New here but longtime Otaku

Let us get to know you!
fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Re: New here but longtime Otaku

Postby fragoff » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 am

Hen semi was indeed screwed and not for the faint of heart. Hope you saw the (two?) OVA. It was a very good and inovating story, great in its originality and weirdness. I wish we could get more shows like those that cross just over the limit of 'decent' for the sake of a good laugth.

-you didn't answer my 'house ikkoku' question.

I had trouble finding the animes you were talking about, lol, has i had to translate them to understand what you were talking about.
What are your thoughts about shows like golden time and ore monogatari?
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:17 pm

I was so focused on coming up with a list of 10, I forgot to respond to other questions. I have seen it, as well as the Final Chapter and OVA's. I watches it in early college (2009-10). All I remember is when the dog got pregnant and due to miscommunication, the main guy thought he got Asuna pregnant. That was weird and memorable.
I saw Golden Time when it aired (in 2013) and only remember amnesia was part of the plot....
I only saw Golden BOY once, and remember that whole show. I wouldn't count that as romance though -lol.
Ore Monogatari I did watch but other than brief comedy bits, I hardly remember it beside the fact it hit close to home for me (a big guy I had no interest in hit on me for 2 years).
It's not that I don't watch romance at all, it's just most of it isn't memorable; needs a hook. Speaking of hooks, I COMPLETELY forgot Nodame Cantabile!!! Loved that one too!
Dat deer, it calls to me....

In fire is iron born; by fire it is tamed.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Chihirolee3 wrote:It's not that I don't watch romance at all, it's just most of it isn't memorable; needs a hook.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku(The Princess and the Pilot)is a romance movie with interesting hook.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 am

Chihirolee3 wrote:Is the analysis detailed, not just focusing on one thing without the context of the whole piece?
I hear you. Like downplaying K-On! because they're not playing a lot of music in the show? I find that analysts/critics frequently take their own expectations as the golden standard for what a show should and shouldn't do, which can lead to a vast disconnect between reader and writer. I found K-On! to be a stellar slife-of-life anime, so why should I care if there's only a minor music element to the show?

Or putting a series on a pedestal simply because it's "unique"? Of course, I have my very distinct own opinion on the topic, which is that originality only plays a marginal role in my enjoyment of an anime. But that opinion is being completely discounted when I hear a critic/reviewer say that a series sticking to the tried-and-true formula is lazy and doesn't deserve to be watched.

Chihirolee3 wrote:It's not that I don't watch romance at all, it's just most of it isn't memorable; needs a hook.
So... Have you ever checked out Mysterious Girlfriend X ;)? That one's hook is pretty naughty at first glance, but in practice only serves to strengthen the - in my opinion - excellent depiction of teenage romance. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Also, Spice and Wolf is the bees knees (Thank you, Hikari Takanashi, for bringing this expression back into my active vocabulary 8-)). Can't wait for the final manga volume to release in March.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:44 am

Music is the catalyst that brings these girls together, helps them bond over the series and through music, they explore a whole new together in the movie. :) For people to say the there's not enough enough music focus in that show is like saying any high school anime, especially slice of life ones, do not focus enough on the school aspect. I think watching a show about school students learning in school during class time would be fairly boring....

It's not so much that tropes exist in a series, it's what you do with those tropes to make it stand out. Even the most unique series come from previous sources, which is not at all a bad thing. Our world of creativity, from art, to music, to TV, is a chain of causality of reinspiration, especially in our post modern world. Most people do not look at the creators' sources of their own lives that influence their works, especially with anime. Evangelion is the perfect example of this, and that is a groundbreaking series.

Mysterous Girlfriend X I ended up dropping. The premise was an interesting twist on tropes, but I could not get invested in them at all. It's hard for me to get invested in high school romances anymore, as I'm married, settled down, and more cognizant of real life (rarely anyone in high school romances IRL get married). Clannad is the only one I can put my finger on that does this, and even among romances, it's the only one I can think of. IRL meets anime in the regards of how many high school couples get married. Real life has really impacted what I watch and I struggled to think of 10 romances I truly enjoyed, and my list is mostly not high school romances., But college ones and adult ones in their respective context's. Or outside the norm ones like Princess Tutu and currently After the Rain, which has a high school girl, but it's setting is not high school and the romance is not with another high schooler. If it was before 2011-2, I would likely have more high school romances in my list.

I have the final volume of Spice and Wolf already (18), and the first one of a continuation story is already on shelves, which is pretty much a second series. Haven't gotten it yet as I am not finished with main series.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am

Chihirolee3 wrote:I have the final volume of Spice and Wolf already (18), and the first one of a continuation story is already on shelves, which is pretty much a second series. Haven't gotten it yet as I am not finished with main series.
So you're reading the source material, eh? Andrew would probably be thrilled to talk with you about that, he's been looking for someone to discuss the light novels with. Me, I'm a filthy manga reader - well, only in this case, since Spice and Wolf is the only manga series I own. The anime simply did that great a job at making me yearn for more.

Also, my enthusiasm just took a hit as I uncovered we're only getting the second to last volume (15) in March; so while the manga series (from my understanding) just concluded in Japan, it'll probably be a while still until I get to read the finale.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 am

You're not a filthy manga reader. If I had to pick, I'd take a manga over a light novel as I cannot stand rereading fiction. I have massive library (with a small fraction of that being manga. I only have Spice and Wolf and Welcome to the NHK as light novels). I got Spice and Wolf in light novel format because that was the first thing released in the USA. Manga is easier and more inviting to reread as it's much faster than a book and I often find something in the pictures I may have missed.

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am

BlueSpark wrote:Also, my enthusiasm just took a hit as I uncovered we're only getting the second to last volume (15) in March; so while the manga series (from my understanding) just concluded in Japan, it'll probably be a while still until I get to read the finale.

Volume 16 is the last volume of the manga ::peace::
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection

Chihirolee3
I Like Anime

Postby Chihirolee3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Either way, I am glad Spice and Wolf has concluded.....I wish Log Horizon could continue and finish now...
::dread::

I just tried to watch Gamers, as I've heard a lot of good about it, but it's turned out to be the perfect example of my issues with rom-coms. So much misunderstandings that could be easily solved through communication.
::sigh::