Hey guys!

Let us get to know you!
Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Re: Hey guys!

Postby Scribblenog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 am

Oops. I saw you already had Makoto Shinkai's works listed as ready to watch so my recommendation of Garden was redundant. I admit I had to google the name as I was unfamiliar. Every title I saw in there is good stuff.
Let me also throw out Ef Tale of Memories and if you can find it, Kimi no Iru Machi.
Last edited by Scribblenog on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 am

::shocked:: Shame on you, scribblenog - suggesting my favorite anime of all time before I do! Well, actually, I was too slow getting around to it. Plus I can't fault your taste, so it's all good in the end ;).
But yes, ef - A Tale of Memories & Melodies ist my #1 anime series. It oozes romantic melodrama, so if you're someone for whom that kind of 'cheesiness' (as some tend to call it) is too much, you might not appreciate it. To me, its emotional intensity makes it nothing short of a perfect ride on the feels train. There's some impressive visual work, too (coming out of the prestigious studio Shaft), but that's a lesser point for me since I don't fawn over visuals much.

Trying out Shinkai's works is probably a safe bet, as well - they're beloved by a huge part of the anime community. Myself, I could never quite warm up to his style, but I did enjoy Garden of Words to a decent extent.

Given that you're as of yet unsure about moe-heavy titles, that probably rules out the big-drama Key adaptations (Air, Kanon, Clannad) for the time being. These use the clash between overly cute girls and heartbraking (but also heartwarming) circumstances and developments to great effect.

Besides that, Toradora! might be up your alley. The show takes on the air of a typical romantic comedy at first, complete with a violent tsundere female lead. However, the depth of the characters, their development and the subtle ways in which the anime presents them are simply marvelous in my book. It transitions from comedy early on into the more dramatic back half of the story seamlessly. And while somewhat open-ended, the romantic development is definitely satisfying enough in my book.

By the way, I never commented on your mention of Railgun in the opening post. That one's a really smart hybrid between slice of life and action which actually managed to get me pumped for its battle sequences. And that's a rare feat because I usually get bored to death by fighting scenes in anime :P.

I'm going to use the last bit of space in this post for another bit of self-promotion - we're still looking for players in my forum game (link in my signature). Feel free to check it out and jump in if it sounds fun to you ^_^.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Ramza
I Like Anime

Postby Ramza » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Welcome back, Mr. Ramza. Hope you had an enjoyable vacation not too marred by anime withdrawal .

Thanks BlueSpark! I did not realise I hadn't said hello to you since I have returned :o My bad. My vacation was very enjoyable but i was starting to have some anime withdrawals towards he end which kinda surprised me to be honest. But, I am slowly making time to watch anime again. I really need to cut back on my other hobbies.

BlueSpark wrote:1) I dislike having to focus on the bottom of the screen while watching instead of taking in the whole picture, and 2) the sound of Japanese voice-acting simply rubs me the wrong way. It feels too unnatural (overacted) to me in most cases. While German dubs frequently suffer from the opposite, I find English voice performances to strike the perfect middle ground.

I can totally understand your first point as it is the most common explanation I receive from people who watch dubs. I have been watching subbed anime for so long that it's natural for me to read and watch simultaneously. I think reading subtitles has improved the acuity of my peripheral vision haha. I also took a few semesters of Japanese while I was at University so I can understand some dialogue without the subtitles which means I dont need to focus on reading subtitles all the time.
As for the voice acting, I have only a small amount of exposure to dubs but that is mostly because i cannot stand them. The first anime i ever watched was dubbed (NGE) but afterwards I was exposed to subs and i loved the how much more emotion the Japanese voice actors could inject through speech. Having said that, english dubs maybe a lot better now.

BlueSpark wrote:It's great to hear you enjoyed Mysterious Girlfriend X, and your perception of the individual aspects you outlined matches up a lot with my own. Both White Album 2 and Scum's Wish are high up on my Aaargh, why is there no dub yet ? list. But as you've probably already noticed, scribblenog is your man when it comes to this type of 'mentally unstable' series.

MGX was a lot of fun and has been added to my 'Top Tier Anime' collection. If it wasn't for you i would never have seen it. Thanks again for that dude :) I really wish i was better at communicating my thoughts as there is a lot more i could say about the show. Gah, this is bringing me back nightmare from uni essays haha.

I honestly can't see White Album 2 getting a dub but Scum's wish might as it's fairly recent. It's a shame because White Album 2 is fantastic. I am seriously in love with this show. I just finished rewatching it and am now considering getting the VN. I need more Touma!!!!! ::anger::

Scribblenog wrote:First off I will recommend Nana. It looks great, the animation and character designs are fantastic. The storyline is mature-ish and it's full of drama.

BlueSpark wrote:I have indeed watched all of Nana. The 40-some episode were a bit daunting, but I was highly surprised to find that I was pretty much never bored with the show. Given its length and the fact that it's a pretty old anime (I overall much prefer newer shows over old ones), I'd call that quite a feat. Definitely one of the better shoujos I've seen so far.

Sold! I 100% trust both you guys and your recommendations so I will dive right into Nana :D

BlueSpark wrote:Speaking of which: Another surprise hit I watched this year was Wolf Girl and Black Prince. Shoujo romance series tend to be hit-or-miss for me, leaning more towards the miss side, unfortunately. This one, however, swept me completely off my feet

That's some high praise coming form you. Consider it added to my list.....and bumped to the top haha.

BlueSpark wrote:Shame on you, scribblenog - suggesting my favorite anime of all time before I do! Well, actually, I was too slow getting around to it. Plus I can't fault your taste, so it's all good in the end .
But yes, ef - A Tale of Memories & Melodies ist my #1 anime series. It oozes romantic melodrama, so if you're someone for whom that kind of 'cheesiness' (as some tend to call it) is too much, you might not appreciate it. To me, its emotional intensity makes it nothing short of a perfect ride on the feels train. There's some impressive visual work, too (coming out of the prestigious studio Shaft), but that's a lesser point for me since I don't fawn over visuals much.

Hahaha. I am really curious as to why you didn't recommend me your heavy hitter straight away? Gauging my tastes perhaps?

Okay so my watch list now looks like this, in order of priority.

ef - A Tale of Memories & Melodies
Wolf Girl and Black Prince
Nana
Clannad

Kocurek1944 wrote:After reading your response to BlueSpark it appears to me that you, like myself, Appreciate some of the bleaker sides of romance anime.

Kocurek1944 wrote:Emotional masochism is where I enjoy wallowing.

I never really thought of my fascination with dark/bleak romance as a form of emotional masochism. I didn't even think to link the two which kinda of shocked me to be honest, as i am very introspective and somewhat of a existentialist.
I would really like to hear your insights into why you enjoy these types of romance. In general, I am curious as to why people are drawn to anime and certain genres. Sorry if I am getting too deep and personal.

Why I enjoy these types of shows is because I find it fascinating that a 'cartoon' can elicit such strong emotions, and personal attachment to fictional characters. Now, I say 'cartoon' only to generalise it as a type of medium. There's plenty of other mediums out there that can do the same thing for other people, film, music etc. but for me, it is specific to anime. I cannot really say for certain why anime can have such a profound impact on me but i can make a few assumptions if i had to. Either way, it's the romance genre that i enjoy the most, even it destroys me for a few days afterwards haha.

Wow, so i kind of went off on a tangent there and got a bit heavy. Anyways, to lighten things back up I will say that i will get cracking on my watch list and I continue to be more prominent on the forums. I am really digging the friendly community and it's great to meet some like minded people.

BlueSpark wrote:I'm going to use the last bit of space in this post for another bit of self-promotion - we're still looking for players in my forum game (link in my signature). Feel free to check it out and jump in if it sounds fun to you ^_^.

I hadn't forgotten since the first time you mentioned this but I was intimidated a little by this game. I'll participate where I can though :)

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 am

Ramza wrote:I really wish i was better at communicating my thoughts as there is a lot more i could say about the show. Gah, this is bringing me back nightmare from uni essays haha.
I thought you did a fine job of it, actually. I always struggle with this process myself, unable to put my finger on why exactly I like a series as much as I do or how to explain it in a comprehensible manner. But then again, I'm anything but analytical when it comes to watching animes as a pastime – I just absorb them as a whole, which is also reflected in my binge-watch-only policy (I always watch through a show completely before starting the next one); I don't want to scrutinize individual episodes.

Ramza wrote:MGX was a lot of fun and has been added to my 'Top Tier Anime' collection. If it wasn't for you i would never have seen it. Thanks again for that dude :)
You're quite welcome :). Spreading your love for something to others and seeing them enjoy it always feels great. I'm glad you have confidence in my recommendations, but at the same time, I hope you don't rely on my endorsements too much, because we all know how high expectations can turn a viewing experience sour when you find you're getting something different than what you bargained for. I am quite confident in recommending ef – A Tale of Memories, for example, but Wolf Girl & Black Prince is a show a lot of people disliked because they couldn't stand the somewhat screwed-up relationship of the main couple. You may or may not feel the same after watching it (I would urge you not to drop it mid-way, though, as there's quite a substantial development to how they treat each other).

In regards to ef, I didn't bring it up at first because I was limiting myself to romance suggestions – and strictly speaking, I consider that series a (romantic) drama. I have my own little system of categorizing animes into genres, based on which ones are most prominent in a given series. Mysterious Girlfriend X is strictly a romance in that context, while Chunibyo would be romance and comedy (with minor drama elements). Oh, by the way, don't forget that A Tale of Memories has a sequel/spin-off called A Tale of Melodies.

Ramza wrote:Either way, it's the romance genre that i enjoy the most, even it destroys me for a few days afterwards haha.
Just reading that sentence instantly made me think of Rumbling Hearts. It's another romantic drama, but one with an incredibly depressing mood throughout. I don't like to view myself as "masochistic" for enjoying shows like these, but I do think there's a level of emotional resonance and catharsis that's rather unique to these types of anime stories.

Ramza wrote:I hadn't forgotten since the first time you mentioned this but I was intimidated a little by this game.
I can see how that could be the case. If you don't mind my asking, is it that you don't feel you know enough characters to competently participate? Is it that you think the competition is too strong? The fact that the thread is already several pages long? Or just that it takes too much time to come up with strong candidates? Because I know that latter to be true in some cases from my own experience :P, but I still find it to be great fun. If it's not your thing, however, no pressure.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:20 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Shame on you, scribblenog - suggesting my favorite anime of all time before I do! Well, actually, I was too slow getting around to it. Plus I can't fault your taste, so it's all good in the end .

Teh heh, sorry for stealing your thunder BlueSpark, but the as the the topic popped up I happened to glance just above and saw your sig. Couldn’t help myself.

Ramza wrote:I never really thought of my fascination with dark/bleak romance as a form of emotional masochism. I didn't even think to link the two which kinda of shocked me to be honest, as i am very introspective and somewhat of a existentialist.
I would really like to hear your insights into why you enjoy these types of romance. In general, I am curious as to why people are drawn to anime and certain genres. Sorry if I am getting too deep and personal.

No worries. My interest in grim/dark/tragic romances is neither deeply personal, nor the product of enduring psychological scarification. For me, it’s a matter of taste. I enjoy a good romance or rom-com. I love sweet stories of boy meets girl. Series like Tsukigakirei and Oremonogatari make me happy.
On the flip side, however, I wait anxiously for a love triangle to explode and one character to run off crying, broken-hearted, in the rain. Two guys fighting over the same girl, I’m in. Girl starts daring the school’s “hot guy” and becomes the target of ruthless bullying, I’m so watching that. Girlfriend gets hit by a bus and ends up in a coma allowing best friend to move in on her man, nice.
Disney teaches us misery and unhappiness are not supposed to be part of a love story unless there’s a dragon or a wicked witch. What if the biggest hindrance to you relationship is your best friend or even your own unresolved feelings for your childhood friend? That’s when things get nice and complicated and no magical rose or fairy dust can resolve the issue.
Ultimately I don’t really care if there’s a happy ending or not. The struggle and emotional anguish the characters suffer through keeps me engaged. Perhaps there’s some sadistic elements there or maybe I can identify with the heartbreak side a little too well. Then again maybe it was reading all those Danielle Steele novels I swiped from my mum growing up.
If I was to break it down, I would have to say a part of me enjoys media that makes me feel uncomfortable. I’ll marathon the Saw series if I’m in the mood to be squigged out. I’ll throw on Clannad for the emotions it evokes. I’ll read Ayu no Monigatari if I want to feel hopeless and dirty.
Vicarious thrills, maybe?

I know there are a few anime/manga I’ll consume from time to time because I feel the need for a good sniffle. As for why I’d choose anime or manga over other media to evoke such responses is pretty simple. I find (wide generalization) anime and manga very visually appealing. The expressions that can be portrayed by a typical “anime style” character take the emotional turmoil being felt and crank it over 9,000. The Higurashi face, Gasai Yuno’s yandere gaze, the uncontrolled snot rivulets in Anohana...that sells me on the weight of the emotions I’m being asked to feel.
I could probably ramble on for another few thousand lines but I think I’ll stop for now. I saw your near future watch list. Excellent choices. Please tell us what you think of them.
And I assure you guys I am a totally rational, functional and emotionally balanced fellow. Really. Totally. I Swear.