Short time listener, first time caller

Let us get to know you!
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Short time listener, first time caller

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Omega wrote:That's not to say I don't appreciate not having to wait three weeks for my Second generation VHS tapes from Hawaii to arrive so I can catch up on Inu-Yasha, but sometimes I feel like the anime fandom has lost that sense of community that it once had, though I have been known to be wrong in the past.

Eloquent way to state a point I've made for years man. Ease of access is fantastic, but because of it I feel the people who feel strongly about niche genres just get squelched out. It's one of the main reasons I find myself being pessimistic every season

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Omega wrote:sometimes I feel like the anime fandom has lost that sense of community that it once had, though I have been known to be wrong in the past.

I have to agree, I haven’t been around anime for a super long time but when looking back even I can see that the community use to be much more of that, a community.

I like to think this forum is better then nothing but this place also has its flaws in terms of being a community. But I hope you stick around and add discussion and help make this place more of what it should be, so it’s good to have another person on board, I hope you stick around.

This I also why I rebooted the watch alongs after the orginal run of them had stopped, I think it was a really good aspect that helped to make this place a community.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Dragonball or one piece? Lol

I've enjoyed both of them. I think Dragonball is an excellent adventure series and it's a good lead-in to DBZ. I would like to watch One Piece, maybe one day when I'm retired or an invalid and have time to set through 900 episodes of a series.

Eloquent way to state a point I've made for years man. Ease of access is fantastic, but because of it I feel the people who feel strongly about niche genres just get squelched out. It's one of the main reasons I find myself being pessimistic every season

I have to agree, I haven’t been around anime for a super long time but when looking back even I can see that the community use to be much more of that, a community.

I like to think this forum is better then nothing but this place also has its flaws in terms of being a community. But I hope you stick around and add discussion and help make this place more of what it should be, so it’s good to have another person on board, I hope you stick around.

Thank you for the kind words, I will certainly try to be around as much as my job permits me. I will say that as much as I can laud the sense of community that I felt, it's not all rose-colored glasses. I haven't been threatened with legal action over an anime forum in 15 years, so that's super sweet.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Heres your lightning round of questions.

If you could make an original spin off who would it follow, what and where would it happen?

Name an anime character you absolutely hate

You get to have a harem of [6] anime characters of your choice, who do you choose?

In your opinion, what makes a good anime

Is there an anime you wish was more popular?

Name a popular anime you hate

Best op/Ed?

What anime character is most similar to you in terms of personality?

Best mascot

Fastest dropped show? How far?

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 pm

If you could make an original spin off who would it follow, what and where would it happen?

6 seasons and a movie taking place after the events of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, following Lord Yupa and Asbel on their adventures.

Name an anime character you absolutely hate

Kokoro from Darling in the Franxx. Though I will admit half the hate is not just because she broke my son Futoshi's heart, but also my personal shame of imagining a larger character in anime series ending up with the beauty, which I should have remembered never happens.

You get to have a harem of [6] anime characters of your choice, who do you choose?

Lum (Urusei Yatsura)
Noriko (GunBuster)
Misato (Evangelion)
Yuri Sato (Otaku no Video)
Nozomi (Love Live)
Orihime (Bleach)

In your opinion, what makes a good anime

I think a good anime has a mixture of both engaging characters and over the top action, though I think different genres have different elements that make them good. Though if I'm honest, as I get older I would like to see shows that focus a bit more on adult situations, not necessarily of the ecchi variety, but stuff just life stuff that I can relate to. It gets harder and harder every year to relate to 15 year olds that are late for school, though I realize thats a large portion of the intended audience.

Is there an anime you wish was more popular?

Urusei Yatsura, not just because it's really funny but because a surge in popularity might ensure that it will get a new release with more than 3 episodes per DVD (For a show with 195 episodes, mind you)

Name a popular anime you hate

Hate is a strong word, though there are series that i just don't see the big deal about that everyone raves about, the most recent of which being A Place Further than the Universe, which i made it 4 episodes before getting tired with the 90s kids movie writing. Visually it looked amazing, but the story just didn't hold it for me, though I also felt like it's a show that needs to be appreciated by folks much younger than myself. I physically destroyed the copy of Sakura Wars that came in an issue of NewType USA if that counts as well.

Best op/Ed?

Op: Rinbu Revolution (Utena), Ed: Fly me to the Moon (Evangelion). Though I will admit that Chika's ED for Kaguya Love is War has been stuck in my head for three weeks.

What anime character is most similar to you in terms of personality?

Either Ken Kubo or Tanaka from Otaku no Video, though I always wanted to be Ataru Moroboshi

Best mascot

Tie between Makona from Rayearth or Kero-chan from Card Captor Sakura

Fastest dropped show? How far?

I recently tried to start watching Konosuba and couldn't get past the opening scene where Aqua was laughing at the main character for pissing himself.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Last 2 questions,
Play games on PC?

got a discord account?

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Play games on PC?

got a discord account?

Mostly PC, though also PS4 though I don't get on very often.

I had a Discord account, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Only been on discord a couple of times.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 am

Omega wrote:
Urusei Yatsura, not just because it's really funny but because a surge in popularity might ensure....

Technicaly, it is/was popular. It would be like asking for ranma 1/2 or house ikkoku to be popular (all the same author, the great rumiko). They all are great animes/mangas but their time went by. What is the saying? 'There is a time and place for everything under the sun.'

Lets just be happy we were lucky enought to live throught and know those excelent titles!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 am

Thanks for the answers. So you're a connoisseur of balls-to-the-wall action animes? Unfortunately, I can't relate; I like my shows with as little action in them as possible :P. Romance and drama are what drew me into the medium, personally. But with its unbelievable genre diversity, anime has something to offer for everyone, and that deserves to be celebrated :].

Also, I'll gladly oblige to help you practice your German if you wish. I daresay that you're lucky, because I'm an absolute linguistics nut (with a Master's degree), so I'm always happy so spread my knowledge on grammar and such.
However, please stick to "du" if you don't mind; I'd say that's much more appropriate in a relatively intimate community such as ours :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:03 am

Yo! You like love live! Ormaybe you just like Nozomi a lot, kinda seems outside of what you normally watch if you like action. But I ain’t complaining I love love live, I’m curious if you’ve seen Sunshine and if so who’s your favourite girl from that, also for me my favourite muse girl is Hanayo and from Aquors it’s Hanamaru.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560