YOUSORO!

Let us get to know you!
Eira
Anime Junky

YOUSORO!

Postby Eira » Sun May 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Hey, so I found this website via the podcast, which I feel like that’s usually the case. So here’s the thing, when it comes to podcasts I’m additcted to them and like to make sure I always have some episodes to listen to, so when I find a new one I go back and listen to every single episode from the beginning. So I’ve been going through the podcast from the beginning and at the moment I’m in early 2015 back when aldanoh zero season 2 war airing, lol.

Either way I’m up to date in anime and watch stuff while it’s airing so I feel like I can be here and be a part of discussion, even if I’m WAY behind in the podcast cause I wanna listen to everything.

Been watching anime for 4 years and 6 months, I know that’s not long at all compared to some people, but over watched a fair chunk of anime! If it’s okay to put a MAL link here then you can check it out if you want: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99

That’s got my favourites and you can probably get a good idea of my taste via that, I don’t score anything but I’ve written some reviews and they have scores on them so you can also take a quite look at those for a general idea of my tastes.

I hope the community here really is good and I look forward to talking about anime and all that good stuff with everyone.
Last edited by Eira on Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Re: YOUSORO!

Postby Chris » Mon May 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Welcome i hope you find plenty of friends here and have alot of fun

dig in and chat up a storm

;-)

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 am

It appears I'm about a day late to dispense greetings... Must be losing my touch. Regardless, welcome :].

I think 4,5 years is a respectable timespan for an anime fan, so don't worry ;). Unfortunately, your MAL link doesn't seem to be working. Maybe check it again?

Regarding your game of catch-up on the older podcast episodes, I totally feel you. I started following the podcast when episode 293 was fresh and slowly listened through the older episodes over time. I literally finished ep 292 a couple of days ago, so I'm finally done :D.

If you're in the swing of airing anime, more power to ya. It's not my thing, personally - I only watch 1 series at a time and usually finish it within a couple of days. So you won't be seeing me in the Seasonal Discussion section (except for rare occasions). However, I'll be glad to converse about finished shows that I've seen. I don't have a MAL account, but my preferred genres are drama, romance, comedy and slife of life, and I stick to English dubs 95% of the time.

Since you're new and I'm BlueSpark, expect a random question to be tossed your way. Like, right now. Here it comes: What do you think of domestic skills (cooking in particular) as a character trait in anime? Do you find kitchen-savvy characters appealing? How does gender play into this? Any specific examples that stuck out to you from shows you've watched?

As per usual, I will conclude by making you aware of a forum game we have going (my splendid creation :P). It's linked in my signature and revolves around finding different anime characters with similar looks and/or personality. I'd be happy if you'd stop by and give it a try :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi, welcome to OtakuSpirit!

Eira wrote:Hey, so I found this website via the podcast, which I feel like that’s usually the case. So here’s the thing, when it comes to podcasts I’m additcted to them and like to make sure I always have some episodes to listen to, so when I find a new one I go back and listen to every single episode from the beginning.

Either way I’m up to date in anime and watch stuff while it’s airing so I feel like I can be here and be a part of discussion, even if I’m WAY behind in the podcast cause I wanna listen to everything.

This is exactly how I found this site not too long ago, I started trying to catch up on all the podcast episodes as soon as I could. What other podcasts do you listen to by the way? I also like listening to AnimeArcade, ThatAnimeShow and DubTalk.

Eira wrote:If it’s okay to put a MAL link here then you can check it out if you want: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira99

I think your MAL link is not working. Is this your profile? https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99 . If that is you with the New Game review and Chris Patton in your favourite voice actors list, then we're gonna get along just fine. 8-) If not, then I apologize for the random link.

Eira wrote:I hope the community here really is good and I look forward to talking about anime and all that good stuff with everyone.

Yeah, I gotta say this has to be one of the most kindest communities I have ever joined. Great bunch of people here. :)

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 pm

What do you think of domestic skills (cooking in particular) as a character trait in anime? Do you find kitchen-savvy characters appealing? How does gender play into this? Any specific examples that stuck out to you from shows you've watched?

I personally don’t see cooking skills at a trait for starters, I don’t think hobbies or skills are the same thing as personality (a mistake some anime tend to make) but I’m going to assume you’re not asking about that specifically and more so just wanna know why I think about characters that are good at cooking. I don’t really know if I find them appealing simply because I’ve seen so few, I haven’t watch sougeki no soma (forgive me if it’s soelt wrong) yet so I don’t have that cast to draw from. Most of the time a kitchen savvey character is either appealing or not based on completly different reasons as far as I can think. As far as gender goes I don’t think anime is actually that bad in this area, as far as I can tell skilled cooks can be males and females, maybe I just haven’t been seeing a skew based on what I’ve watched but for me it seems pretty fairly spread. One thing that has stuck out to me though is this weird Trend anime has of making younger sisters be better at cooking or other house things so that the main charter can be the generic clutz, K-On being the biggest I can think of, with Yui being an adorable but useless girl outside of singing and guitar playing but her younger sister being really good at house work, I don’t know why they do the younger sister for this stuff but it also happened in regalia!

What other podcasts do you listen to by the way?

As far as anime podcasts go I just listen to the weekly weebcast (which is never weekly, they’re really bad at that). But outside of anime I also listen to the sincast a movie podcast run by the guys at CinemaSins, VGMpire, a Videogames music podcast, chilluminati podcats which is fairly new but it’s just guys being chill and talking about conspiracy theories, it’s fun and silly and they know it’s crazy. Then a few others that update rarely, inconsistently or have been dead for awhile so I won’t bother bringing them up.

Is this your profile? https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99 . If that is you with the New Game review and Chris Patton in your favourite voice actors list, then we're gonna get along just fine. 8-)

Yep, that’s me. I swear I copied the link so I don’t know why the _ was missing, I’ve edited my orginal post to fix it. But yes I love new game and I feel in love with Chris Patton when he did fakir in princess tutu, that show is actually really good and he just did an amazing job, it made me like the charter so much more and I think he captured it better then the Japanese voice actor did, that’s the only anime EVER when I swear up and down the English dub is better then the orginal Japanese. But for the most part I prefer Japanese dub with English subs. I also liked him in NHK, great show.

Thanks for all the welcomes, I was a little worried when a day went by and only Chris had anything to say, but I’m feeling better about coming here now, thanks a ton and I can’t wait to get to know you all and become a more active person around here, rather then just a passive listener.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 am

Eira wrote:I personally don’t see cooking skills at a trait for starters, I don’t think hobbies or skills are the same thing as personality (a mistake some anime tend to make)
You got me there. I guess I was using the term incorrectly - which is kind of embrassing for a language nut like me :]. Anyway, thanks for your thorough answer :).

Eira wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes, I was a little worried when a day went by and only Chris had anything to say, but I’m feeling better about coming here now
Well, I won't sugarcoat things: The forum hasn't been too active for a couple of months now, at least in the sections I frequent. You might have more luck in the Seasonal Discussion. But the people who do post are all extremely friendly and tolerant in my experience :).

Also, I just checked out your profile. That's quite an impressive resume. I would give you some recommendations from my selection of all-time favorites, but seeing how your plan-to-watch list is already massive, that might be counter-productive. All I'll say for now is: If you enjoyed Clannad, chances are you've going to love Kanon (I know it's already on your radar)!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Well, I won't sugarcoat things: The forum hasn't been too active for a couple of months now, at least in the sections I frequent. You might have more luck in the Seasonal Discussion.

Maybe, but overall I don’t mind too much if the forums aren’t super active, as long as there are some people going on each day and always something to talk about then I’m sure I’ll enjoy myself, besides with less people it’ll probably be easier to remember everyone.

BlueSpark wrote: I would give you some recommendations from my selection of all-time favorites, but seeing how your plan-to-watch list is already massive, that might be counter-productive. All I'll say for now is: If you enjoyed Clannad, chances are you've going to love Kanon (I know it's already on your radar)!

It deifntly is on my radar in terms of I do want to watch it, the only issue is that it’s impossible for me to get a hold of it in Australia (I’m from Australia) the main distribution company in Australia Madman did have the fights for it a while ago but the rights expired and there hasn’t been a lot of demand for it so they just let the rights expire which means legally they had to destroy all remaining stock and for now have decided to leave it retired ao no one owns the rights in Australia which also means it’s not on madman’s streaming site or on any streaming site when accessed from Australia. So for now it’s just gonna have to wait in the abyss of my PTW list. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to see it.

Oh and side note I only do things legally so yer. I have a region free player (obviously, I feel like it’s needed as an anime fan) so I might just import it from somewhere at another date.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 am

Gotcha. Licensing issues suck. I frequently import physical copies from the UK or America, because I want the English localized versions. But when that's not feasible (I only have so much budget to go around), I don't shy away from finding other 'sources' on the web. If you're able to keep it 100% legal, more power to you!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 am

BlueSpark wrote:If you're able to keep it 100% legal, more power to you!

Oh, let me tell you, it’s not easy, haha. I have four subscription serviced for anime, and even then I still have to buy stuff fairly often, luckily I go to almost all Australian conventions and I’ve befriended a few higher ups at the distribution companies just by going around and being friendly. Plus during conventions it’s easy to ask ‘hey, god about I buy these two and give me that third one for free’ and they almost say ‘sure’. It’s just a great environment to make deals.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 am

Eira wrote:I also listen to the sincast a movie podcast run by the guys at CinemaSins, VGMpire, a Videogames music podcast, chilluminati podcats which is fairly new but it’s just guys being chill and talking about conspiracy theories, it’s fun and silly and they know it’s crazy. Then a few others that update rarely, inconsistently or have been dead for awhile so I won’t bother bringing them up.

Oh, there was a conspiracy theorist podcast I used to listen to called "What they do not want you to know" (epic name, I know) and they had some genuinely interesting stuff they were chatting about. It's surprising what podcasts are out there, I found the link for OtakuSpirit on the exact same site as that conspiracy theory podcast so I can sorta thank that site. (It was "TuneIn" - an online radio streaming service)

Eira wrote:Yep, that’s me. I swear I copied the link so I don’t know why the _ was missing, I’ve edited my orginal post to fix it. But yes I love new game and I feel in love with Chris Patton when he did fakir in princess tutu, that show is actually really good and he just did an amazing job, it made me like the charter so much more and I think he captured it better then the Japanese voice actor did, that’s the only anime EVER when I swear up and down the English dub is better then the orginal Japanese. But for the most part I prefer Japanese dub with English subs. I also liked him in NHK, great show. [/spoiler]

I loved his performance in Ghost Stories (if you have seen that in the dub), it's almost an abridged dub how they did that show, but it made the anime much more enjoyable.
Gotta check out Princess Tutu in the dub then, can I recommend Space Dandy or Black Lagoon to you in the dub version? Chris Patton is not in those I don't think, but they are shows I think are much better in the dub.
I'm personally more of a dub guy myself but I do watch subbed anime too, all's well and good.

Oh NHK! Love that show! Definitely a show that can hit too close to home sometimes...

Eira wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes, I was a little worried when a day went by and only Chris had anything to say, but I’m feeling better about coming here now, thanks a ton and I can’t wait to get to know you all and become a more active person around here, rather then just a passive listener.

True, I'm personally shy about using forums but this one makes me feel at home. Honestly, I'm glad I joined so don't worry about chatting about things you wanna talk about. :)