Destined to Anime

Let us get to know you!
DigitalSpaceman
I Like Anime

Re: Destined to Anime

Postby DigitalSpaceman » Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 am

BlueSpark wrote:I hope you won't hate your senpai for this, but I have a really difficult relationship with older animes (roughly pre-2005). I tend to enjoy the newer-generation style much more. I don't doubt that you're awesome, though ^_~.

If you mean specifically visually I certainly agree with you, 90's anime definitely doesn't look good. There was something about the stories back then though. To put it simply I feel like even though they still have lots of trope the individual stories still stood out from each other more.

BlueSpark wrote:That's a very good point to make. Every once in a blue moon, you'll find a show like this which employs its ecchi elements as an integral part of the overarching concept. I still remember how Aria: The Scarlet Ammo uses its lewd scenes to fuel the protagonist's hysteria mode. Or how in Yamada's First Time, Yamada positively enforces ecchi moments because she (thinks she) wants to be looked at as sexually desirable.

I'll have to check those two out, I haven't seen them before. Thanks!

BlueSpark wrote:Sounds like you would get a kick out of Light Yagami and Lelouch vi Britannia. Both of them were the shining beacons of their respective shows in my opinion (I mean, that's what the psychological genre is all about).
Keima Katsuragi, my favorite male anime protagonist, also sort of satisfies these criteria. I admire how he stays true to himself and makes the best out of his flawed (in the sense that all humans are inherently flawed) character against all odds.

Code Geass has been on my list for awhile but i never get to it. Death Note and God Only Knows are two series I loved back in my manga days. Never seen the anime for either though. I feel like Death Note wont be nearly as good, manga is best medium for super wordy psychological battles.

Chris wrote:welcome digi space

;-p

hope you have yourself alot of fun and make plenty of friends

Thanks Chris glad to have a place where I can seek more waifus.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 24, 2018 3:06 am

DigitalSpaceman wrote:If you mean specifically visually I certainly agree with you, 90's anime definitely doesn't look good.
Well, for me, it's actually more than just the visuals. Older animes on the whole simply feel more... tame, mild, reserved - whatever you want to call it. One aspect where I think this holds especially true is the comedy. I don't always need to be whacked over the head by slapstick gags, but truth be told, I usually prefer those over the kind of reserved humor often found in older series. I just find new-generation animes more expressive... or something. It's really hard to pinpoint, or describe, for that matter.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:I'll have to check those two out, I haven't seen them before. Thanks!
Don't take my mentioning of these series as unconditional recommendations - they just came to mind with respect to the topic at hand. Neither is among my anime favorites, but I did enjoy both to a good extent. Except for Aria's spin-off AA. If you want to watch that, definitely do not expect a sequel. It's a completely different story that's mainly an excuse for shoujo ai shenanigans.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

DigitalSpaceman
I Like Anime

Postby DigitalSpaceman » Thu May 24, 2018 9:26 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Well, for me, it's actually more than just the visuals. Older animes on the whole simply feel more... tame, mild, reserved - whatever you want to call it. One aspect where I think this holds especially true is the comedy. I don't always need to be whacked over the head by slapstick gags, but truth be told, I usually prefer those over the kind of reserved humor often found in older series. I just find new-generation animes more expressive... or something. It's really hard to pinpoint, or describe, for that matter.

I almost feel the opposite in terms of general expression anime to anime, although I certainly see your point on comedy. Different strokes for different folks.

BlueSpark wrote:Don't take my mentioning of these series as unconditional recommendations - they just came to mind with respect to the topic at hand. Neither is among my anime favorites, but I did enjoy both to a good extent. Except for Aria's spin-off AA. If you want to watch that, definitely do not expect a sequel. It's a completely different story that's mainly an excuse for shoujo ai shenanigans.

Haha they still sound interesting so I'll check them out eventually.