call and on waiting for the final movie to come out though. Can't say I can suggest the movies yet until the final one comes out. Although I doubt it'll sell you on the franchise if it keeps going the way it is, it's still weird, out there and dark.

BlueSpark wrote:Well, I hinted at this a little bit in one of my early posts here (I believe it was in response to Fullmetal's "lightning round"). While my taste in music generally is strongly rooted in battle and gangsta rap (Something I'm always a bit worried of getting judged for since it's not as popular in Germany as it is in the US), it's all over the place regarding anime music. From J-pop to rock tunes to ballads to more 'eccentric' compositions like Ali Project's works or the first Brynhildr opening, I enjoy a lot of different types of music.

If I had to name one favorite OP/ED, that'd have to be "Perfect-Area Complete!" from Baka and Test. The upbeat sound, the tempo, the vocals - everything just fits into place for me. Especially the beginning of the second verse, where the rhythm of the music slows down while the singing stays at high speed, never fails to amaze me. I also love the brief 'stuttering' moments in both verses.

As for other noteworthy mentions, here are some songs I enjoy, picked at random:

A Certain Scientific Railgun - OPs "Only My Railgun" and "Eternal Reality"
Eureka Seven - OP 3 (the heavily rock-infused one)
The Future Diary - OP 1 (energetic with a creepy undertone)
Another - "Kyoumou Densen" (an acquired taste, to be sure, but nowadays I absolute love it)
Romeo X Juliet - OP "You Raise Me Up" (I actually can't decide whether I prefer the Japanese or Lena Park's English version)
Sword Art Online - ED "Overfly" (might have something to do with Sugu being my favorite character)
Fullmetal Panic! - OPs 1 ("Tomorrow") and 3
ef - A Tale of Memories - OP and ED 2 (Kei's theme)

There's still a number of other ones that I regularly listen to, but I don't think flooding the thread with all the titles as going to be beneficial to anyone :P. Maybe you can name some of your favorites and I'll let you know about the ones we share in common.

Ohhh man I love the Romeo x Juliet OP. Goosebumps every time, I gotta finish that show too. I may be biased towards the Japanese one because of the way she hits the high note during the final chorus. Something about the passion she gives in that song brings me to the brink of tears almost every time. The English version is great too though, very moving. :D But anyway enough gushing over that song. I also can agree with Overfly, and Future Diary OP being amazing and among my favorites. And I'll too just list some off that I love

Brighter than the dawning Blue OP "Prelude, We Are Not Alone"
Air TV OP "Tori no Uta"
Clannad After Story OP "Toki wo Kizamu Uta"
Is the Order a Rabbit ED2 "Tokimeki Poporon"
K-On!! OP "Go Go Maniac"
Little Busters OP and ED "Little Busters" and "Alicemagic"
Madoka Magica ED (the first one used) "Mata Ashita"
New Game OP not sure of he title.
Sunday Without God ED (another song that wrecks me) also not sure of the title
Tanaka Kun is Always Listless OP "Utatane Sunshine"
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya OP2 "Super Driver)
Anohana OP and ED "Aoi Shiori" and "Secret Base" (hype for the dub!)
School Live OP (Friend Shinji? I think it's called, also hype for the dub)
Bludgeoning Angel OP in all of its absolute bonkers glory!

I too could go on and on but I always find myself going back to those more than most.

BlueSpark wrote:That's a great question, and one that I'll happily jump on :). I'm always excited to hear anime OPs or EDs being sung by English performers. I have seen Ouran (didn't enjoy it as much as many other people seem to, but it was still fun), and I adore the English "Sakura Kiss".

The same is actually true for most of the (rather few) English songs I've encountered: I like "For Fruits Basket," and I like "1000% Sparking" (from Negima!?). Also, one of the Endings of School Rumble is sung in English by the VAs of Tenma (Luci Christian) and Yakumo. The first opening of Case Closed was one I had to warm up to at first since the singer's voice felt a bit weak to me, but I like it these days (although I actually prefer the German version).

Woooo I'm not alone! Also cool that Genki likes it too. :3 I love the Laura Bailey version of For Fruits Basket too, she sings that so beautifully. I have to get back on School Rumble but I'm sure I'll love the English version of that song too.

Speaking of Ouran, have you heard Vic Mignognas version of Shissou, the Ouran ED? It beats the original Japanese and English version done by whoever did it originally in English for the official release.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUgJiUTrVU