9 Month late but I'm finally here.

Let us get to know you!
Weisschen
I Like Anime

9 Month late but I'm finally here.

Postby Weisschen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 am

Hey, guys after having found this rather endearing Podcast/Site somewhere around 9 Month ago, going on a listening streak and devouring almost all older podcasts available at that time, I stopped my involvment with the anime community altogether shortly after because of life demanding my attention.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right before I could become somehwat involved with this forum, too.

So, here I am 9 Month later trying to get back into Anime. And I thought why not start in a small community rather than jumping into the thresher maws of something like /r Anime.

The only important thing to know about me for now would be that I'm not a native english speaker and also have severe dyslexia. Which becomes rather apparent when reading my texts, especially in chat.

I'm also very much not up to date with anything in the Anime community up to 2 years back and know at most some big shows that aired in that time (Re:Zero etc.) and am more knowledgable about those shows not by actually having watched them but rather by reading wikipedia.

A true fan, right here, ladies and gentlemen.

The last Anime I actually sat down and watched was My Hero Academia season 1. Binged it in one day and felt great about doing it, which was one of the reasons that made me think that I really, really should catch up with some other stuff.

Uff, what else do you write? Big fan of a lot of genres, will always love a good shonen show, Usagi Drop is my jam, it's a good time to be a Fate fan, and Persona 5 Anime when?

Yeah, I think that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

It's nice to meet all of you :)

Fullmetal-Senpai
I Bleed Anime

Re: 9 Month late but I'm finally here.

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:44 am

Welcome welcome welcome, as someone who spends too much time on /a/ I'd suggest staying off of /r/anime it's just an echo chamber sadly. Anyways welcome to the forums hope to see you around.

Here's your lightning round

Do you have a MAL page?

What character do you most want to drink with?

If you could make an original spin off who would it follow, what and where would it happen?

Name an anime character you absolutely hate

You get to have a harem of [6] anime characters of your choice, who do you choose?

In your opinion, what makes a good anime

Is there an anime you wish was more popular?

Name a popular anime you hate

Best op/Ed?

What anime character is most similar to you in terms of personality?

Best mascot

Fastest dropped show? How far?
Join the WWWcast discord!
Join us here
Spoiler:
https://discord.gg/gU4VJjC

http://myanimelist.net/profile/beazleboss

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 am

Heya Weisschen,

Welcome to the Otaku Spirit boards. Let me formally induct you into our ranks as a fellow anime fanatic... or simply say hi, I guess :).

You user name indicates that you might hail from the German-speaking realm (for those not in the know, weiß/weiss means "white" and the -chen suffix is something like the German equivalent to the endearing -chan honorific). Actually, the use of 'ss' instead of 'ß' hints at a Swiss origin. Am I onto something here? If so, glad to meet a fellow German speaker in this cozy little place ;). By the way, if you're indeed dislexic, you certainly could've fooled me - your post reads very nice and clean.

Looks like you've got me beat in the podcast listening department - I'm still at episode 101 at this point. In my defense, I also try to listen to new episodes (starting from 273) soon after they come out so I can take part in the discussion. Since I don't generally follow airing animes, it's nice to have at least something current to chat about with the other members :P. How about you? Since you mentioned binge-watching My Hero Academia, is that your preferred viewing format (It certainly is for me)?

Genre-wise, I'm a steadfast drama and romance enthusiast. So if you ever crave a show along those lines, I'd be happy to pass you some personal recommendations.

Lastly, you will receive a random welcome question just like every new forumite: Is there any kind of head accessory - e.g. hat, ribbon, hairband - in anime that you particularly like(d), either in general or in a specific show? Don't ask me how I come up with these - I call them "random" for a reason :D.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 am

Welcome! Life is demanding my attention lately as well, so I certainly feel you there. Glad to see you're wanting to jump back into the anime community though. And that you chose the OS forums ^^

My Hero Academia is the perfect choice of a show to reel you back in. It's a very fun and easy watch. Season 2 is currently airing (10 episodes into the sub and dub), and it's just as fantastic as the first season, if not more. If you're not caught up already, I recommend it. It's a tournament arc right now, so (if you're like me) you probably don't want to be spoiled on who comes out on top.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:07 am

Heyooo! Welcome to the forums. You'll love it here I'm sure. :3 But anyhow, do you read any manga or light novels?

Also love Usagi Drop as well, a great show. I also started getting into the Fate franchise as well in anticipation of the Heavens Feel movies coming soon. Ive only finished Fate Stay Night, and just got to Fate Zero. Out of all the fate shows which do you like best?

Hope to see you around! And welcome once again.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Weisschen
I Like Anime

Postby Weisschen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome :) I'm will try to answer all of you in one big post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That are a lot of good questions Fullmetal-Senpai :D

Haha, yeah r/Anime is...something. But I'm still always comming back to it, it' like an abusive relationship I guess. You know the dangers but it's just too easy to be a part of.

Do you have a MAL page?

Good question. An old one laying dormant for 4-5 years now. I do not think I even remember the user name or password for it. I wanted to creat a new one anyway. I will link that later today if I have the time :)

What character do you most want to drink with?

If I need to have a drink then it would have to be with Jiraiya from Naruto. Puking after one glass has to be made worthwhile with some perverted stories and life lessons after all.

If you could make an original spin off who would it follow, what and where would it happen?

A slice of life spin off of A certain Magical Index/A certain Scientific Railgun depicting the day to day life of Accelerator, Last Oder and WORST.

I would ki...I mean give a lot to see something like this.

Name an anime character you absolutely hate

Uh, hate? Mhh, the closest to that would be the strong dislike that I feel for Suzaku (Code Geass), I guess.

You get to have a harem of [6] anime characters of your choice, who do you choose?

Six different iterations of Emiya Shirou. The true best waifu / housewife.

In your opinion, what makes a good anime

One I enjoy and feel unreasonable attached to long after having finished it.

Is there an anime you wish was more popular?

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, I guess. I never hear people talk about it. Come to think about it, I really need to rewatch it myself.

Name a popular anime you hate

I feel mostly indifferent towards K-ON and JoJo. I really enjoy the memes of the latter, though.

Best op/Ed?

Don't make me choose.

What anime character is most similar to you in terms of personality?

No one I can think about right now. Probably someone with very bad memory.

Best mascot

Saber.

Fastest dropped show? How far?

Wow, let me try to remember. How was that show called? Ah, here it is (thanks google) Ixion Saga DT 10 minutes in or so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyo, BlueSpark. Du liegst mit Deiner Annahme absolut richtig, ich stamme aus Deutschland. But talking in english is fairer for everyone here, I guess :)

Honestly, I would almost say that I am more confident in my english skills than my german ones. My dyslexia shows itself a lot more in longer words, which we germans have a lot of. I also did not write the text down in a resonable amount of time but took a lot longer and had of course the help of some online spell checkers.

But it is nice to know that I could have fooled you regardless :D

Haha, I do not know if I have you beat per se. It has been almost 9 month after all and I can not claim to remember all that much except for some very memorable lines.

I do like binge watching a lot. Mainly due to it being the only way I actually manage to finish a show XD

Is there any kind of head accessory - e.g. hat, ribbon, hairband - in anime that you particularly like(d)

This is actually an very interesting question. Haha sorry, since I do not remember something truely special right now I will go for the easy answer and say Roronoa Zoro's bandana.

Love the Anime colours for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life can be stressful that is true, thegenkiguy. Thanks for your welcome.

Yes, My Hero Academia was in hindsight the perfect Anime for me to watch and I can't wait to jump into season two (I mean a freaking tournament arc WOOOOOOOOOOO). But I'm unsure whether I should wait until the season is finished to binge watch it or if starting now is a good idea. What do you think?

Crash Kamio, Hoo boy that are the right questions for me :D

I'm actually a lot more of a Manga reader than I'm an Anime watcher. I just like to read at my own pace. Same for Light Novels. So, all in all my knowledge of Manga is a lot more wast than of Anime :)

I'm just reading the Persona 4 Manga for the first time and am re-reading Iris Zero. Both are worth checking out. How about you?

You will not regret getting into the Fate franchise it is fantastic, especially if you are also interested in reading instead of just watching. Just out of curiosity Which Fate/Stay Night did you watch? The 2014 version or the old 2006 version?

My favourite Fate Anime adaptation would be Fate/Zero since Ufotable did a superb job at bringing the light novel to life in Animation.

My favourite Fate story of all time would be the original Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel. Which is absolutly amazing and has been my favourite work of fiction for around 8 years now.

The funniest Fate show that I have rewatched more than any of the other shows is Carnival Phantasm which is a parody/comedy show about Fate/Stay Night (and Type-moon's other work Tsukihime) that can be enjoyed by almost anyone.

Thanks, again!

Haha, I finally finished it :D
Last edited by Weisschen on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 am

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to chatting with you on here :)

So for the question. Are there any genre or type of anime you tend to stay away from?
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Weisschen
I Like Anime

Postby Weisschen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:04 am

Thank you, I'm looking forward to talking to you too!

Are there any genre or type of anime you tend to stay away from?

Harems. I do not watch/read Harem stories. At least if I know that a show is about Harems beforehand, I do not always read the full description of shows and sometimes it does not come up until later in the story. Nisekoi is a good example for the latter.

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 am

Weisschen wrote:Life can be stressful that is true, thegenkiguy. Thanks for your welcome.

Yes, My Hero Academia was in hindsight the perfect Anime for me to watch and I can't wait to jump into season two (I mean a freaking tournament arc WOOOOOOOOOOO). But I'm unsure whether I should wait until the season is finished to binge watch it or if starting now is a good idea. What do you think?

You're welcome xD

Well, this season MHA is going to be 25 episodes long, as opposed to 13 episodes like the first season. We're 10 episodes in now, so if you don't mind waiting 3 or so more months for the season to finish, then you could wait to binge it, since binging seems to be your viewing preference.

If not, now would be a good time to catch up since we're almost at the halfway point. But then, of course, you'd be keeping up week-to-week afterward. But as long as you don't mind that, then I say go for it. Especially if you're wary of the possibility of spoilers popping up over the next few months.

I should also add that MHA is simul-dubbed this time around, which is why both the sub and dub are 10 eps in, so you don't have to worry about being behind everyone else if you want to watch it in English ^^

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am

Weisschen wrote:Honestly, I would almost say that I am more confident in my english skills than my german ones. My dyslexia shows itself a lot more in longer words, which we germans have a lot of. I also did not write the text down in a resonable amount of time but took a lot longer and had of course the help of some online spell checkers.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I've never dealth with dyslexia before, but it's sensible that you'd have an easier time using English with its comparatively shorter words. I'm pretty much the exact opposite in this regard since I earn my living as an editor, writing (commercial) texts for all sorts of companies' websites - and I've been in love with language (German, English, French, Latin, you name it) since I was a kid.

The end result may not actually be so different, though: I, too, tend to invest a lot of time into my forum posts. But that's because my perfectionism demands that I try and phrase every sentence carefully so that it makes for a compelling reading experience. Not sure as to how far I'm succeeding in my endeavor, but I'm having fun doing it, so that should be good enough :).

Weisschen wrote:I do like binge watching a lot. Mainly due to it being the only way I actually manage to finish a show XD
Well, that certainly helps - although some people are probably going to tell you that not finishing certain series (Sword Art Online 1, Death Note and His and Her Circumstances seem to be popular examples) will enhance your experience with them. Not that I agree, but the opinions are out there.

I've actually never tried watching an anime on a weekly basis (well, not since DragonBall Z on TV when I was a youngster). In most shows I watch, I like to notice all the little details and how they affect the story and character relationships. At times, I'm having trouble remembering these details just from one day to the next. So if I had to wait for an entire week between episodes, that'd really mess with me, I think ^^.

Weisschen wrote:This is actually an very interesting question. Haha sorry, since I do not remember something truely special right now I will go for the easy answer and say Roronoa Zoro's bandana.

Love the Anime colours for it.
No worries, answering a question like that on the spot is seldom an easy task. Blame my question randomizer (a part of my brain which I renamed for that sole purpose) :P.

I know nobody asked me to answer my own question, but just for the record: My favorite (off the top of my head) would have to be Ayu's hairband from Kanon - not just because of its looks, but also because of its significance for the story. Runner-up would be Hahuri Suzumiya's iconic yellow ribbons :>.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!