Hi!

Let us get to know you!
MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Yeah, it's amazing how many people put their lifeblood into creating mods and sharing them with the community. Some are pretty small and innocuous, while others - at least for the PC version - are fully staffed projects and completely turn the base game on its head. I would've never been able to truly enjoy Fallout 3 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl if not for some incredible overhaul mods. That's why I'm hoping more game developers/publishers will start supporting modders the way Bethesda has.

You're right about that because I know of mods for Skyrim that completely transform the game, even the smaller mods can make a big difference to someone's gameplay.

If developers support modders, that would make a huge difference.

There is also porting games over from console to PC, some work lovely, other don't work so well like "Batman Arkham Knight" or "Assassin's Creed Unity" . But it must be hard to port something over to PC with all the coding..

BlueSpark wrote:That's right - in fact, the Tales of titles are the only console games I possess (excluding handhelds). Although I did actually play through Valkyria Chronicles with my brother a while back. I know this one has a huge fanbase (including Andrew and Chris), so I'm a little sad to say it was only an 'OK' experience for me. Neither the gameplay nor the story truly grabbed me.

I've only played "Tales of Xillia" on PS3, really good game though. :D

Ah, that's a shame.. Yeah, I do like Valkyria Chronicles so you could say I'm in the same boat as Chris and Andrew here with the fanbase. I also like the "Atelier" series as you may know already, I'm not sure you can get those games for PC, I'll have a look for you. ;)

Back to the "Tales of" series, I didn't know there was an anime of "Tales of Symphonia", it's sadly not dubbed but the first episode I have watched was good.

BlueSpark wrote:Now that's a tough question (the 2nd part, I mean). I'd say that the genre I've played the most of are shooters, mainly of the single-player variety. I adore the first 2 F.E.A.R. games, Max Payne is an oldie with an incredible atmosphere, and of course, there's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as a franchise of really cool survival shooters (with the right mods, that is). I can also recommend BioShock 1 and 2 as well as the Borderlands games. Far Cry 1 was nice. However, if you're not a PC gamer, I imagine getting used to playing a FPS with keyboard and mouse would be an arduous process.

I've also sunk my fair share of playtime into Diablo 2 and 3 over the years. You can play 3 on consoles these days, too. I think StarCraft 1 and 2 as well as WarCraft 3 are great for their campaign modes alone (Can you tell Blizzard Entertainment has shaped my gaming history quite a bit ;)?). I think those should the most influential titles I could recommend. Of course, it all comes down to what kinds of games you're looking for.

I remember you saying about the F.E.A.R. series before, you said the third game didn't work well on PC?
OH! I know S.T.A.L.K.E.R from some Youtube videos I watch, it's set in Chernobyl if I remember correctly. I always wanted to play that game, I could download it when my internet eventually speeds up.
Do you remember a game on PC called "Doom"? I used to like that game too, I like my retro games. =3

I'm alright with keyboard and mouse, thanks for asking. ^^ It's not that hard for me to transition to using a controller for driving and keyboard+mouse for walking/menus etc.. I do it with "My Summer Car" and "Euro Truck Simulator 2". I would assume FPS games would be infinitely better with a mouse since it's faster and more accurate. Sure, controllers have sensitivity settings in console games than can be turned up so you're spinning around out of control (seriously, CoD MW1 taught me this...), there is also a matter of dexterity and reflexes in using a mouse.

Oh, I play any game genre. I often just play what I can find but I do have a fondness for indie horror games...

BlueSpark wrote:Certainly makes me a happy panda. And you know what else? I started browsing the Animedubs Reddit yesterday and found out that Funimation has announced the ReLIFE OVAs for November! ReLIFE was such an amazing series, and I'm dying to find out how it concludes.

I see we share the same news site for dubs. I was thinking of signing up for a Reddit account a few weeks ago but never got around to it, one day I will.
*Goes to check /r/AnimeDubs* Yes! I can take a sigh of relief now, I was gonna give in and watch the sub but now I know there is going to be a dub for it. THANK YOU! :D

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:51 am

MojaveRena wrote:There is also porting games over from console to PC, some work lovely, other don't work so well like "Batman Arkham Knight" or "Assassin's Creed Unity" . But it must be hard to port something over to PC with all the coding..
Tell me about it... I'm relatively familiar with the controversy this topic has sparked time and again. The worst offender that I've played so far has to be Dead Space 1 and 2. The games have a great atmosphere, decently cool weapons and enemies, but my god, the controls are atrocious. In the 1st game, I could not use hotkeys to switch to my 3rd and 4th weapon (only slots 1 and 2 worked), so I had to open my inventory to equip them every single time. Add to that a certain plot-relevant cutscene literally not triggering if your game runs on 60 FPS, and you've got a recipe for a very untasty dish of a PC game.

As I've alluded to before, I also wasn't fond at all of F.E.A.R. 3. The first game in the franchise, along with its two expansions, was clearly designed for PC only. F.E.A.R. 2 already showed signs of being optimized for consoles, but outside of some menus, it still felt mostly like a PC game. By the 3rd game, however, it was crystal-clear that the PC version was no more than an afterthought to the developers.

One very common ailment of console-to-PC ports is forced mouse acceleration. Every halfway serious PC gamer will tell you that this is simply an awful feature that, at least in a shooter, no one should ever use. So we (the PC gaming crowd) frequently have to search online for tweaks to certain config files just to disable the stupid mouse acceleration.

MojaveRena wrote:Back to the "Tales of" series, I didn't know there was an anime of "Tales of Symphonia", it's sadly not dubbed but the first episode I have watched was good.
To be entirely honest, even if there was an English localization, I wouldn't have any desire to watch it. Somehow, the thought of conveying the story of a Tales game in anime form doesn't really click with me. I think they're great games and should be experienced as such.

However, for people who don't want to spend the money or the 60-80 hours it takes to complete a single playthrough, I guess it's cool that the animes are still an option :).

MojaveRena wrote:Do you remember a game on PC called "Doom"? I used to like that game too, I like my retro games. =3
While I've never played Doom myself, I of course know about its reputation as a classic among FPSs. Allow me to take a detour in this paragraph: I finally finished my Fallout 4 playthrough yesterday (yay me!). After that, I decided that I'd go retro myself and install the good old Max Payne again. It's a welcome change of pace, I'll tell you that. Both Max Payne and Doom are considered abandonware by now, so there are websites offering them to download for free. Even though it's not technically legal, many development studios actually support this practice because it keeps old games 'alive' in a sense. So perhaps I'll actually give Doom a shot at some point (although the pixelated graphics really aren't pretty to look at from today's perspective :P).

MojaveRena wrote:I was thinking of signing up for a Reddit account a few weeks ago but never got around to it, one day I will.
I created a Reddit account several years back - I don't even remember for what reason, initially. But every couple of months or so, I find a subreddit that I'm interested in and drop some posts here and there. I've seen some serious toxicity, but as far as I can tell at this point, the Animedubs community seems like a nice bunch of people overall.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Tell me about it... I'm relatively familiar with the controversy this topic has sparked time and again. The worst offender that I've played so far has to be Dead Space 1 and 2. The games have a great atmosphere, decently cool weapons and enemies, but my god, the controls are atrocious. In the 1st game, I could not use hotkeys to switch to my 3rd and 4th weapon (only slots 1 and 2 worked), so I had to open my inventory to equip them every single time. Add to that a certain plot-relevant cutscene literally not triggering if your game runs on 60 FPS, and you've got a recipe for a very untasty dish of a PC game.

As I've alluded to before, I also wasn't fond at all of F.E.A.R. 3. The first game in the franchise, along with its two expansions, was clearly designed for PC only. F.E.A.R. 2 already showed signs of being optimized for consoles, but outside of some menus, it still felt mostly like a PC game. By the 3rd game, however, it was crystal-clear that the PC version was no more than an afterthought to the developers.

One very common ailment of console-to-PC ports is forced mouse acceleration. Every halfway serious PC gamer will tell you that this is simply an awful feature that, at least in a shooter, no one should ever use. So we (the PC gaming crowd) frequently have to search online for tweaks to certain config files just to disable the stupid mouse acceleration.

Oh wow, Dead Space too? What you said about controls reminds me of the PC port for Resident Evil 4, you
almost needed a second person to play the game as the controls are very illogical and crashes when you change the control scheme. I heard that "The Witcher 3" doesn't work too well on consoles since it's too much for the console to handle, "Skyrim" is the same for PS3, it does play alright... until it lags. Dear God, the lag is unbearable... :?

That's odd, why would they do that? Why would they change the feel of the game?

I've honestly never heard of that until now, I take it's also bad for muscle memory when you are playing the game?
It's like "auto-aim" on consoles, you basically mash a button (usually L1) to aim, and it snaps to the target instantly.. You can't disable it on some games, and it's not considered cheating unless online where I am fully against it's use.

Bluespark wrote:To be entirely honest, even if there was an English localization, I wouldn't have any desire to watch it. Somehow, the thought of conveying the story of a Tales game in anime form doesn't really click with me. I think they're great games and should be experienced as such.

However, for people who don't want to spend the money or the 60-80 hours it takes to complete a single playthrough, I guess it's cool that the animes are still an option :).

That's cool, I know there is an anime of "Atelier Escha and Logy", but it's not the same as playing the game.
Whoa, 60-80 hours? Now I wish I could have bought the game back in England, darn it. I like games with a long story line, it makes me want to relax and soak up all the game has to offer me. :D

Bluespark wrote:While I've never played Doom myself, I of course know about its reputation as a classic among FPSs. Allow me to take a detour in this paragraph: I finally finished my Fallout 4 playthrough yesterday (yay me!). After that, I decided that I'd go retro myself and install the good old Max Payne again. It's a welcome change of pace, I'll tell you that. Both Max Payne and Doom are considered abandonware by now, so there are websites offering them to download for free. Even though it's not technically legal, many development studios actually support this practice because it keeps old games 'alive' in a sense. So perhaps I'll actually give Doom a shot at some point (although the pixelated graphics really aren't pretty to look at from today's perspective :P).

Oh nice! I recently started playing "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory" on the PS2, gotta say for a game that came out in 2005, it's not shabby! It's definitely made for hardcore fans though, so if you haven't played the series then I would start with either the first game or the fourth game "Double Agent". The second game can be hard, almost everyone gets stuck at one point...

Yes, it not officially supported but developers do acknowledge that some older games need to be kept alive in some shape or form. Hehe.. there is always "Time Crysis" with it's graphics, ever played that in an arcade? ;)

Bluespark wrote:I created a Reddit account several years back - I don't even remember for what reason, initially. But every couple of months or so, I find a subreddit that I'm interested in and drop some posts here and there. I've seen some serious toxicity, but as far as I can tell at this point, the Animedubs community seems like a nice bunch of people overall.

I agree, the AnimeDubs community does look to be more mature and considerate compared to some of the other places I have been. I know there is some toxicity on /r/Anime since a colleague of mine said something about it being a very judgmental place?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 am

MojaveRena wrote:I heard that "The Witcher 3" doesn't work too well on consoles since it's too much for the console to handle, "Skyrim" is the same for PS3, it does play alright... until it lags. Dear God, the lag is unbearable... :?
That reeks of bad playtesting. I suppose that in this case, the console ports might've just been designed as easy cash-grabs since, at least from what I've heard, both PC games were immensely popular.

MojaveRena wrote:That's odd, why would they do that? Why would they change the feel of the game?
From what I can tell, 'snap-to-cover' systems à la Gears of War are pretty much a staple in console gaming these days. That's one thing they introduced in F.E.A.R. 3 which, in my opinion, doesn't suit PC games at all. Or maybe I'm just too old-fashioned...

MojaveRena wrote:I've honestly never heard of that until now, I take it's also bad for muscle memory when you are playing the game?
Yup, precisely. You instinctively learn how far you have to move your hand to make a half-rotation at a given mouse sensitivity. Mouse acceleration screws with that muscle memory depending on how fast or slow you move the mouse. It's a feature that's perfectly adequate for desktop use, web browsers etc., but in FPS video games, it's just about the most aggravating thing you'll encounter.

MojaveRena wrote:I recently started playing "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory" on the PS2, gotta say for a game that came out in 2005, it's not shabby!
I remember buying the Splinter Cell trilogy collection (i.e. the first 3 games) years ago for just a couple of bucks. However, I think I threw in the towel in the late stages of the 1st one on a timed mission. Those stealth-focused games were never quite my cup of tea, to be honest. I like gunfight-focused titles more, but a nice mixture between the two can be fun, as well.

MojaveRena wrote:Hehe.. there is always "Time Crysis" with it's graphics, ever played that in an arcade? ;)
Can't say I have. I've only been to arcades a handful of times when I was a child. But I do know what the typical level of visual quality looks like ;). Which really isn't a negative, it's part of the charm of this type of games.

So, a random question that's not directly anime-related, but builds on a popular anime trope: Do/Would you prefer vacations at the beach or in the mountains?

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 am

BlueSpark wrote:That reeks of bad playtesting. I suppose that in this case, the console ports might've just been designed as easy cash-grabs since, at least from what I've heard, both PC games were immensely popular.

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the bad playtesting, it felt more like a game that was rushed for the console version due to the amount of faults there are. The game was basically unplayable thanks to the lag during large fights. If this were on PC, there would have been a patch straight away.

MojaveRena wrote:From what I can tell, 'snap-to-cover' systems à la Gears of War are pretty much a staple in console gaming these days. That's one thing they introduced in F.E.A.R. 3 which, in my opinion, doesn't suit PC games at all. Or maybe I'm just too old-fashioned...

I don't think you're old-fashioned in the slightest, I believe PC games should have the controls meant for PC gaming and leave gimmicks like that to the consoles.
Because on console, I know for a fact that you need that feature. On PC, you don't.

MojaveRena wrote:Yup, precisely. You instinctively learn how far you have to move your hand to make a half-rotation at a given mouse sensitivity. Mouse acceleration screws with that muscle memory depending on how fast or slow you move the mouse. It's a feature that's perfectly adequate for desktop use, web browsers etc., but in FPS video games, it's just about the most aggravating thing you'll encounter.

I thought so, muscle memory is an important part of gaming, the controls are supposed to reflect that so you get better at playing the game.
And also depending on the speed of the forced-acceleration, you could trick yourself into messing up. Nobody wants that while playing a game.

MojaveRena wrote:I remember buying the Splinter Cell trilogy collection (i.e. the first 3 games) years ago for just a couple of bucks. However, I think I threw in the towel in the late stages of the 1st one on a timed mission. Those stealth-focused games were never quite my cup of tea, to be honest. I like gunfight-focused titles more, but a nice mixture between the two can be fun, as well.

Thing is with stealth games, you are meant to take your time, if you are given a time limit during the level, then it is defeating the point of being a stealth-based game.

There is "Splinter Cell; Blacklist", you can go in "gun-blazing" and still win the game. In fact, some missions require it. ^^

MojaveRena wrote:Can't say I have. I've only been to arcades a handful of times when I was a child. But I do know what the typical level of visual quality looks like ;). Which really isn't a negative, it's part of the charm of this type of games.

So, a random question that's not directly anime-related, but builds on a popular anime trope: Do/Would you prefer vacations at the beach or in the mountains?

Oh God yeah, it has terrible graphics but still good fun. XD

My mind says "the beach" but my heart says "the mountains" - I do like the beach even though I am introverted, I like to see people having fun and you can meet some cool people there. I suppose you can say the same thing about mountains, but I like the cold more that the heat so I would say mountains are my favourite in real life.

I do see this a lot in anime, the "beach episodes" but recently mountaineering has been popular with "Yuru Camp" and "Encouragement of Climb" both well-loved by yours truly. ;)
Perhaps anime has unconsciously made me a mountain fan?

What about you?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:03 am

MojaveRena wrote:The game was basically unplayable thanks to the lag during large fights.
Ugh... These days, I get annoyed as soon as the framerate drops below 60. Luckily that doesn't happen often since I build a pretty good rig about 1,5 years ago and I don't play many newer games, anyway. But there are some titles so underoptimized that certain passages cause major lag even on high-end computers.

MojaveRena wrote:There is "Splinter Cell; Blacklist", you can go in "gun-blazing" and still win the game. In fact, some missions require it. ^^
I wonder what your weapon arsenal in that game looks like ;). As far as I remember, Splinter Cell 1 only gave you a silenced pistol and a submachine gun. Part of the fun in a shooter, for me, stems from the variety in weaponry.

MojaveRena wrote:My mind says "the beach" but my heart says "the mountains" - I do like the beach even though I am introverted, I like to see people having fun and you can meet some cool people there. I suppose you can say the same thing about mountains, but I like the cold more that the heat so I would say mountains are my favourite in real life.
[...]
What about you?
I'd pick the mountains any day of the week, hands down. Although a big part of my preference might be because one always associates the beach with summer and sunshine, and like you, I can't really stand hot weather. Plus (I wonder if I already posted this before, too lazy to check) I used to go on vacation at the Mediterranean in France all the time as a child, so I'm a bit oversaturated on beaches as it is :P.

However - I'm going to cheat now by introducing a 3rd option -, a most awesome way to spend some free days for me is booking a place at a resort à la Center Parcs, if you've ever heard of that. You basically stay in a small, almost cottage-like house, surrounded by trees and possibly a lake. It's a great time to take in the tranquil landscape, play some games, go on walks, visit the nearby shopping center, go swimming at the pool, go running and relax on the couch afterwards... And, of course, bring your laptop to watch some anime in-between. The whole kit and kaboodle, as they say. I went to such as place last fall with my family (parents, siblings, brother-in-law, nephews and grandparents), and we'll be going again in October. Good times :).

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:50 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Ugh... These days, I get annoyed as soon as the framerate drops below 60. Luckily that doesn't happen often since I build a pretty good rig about 1,5 years ago and I don't play many newer games, anyway. But there are some titles so underoptimized that certain passages cause major lag even on high-end computers.

Yes, there are some games out there that don't run smoothly even with high-end gaming PCs, I heard some odd stories about "GTA 4" not being able to play on PC even with the patches, whereas the console version works fine. I find this odd because the next game "GTA 5" runs better on PC than on console...

Personally, I don't play newer games since most of the games I want to play have already been released, not because I have a factory-spec laptop. :D

MojaveRena wrote:I wonder what your weapon arsenal in that game looks like ;). As far as I remember, Splinter Cell 1 only gave you a silenced pistol and a submachine gun. Part of the fun in a shooter, for me, stems from the variety in weaponry.

You get a silenced pistol, a stun gun and a knife. You can buy more weapons, armor, gadgets and camouflage using the in-game currency. And there are about 10 weapons in each category.
You can choose between how to complete the mission; one by slipping past all the guards without being seen or knocking anyone out, one by shooting everything you see, and the other is an in-between mode which is recommended for first-time players.

MojaveRena wrote:I'd pick the mountains any day of the week, hands down. Although a big part of my preference might be because one always associates the beach with summer and sunshine, and like you, I can't really stand hot weather. Plus (I wonder if I already posted this before, too lazy to check) I used to go on vacation at the Mediterranean in France all the time as a child, so I'm a bit oversaturated on beaches as it is :P.

However - I'm going to cheat now by introducing a 3rd option -, a most awesome way to spend some free days for me is booking a place at a resort à la Center Parcs, if you've ever heard of that. You basically stay in a small, almost cottage-like house, surrounded by trees and possibly a lake. It's a great time to take in the tranquil landscape, play some games, go on walks, visit the nearby shopping center, go swimming at the pool, go running and relax on the couch afterwards... And, of course, bring your laptop to watch some anime in-between. The whole kit and kaboodle, as they say. I went to such as place last fall with my family (parents, siblings, brother-in-law, nephews and grandparents), and we'll be going again in October. Good times :).

Oh, you didn't tell me you went to France. I think you said you can speak French before. I struggle to understand French when spoken if I listen to French radio stations but I have no problems reading it, possibly thanks to Italian.
Are you a linguist by chance? Do you study languages or just have an interest learning about them? I like endangered languages and dialects since very few people speak them, it would be a shame if the languages were to die out.
Any endangered languages or dialects where you are in Germany? I heard Alsatian is getting a revival but that's in France, it would be interesting to know what languages are out there in your country. I try to watch some videos on Youtube of people speaking different languages and trying to document them. The channel is called "WikiTongues" if you're interested. As a second-language Italian speaker, I recommend the Sardinian video. ;)

Yes, there was a Centre Parcs near where I used to live in England. You can just zone out and relax in the woodlands and breathing the atmosphere in. But that was over 17 years ago since I last went with my family (I was 8 at the time) and I can only remember running through the woodland and a nice sauna in the cottage I stayed in.
Oh, that sounds great! I wish you and your family a wonderful time when you go there again. :)

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:49 am

MojaveRena wrote:Personally, I don't play newer games since most of the games I want to play have already been released, not because I have a factory-spec laptop. :D
Despite having a pretty strong rig, myself, I tend forego most new games because
a) I'm not keeping up with gaming news so I rarely know what's coming out,
b) I'd rather wait until their price goes down after a while, and
c) there are so many older games I love to replay (some of which I have yet to finish, for example Dragon Age).
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but what I do know is I'm saving a lot of money... which I then proceed to pump into anime blu-ray imports :P.

MojaveRena wrote:I struggle to understand French when spoken if I listen to French radio stations but I have no problems reading it, possibly thanks to Italian.
That sounds about right to me; due to their common roots, Italian and French are very closely linked, but the sound of the two languages is decidedly different. Makes sense that you'd have an easier time with reading over listening comprehension. It's actually a pretty similar situation with German and Dutch: I understand a good bit when reading, but hearing someone speak the language throws me off too much.

MojaveRena wrote:Are you a linguist by chance? Do you study languages or just have an interest learning about them?
Oh, absolutely :). I learned English, French, Latin and a single year's worth of Hebrew in school. After graduating, I proceeded to study Applied Linguistics. I'm quite fascinated by all things related to language, most prominently grammar. Even though people warned me beforehand that a course of studies like that didn't confer the best qualification for a secure and/or high-paying career, I don't regret a thing because I genuinely had lots of fun during my lectures and seminars at university (well, unless you count my minors, which were a bit more of a drag), and nowadays I'm mostly enjoying my work as an editor, too.

I can't say I've ever really looked into endangered languages. As much as you might not expect this from me, I'm rather pragmatical when it comes to language diversity: If a language dies out because there aren't any more people around to speak it, I say it's outlived its usefulness. I do think it'd be nice if it were preserved for posterity in writing, the way Latin is (Latin does have an amazing grammar, by the way - complex yet economical and highly flexible). Heck, I'd honestly be fine if English one day became the official language in Germany (or even all of Europe, for that matter). The benefit of a common ground for communication weighs more to me than the 'cultural value' contained in the individual languages.

MojaveRena wrote:Any endangered languages or dialects where you are in Germany? I heard Alsatian is getting a revival but that's in France, it would be interesting to know what languages are out there in your country.
You've got me stumped with this one :P. I only know of a handful of major German dialects, and I don't think any of them are in danger of disappearing anytime soon. However, a fellow student in a seminar once held a presentation on a very specialized regional sub-dialect her grandmother used to speak. Some of these really small variants might get eroded over time. Nothing I can say for sure, though.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Despite having a pretty strong rig, myself, I tend forego most new games because
a) I'm not keeping up with gaming news so I rarely know what's coming out,
b) I'd rather wait until their price goes down after a while, and
c) there are so many older games I love to replay (some of which I have yet to finish, for example Dragon Age).
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but what I do know is I'm saving a lot of money... which I then proceed to pump into anime blu-ray imports :P.

I've been saving up money too, ever since I found some anime dvds in my local supermarket, I've been looking for games to buy there too. Postal service can be poor in Italy so I have to resort to buying what I want down my local supermarket. I swear if I find any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games there or the Higurashi Blu-Ray, I'm just gonna buy them straightaway. :D

Bluespark wrote:That sounds about right to me; due to their common roots, Italian and French are very closely linked, but the sound of the two languages is decidedly different. Makes sense that you'd have an easier time with reading over listening comprehension. It's actually a pretty similar situation with German and Dutch: I understand a good bit when reading, but hearing someone speak the language throws me off too much.

Yeah, I can read it more or less like it was Italian. Spanish is the same thing as well but there are a few "false friends" that don't have the same meaning as in Italian, which leads to interesting mishaps. ;)

Bluespark wrote:Oh, absolutely :). I learned English, French, Latin and a single year's worth of Hebrew in school. After graduating, I proceeded to study Applied Linguistics. I'm quite fascinated by all things related to language, most prominently grammar. Even though people warned me beforehand that a course of studies like that didn't confer the best qualification for a secure and/or high-paying career, I don't regret a thing because I genuinely had lots of fun during my lectures and seminars at university (well, unless you count my minors, which were a bit more of a drag), and nowadays I'm mostly enjoying my work as an editor, too.

I can't say I've ever really looked into endangered languages. As much as you might not expect this from me, I'm rather pragmatical when it comes to language diversity: If a language dies out because there aren't any more people around to speak it, I say it's outlived its usefulness. I do think it'd be nice if it were preserved for posterity in writing, the way Latin is (Latin does have an amazing grammar, by the way - complex yet economical and highly flexible). Heck, I'd honestly be fine if English one day became the official language in Germany (or even all of Europe, for that matter). The benefit of a common ground for communication weighs more to me than the 'cultural value' contained in the individual languages.

I've only studied; French in middle school, Greek in high school and Japanese in my spare time. I learned my Italian by listening to people speaking around me, so you could say my Italian is more about comprehension instead of actually speaking it. My grammar sucks in Italian (still, after all these years) but I can understand it as if it were English. Italian dubbed shows were a great help for me to learn to language so maybe that is where my love for dubs comes from? ;)

That's quite interesting for me, I understand the need for a common ground and at the same time, cultural or regional pride. English has become the international language or "lingua media" of the world now, and often people need to speak English if they want to communicate with people who don't speak the native language of the country they are in.
That said, I think countries would lose some of their national identity if they all spoke English as an official first language and abandoned their original language. I know what you mean by what you said, it's a difficult matter in my opinion.

Bluespark wrote:You've got me stumped with this one :P. I only know of a handful of major German dialects, and I don't think any of them are in danger of disappearing anytime soon. However, a fellow student in a seminar once held a presentation on a very specialized regional sub-dialect her grandmother used to speak. Some of these really small variants might get eroded over time. Nothing I can say for sure, though.

Aww, that's nice of her to try to keep the language going. She must have been proud of herself after that presentation.

In Italy, dialects are very widely-spoken, except for Griko - a Greek-based dialect where I live in Puglia. It's more spoken in Sicily but there are a few people who like to sing in Griko. I do speak a bit of it but I'm better at reading it.

There aren't many dialects in England to speak of.. there are hundreds of accents in how we speak English. Oh, we do have Cornish, but that's a separate language which has Celtic roots not too dissimilar to Welsh or Breton.

PlatinaHeart
I Like Anime

Postby PlatinaHeart » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:04 pm

MojaveRena wrote:There aren't many dialects in England to speak of.. there are hundreds of accents in how we speak English. Oh, we do have Cornish, but that's a separate language which has Celtic roots not too dissimilar to Welsh or Breton.

So you can do Cockney English? ::hi::