Anime is my only reprieve between work, school, and life

Let us get to know you!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Anime is my only reprieve between work, school, and life

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:52 am

The title says it all. Hi, my name Seth Amaha. I live in Southern California, work full time, go to school part time, and have family that keep me busy. Between the moment in my busy schedule anime for me becomes the one true sigh of relief in life. I first became an anime addict back in 2005 when I first saw Love Hina ( because f that this show is very close and dear to my heart, Love Akamatsu-sensei to death) and since then I become obsessed with anime and to this day watch pretty much everything out ther ther than yaoi and long running franchises that I've never seen because I have a rule of not watching something mid way through even if the shows in the franchise have nothing to due with each other (I'm looking at you Pretty Cure).

Anime to me has become the one constant source of entertain in my life that keeps me going through my days and become my gateway out of the stress of everyday life without having to resort to dangerous lifestyle choices like drugs and alcohol (although a good drink every now and then is not bad just to enjoy a good meal). As this very post makes me out to be, I'm a normally quite person with way too many inner monologues to count.I fond this site from the podcast, which i discovered as I was searching for more podcasts to listen to while I worked and now here I am. Like I said, i'm normally very busy, but considering I don't get a many chances to do much socializing in life this will have to do.

As for my thoughts on the podcast, I'm still int the process of catching up, it may take me about a month to catch up completely but I am enjoying thus far. I like to play an inner monologue with myself where I tell he guys how wrong all their predictions were, how bad their pronunciations are, and what warning I would give be giving them for each show ( as I said, I watch everything).

That's about it on my end, I hope we can all get along and hopefully I'll get to talk to you soon, Ciao

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Anime is my only reprieve between work, school, and life

Postby Eira » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:22 am

SethAmaha wrote:The title says it all. Hi, my name Seth Amaha.

Hey, welcome to otaku spirit, I hope you’re not too busy to spend some good time on here and talk with everyone, it’s not too busy here anyway so you should never miss too much. Look forward to getting to know you.

SethAmaha wrote:I like to play an inner monologue with myself where I tell he guys how wrong all their predictions were.

I’m also still catching up with the podcast and I like doing the same thing, like the one time Andrew said there was “no doubt” in his mind that aldnoah zero would get a third season. Although that’s the only one I can remember on the spot I do remember having though similar things many times.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 am

welcome to the forums, i see that we have a relatively similar taste in music. have you checked out bands like septicflesh, fleshgod apocalypse, or the myriad of the touhou genres?

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:12 am

No, but I have heard I few touhou songs and fond them fabulous. I plan to one day look all that up and just find some good touhou artists like I do with vocaloid.

As for my current podcast listening experience., my inner monologues will sometimes show up in my face. Just today i was listening to them poke fun at the preview for Your Lie in April and I started laughing because they had no idea what was going to happen, then I started getting teary eyed and sad because I knew what had happened, then I started laughing again because I knew they would eat their words over they find out what I already knew and all of my co-workers that saw me thought I was having a mental breakdown and considering the subject matter, I think I actually was.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 am

Welcome

I hope you have lots of fun here and make plenty of friends

;-)

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 am

Welcome, Mr. Amaha. Another familiy man in our community (Not that I'm a father, myself, but there are quite a few among us). It's cool that anime helps you unwind when things get stressful. I make a conscious effort to keep my life as stress-free as possible, but I highly enjoy watching regardless :). I must say I admire you being able to "watch everything", though, given all the responsibilities that come with family life and part-time schooling on top of that.

SethAmaha wrote:As this very post makes me out to be, I'm a normally quite person with way too many inner monologues to count.
Reading this sounded funny at first, until I realized how true it rings. I remember going through the same motions when I listened to older podcast episodes as well as some other anime podcasts. I occasionally have silent monologs about a show I'm currently watching or a specific topic that's on my mind, too - all for lack of suitable real-life conversation partners who share my passion :P.

Since you're new and I'm weird, I will ask you a completely random anime-related question now. Don't worry, everybody who joins the forums has to go through this:

Do you find physically strong female characters attractive? What do you think about the relationship dynamic between a strong girl and a weak-ish male character (for example Keima and Kusunoki in The World God Only Knows)?

Since you have a lot of completed series under your belt, you've naturally encountered a plethora of different anime characters. If you're interested in applying your knowledge in a fun little forum game, you can check out mine. It's been on hold for a little while due to a lack of participants. You could jump right in there and complete the current round :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 am

I personally like the strong female characters. I guess it's because I never really liked the whole damsel in distress concept like you would find in older Disney movies, I've grown very fond of strong females in stories. That's not to say however that I don't like the female characters that are captured and unable to do anything, I just don't like the ones that don't try to do anything for themselves and rely too much on the male character to help them.

As for the male characters, I also don't like the truly wimpish characters but those like Keima are actually much higher in the line of usefulness that I don't have much problem with him. I guess that would be that hes attitude towards the females in the show isn't standoffish right off the bat like a lot of other shows would have and actually evolves and develops over time as he progresses from just interacting with them for the sake of the mission to actually developing a genuine relationship with them as their memories in the later part of the series return and the history they have become meaningful.