Me :)

Let us get to know you!
Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Re: Me :)

Postby Sierraシエラ » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:40 am

BlueSpark wrote:I see. Have you watched Monster Musume yet?
He has watched is a few years back. I actually started watching it on Thursday last week but I only made it to 4 episodes. It's funny, but not as funny as some of my favorites.
Daimidaler: Prince vs. Penguin Empire is somewhere on my watch list after you recommended it to me a few months back.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:29 am

Right, I did mention Daimidaler before. Really, though, I'm not trying to hype it up as an amazing anime by any stretch. It's just a silly show full of ecchi humor and an English dub that's quite remarkable in its own way.

Alright, next up: You just mentioned in another thread that you don't do particularly well in crowds. Have you always been more of a fan of quiet environments and more intimate settings? Where do you see yourself on the scale of extroversion vs. introversion? I find this to be quite a fascinating topic. But then again, I've always been intrigued by psychological/personality models (such as the 4 temperaments, which I learned about during my time in high school).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Alright, next up: You just mentioned in another thread that you don't do particularly well in crowds. Have you always been more of a fan of quiet environments and more intimate settings? Where do you see yourself on the scale of extroversion vs. introversion?

It's actually because I have had so many issues with gropers during middle school-highschool when I was in big crowds. I can't seem to relax and find my self getting exhausted from my own paranoia.
I would say I have an extraverted personality but I prefer groups of 10 or less when I have parties so that I can still be myself and not go into a fake 'hostess' mode. I don't initiate conversations with strangers that much anymore, but when people come to me I enjoy getting to know them. Since I started dating Mr. Sierra, I usually only have 2 people over at a time. He's really introverted and definitely prefers intimate gatherings. What about you?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Sierraシエラ wrote:It's actually because I have had so many issues with gropers during middle school-highschool when I was in big crowds. I can't seem to relax and find my self getting exhausted from my own paranoia.
That sounds bad :(. Ironically, I've never heard any of my family, friends, or other real-life acquaintances talk about being groped in public spaces (or in private, for that matter) - so in my mind, it's always been nothing more than an anime trope. It sucks you had to go through that and have it permanently influence your personality.

Then again, I belive very few personality traits come without an upside. I would assume you're more cautious around strangers in general, right? Meanwhile, I'm more on the naive side. Just recently, I let a random person in the street talk me into lending him 20 euros (about 23 dollars, give or take). After telling me a story of how he needed to get to his sick parents, but didn't have enough money on hand to fill up on gas, he gave me his phone number and swore to me he'd pay me back with interest. As you can imagine by the way I started this little anecdote, I never got my money back :P. It feels bad to go out of my way to give people the benefit of the doubt in an age where mistrust towards strangers dominates our society, and then immediately be proved wrong. But I still have some faith in me.

Alright, switching to more fun topics again: What's the most amazing fictional world that you've seen in an anime? Be it a place or a society - just awesome worldbuilding in general.

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 am

BlueSpark wrote:Then again, I belive very few personality traits come without an upside. I would assume you're more cautious around strangers in general, right? Meanwhile, I'm more on the naive side.
I would still say that I am friendly to strangers, maybe a little fake though. When I'm uncomfortable I'll just agree to whatever they are saying to try to shorten a conversation. Last week, for example, a random salesman from Lowes suggested that next time my husband and I go to the international food import store an hour away from our town, we should invite him too and I just nodded and said that I would try to remember that.
I feel like people who are more trusting are happiest. I think you are best the way you are.

BlueSpark wrote:Alright, switching to more fun topics again: What's the most amazing fictional world that you've seen in an anime? Be it a place or a society - just awesome worldbuilding in general.

I really liked the SAO world. It is one of the few worlds that were really explained in detail, and one of the first animes I fell in love with. Fruits basket had a nice world build too, although they augmented reality with the zodiac aspect instead of creating their own. My all-time favorites would have to be Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings. What about you? Also have you seen Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:I feel like people who are more trusting are happiest.
I suppose that's true in a way. I spend much less time worrying about various things than other people (presumably) do.

Just recently, my mom got on my case again, trying to nudge me (less than subtly) towards looking for a new job just because my salary is on the lower end. Thing is, I like my job because it's largely stress-free with no overtime, I like my colleagues, and I especially like my short commute. Yet all my mother sees is me earning "too little" and being in danger of falling into poverty after I hit retirement because some predictions say that pension rates will continue to decline.
I have a more than healthy amount of money saved up, and that's only growing each month thanks to my very frugal lifestyle. I see absolutely no reason to worry myself now over a (very uncertain, because no one can predict the economical development) doom scenario 30+ years into the future.

Sorry, went a bit long-winded there with another anecdote. Thanks for your encouragement, though :).

Sierraシエラ wrote:What about you? Also have you seen Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings?
Yup - I believe I've actually seen every single movie from both franchises (which, for me, is a rare thing as I've hardly watched any live-action movies in the last... what, 10 years or so?). Out of the two, Harry Potter is easily my favorite; as I tend to mention frequently, fantasy settings usually aren't my cup of tea. I mostly enjoy light sci-fi instead. Harry Potter, with its supernatural setting, lies somewhere in the middle.

Regarding Sword Art Online, I'll say that I specifically loved the augmented-reality 'setting' in the Ordinal Scale movie. I found it was used very creatively.

In terms of actually fascinating worlds, my first thoughts always go to the realm of anime (no surprise there). I've always maintained that From the New World is a sleeper hit with the most marvelous worldbuilding I've ever witnessed. The completely different way their society works, with hints at the distant past (which is our real world - the show plays on earth 1,000 years in the future), and the uncanny atmosphere permeating the whole series are simply mind-boggling.

Other than that, both Made in Abyss and Darling in the FranXX sucked me right into their well-crafted fictional worlds. Yes, this is a thinly veiled recommendation for both shows in case you haven't seen them yet ;).

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:41 am

BlueSpark wrote:In terms of actually fascinating worlds, my first thoughts always go to the realm of anime (no surprise there). I've always maintained that From the New World is a sleeper hit with the most marvelous worldbuilding I've ever witnessed. The completely different way their society works, with hints at the distant past (which is our real world - the show plays on earth 1,000 years in the future), and the uncanny atmosphere permeating the whole series are simply mind-boggling.

Other than that, both Made in Abyss and Darling in the FranXX sucked me right into their well-crafted fictional worlds. Yes, this is a thinly veiled recommendation for both shows in case you haven't seen them yet ;).

I have seen made in the abyss but the other two will need to be added to my watch list. I feel like I never was about to fully understand the world of abyss though, it was never clearly explained. I still really liked the series though.

Wanta know a secret?
Spoiler:
I AM FINALLY PREGNANT ::peace::

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:51 am

No way! Your spoiler just legitimately gave me butterflies and a wide grin on my face. Congrats, Sierra :)! I know that pregnancy is a tough affair (as my sister went through it twice), but I'm also certain you'll climb that hurdle, seeing how determined you are to raise multiple children. I wish you the best for the upcoming months, including a lot of giddy anticipation ;).

Since this is your introduction thread, I'll use this glorious opportunity for another question: Are you wishing more for a boy or a girl, and why?

Sierraシエラ wrote:I feel like I never was about to fully understand the world of abyss though, it was never clearly explained.
True, the series left a lot of threads hanging. But judging by its success, I bet this isn't nearly the last we've seen of this anime. As far as I'm informed, a sequel movie is already coming.

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:39 am

BlueSpark wrote:No way! Your spoiler just legitimately gave me butterflies and a wide grin on my face. Congrats, Sierra :)! I know that pregnancy is a tough affair (as my sister went through it twice), but I'm also certain you'll climb that hurdle, seeing how determined you are to raise multiple children. I wish you the best for the upcoming months, including a lot of giddy anticipation ;)..

I haven't been able to sit down at my computer long enough to reply to this thoroughly enough. It's definitely a hurdle I've been sick almost non-stop for 2 weeks straight but I think it'll all be worth it in the end.

My husband and I always joke about wanting a boy especially since they're less drama as they age but since we've been pregnant he's been saying that he hopes it's a girl and I honestly don't care much either way. If it's a boy we are thinking of Arthur and if it's a girl it's going to be Naomi.
The biggest stress right now is all the random questions people keep asking me that I don't know an answer to or if they don't like the answer I have. My mom seems to think everyone and their cousin should be waiting in the hallway when I deliver. I honestly only want to invite her and my husband to the hospital, that way I can rest after delivery without a bunch of random people in the room. After a few hours of rest we can do an open house style invitation where people can swing by and see the baby. What do you think, am I being unreasonable?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 am

It sucks that your sickness is sticking around for so long (and pulling you away from us) :(, but that stuff happens during pregnancy, right? I hope you've at least been able to watch some anime while recovering. If you don't mind my asking, how far along are you?

I'm absolutely with you regarding the 'invitations' to the hospital. From all I've seen (mostly in fictional works) and heard about giving birth, it has to be exhausting beyond belief. I imagine if I were a woman and had to go through that, I would want my peace and quiet afterwards. It's not about them being allowed to see the baby right away or not, it's about giving you a break. Anyone who's even remotely familiar with what going through delivery means should understand that much.

By the way, I think Naomi is a nice name :). Arthur sounds kind of cool, but... I don't know... might be perceived as a bit old-fashioned? That's my impression, but as a non-native speaker, I'm not exactly in a position to make that judgment :P.