Short time listener, first time caller

Let us get to know you!
Omega
I Like Anime

Re: Short time listener, first time caller

Postby Omega » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Technicaly, it is/was popular. It would be like asking for ranma 1/2 or house ikkoku to be popular (all the same author, the great rumiko). They all are great animes/mangas but their time went by. What is the saying? 'There is a time and place for everything under the sun.'

Lets just be happy we were lucky enought to live throught and know those excelent titles!

That's fair, though by the time I discovered the larger anime scene (beyond toonami or what was available in syndication) their times had largely passed, giving way to Bebop and Trigun and other late 90s series that were picking up hype by being release in the US on DVD or on cable. I have been happy to see more people recognize Lum as she's kind of become the unoffical mascot of the Future Funk musical subgenre.

Thanks for the answers. So you're a connoisseur of balls-to-the-wall action animes? Unfortunately, I can't relate; I like my shows with as little action in them as possible :P. Romance and drama are what drew me into the medium, personally. But with its unbelievable genre diversity, anime has something to offer for everyone, and that deserves to be celebrated :].

Also, I'll gladly oblige to help you practice your German if you wish. I daresay that you're lucky, because I'm an absolute linguistics nut (with a Master's degree), so I'm always happy so spread my knowledge on grammar and such.
However, please stick to "du" if you don't mind; I'd say that's much more appropriate in a relatively intimate community such as ours :).

That's very true in regards to a variety that the anime medium allows. I think my interest in balls to the wall action series have been in decline lately though, my two favorite anime from last year was ZombieLand Saga and Yuru Camp. Also Azumanga Daioh is one of my favorite series of all time, so I do try to branch out more than sticking to one genre.

Though this year we get both the second season of One Punch Man and the first season of Dr. Stone, so I don't think I will lack for my action fix.

Also I will keep that in mind with "du" I've been taking break lately because I don't have anyone to bounce my learning off of.

Yo! You like love live! Ormaybe you just like Nozomi a lot, kinda seems outside of what you normally watch if you like action. But I ain’t complaining I love love live, I’m curious if you’ve seen Sunshine and if so who’s your favourite girl from that, also for me my favourite muse girl is Hanayo and from Aquors it’s Hanamaru.

I powered through the original Love Live probably about a month or so ago after taking a break a bit into season two. I then discovered that Sunshine's first season had been removed from Crunchyroll and haven't had time to go looking for other methods of watching it beyond the first episode on youtube. I think i will need a break before picking up Sunshine as after binging the first series the second starts off kind of feeling like a retread though I know it eventually goes in a different direction. I do like the one girl that claims to be an alien, so I will be keeping my eye on her when I get back to watching it.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:41 am

Omega wrote:I do like the one girl that claims to be an alien, so I will be keeping my eye on her when I get back to watching it.

That must of been a pretty horrid fandub that was on the one YouTube episode you saw if it claimed she was saying she’s an alien since that’s not the case at all. She claims to be a fallen angle, a demon bascially and thus she tried to recruit the other girls to be her little devils often, all for the sake of comedy of course.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 pm

That must of been a pretty horrid fandub that was on the one YouTube episode you saw if it claimed she was saying she’s an alien since that’s not the case at all. She claims to be a fallen angle, a demon bascially and thus she tried to recruit the other girls to be her little devils often, all for the sake of comedy of course.

Oh wow, that makes a lot more sense than aliens.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 am

For any questions regarding my native language, feel free to ask me in this thread, via PM, or even create a new thread in the General Discussion section. I don't think it'd bother anyone if we had a "Learning German" topic there.

Alien Yohane sounds like something out of an abridged series. I've never watched a fansubbed anime, and if this is any indication of the level of quality, I guess I should count myself lucky :P. Although I suppose it could turn into absolute hilarity. Like Ghost Stories for the sphere of dubbed animes.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Alien Yohane sounds like something out of an abridged series. I've never watched a fansubbed anime, and if this is any indication of the level of quality, I guess I should count myself lucky :P. Although I suppose it could turn into absolute hilarity. Like Ghost Stories for the sphere of dubbed animes.

My guess is they got confused, but I could be wrong. It did seem a little weird but I didn't know any better. I don't think I've watched an actual fansub in a long time, other than Ebichu.

I don't know if it's a thing any more but there used to be parody fansubs that would circulate, the one I vividly remember is of the live action Sailor Moon.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Alien Yohane sounds like something out of an abridged series. I've never watched a fansubbed anime, and if this is any indication of the level of quality, I guess I should count myself lucky.

Yer, fansubs can be pretty bad. Back in 2014 & 2015 I was an illegal anime watcher, Never looked back after i became full legal watching only in early 2016. But basically because I watched stuff illegally I would sometimes come across fansubs and they can get really bad.

Sometimes the subbers are so lazy they don't even translate something and the subs just say 'I can't understand this part' or 'I don't speak moon speak'. Which would get on my nerves and some just add their own weird flares to it that make no sense, I saw one that kept implying people were always referring to each other as 'Lil [Racial Slur]' which obviously wasn't the case.

Something else I saw a lot was subbers not translating some japanese words that most anime fans know, thins like Onii-chan and stuff would be kept the same. Plus keeping honorifics, they did that a lot too. Now obviously a lot anime fans know these Japanese words, but I did see it come up a number of times when I was still new to anime and it was really confusing for me as Onii-chan means brother but also a male brother like figure. So when the subs didn't clear up any difference but one was obviously a brother and others not related I was confused till I asked my more anime experienced friends about it and they cleared it up.

It's a weird bar of entry that I don't like, assuming that people just know this stuff.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Omega wrote:
Play games on PC?

got a discord account?

Mostly PC, though also PS4 though I don't get on very often.

I had a Discord account, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Only been on discord a couple of times.

So I forgot to respond to this, but add me on steam. You should be able to find my profile on the gamertag thread kyttynz put up. Depending on where you are we could set up some lobbies.