Hey guys!

Let us get to know you!
Ramza
I Like Anime

Hey guys!

Postby Ramza » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Hey guys, I came across your podcast very recently and I enjoy it so much that I had to join your forums. I have listened to quite a few anime podcasts and yours is my favourite by far. The quality of your production and content is fantastic, you hit all the things I enjoy about a podcast.

A little about me, I got into anime in the late 90's with NGE and became hooked from there. I kinda dipped in and out of anime between 2005-2013 but I have recently been catching up on shows I have missed. I picked up your podcast because I wanted a source of anime information and previews/reviews of shows and i have not been disappointed. You guys provide so much information and insightful commentary on Anime studios and news, that it's kicked my anime watching into overdrive just so i can keep up with all the reviews and discussionals haha.

The genres i usually prefer are action, shonen and horror but lately I've been really enjoying Slice of Life/Romance, something I have usually avoided. I just finished watching Sakura Quest and i friggin loved it. Now that it's finished i feel like there's a hole i cannot fill heart haha. It was such a fun, feel good show and Sanae ::blush::

Some of my favourite anime are -
NGE
shingetsutan tsukihime (BIG Type Moon fan)
to aru kagaku no railgun (love the whole toaru universe and Mikasa is besto girl)
Hajime no Ippo
Claymore
Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Anyways, thanks for putting out a quality podcast and i look forward to being a part of the community :)

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Re: Hey guys!

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 am

You have to tell us. Where does the name come from? Your awsomeness level can only go up with the reveal.

Anyways welcome I hope your ready for the barrage of questions. Have lots of fun and make lots of friends.

;-)

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:17 am

A pleasure to have you, buddy (or buddine) :).

Your nickname instantly reminded me of a certain gender-swapping martial arts practitioner with a half-panda for a father. At least the names sound alike. That show was my gateway anime, too, so I guess it's natural that it comes to mind quickly.

Unfortunately, I cannot competently serve you with series recommendations in the realm of action and shounen since those are decidedly not my cup of tea. However, if you wish to listen to someone gush about romance animes (and maybe discuss them with), I'm your man :P.

Like every forum initiate, you will now be graced by a random question:

What age do you generally prefer an anime's main character(s) to be? What are the important pros and cons to older versus younger protagonists for you?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Ramza
I Like Anime

Postby Ramza » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am

Chris wrote:You have to tell us. Where does the name come from? Your awsomeness level can only go up with the reveal.

Anyways welcome I hope your ready for the barrage of questions. Have lots of fun and make lots of friends.

;-)

The name is from Final Fantasy Tactics. Ramza Beoulve is my favourite character of all time! :)

BlueSpark wrote:A pleasure to have you, buddy (or buddine) :).

Your nickname instantly reminded me of a certain gender-swapping martial arts practitioner with a half-panda for a father. At least the names sound alike. That show was my gateway anime, too, so I guess it's natural that it comes to mind quickly.

Unfortunately, I cannot competently serve you with series recommendations in the realm of action and shounen since those are decidedly not my cup of tea. However, if you wish to listen to someone gush about romance animes (and maybe discuss them with), I'm your man :P.

Like every forum initiate, you will now be graced by a random question:

What age do you generally prefer an anime's main character(s) to be? What are the important pros and cons to older versus younger protagonists for you?

Thanks BlueSpark. I am buddy btw ;) (sorry if i disappointed you) :P

As I mentioned to Chris my nickname comes from the character Ramza Beoulve from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sweet, I am looking for a few recommendations for some romance anime. As I mentioned in my introduction I have only recently dived back into anime so I am currently in catch up mode. The reason my taste has focused more towards romance/slice of life is simply because of Tsuki ga Kirei. I had heard really good things about it so i gave it a shot and after the first episode I was hooked. Tsuki ga Kirei gave me all the feels and reminded me why i loved anime all over again.

To answer your initiate question :) - The age I prefer my anime characters really depends on the genre. I do like a good Shonen anime for entertainment and badass fight scenes but my real love for anime comes from a good Seinen anime with solid writing. So I would say i prefer my characters to be in the 15-35 age bracket, leaning more towards 20-30. As I said, it all depends on the genre of anime; a older, mature character in a Shonen isnt what im there to see but that kind of character in a high school drama fits perfectly for me.

What are the important pros and cons to older versus younger protagonists for me? Hmmm...tough question. The cons of a younger protagonist for me is that I generally can't relate to them as deeply as i can with a more mature protagonist. A perfect example would be ReLife, I was so invested in that anime because i could really relate to the main protagonists actions and thoughts.
Younger protagonists are usually fairly linear in their behaviour, and growth, within a show, so they can become predictable, meaning I need a solid story and World to keep me invested. An example is Naruto, super one dimensional character but i kept watching it for the world and interesting side characters (stopped watching when the ninja war started, Madara sucked).

Wow, you really made me think hard about what my anime tastes are haha. At the moment I am super keen on any serious drama/slice of life. I have all of Makoto Shinkai's works queued up and ready to watch, plus Kimi ni Todoke. Anime that can make you feel emotions and invoke deep thought and self reflection are what I am chasing. I know I sound a bit emo but these kinds of anime are really where it is at for me. I could go on and on about this haha.

Same question back at you BlueSpark, what age do you generally prefer an anime's main character(s) to be? What are the important pros and cons to older versus younger protagonists for you?

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Ramza wrote:The reason my taste has focused more towards romance/slice of life is simply because of Tsuki ga Kirei. I had heard really good things about it so i gave it a shot and after the first episode I was hooked. Tsuki ga Kirei gave me all the feels and reminded me why i loved anime all over again.
Oh yeees... I can see how that gem of a show would invigorate your interest in the genre :). When I discovered the series earlier this year, it absolutely blew me away. So much so that I actually rewatched it just a couple of days ago.

Ramza wrote:A perfect example would be ReLife, I was so invested in that anime because i could really relate to the main protagonists actions and thoughts.
And a perfect answer from you ;). I highly enjoyed ReLIFE, as well. It offers a very interesting new perspective on the 'traditional' high school drama. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel OVAs announced for next year. I really hope those get dubbed straight away, too*.

*If there are 3 things you need to know about me, it's that 1) I put the "fan" in "fanatic" when it comes to drama and romance anime, 2) I only watch English (or German) dubbed shows, and 3) I go way overboard on my extravagant writing style.

Ramza wrote:Anime that can make you feel emotions and invoke deep thought and self reflection are what I am chasing. I know I sound a bit emo but these kinds of anime are really where it is at for me.
I'm all in it for the feels, and while that may not be exactly the same thing you're looking for, I'd say it's reasonably close.

It's probably going to take me a couple of posts to get out all the recommendations I have to offer, but for now, I'm going to mention two of my favorite romances:

Mysterious Girlfriend X is a series which isn't talked about much, and when it is, the premise sends most people running. To me, it's one of the most 'pure' and enjoyable romance animes out there. The saliva-tasting really is a plot device more than anything, used to help the two main characters discover what it truly means to be in love and in a relationship with someone. For me, the rather kinky premise was actually what drew me in, and I came out with so much more than I had bargained for - in a good way.

Tsukigakirei knocked down MGX down from my 2nd favorite romance anime spot. My #1, though, is still Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!. Much less realistic than the former two shows, but then again, I'm not someone who needs realism to permeate all my romance animes. Chunibyo is generally more whacky and comedy-oriented, but the growing bond between the two main characters is so endearing and heartfelt to watch at the same time. If you're not into moe and crazy eighth-grade-syndrome hijinks & jokes, you might want to skip it (as much as it pains me to say this), but I've watched both seasons 4 times so far and still love every bit of it.

Ramza wrote:Same question back at you BlueSpark, what age do you generally prefer an anime's main character(s) to be? What are the important pros and cons to older versus younger protagonists for you?
Ugh... I'm notoriously bad at answering my own random questions :P. I appreciate you going into detail on your answer. I'm just going to say that I like impressionable youths to lead my feels-focused shows - there's a certain sense of wonder in watching them make discoveries at an age where they have yet so much to learn about themselves and the world. I prefer high school ages, but Tsukigakirei has proven quite splendidly that a story revolving around kids who are a little younger can be amply fascinating, as well.

Of course, some show formats simply don't work with that age group. When I imagine Psycho-Pass starring high school characters in the main roles, I don't think I could take that show very seriously :P. What I will say is that there might be potential to craft stories which actually employ an old person (I'm talking grandparent age) in the lead role. I don't know in how far that's been done before... No, Howl's Moving Castle doesn't count ;). But the great-grandmother in Summer Wars, for instance, was such a badass character that I can't help but wonder what her personal story would look like.

Anyway, to conclude for now, if I may insert some shameless self-promotion: It'd be cool if you'd check out my forum game. If you've watched a decent number of animes and know a decent number of characters, you're all set. It's creative, sometimes outright silly (depends on if the players want it to be), but overall a whole bag of fun, at least for me :). Unfortunately, not too many people have been participating regularly - but that just means there's a nice opportunity for you to jump in and make your mark :P!

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 am

Heya Ramza. Welcome to the forum. I had a couple of recommendations I thought I'd throw your way. Oremonogatari is a cutesy romance that was actually pretty enjoyable. Lots of awkwardness. I find the main character to be a bit much at times but I thought the overall anime was sweet.
For a good slice of life anime with perhaps the finest hint at potential romance I'd recommend Hyouka. Always a favorite of mine. Very appealing visually. Entertains to watch even with the lacksidasical pace.
I also strongly second BlueSpark's suggestions of Love Chunni and Mysterious Girlfriend X. The first is so sugary sweet and adorable it's instant diabetes. Mysterious Girlfriend is weird. Weird and awesome. With the weirdness though there's really strong ideas of romantic ideals. Truthfulness, trust and openness with one's partner. And spit. Lots of tasty, tasty spit.

Ramza
I Like Anime

Postby Ramza » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm back!

I've been on Holidays for 4 weeks guys so that's why I haven't been active on the forum for a while. I am back to my usual life now so im watching anime again and able to reply to posts :)

BlueSpark wrote:*If there are 3 things you need to know about me, it's that 1) I put the "fan" in "fanatic" when it comes to drama and romance anime, 2) I only watch English (or German) dubbed shows, and 3) I go way overboard on my extravagant writing style.

It's nice to know that im not the only romance fanboy around haha. I rarely meet people who watch only dubbed anime. If i might ask, why do you watch dubs instead of subs BlueSpark? Personally i only watch subbed anime.
I love your writing style! I am not much of a literary person so I find it difficult to put my thoughts onto the screen. It is something i am trying to improve upon so you will have to excuse any confusing and/or terrible grammar.

BlueSpark wrote:t's probably going to take me a couple of posts to get out all the recommendations I have to offer, but for now, I'm going to mention two of my favorite romances:

Mysterious Girlfriend X is a series which isn't talked about much, and when it is, the premise sends most people running. To me, it's one of the most 'pure' and enjoyable romance animes out there. The saliva-tasting really is a plot device more than anything, used to help the two main characters discover what it truly means to be in love and in a relationship with someone. For me, the rather kinky premise was actually what drew me in, and I came out with so much more than I had bargained for - in a good way.

Tsukigakirei knocked down MGX down from my 2nd favorite romance anime spot. My #1, though, is still Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!. Much less realistic than the former two shows, but then again, I'm not someone who needs realism to permeate all my romance animes. Chunibyo is generally more whacky and comedy-oriented, but the growing bond between the two main characters is so endearing and heartfelt to watch at the same time. If you're not into moe and crazy eighth-grade-syndrome hijinks & jokes, you might want to skip it (as much as it pains me to say this), but I've watched both seasons 4 times so far and still love every bit of it.

Thanks for the recommendations! I managed to get a hold of both Mysterious Girlfriend X and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! I have only watched MGX so far. I will say straight away that MGX isn't the kind of romance I am usually interested in, HOWEVER, I did thoroughly enjoy it! After the first few episodes I realized what kind of romance it was, and I settled into the atmosphere and really enjoyed the ride. The spit dynamic was interesting and a good driver between the two main characters. What hooked me the most about MGX was Urabe. She was such a unique character and I loved her personality. She was quirky and weird yet had such a air of confidence about her. The little moments where the confidence would disappear and her youthful innocence would show through were truly wonderful. Watching Tsubaki deal with Urabe's quirky nature and his own teenage desires was great. I also have to throw a special mention to Oka, she was also a fantastic character to see on screen. Overall i really enjoyed the series, the opening was awesome, the animation was great, it had a very 90's anime look to it. There was Ecchi but i i felt like it wasn't over the top or in your face but was used tastefully in line with the atmosphere of the show.

I haven't started Chunibyo yet as the moe aspect puts me off a little. I'll need to simmer on it for a bit longer before i decide to watch it.

So, after watching Mysterious Girlfriend X and needing a more adult romance fix, I went into the depths of the internet to find some more romance anime recommendations. Based off the recommendations I found, I decided to watch Kuzo no Honkai(Scum's Wish) and White Album 2.

All i can say about these two are HOLY CRAP! I watched these a week apart from each other and the days afterwards I was in a emotional black hole. These two shows were exactly what I had been looking for. They are now my #1 and #2 picks, White Album 2 being #1 and Kuzo no Honkai #2.

I would definitely recommend White Album 2 to you. I didn't watch the first White Album, apparently you don't need to as it wasn't particularly good, and the story doesn't continue. The story is a basic Love Triangle between a male and two girls. The animation is great and the music was excellent.

Kuzo no Honkai(Scum's Wish) is another show that gave me a huge emotional uppercut right in the stomach. This show is definitely not something i would recommend to everyone as the story is quite different to most romance anime; It's uncomfortable, everyone is messed up on some level and gives you insight into loneliness and unrequited love. This show resonated with me so much because I have had experiences in my own life that were very similar to what the characters go through. I could understand every choice they made and why. It definitely took me down nostalgia lane haha. Scum's Wish is the anti-Disney of romance, so if you want feel good fun then this isn't for you.

Both of the anime i mentioned are exactly what i love about anime and why i continue to watch the seasonal shows. I do enjoy other genres, but it's the above mentioned shows that make me love this medium.

Scribblenog wrote:Heya Ramza. Welcome to the forum. I had a couple of recommendations I thought I'd throw your way. Oremonogatari is a cutesy romance that was actually pretty enjoyable. Lots of awkwardness. I find the main character to be a bit much at times but I thought the overall anime was sweet.
For a good slice of life anime with perhaps the finest hint at potential romance I'd recommend Hyouka. Always a favorite of mine. Very appealing visually. Entertains to watch even with the lacksidasical pace.
I also strongly second BlueSpark's suggestions of Love Chunni and Mysterious Girlfriend X. The first is so sugary sweet and adorable it's instant diabetes. Mysterious Girlfriend is weird. Weird and awesome. With the weirdness though there's really strong ideas of romantic ideals. Truthfulness, trust and openness with one's partner. And spit. Lots of tasty, tasty spit.

Hey Scibblenog. Thanks for the welcome buddy :) Thanks for the recommendations as well. As i mentioned to BlueSpark, I have seen MGX and really liked it, but i haven't watched Chuuni yet. I have heard of Oremonogatari but forgot what it was called so i couldn't add it to my backlog. Thanks for reminding me! It's pretty high on my list so hopefully i will watch this by the end of the month.

By any chance have you seen Nana? I keep seeing it recommended to me but I am unsure about watching it due to the length of the show (40+ eps)

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:46 am

First off I will recommend Nana. It looks great, the animation and character designs are fantastic. The storyline is mature-ish and it's full of drama.
Now for a caveat: I have not completed the entire run of the series. It's one of those anime I start watching only to have something new pop up. I forget about it, go back and start it again.
I do like it a great deal though and something about the art style really appeals to me so I don't mind the rewatch. It's on my list of shows to finish up soon.
After reading your response to BlueSpark it appears to me that you, like myself, Appreciate some of the bleaker sides of romance anime.
White Album 2 and Scum's Wish are, indeed, brilliant. Allow me to counter with a couple more that, while not quite so grim, carry similar feels. They are harder to find. I have seen them on some of the services before, but they come and go.
So Garden of Words and Bokura ga Ita. The former is a movie that is straight up eyeball candy. Bittersweet story of slightly broken people finding one another. Bokura is very much a shoujo style romance. It has some nice story elements to explain why the male lead is a Clean-Clean-kun.
I'll try to think up some more. Emotional masochism is where I enjoy wallowing.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 am

I can't recommend Nana enough.In my opinion it's best romance anime out there, gripping, mature and wonderfully directed.

To add to Scribblenog list I would say to give all Makoto Shinkai works a shot.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 am

Welcome back, Mr. Ramza. Hope you had an enjoyable vacation not too marred by anime withdrawal ;).

My writing 'quality' (readers' appreciation may vary, though I'm glad you like it :)) stems from my infatuation with language in general. As a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics (which is a bilingual course of studies), I had ample opportunity to hone my craft at university. However, creating posts on a forum feels somewhat more liberating in comparison to the slightly 'dusty' academic writing style (although there's quite a big contrast between German and English academic writing, too). These days, I just toss familiar speech and language of higher registers together and curiously discover how things mesh :D.

If i might ask, why do you watch dubs instead of subs BlueSpark? Personally i only watch subbed anime.
The answer to that is twofold: 1) I dislike having to focus on the bottom of the screen while watching instead of taking in the whole picture, and 2) the sound of Japanese voice-acting simply rubs me the wrong way. It feels too unnatural (overacted) to me in most cases. While German dubs frequently suffer from the opposite, I find English voice performances to strike the perfect middle ground.

It's great to hear you enjoyed Mysterious Girlfriend X, and your perception of the individual aspects you outlined matches up a lot with my own. Both White Album 2 and Scum's Wish are high up on my Aaargh, why is there no dub yet :x? list. But as you've probably already noticed, scribblenog is your man when it comes to this type of 'mentally unstable' series.

Ramza wrote:By any chance have you seen Nana? I keep seeing it recommended to me but I am unsure about watching it due to the length of the show (40+ eps)
I have indeed watched all of Nana. The 40-some episodes were a bit daunting, but I was highly surprised to find that I was pretty much never bored with the show. Given its length and the fact that it's a pretty old anime (I overall much prefer newer shows over old ones), I'd call that quite a feat. Definitely one of the better shoujos I've seen so far.

Speaking of which: Another surprise hit I watched this year was Wolf Girl and Black Prince. Shoujo romance series tend to be hit-or-miss for me, leaning more towards the miss side, unfortunately. This one, however, swept me completely off my feet (watched it in German, by the way, in case you were wondering since it hasn't been dubbed in English). The (initially) abusive relationship between the two leads was intriguing and let to some emotional scenes which hit me unexpectedly hard. The comedy (as usual in this genre) was a nice complement. I'd definitely give it a chance; it's a short 1-cour anime, too.

I'll have to wrap it up here and maybe get into some stuff that's more on the drama side in my next post.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.