New here but longtime Otaku

Let us get to know you!
Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

New here but longtime Otaku

Postby Chihirolee3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:27 pm

I only recently found Otaku Spirit Podcast, as I had to upgrade from a flip phone to a smart phone. Fell in love with the show and had to join.

I am 26 years old. I am hobby blacksmith and stained glass creator. I am a welder and machinist by trade. 90% of my entertainment is anime, with the other 10% being a mix of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and Youtube. I enjoy reading and have a library of over 2,000 books (I'm into Tolkein-esc fantasy, theology, history, metalworking and DIY books). I do not have internet at home (or TV) which makes my smartphone a glorious thing. I live rural (rural enough for Dial-up) and rely on the library. I am also a steam enthusiast, as my long term dream is to build a miniature steam traction engine. My favorite time of the year is Labor Day Weekend, as one of the largest steam shows in the nation takes place, Rollag (or WMSTR- Western Minnesota Steam Thresher's Reunion). I work up there as a boiler operator for the world's 2nd largest operational steam shovel. It's the best feeling in the world to be shoveling coal into a behemoth machine.

I have 2 cats (working on getting a dog), and wonderful husband of 6 years. A very serious man, he is a hard worker and a welder himself. Together, we are starting our own welding shop in our town. He is very detached from modern technology as he pretty much lives in his metalworking. He is not an otaku, although he loves Ghibli (Nausicaa being is favorite, and the first movie we watched together). I try to get him more into it, and do what I can to appeal to his tastes (Ghibli-esc fantasy and maturity). I have gotten him to recently see Made in Abyss and currently Ancient Magus' Bride. I do not have any IRL friends that are huge into anime (in fact, none of them are) so I've been living my otaku life fairly alone and it would be great to engage with others. Plus, being a woman that's into what I'm into (steam and metalworking), I don't really fit in well with other adult women (who are all off having kids and focused on things like fashion), so it's hard to relate.
As far as anime goes, I've been watching religiously since I first went to college in 2009. However, my first experience with anime was Naruto back in middle school. What solidified me was the fight between Rock Lee and Gaara way back in the day (talk about nostalgia trip). I couldn't watch anime much besides what was on tv growing up (I remember they had Pokemon's 1st season on Boomerang when I was a junior/senior in high school and had to watch every morning as I got ready for school). I joined an anime club in High School and remember watching S-Cry-Ed, Princess Tutu, and Ergo Proxy, but not much else besides socializing.

Since college, I have seen my tastes grow and mature (as life does that to you). I am mainly into Seinen stuff now (mainly because I'm married and beyond what a majority of high school anime deals with), but I love fantasy in general. I not only keep up with seasonal anime, but I also watch older shows regularly as my minor tastes constantly fluctuate. I enjoy stuff from the 1960's onward, with the early 80's having quite a few that I highly enjoy. It's also interesting to see how anime has evolved with animation as well as the cultural collective of Japan at any given time and how anime is influenced by that. I have a MAL (Treble_Bolt) but I only use that to keep track of the anime I see. I would much rather have a smaller community to converse with than get lost in a sea of forum posts. This forum seems very good as there is more than one thing we collectively talk about (anime and the podcast). So yeah, it's been a while since I've been on a forum but I hope I can add something to conversation and make some disembodied friends! :lol:

Dat deer, it calls to me....

In fire is iron born; by fire it is tamed.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: New here but longtime Otaku

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello!
My father is actually a welder and construction equipment mechanic, what are the odds, huh?
So a question:
So, You said that You watch 80s anime.Have You come across any Gundam or Macross shows, then?If yes, did You enjoyed them?

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm

I tried to get into Mecha via Gundam first, with the Origin, as it's the backdrop to Universal Century. However, I couldn't get into it. I tried this about 2014, and since I've watched more now (currently Darling in the FranXX, and also saw Gurren Lagann as well as Space Dandy) I think I'm more open now to Sci-Fi with political intrigue (no thanks to Log Horizon and Psycho Pass). Back then it just wasn't my thing. I have done model building before as stress relief, but mainly of construction equipment and I've always found Gunpla fascinating on that end, but never bought one of them as giant robots isn't my thing (I like pre modern vehicles more like steam engines), but the fact they differ in ability (easy to insane skill to assemble) is really neat. But I havent done models since about 2012 (the last one being fully functioning rc forklift I built that can lift about 2 lbs) as I've gotten more into stained glass.
With all that said, it's highly likely that down the road I will visit classic Mecha in a bingeing manner (as there's a lot to catch up on) but for now I'm doing a lot of early 2000's visiting as last year I finished up going through all the World Masterpiece Theatre shows I could get my hands on.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 am

Hey there Mrs. Lee,

A warm welcome to you. Our community is indeed nice and cozy :P. I always appreciate elaborate introduction posts to get an initial feel for the other person, so thanks for the treat!

Now, the "lee" part of your username probably relates to a certain Naruto character you mentioned (At least this doesn't seem too far-fetched a guess). Is there a specific source to the "Chihiro" part, as well? The most likely candidate would be the titular (at least in the Japanese and German titles) heroine of one of Ghibli's most famous works. It's also the name of a heroine in my favorite anime series of all time (ef - A Tale of Memories).

Speaking of anime teenagers, I just broke 31 years of age in December. However, I'm still going strong on high-school romances and dramas. I somehow don't feel too detached from the characters due to the age gap (talk about a child at heart), and their plights - which, to adults, might often seem like minor issues - are all the more moving to me precisely because they're still growing up. That's not to say I can't appreciate mature romance series, as well; love is wonderful in all (well, most) of its forms :).

I can also relate to not fitting into the preconceived mould of your peer group. I have little to no interest in soccer (which is something like the German equivalent to football or baseball in America), cars, politics or economics. This means the common ground for small talk with other men my age is rather slim. Luckily, I've still got a number of friends who enjoy board/card and video games the same way I do. As for anime... well, I'm mostly limited to this forum. And in my opinion, I could do far worse than that ;].

Lastly, I will bestow upon you a spontaneous and unique anime-related question:

Who are your 3 favorite husbandos (or, more generally, attractive/appealing male anime characters), and how do you imagine they would compete with each other to win your affection?

A bit of a plug to conclude my post: If you'd like, feel free to check out my forum game (link's in the signature) about finding similarities in anime (or manga, video game etc.) characters. Unfortunately it's been dead for a couple of weeks now due to low participation rates. But if the idea strikes your fancy, you can go right ahead and reply to the most recent suggestion :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 am

I think my maturity over romance stuff comes from my background, as my mentality in high school was knowing that high school romances hardly succeed long term. I moved from a tiny school system (graduation class of 27) to a huge school in my second year of high school (class of 388). I have always gone to small schools until then and I switched 7 school systems from age 10 to 16, so to me, even friendships were fleeting, and being in a large school was culture shock so I focused on studies, not socialization. I do watch romances that are not normal, like Masamune-kuns Revenge (the most recent one I remember). It's not that I avoid it, I just need more of a hook than a plain high school romance story. And Rom-coms seem less my thing as it's mostly based on misunderstandings and being married woman who values communication in my relationship often makes me frustrated watching those shows.

Husbando's? Well, Craft Lawrence is my number 1 as I love Spice and Wolf, and he is actually very much like my husband, but that's more coincidence. I guess he was really my type ;)

My other two would be Worrick from Gansta, and Roy Mustang from FMA.
As far as competition, well if they actually fought, Lawrence would die immediately. And I think Worrick would put up a good cat and mouse fight. Mustang would win with his flame alchemy. If it's based on words, I would actually think Worrick would win, being a male prostitute and all (I cannot deny that he would have all the right words to say). Poor Lawrence, it's a losing battle either way....
My favorite female character is Revy from Black Lagoon. Very much like me in perseverance. I'm not as brash or distant as she is but I can relate to her in many ways.

My name is from high school, being Chihiro from Sprited Away, but I learned it means 'God's Child' I believe. And the Lee is from Rock Lee, husbando of my youth. :P The numbers vary, as many forums and things I've used this name for needed numbers at times, so my username has varied in that regard, but the 3 is my most commonly used because it pretty much rhymes when you say the name. Rolls of the tongue nicely.
My other username is Treble Bolt which is an MLP OC I have made. This is an anime forum so I'd rather use Chihirolee3 than a pony based username.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:53 am

Chihirolee3 wrote:I tried to get into Mecha via Gundam first, with the Origin, as it's the backdrop to Universal Century.

Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin(I'm assuming You are referring to OVA and not the manga)is not the best place to start since it has quite a bit "I understood that reference" moments.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Hello,

I am one of the romance addicts in here. I'dd like to know if you ever saw house ikkoku? Your love of romance and 80's animes might have brought you there.

Also, if you had to give me a top 10 romance shows you liked, wich ones would you pick?

Good luck with your steam thing. Always do what you love best regardless of other people judgment. Life is too short to spend your time judging others instead of doing stuff.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Where do you suggest I start with Gundam? And which universe do you think is better, Gundam or Macross Kocurek1944?

As far romances, hmm...
I loved Fine Wa Amu, easily in my 3x3 (top 9).
The Wind Rises is heartbreaking but amazing.
Yona of the Dawn was great developing love 5 sided whatever you'd call that (although mainly 1, yet she wanted someone else).
HenSemi was ridiculously weird but I liked the romance plot of weird.
I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying is totally the opposite situation of my husband and I (although we are both hardworkers).
Insufficient Direction I love for similar reasons.
Princesa Tutu is beautiful.
Spice and Wolf is also in my 3x3. My husbando is Lawrence, who is so much like my husband, it's almost creepy.
Recovery of an MMO Junkie I want to see more of.
And recently, After the Rain has me squeeing at the clumsy cuteness after only 2 episode.

l know not all of these are romances, but I reconize the crushes/love in the series' and they made me more invested in the stories because of romance subplots.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Welcome chihiro.

I hope you find yourself lots of friends and a home here. Have fun.

;-)

For your random question. I will dump a heavy question on you. It looks like you like to put your thoughts into words.

Which do you prefer analysis or criticism? Why?

If you don’t like that question. Then have a fun easy one

Who is your favorite immouto?

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 am

Favorite immouto is Karen from the Monogatari series. We'd get a long so well being both tomboys. I wanted to answer anyways because that was an easy one I didn't have think about.
::happy::

For criticism vs analysis, that's a tricky one as they are very similar, at least in the literary sphere, with criticism having more opinion than analysis. Both ask the 'why' as well. For the most part, I'd say I enjoy both however there are alot of stipulations as to what I will read and watch at all in those spheres. I often find myself asking,

Is the analysis detailed, not just focusing on one thing without the context of the whole piece?

Is the opinion maturely explained? I don't want to see a one sentence 'make it or break it' plotpoint or character that may elevate or ruin the work for someone. If there is no detailed "why", I don't give it the time of day.
I also avoid people who say that you are stupid for liking a work. It's not right to shove your taste down others' throats. It's unacceptable and frowned upon in other aspects of life and often have similar negative results (look at any hot button issue and the extremes people take to force their viewpoints).

In analysis, I hope to find something in a work that I may have missed, or an explanation of something I may not have understood in the work. I also like to see questions others might have about a work that I may never have thought of otherwise.

In criticism, I hope to find a different perspective in someone's opinion of a work. Since the only way I see a work is through my own eyes, I want to have more rounded view upon a work. To see why people like or do not like a work. If I can see and understand both sides of an argument (in general) I am able to have stronger grounding of where I myself stand on a work.

With both analysis and criticism, I tend to watch ones with comedic elements. Serious ones I tend to use similar to a podcast, where I'd listen rather than watch.
Last edited by Chihirolee3 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.