Hi!

Let us get to know you!
User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 am

MojaveRena wrote:The humour is quite fast when you think about it, they tell one joke and then move on to the next one. I think that takes a lot of talent to not make the viewers too confused about the speed of the jokes.
I'm pretty sure I only caught about half the references in the series. But that's on me because I haven't seen a lot of the shows they're referencing (Initial D, for one).

MojaveRena wrote:They say the moment you start to yawn is the moment you are losing interest in the anime.. But if it's something I'm interested in then I find I can sit and watch more.
I don't know, I think yawning often just means you're tired, which doesn't have to be the anime's fault. I find myself yawning regularly while watching. That's probably because I mostly do it right before bedtime :P.

MojaveRena wrote:I still think I'm Joybo is getting an English dub some time soon, but I can't trust Youtube on dub announcements unless there is a trailer or something. That show was quite touching if you like sad romance stories.
If there's a chance to watch it in English, I'm still very much open :). I enjoy sad, upbeat, twisted and star-crossed romance stories all the same.

MojaveRena wrote:One voice actress who got a good start was Sarah Wiedenheft, I don't know if you know her but some people were skeptical about her voice range as she is often only voices loli characters. But the thing is, she is really good with voicing those characters so her fans (and me) want her to continue what she does best. For me, she will always be Takagi from Skilled Master Takagi-san, it's quite a recent anime so no worries if you haven't watched it. :)
I remember the name - definitely heard her in at least 2 roles. I believe she has blue hair in her BtVA picture, doesn't she? Let me check...
...
Oh, it was silver hair, but a blue dress ;).
...
Ooohhh, she was Yuki in Interviews with Monster Girls! Also Tohru in Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, plus she had roles in Love Live! Sunshine and Konohana Kitan. As much as I loved Interviews (watched it twice), I still haven't memorized her voice yet. Maybe Takagai-san will change that. The show is very much on my "plan to watch soon" list.

So, I'm curious: In general, would you say that you prefer animes with a realistic setting or shows with a different premise (fantasy, supernatural, science-fiction etc.)?
Last edited by BlueSpark on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
MojaveRena
I Love Anime
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure I only caught about half the references in the series. But that's on me because I haven't seen a lot of the shows they're referencing (Initial D, for one).
I always thought they are referencing the film "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" in that scene but I guess not. :D Some of the references flew right over my head but it was all good fun.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know, I think yawning often just means you're tired, which doesn't have to be the anime's fault. I find myself yawning regularly while watching. That's probably because I mostly do it right before bedtime :P.
So do I, maybe that's why I have a yawning problem while watching anime since I only watch at nighttime. I do try to sit comfortably and eat some food while watching anime, I find that helps a lot.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
If there's a chance to watch it in English, I'm still very much open :). I enjoy sad, upbeat, twisted and star-crossed romance stories all the same.
It's definitely a tragic romance story, that's all I will say. And the music is enough to make me cry, at first you think it's just Chinese songs but the songs are well-timed.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I remember the name - definitely heard her in at least 2 roles. I believe she has blue hair in her BtVA picture, doesn't she? Let me check...
...
Oh, it was silver hair, but a blue dress ;).
...
Ooohhh, she was Yuki in Interviews with Monster Girls! Also Tohru in Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, plus she had roles in Love Live! Sunshine and Konohana Kitan. As much as I loved Interviews (watched it twice), I still haven't memorized her voice yet. Maybe Takagai-san will change that. The show is very much on my "plan to watch soon" list.

So, I'm curious: In general, would you say that you prefer animes with a realistic setting or shows with a different premise (fantasy, supernatural, science-fiction etc.)?

That's right, I think she likes to cosplay in her spare time.

Oh yeah! She did Tohru, didn't she? How could I forget that.. She was also in Tsugumomo, the anime was alright but her role as the main character really suited her voice (and she has a excellent singing voice too). I like Sarah Wiedenheft in the same way as you like Sarah Williams, there is something about her voice that I really love.

I like both but I am a huge fan of alternative worlds (or "Isekai" anime/manga) so I'll have to pick the second type of shows. That said, realistic shows interest me too, what about you?


Allow me to ask a similar question to you: do you prefer anime set in the city, or in the countryside?
I'm more of a countryside guy, they are perfect for relaxing after work. But city anime do usually have good action in them.

User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:35 am

MojaveRena wrote:I do try to sit comfortably and eat some food while watching anime, I find that helps a lot.
I guess it's a bit harder on me since I usually lie in bed while watching (which makes sleep more tempting), but I usually have some kind of food while I'm at it, too. Movies are a different story, though - that's what my TV is there for (I don't use it for anything else unless I want to replay one of my Tales games on the PS3/XBox360).

MojaveRena wrote:I like Sarah Wiedenheft in the same way as you like Sarah Williams, there is something about her voice that I really love.
That's nice. Everybody should have a VA like that to blissfully chill out to :P. There's another highly unique voice that amazed me when I first watched Lucky Star: Lara Jill Miller as Misao. The 3-second-rule clip is just divine ::onsen::. I think she might be the closest thing to true moe we have in the English dubbing industry. She mainly does cartoons, though; she's only been in a handful of anime (of which I've seen Mahoromatic, Please Twins and Planetes).

MojaveRena wrote:That said, realistic shows interest me too, what about you?
I'm on team realistic any day of the week, no questions asked. For some reason, the most grounded shows manage to keep my interest throughout, while magical battle sequences almost cause me to doze off. I tend to be much more engaged in realistic stories, so despite exceptions such as Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass or From the New World, my preference lies squarely with realism. However, studio Key's stories do a magnificent job of weaving in minor supernatural elements to spice things up - I'm almost inclined to say that's the gold standard for me.

MojaveRena wrote:Allow me to ask a similar question to you: do you prefer anime set in the city, or in the countryside?
If you'll allow me a slight tangent: In real-life terms, I actually gravitate towards the countryside. I've grown up in a medium-sized city, but due to my first job, I had to move and live in a rather (but not quite) rural area for almost 4 years. I enjoyed the area as a living space quite a lot.

In anime, it's a different story, however. I can certainly appreciate both: After all, my favorite anime movie - Your Name - explicitly blends them together and plays with the contrast. And some stories such as Sakura Quest, When They Cry or Shiki only work in a sparsely populated environment. But overall, I prefer watching animes which play in cities. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I suppose what you said plays a part in it: There's simply more to be done in a city. And I don't even mean action-related, just in terms of places to visit and stuff.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
MojaveRena
I Love Anime
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:48 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I guess it's a bit harder on me since I usually lie in bed while watching (which makes sleep more tempting), but I usually have some kind of food while I'm at it, too. Movies are a different story, though - that's what my TV is there for (I don't use it for anything else unless I want to replay one of my Tales games on the PS3/XBox360).
It's easy to start eating or drinking while watching anime, it's a habit I'm trying to cut down on. :oops:
I think this has been touched on in Himouto Umaru-chan, apparently salty foods and fizzy drinks go best when watching anime.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
That's nice. Everybody should have a VA like that to blissfully chill out to :P. There's another highly unique voice that amazed me when I first watched Lucky Star: Lara Jill Miller as Misao. The 3-second-rule clip is just divine ::onsen::. I think she might be the closest thing to true moe we have in the English dubbing industry. She mainly does cartoons, though; she's only been in a handful of anime (of which I've seen Mahoromatic, Please Twins and Planetes).
Give me her voice or Brittney Karbowski's voice and I can just listen to their voices all day. :D
You're right, now that I think of it most of the recent anime I have watched had some legit good moe voices in English, it's nice to hear voice actors doing this type of range.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm on team realistic any day of the week, no questions asked. For some reason, the most grounded shows manage to keep my interest throughout, while magical battle sequences almost cause me to doze off. I tend to be much more engaged in realistic stories, so despite exceptions such as Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass or From the New World, my preference lies squarely with realism. However, studio Key's stories do a magnificent job of weaving in minor supernatural elements to spice things up - I'm almost inclined to say that's the gold standard for me.
I'm on the fence, maybe with the magical series, it's too much fantasy elements that we are obviously not familiar with in real-life. When the anime is more grounded in reality then you can understand all the points. But on the other hand, having that fantasy element might make you think everything is possible?

I love it when a fantasy anime makes your imagination come real though, maybe I'm the one who is fantasizing too much but seeing these idyllic villages in Isekai anime/manga makes me feel so peaceful. But as you said, a realistic anime can do the same thing like in Non Non Biyori, it makes me want to live in a place like that since it's so carefree. :)

Oh, I'm fine with supernatural elements in realistic anime, as long as nothing too far-fetched happens like people flying, which would take away my belief in the anime. I won't say what Key anime has supernatural elements but those I have seen handled them pretty well and makes you think it could happen to someone, maybe.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
If you'll allow me a slight tangent: In real-life terms, I actually gravitate towards the countryside. I've grown up in a medium-sized city, but due to my first job, I had to move and live in a rather (but not quite) rural area for almost 4 years. I enjoyed the area as a living space quite a lot.

In anime, it's a different story, however. I can certainly appreciate both: After all, my favorite anime movie - Your Name - explicitly blends them together and plays with the contrast. And some stories such as Sakura Quest, When They Cry or Shiki only work in a sparsely populated environment. But overall, I prefer watching animes which play in cities. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I suppose what you said plays a part in it: There's simply more to be done in a city. And I don't even mean action-related, just in terms of places to visit and stuff.
In real-life, I love the countryside since I grew up in the middle of nowhere - more privacy and more space, as you said.
But the city is better for jobs, internet and everything else.

In anime, it's odd but as much as I love seeing fields or rural villages, anime set in urban environments do have more stuff going on in them. There's not much anime set in rural locations however.. but those you do find often only work in that setting. If you place Higurashi in the city, I don't think it will work.


Here's a good question: Has anime ever inspired you to change something about yourself? I have become a lot more open-minded since watching anime. I also think more positively about things in my life since watching other people in anime makes me think about myself and other people around me.

User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 am

MojaveRena wrote:I think this has been touched on in Himouto Umaru-chan, apparently salty foods and fizzy drinks go best when watching anime.
I haven't seen it, but heard the ladies on the IGNime cast rave about Umaru-chan. The temptation is strong, certainly, but I actually have pretty good self-restraint, so if I take a bag of potato chips, I'll only eat a handful or two before I put them away again. I try to get some vitamin intake by eating some fruit as often as possible, too (Pears are great).

MojaveRena wrote:You're right, now that I think of it most of the recent anime I have watched had some legit good moe voices in English, it's nice to hear voice actors doing this type of range.
Since I just watched Girls & Panzer, which has Margaret McDonald in the lead role, I was thinking again: I just love the little noises she makes (for example, when her character is surprised). She makes them sound so cute, with a certain melodic quality - Rikka in Chunibyo just being one excellent example ^_^.

MojaveRena wrote:Here's a good question: Has anime ever inspired you to change something about yourself? I have become a lot more open-minded since watching anime.
Well, not in the way that Clannad has purportedly led people to care more about their family or that Emi's route in Katawa Shoujo (the VN I recommended) has encouraged folks to pick up running in their free time. I suppose I'm simply too phlegmatic to change that easily.

However, the point of open-mindedness is definitely one that resonates with me. Not that I ever said it out loud, but on the inside, I used to be rather judgemental about people watching certain programs (like soap operas) on TV, shaking my head at how they could find stuff like that entertaining. Nowadays I like to watch dramatic 'cartoons' and spill tears doing it. That's actually helped me be a lot less presumptuous and realize that as long as somebody spends their time on something they find fun, who am I to judge?
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
MojaveRena
I Love Anime
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I haven't seen it, but heard the ladies on the IGNime cast rave about Umaru-chan. The temptation is strong, certainly, but I actually have pretty good self-restraint, so if I take a bag of potato chips, I'll only eat a handful or two before I put them away again. I try to get some vitamin intake by eating some fruit as often as possible, too (Pears are great).
It's quite a good show, lots of anime references if you like that too. It's really hard for me not to stop eating or drinking while watching anime, I give into temptation way too much with chocolate too.
Oh, pears eh? I should try some then, thanks! ^^

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Since I just watched Girls & Panzer, which has Margaret McDonald in the lead role, I was thinking again: I just love the little noises she makes (for example, when her character is surprised). She makes them sound so cute, with a certain melodic quality - Rikka in Chunibyo just being one excellent example ^_^.
That's a show I have changed my mind with regarding the dub and I rewatched it recently, I have to give Girls Und Panzer's dub respect as it's an incredibly large cast, and Miho sounds more mature in the dub having also watched the subbed version. Also the Katyusha song in episode 8 sounds more like the dub actors singing if you listen closely to Katyusha herself singing, I could have sworn it was Hilary Haag singing that song. :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, not in the way that Clannad has purportedly led people to care more about their family or that Emi's route in Katawa Shoujo (the VN I recommended) has encouraged folks to pick up running in their free time. I suppose I'm simply too phlegmatic to change that easily.

However, the point of open-mindedness is definitely one that resonates with me. Not that I ever said it out loud, but on the inside, I used to be rather judgemental about people watching certain programs (like soap operas) on TV, shaking my head at how they could find stuff like that entertaining. Nowadays I like to watch dramatic 'cartoons' and spill tears doing it. That's actually helped me be a lot less presumptuous and realize that as long as somebody spends their time on something they find fun, who am I to judge?

You know, I did the exact same thing with people playing golf, I always thought it was an elitist sport for rich people. Ironically, when I actually played golf I highly enjoyed it. It's almost therapeutic to play that sport. :P

It's odd how we change over time, I never would have tried anime if I didn't just watch it one day, and I really liked it. I bet the creators of anime have put a lot of time and effort into these scenes we cry about (like me with the opening of Bunny Drop) and they want that reaction when we watch their anime they have made for us. If someone can watch soap operas and cry about a scene, it's no different that us crying with anime, it's all relative.

User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 am

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, pears eh? I should try some then, thanks! ^^
I like them a lot because I'm lazy and they're easy to eat. Just rinse them and have at it - no need to slice them, really. Bananas are great for the same reason, but I'm not the biggest fan of the taste. Apples should be a natural choice, but I developed a stone fruit allergy in my teenage years, and while it has declined over the years, some types of apple still give me trouble. Pears seem to be A-OK for some reason :).

MojaveRena wrote:I have to give Girls Und Panzer's dub respect as it's an incredibly large cast
Yeah, the character cast is humongous. Which is both a blessing and a curse because they're a very colorful bunch, but virtually none of them are characterized to any notable extent. But yeah, being as crazy about dub actresses as I am, I had a field day with the show 8-).

MojaveRena wrote:Also the Katyusha song in episode 8 sounds more like the dub actors singing if you listen closely to Katyusha herself singing, I could have sworn it was Hilary Haag singing that song. :)
Huh... I don't remember it quite that clearly. Will have to re-listen to that portion. I do remember the scout duo's song while marching through the snow (by Luci Christian and the VA of Yukari) - that seemed completely random and silly, but I had fun listening to it.

Edit: I listened to the Katyusha song again, and I don't think it's the dub actors. Her voice is somewhat similar to Hilary Haags, but I'd wager it's the original Japanese recording.

Speaking of songs in this series, I was a bit astonished that the Anko dance really did look every bit as embarassing as the characters made it out to be :D.

MojaveRena wrote:You know, I did the exact same thing with people playing golf, I always thought it was an elitist sport for rich people. Ironically, when I actually played golf I highly enjoyed it. It's almost therapeutic to play that sport. :P
I've got to say I prefer sports with more emphasis on active movement, but I don't doubt you. There's something to be said for more relaxed activities. And of course, golf is just as skillful as any other big sport out there.

Have you given Katawa Shoujo a go yet? No pressure, I'm just curious :).
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
MojaveRena
I Love Anime
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:40 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I like them a lot because I'm lazy and they're easy to eat. Just rinse them and have at it - no need to slice them, really. Bananas are great for the same reason, but I'm not the biggest fan of the taste. Apples should be a natural choice, but I developed a stone fruit allergy in my teenage years, and while it has declined over the years, some types of apple still give me trouble. Pears seem to be A-OK for some reason :).
I was going to say Apples are good but a fruit allergy sounds awful to have... do you get stomach aches if you eat them now? Bananas are great for energy too, and I think citrus fruits are good for memory? I have problems remembering stuff, like anime I just watched.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, the character cast is humongous. Which is both a blessing and a curse because they're a very colorful bunch, but virtually none of them are characterized to any notable extent. But yeah, being as crazy about dub actresses as I am, I had a field day with the show 8-).
I bet you loved it! That's what got me to change my mind about the dub, after rewatching it the dub I can honestly say they did a good job. Also, have you watched the new "Girls Und Panzer das Finale" or are you waiting for the dub to come out? I think it's a series of 6 films. ^^


BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Huh... I don't remember it quite that clearly. Will have to re-listen to that portion. I do remember the scout duo's song while marching through the snow (by Luci Christian and the VA of Yukari) - that seemed completely random and silly, but I had fun listening to it.

Speaking of songs in this series, I was a bit astonished that the Anko dance really did look every bit as embarassing as the characters made it out to be :D.
I believe it was episode 8 with the Katyusha song, or it might be episode 9, I'm not sure...
Oh, that was such a cute little dance they did! The anglerfish dance was a punishment for losing if I remember correctly, and yet it was quite funny to watch.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I've got to say I prefer sports with more emphasis on active movement, but I don't doubt you. There's something to be said for more relaxed activities. And of course, golf is just as skillful as any other big sport out there.
Yeah, I'm generally more into football regarding sports but I'm much better at watching it than I am at playing it. ;)
I think there is a hidden meaning to playing golf once you start to hit the ball properly, it's like you can vision the ball as your problems and it flying away leaving you of the burden. Things got deep for a second there, but I think you know what I mean.


BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Have you given Katawa Shoujo a go yet? No pressure, I'm just curious :).
Yes, I've just started playing it today! I'm only at the first part of the game when you meet some of the students in the classroom. So far, it looks great. It's like the art is real, like they took a photograph of a real school or something. The Higurashi VN has a similar art style. And the music reminds me of a game on the PS2 called Dark Cloud, if you have played that - the music can be sad and happy at the same time.

User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:05 am

MojaveRena wrote:a fruit allergy sounds awful to have... do you get stomach aches if you eat them now?
Luckily no, nothing that serious. I just get a nasty scratching in my throat for about half an hour.

MojaveRena wrote:Also, have you watched the new "Girls Und Panzer das Finale" or are you waiting for the dub to come out? I think it's a series of 6 films. ^^
Yeah, I've read about it. This is the type of release model where I'll wait until all of the films are out (and dubbed in English). Same reason I haven't touched any of the Evangelion rebuild movies - I'm waiting for 4.4 so I can watch them in one go. I'm still debating on whether to watch the first 2 seasons of Chihayafuru or wait until season 3 releases next year (and then have to wait for the dub, of course) :P.

MojaveRena wrote:I think there is a hidden meaning to playing golf once you start to hit the ball properly, it's like you can vision the ball as your problems and it flying away leaving you of the burden. Things got deep for a second there, but I think you know what I mean.
To an extent, I believe that's a quality that all sports share - they completely absorb your focus, which includes casting off your worries for the time being. Golf being a relatively calm sport is obviously a better fit for this than more hectic activities. When I play volleyball, I rarely have the time to enjoy how good it feels because I have to get ready for the next ball coming my way ;).

MojaveRena wrote:Yes, I've just started playing it today! I'm only at the first part of the game when you meet some of the students in the classroom. So far, it looks great. It's like the art is real, like they took a photograph of a real school or something.
[...]
And the music reminds me of a game on the PS2 called Dark Cloud, if you have played that - the music can be sad and happy at the same time.
You hit the nail on the head - they took photos from real-world locations and sent them through a filter. In my opinion, it doesn't quite compare to the visual pleasure of a commercial VN with hand-drawn backgrounds, but if you take into account that the team behind Katawa Shoujo had literally zero budget to work with, I find what they achieved is quite impressive.

I haven't played Dark Cloud (never owned a PS2, either), so I can't make a comparison. What I can say is that KS's soundtrack is quite broad in its emotional spectrum. Again, considering the development team members did all of this in their free time, it's quite praiseworthy.

If you like, keep me up to date on your progress through the VN. Just a small note: I consider Shizune's route the weakest. So if you end up dating her first and you feel a bit disappointed, I urge you to try one of the other routes.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
MojaveRena
I Love Anime
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Luckily no, nothing that serious. I just get a nasty scratching in my throat for about half an hour.
That still sounds bad, I get hayfever around this time of year, so I'm always sneezing..

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I've read about it. This is the type of release model where I'll wait until all of the films are out (and dubbed in English). Same reason I haven't touched any of the Evangelion rebuild movies - I'm waiting for 4.4 so I can watch them in one go. I'm still debating on whether to watch the first 2 seasons of Chihayafuru or wait until season 3 releases next year (and then have to wait for the dub, of course) :P.
Ah OK, I'll try to find some news when the dub is coming out, I'm interested in seeing more anime getting a dub.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
To an extent, I believe that's a quality that all sports share - they completely absorb your focus, which includes casting off your worries for the time being. Golf being a relatively calm sport is obviously a better fit for this than more hectic activities. When I play volleyball, I rarely have the time to enjoy how good it feels because I have to get ready for the next ball coming my way ;).
I think you are right, sports are also are meant for your metabolism especially when you're young.

That's what I am like playing football, most of the time I'm just running about aimlessly but when I do get the ball, I often let everyone down. XD

That reminds me, the World Cup is starting soon, are you going to watch that or do you prefer to watch something else? I do admit there are comedic moments in watching football on TV...

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
You hit the nail on the head - they took photos from real-world locations and sent them through a filter. In my opinion, it doesn't quite compare to the visual pleasure of a commercial VN with hand-drawn backgrounds, but if you take into account that the team behind Katawa Shoujo had literally zero budget to work with, I find what they achieved is quite impressive.

I haven't played Dark Cloud (never owned a PS2, either), so I can't make a comparison. What I can say is that KS's soundtrack is quite broad in its emotional spectrum. Again, considering the development team members did all of this in their free time, it's quite praiseworthy.

If you like, keep me up to date on your progress through the VN. Just a small note: I consider Shizune's route the weakest. So if you end up dating her first and you feel a bit disappointed, I urge you to try one of the other routes.

o_o Wow.. They had no budget to make this game? My respect for this game has gone through the roof, how did they manage to create this game for free? Maybe the creators just want to tell people how life is like for disabled people.

It was quite a good game back in the day, not sure if they ever made a port for the PS3 or the PC. Maybe there is a version that works with an emulator for the PC. ;)

Sure thing! I'm doing Lilly's route (I think it's because of the choices I made?) but I haven't gotten to her backstory yet. I wanted either Emi or Rin's story, I heard Emi's backstory is quite upsetting... Rin seems like an interesting character too.
Who did you get when you first played the game?