Hello!

Let us get to know you!
Briskall
I Like Anime

Hello!

Postby Briskall » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello all,

I recently started listening to the podcast as a way to kill time at work, and have enjoyed myself since I started. I love hearing peoples perspectives on anime and culture and have found a lot of anime to watch because of the podcast.

A little about myself:

I have watched anime since I was a little kid watching Cowboy Bebop with my dad on Cartoon Network at night. I only really started getting into anime, manga, and Japanese culture once I started college though. My favorite genres are Drama, Romance, Physicological, and anything to do with food. I binge whatever show/manga I am interested in at the time, and have a very bad habit of dropping shows if they are episodic or have a very slow start.

I recently lost the small community I had to talk about anime, so I hope to make a good impression and enjoy my time in this community.

Thank you for having me!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Re: Hello!

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Welcome

I hope you find yourself a home here.

And for your random question.

(Optional Difficult question) what is the difference between anime as an art form and anime as an entertainment medium to you?

(Mandatory if above question is passed question) who is best magical girl?

Have fun and make lots of friends.

Welcome again

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 am

A hearty welcome to you.

Briskall wrote:My favorite genres are Drama, Romance, [...]
Looks like you're my kind of man, Briskall 8-). I live for the feels that anime can so expertly provide. I'm also not fond of episodic shows, although I usually pull through; I drop series very rarely. Which is good, because I get to finish shows like the recent Violet Evergarden, which really cranked up the emotional content in the back half.

I don't know the extent of your anime resume, but if you're ever craving some drama or romance goodness, I'll be happy to provide suggestions - maybe you haven't seen some of them yet. For starters, I can't go without mentioning ef - A Tale of Memories, which is my personal number 1. And for romance, as long as you can stand moe character designs and antics, I think Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! is simply splendid.

Now, following Chris's example, I will confront you with a unique anime-related question: Are there specific personality qualities in female characters which usually win you over? Maybe certain patterns of behavior in certain situations?

Also as usual, a bit of self-promotion: My forum game could still use some more players. It's about finding similarities in anime characters. If you feel so inclined, you can follow the link in my description to check it out and maybe jump in, yourself :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Briskall
I Like Anime

Postby Briskall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Chris:

Difficult question - I consider all anime to be entertainment media and art form. I really differentiate the two when something stikes me as out of the box. Anime like Pop Team Epic and Naruto as stictly entertainment to me. Not that this is bad by any means, but its just something I watch to wind down and relax without looking for to much meaning in it. Shows with fantastic writing or premise (Clannad: After Story, Overlord, Steins;Gate, and 91 Days) or shows with unique and beautiful art (Flip Flappers, Kill La Kill, FLCL, Samurai Champloo) are always the first things I’ll turn to when i talk about anime as an art form. I’m also a sucker for a great sountrack, which is why Cowboy Bebop has always been one of my favorites since I was a kid.

Easy question - I have not really watched any magical girl shows, but im really enjoying Magical Girl Ore right now, so I guess I’d go with Saki Uno.

Blue:

Question first - Im always drawn to smart and crazy girls. My favorite anime girl is Mikisa Kurisu because she smart and red headed. I am also a big fan of Yuno Gasai, Kayo Hinazuki, Lucy/Nyu, Hana Midorikawa, and Zero Two.

Here is my anime list if you wana check out my resume - https://myanimelist.net/profile/briskall

Id be happy to join your forum game! Ill be heading to Balitmore this weekend, so I will check it out when I get back Sunday.

Cheers!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am

Thanks for answering my question. I think citing Lucy/Nyu as a "smart" character might be a bit of a stretch (because of the Nyu part, no surprise :D), but otherwise, it makes a lot of sense. Makise is definitely an attractive woman, both intellectually and appearance-wise - I'm oddly fond of the way her coat hangs below her shoulders :>.

And Yuno is certainly a girl to die for - not just literally :P. I've found that I'm more of a fan of characters who wear their affections on their sleeve and come on more strongly romance-wise. Needless to say Yuno more than qualifies in this regard.

I went over your MAL list. Looks like you've already seen a decent number of my favorite shows. One more I can wholeheartedly recommend - as long as you enjoy young teen romance - is Tsukigakirei. Andrew and Chris also praised it to death ;). And If you liked Clannad, Kanon is another excellent adaptation of a beautiful studio Key tearjerker.

Out of curiosity: Your MAL profile tells me that you also read manga. Have you dabbled in the visual novel medium, too? I'm mostly an anime watcher, but I've read a couple of VNs, and some of them make for quite marvelous experiences.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!