Me :)

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Me :)

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:06 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:It seems like your friends and family do a lot better at making your day feel special!
Yeah, pretty much :]. Although it was a different story yet when I was a kid: My parents would give me a birthday present on the 24th of July ("half-year birthday gifts," we used to call them) while the rest of my relatives and friends would celebrate on the 24th with me, just like they still do today. I really appreciated that - after all, it's those childhood years when birthday presents still feel like something super special. Nowadays, if I really want anything, I can easily afford it, myself, so the magic of gifts has kind of worn off :P.

Is your husband a believing Christian, too, then? I would assume since you mentioned the two of you sharing important values. Would you feel comfortable naming one or two of those? I mean values that strongly influence the way you live your lives?

Lastly, to circle back to the topic of anime (crazy, right?): What do you think about tearjerkers in the medium? Do you seek them out, avoid them, or are you fine with whatever? Are you easily moved by emotional scenes?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:01 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Is your husband a believing Christian, too, then? I would assume since you mentioned the two of you sharing important values. Would you feel comfortable naming one or two of those? I mean values that strongly influence the way you live your lives?

Lastly, to circle back to the topic of anime (crazy, right?): What do you think about tearjerkers in the medium? Do you seek them out, avoid them, or are you fine with whatever? Are you easily moved by emotional scenes?

We share financial and dating values. We both don't believe in having any credit card debt, and enjoy saving money. We also are 'high maintenance,' we both like getting affection from each other and wouldn't want to be apart for an extended length of time. This is probably the most important shared value for me because I hate feeling like I'm a burden or that my special someone is sick of me and I would be a mess if Mr. Sierra left me for weeks on end for work (like I said, big houses are scary).
If a tear jerking scene is forced, I end up emotionally disconnecting from a show- but when shows have real emotional depth I absolutely love it ('a lull in the sea' anyone?)
The main reason I went on the form was because it's 1 am, German time, Christmas Eve. Happy birthday!!!!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:12 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:The main reason I went on the form was because it's 1 am, German time, Christmas Eve. Happy birthday!!!!
Aww, now you've contributed to making me feel special about my birthday, too :>. Thank you.

Also thanks for elaborating on the topic of shared values. I can imagine how important it is to have a like-minded partner when you're more on the 'clingy' side (I hope that's not a bad-sounding word to use here). I actually wonder how I'd rank on the maintenance scale if my past relationship had worked out. I'm not sure, but my guess is I'd still be more of an independent type.

I wholeheartedly agree on the emotional depth in Lull, but I'll freely admit that I tend to 'fall' for most tearjerker scenes in anime; I don't discriminate much. I absolutely get that some of them can feel hollow if there isn't enough build-up to base them on. That's why I don't consider planetarian as great of a show as other Key adaptations like Clannad or Kanon: At just about 1,5 hours (for the original ONAs), it was simply too brief to build up a strong connection with the characters.
I know that other people view all studio Key adaptations as "emotionally manipulative," but that's not a concept I've ever bought into. If it makes me feel genuine sadness, then it has done its job, and these shows definitely deliver in that regard. My suspicion is that many people throw the term around just to sound fancy when bashing an anime they didn't like.

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:39 pm

BlueSpark wrote:I know that other people view all studio Key adaptations as "emotionally manipulative," but that's not a concept I've ever bought into. If it makes me feel genuine sadness, then it has done its job, and these shows definitely deliver in that regard. My suspicion is that many people throw the term around just to sound fancy when bashing an anime they didn't like.

I would agree with you. If it made you feel, then it served it's purpose.
Have you started ascendance of a bookworm yet? I watched the first 4 dubbed episodes and it's been great!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:22 am

I haven't looked into that show yet since I have a strict binge-only policy. The idea of watching 1 episode per week has never appealed to me (except for my childhood days where I was at the mercy of the TV broadcast schedule, obviously). So I only watch completed anime seasons, and I only one at a time.

So what's your angle on this? Are you more of a fan of weekly episodes and engage in community discussion? Or do you enjoy watching through individual shows in a short period of time?

In any case, given how much our podcast hosts have been endorsing Bookworm, it's definitely on my list to check out once the current season wraps up.

Also speaking of tearjerkers, I've heard great things about the I Want to Eat Your Pancreas movie. I still haven't been able to get a hold of it in English dub, unfortunately. I usually sail the high seas to watch the animes I want to watch, but I make it a point to buy the physical releases for those that I enjoy a lot.

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:19 am

BlueSpark wrote:So what's your angle on this? Are you more of a fan of weekly episodes and engage in community discussion? Or do you enjoy watching through individual shows in a short period of time?

I do a bit of both. Usually Mr. Sierra and I start almost all the new anime when a season begins and then carry the ones we really like as weekly watched anime and save the ones we were iffy on for binging in a few sittings (I binge way harder than he does, I stayed up until 4 am last night watching a Korean romantic comedy)
This season for example we watched 'are you the one who loves me' (nicknamed Clean-Clean-kun harem), overcautious hero, and one other that im completely spacing on, together each week. I also watched 'assassins pride' and didn't I say to make my abilities average' by myself weekly.

The ones we stopped watching and are planning on watching when the dubs are all finished are the wrestling one, prodigies have it easy in another world, and bookworm (im cheating and started it early in subs, knowing I'll be rewatching the dub with him)
I also am newish to anime so I binge a lot of past anime (mostly when Mr. Sierra is at work or im stuck at school in between classes)

What animes from this season are you planning on watching ?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Sierraシエラ wrote:I stayed up until 4 am last night watching a Korean romantic comedy
For better or worse, those times are past for me; I've become way too straight-laced and conscious of my sleep cycle to do that anymore :P. I admire your passion, though. Anime is serious business, after all 8-).

Sierraシエラ wrote:I also am newish to anime so I binge a lot of past anime
While I've been a fan for over 15 years, I've always cherry-picked whichever show caught my interest, regardless of what was still new or even currently airing. As a result, there were a lot of titles that I 'missed.' So I still seek out plenty of older shows to watch even these days. For instance, Assassination Classroom is on my list for the near future.

Sierraシエラ wrote:What animes from this season are you planning on watching ?
I think there are quite a few, actually; I've been holding off on Sounds of Life since the 2nd season is about to come to a close. I've also heard good things about Stars Align. Crunchyroll is releasing a bunch of dubs this season, of which I'm interested in Ascendance of a Bookworm, If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord, and Magical Sempai.

And I'm pretty sure there were at least 1 or 2 more which I'm blanking on. *checks Animedubs Reddit* Oh yeah, possibly After-School Dice Club and No Guns Life. This makes 5-7 titles in total - quite a fruitful season for my standards, I'd say.

So, have you made any New Year's resolutions yet? Is that a concept you believe in in the first place?

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:57 pm

BlueSpark wrote: So I still seek out plenty of older shows to watch even these days. For instance, Assassination Classroom is on my list for the near future.

Is that the standard for old now. gao I'm old

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:31 pm

In this particular context, I just meant anything that isn't close to current, so like 1 year ago. My usual point of reference for "old" animes is still around pre-2005, but that's neither here nor there.

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:19 am

I always have short and long term goals but not really new year's ones. It's kinda unrealistic how some people think new years is going to change them when it takes real dedication and hard work.
If I had to pick a goal to finish by 2021 it would be making a baby for sure. Im also graduating with my bachelor's and starting my masters though, so as long as I stay in school and keep my grades up im somewhat okay.