Hey hey!

Let us get to know you!
briangowerhc
I Like Anime

Hey hey!

Postby briangowerhc » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 pm

Hey y'all! I've been a listener of the podcast for a while now. I really dig the format, the back and forth, the content etc. and wanted to get involved with the community.

I'd consider myself a casual anime fan but I watch as much as I can fit in between work and life. I work full time, play guitar in a gigging band, I host my own podcast, I try to work out... so time goes quick. I can usually only fit in a show or 2 a season. Sometimes I'll even wait on a show after the season is over so I can binge it.

I'm all over the road with shows I like. I can't really narrow it down. Sometimes I'll just pick random shows to watch. Or if i hear a recommendation from the 'cast. I like music, action, comedy, slice of life, adventure series. I dig Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Sword Art Online, Love Live, Zombie Land Saga, Konosuba, K-On!, ToraDora, etc. etc. yada yada.

I'll try and stay active here but I haven't been in a forum like this in years.

Oh yeah, I also like dubs. I'm THAT guy... don't ban me.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Hey hey!

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:50 am

A hearty hello to you, Mr. Brian (I hope that's OK for an abbreviation of your username?).

Nice to hear that the podcast has also clicked with you. After listening to a number of other anime podcasts over the years, the positive attitude of Otaku Spirit was a perfect break from all the hating and bashing going on in other shows. I've never looked back ;).

briangowerhc wrote:Sometimes I'll even wait on a show after the season is over so I can binge it.
That's my preferred way of watching anime. I feel that concentrating on one series at a time and going through it within a couple of days helps me get the most out of it, whereas I'd probably forget a lot of details by watching weekly episodes. Is it the same for you, or is binging simply more convenient in terms of time management?

briangowerhc wrote:I'll try and stay active here but I haven't been in a forum like this in years.
Before I joined here, I hadn't been active on a proper online forum for probably 8-10 years. I'm sure you'll find your groove again soon :).

briangowerhc wrote:Oh yeah, I also like dubs. I'm THAT guy... don't ban me.
Oh, we're going to get along just fine. Yes, we are :). I'm the resident dub freak. I've never enjoyed the way Japanese voice acting sounds (too overblown in my opinion), nor am I the biggest fan of localizations in my native language (a bit too stiff and uninspired most of the time). English dubs are my jam, plain and simple.
If actually know specific VAs and their roles, I'm always down to geek out about those ;). Brittney Karbowski is my favorite voice actress, for one.

Now, our new member will receive a question courtesy of BlueSpark's random question generator:
Do you have any particular interest in anime character artstyles? Any artstyle(s) you prefer over others?

As a last point, you're welcome to take a peek at the forum game I created, linked in my signature. If it looks like fun, you can jump in right away and name a character you find to be similar to The Ancient Magus' Bride's Chise.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here and we can all get along nicely.
briangowerhc wrote:I'd consider myself a casual anime fan but I watch as much as I can fit in between work and life. I can usually only fit in a show or 2 a season. Sometimes I'll even wait on a show after the season is over so I can binge it.

I’m the same kinda way, at least in terms of only watching 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) shows a season. But I pretty much always have 1 or 2 shows that I’m watching that have already finished airing as well. Stuff from older seasons, I also like to wait for shows to be done before watching them some of the time. But sometimes sequels or shows I really like the look of get me too hyped to wait for it to be done, like mob psycho II at the moment. I couldn’t stand to wait for it all to done and thus wait it as it airs.
briangowerhc wrote:Love Live

I guess at this post it’s bascially tradition for me to ask new users who their favourite love live girls are. So who’s your favourite, for both muse and Aquors. Mine are Hanayo and Hanamaru.
briangowerhc wrote:I'll try and stay active here but I haven't been in a forum like this in years.

Well when I joined I had never been a forum. But I eventually got the hang of what it’s like here and started to get along with everyone, just feel free to be yourself and start any conversations you want to and try your best to be a part of the community.

I guess I’ll take this moment to plug my own part of the forum I run since BlueSpark did the same. The community watch-along, I pick a category, people pick nominations and then everyone can vote for which show we will all watch together and then people who want to watch the show, we usually set a pace of 1 episode a day and talk about the show together after each episode, it’s pretty fun. At the moment we just finished one a while ago and the next one is going to start very soon, so keep your eyes open and feel free to drop in and give a nomination for a show.
BlueSpark wrote:
Oh, we're going to get along just fine. I'm the resident dub freak.

*Gasp* they’re spreading, another one has arrived! They might be staging a take over, at this rate there’ll be no sub watchers left, something must be done!

A joke of course, we accept all dub watchers here and to a dagree I actually like hearing about it. It’s interesting to find out how a dub of a show went without having to actually check it out myself, since I usually don’t take the risk. All personal tastes and opinions are valid.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 am

Eira wrote:They might be staging a take over
Hehe, gonna steal all them subtitles ::mischief::... Have fun with your raw output, suckers :P.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 am

Ban the dub watchers, they're a festering wound to this abscess of a community
Spoiler:
/s

If you like love live I need to suggest the way better idol show idolm@ster. Makoto master race, tomboy master race.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Eira wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Oh, we're going to get along just fine. I'm the resident dub freak.

*Gasp* they’re spreading, another one has arrived! They might be staging a take over, at this rate there’ll be no sub watchers left, something must be done!

I say we smoke them out of their hole and finish them off Megumin style!

P.s: briangowerhc, you better run away boy! Because even before your dub's love creates trouble for you, you will face a greater peril: people here will very soon bury you under many many questions on your anime hobby. You have been warned!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:09 pm

fragoff wrote:I say we smoke them out of their hole and finish them off Megumin style!
Expect Erica Mendez to blow your little Megumin seiyuu out of the water. Or out of whatever hole she's hiding in.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
fragoff wrote:I say we smoke them out of their hole and finish them off Megumin style!
Expect Erica Mendez to blow your little Megumin seiyuu out of the water. Or out of whatever hole she's hiding in.

Erica who? Stop talking trash! :P

P.s: had to work to get the reference, you damned dubbed freak!

P.p.s: both megumins are waifu material. Your erica is old and fat! :o :D
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

briangowerhc
I Like Anime

Postby briangowerhc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:15 am

BlueSpark wrote: English dubs are my jam, plain and simple.
If actually know specific VAs and their roles, I'm always down to geek out about those ;). Brittney Karbowski is my favorite voice actress, for one.

I'll watch subs when the dubs aren't available but dubs are more of my thing. I got the Funimation and Hi-Dive subscriptions. Erica Mendez is one of my favs. I mean, come on! Nico, Megumin, Diane, Ryuko... I'm done.

BlueSpark wrote:Now, our new member will receive a question courtesy of BlueSpark's random question generator:
Do you have any particular interest in anime character artstyles? Any artstyle(s) you prefer over others?

I have found my favorite characters tend to be female. They also tend to have pixie cuts. I don't know why. It is what it is. It's not a hard and fast rule but I've recently become aware. I'll talk with co-workers and when the discussion of favorite characters and "best girls" they mostly seem to have pixie cuts.
Last edited by briangowerhc on Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

briangowerhc
I Like Anime

Postby briangowerhc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:34 am

Eira wrote:I guess at this post it’s bascially tradition for me to ask new users who their favourite love live girls are. So who’s your favourite, for both muse and Aquors. Mine are Hanayo and Hanamaru.

My favorite Muse idol is Nico. My favorite Aqours idol is You. I rep stickers of each of them on my guitars and pedalboards at gigs. I even commissioned a custom made Nico fuzz pedal. I unashamedly rep my fandom and most peeps can dig it.

Eira wrote:I guess I’ll take this moment to plug my own part of the forum I run since BlueSpark did the same. The community watch-along, I pick a category, people pick nominations and then everyone can vote for which show we will all watch together and then people who want to watch the show, we usually set a pace of 1 episode a day and talk about the show together after each episode, it’s pretty fun. At the moment we just finished one a while ago and the next one is going to start very soon, so keep your eyes open and feel free to drop in and give a nomination for a show.

Dope! I'm definitely into that. I done watch alongs with friends & co-workers and they're fun.