"Tales of" Games

Gamers paradise!
TrES-2b
I Like Anime

Re: "Tales of" Games

Postby TrES-2b » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:35 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
TrES-2b wrote:I think all the games have fun battle systems, except probably Legendia haaaaa ((it has other strengths tho)).
To be fair, I thought all of the 2D battle systems were pretty meh, but Eternia and Legendia at least cranked up the speed so it felt a bit more exciting.
But yeah, I'll probably remember Legendia mostly for its characters. Norma was a blast, and Grune was just... out of this world. And of course, the epic final coliseum battle: "Bread Rain Alpha!" "Tiger Bread!"

Wow, you really are totally different from me on battle systems xD I thought a lot of the 2D battle systems were really great and fast paced, especially Destiny DC, Destiny 2 and Rebirth were more intense than most of the 3D ones, at least to me.

Legendia I agree had a really great cast. The Character Quests were such a great addition to the game, too. Also, the epic soundtrack :'V but gao, those dungeons felt so long and draggy in that game xD It would benefit greatly from some kind of reboot moreso than a lot of the other older titles.

Savory Inventor
I Like Anime

Postby Savory Inventor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:07 pm

I've been reading up on the previous post you two (BlueSpark & TrES-2b) seem quite knowledgeable about the whole series. Interesting read so far.

Since i'd said i'd keep the thread posted here is my copy of Xilla, just arrived this morning. So 60 hours of my life is gonna be gone in the near future.

MojaveRena wrote:I've played Tales of Xillia on the PS3 about 3 times. A fast-paced combat with an interesting cast of characters and interactions during the game.

I hope i have as much enjoyment from this game as you did MojaveRena.

The real question is who should I play first, Jude or Milla?

Spoiler:
Just realized after looking at the cover for a bit that Jude and Millia have a camero in berseria

TrES-2b
I Like Anime

Postby TrES-2b » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Savory Inventor wrote:The real question is who should I play first, Jude or Milla?

Congrats on getting the game! I hope you enjoy it. I suggest going with Jude's side first since it has more material. Milla's will fill in gaps and works better as the second playthrough, imo.

Savory Inventor
I Like Anime

Postby Savory Inventor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 am

TrES-2b wrote:
Savory Inventor wrote:The real question is who should I play first, Jude or Milla?

I suggest going with Jude's side first since it has more material. Milla's will fill in gaps and works better as the second playthrough, imo.

Thanks for the advice... Began playing as Jude

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:00 am

Savory Inventor wrote:
Spoiler:
Just realized after looking at the cover for a bit that Jude and Millia have a camero in berseria
Hah, I imagine that must've been an interesting way to discover it :D. Naturally, it was the other way around for me.

Also, I second that playing as Jyde the 1st time around makes the most sense in my mind since he's the actual protagonist. Either way, this choice only has a minor impact overall (It changes a big part of the introductory chapter and then 1 additional quest later in the game, as far as I can remember).

TrES-2b wrote:Wow, you really are totally different from me on battle systems xD I thought a lot of the 2D battle systems were really great and fast paced, especially Destiny DC, Destiny 2 and Rebirth were more intense than most of the 3D ones, at least to me.
Yeah... Different strokes and all that :). To be clear, I've played neither of the 3 games you mentioned, so in theory, I may have really loved the combat in those. Who knows. It's just that I'm generally more in favor of 3D battlefields than moving from side to side on a 2D plane.

This whole discussion - and particularly your mentioning Hearts as a favorite of yours - has reminded me that I still haven't played Tales of Hearts. Unfortunately, the one promising fan translation patch has been put on hold since the PS Vita remake has been localized (and quite badly from what I've read). Guess I'll have to get my hands on a Vita emulator and try it for myself.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 pm

I’ve been meaning to get into the ‘takes of’ games since my girlfriend is really into them and really likes them. All I really have to say in the matter for now since I haven’t started yet and won’t be able to for awhile but it’s deifntly something I’m interested in since I love JRPGs
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

TrES-2b
I Like Anime

Postby TrES-2b » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:17 am

TrES-2b wrote:Wow, you really are totally different from me on battle systems xD I thought a lot of the 2D battle systems were really great and fast paced, especially Destiny DC, Destiny 2 and Rebirth were more intense than most of the 3D ones, at least to me.
Yeah... Different strokes and all that :). To be clear, I've played neither of the 3 games you mentioned, so in theory, I may have really loved the combat in those. Who knows. It's just that I'm generally more in favor of 3D battlefields than moving from side to side on a 2D plane.

This whole discussion - and particularly your mentioning Hearts as a favorite of yours - has reminded me that I still haven't played Tales of Hearts. Unfortunately, the one promising fan translation patch has been put on hold since the PS Vita remake has been localized (and quite badly from what I've read). Guess I'll have to get my hands on a Vita emulator and try it for myself.

Yeah, I get you. I don't think I have a preference between 2D or 3D fighting within the gaming world but I think Tales handled the 2D games pretty gao well. Several of my favorite regular game ((not EX)) Tales boss fights came from the 2D titles, including my favorite final boss.

I don't have a Vita ((and I don't condone emulators)) so I never played the Vita version of Hearts but I watched some of a playthrough on YouTube out of curiosity and the translation on it is so weird! xD From what I hear, it doesn't play as nicely as other 3D Tales battle systems but I forgot the reasons why, and most Hearts fans who have played both prefer the original DS version, which plays more like a handheld version of the Destiny PS2 game, so I was totally on board with that. I played it with a translation from years ago when someone I knew translated it and shared it through a private Tales community, but I'm not sure if it's still around anymore. It wasn't a patch; just text for the story dialogue and skits to have open while I play through the rest of it. Tales series general knowledge and somewhat functional Japanese reading skills got me through the menus, items/equipment and the more regular game stuff. One thing is for sure, though, my Japanese skills improved quite a lot during the time I was mainly playing Japanese unpatched games! During the lull of English-language released games between Vesperia and Graces was when I did most of my Japanese game playing and my Japanese improved so much during that time. It was also during a time in the fandom when everyone was doubtful more games would even be released outside of Japan since Namco always threatened to stop exporting the games if the sales were too low ((this series has a long history of being tentatively released overseas)), so back then part of wanting to play the Japanese games was thinking I'd have to in order to keep being involved with the series. I still remember the announcement of an English language version of Graces f surprising everyone back then. Times sure have changed :'V

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:32 am

TrES-2b wrote:I don't have a Vita ((and I don't condone emulators)) so I never played the Vita version of Hearts but I watched some of a playthrough on YouTube out of curiosity and the translation on it is so weird!
[...]
I played it with a translation from years ago when someone I knew translated it and shared it through a private Tales community, but I'm not sure if it's still around anymore. It wasn't a patch; just text for the story dialogue and skits to have open while I play through the rest of it.
I respect your stance on emulators, but I'm simply not willing to buy a Vita just for Tales of Hearts, or start playing the DS version with Japanese text.

The fan translation patch I mentioned is directly tied to the English script you used back then - it was made by the same people. After the script had been finished, they started working on a proper rom patch, but stopped once the international release of Hearts R was announced. At least that's what I gathered from googling for about half an hour yesterday. The bad translation in the remake will probably make me cringe, but I'll take it since it looks to be my best option :P.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

TrES-2b
I Like Anime

Postby TrES-2b » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:35 am

BlueSpark wrote:I respect your stance on emulators, but I'm simply not willing to buy a Vita just for Tales of Hearts, or start playing the DS version with Japanese text.

Ehhh then don't play the game then.

BlueSpark wrote:The fan translation patch I mentioned is directly tied to the English script you used back then - it was made by the same people. After the script had been finished, they started working on a proper rom patch, but stopped once the international release of Hearts R was announced. At least that's what I gathered from googling for about half an hour yesterday. The bad translation in the remake will probably make me cringe, but I'll take it since it looks to be my best option :P.

No, the translation I used was from someone who translated it as a personal project as part of a LiveJournal community I was in back then and wasn't affiliated with the patch team. Pretty sure I'd know where I got my translation better than you would, dude.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 am

Sorry for my late reply. ><

I played as Milla first and one key scene made no sense until I replayed as Jude. Taken from experience, I urge you to play as Jude first.

Either way I hope you like the event cutscenes in the game (called "skits"), see what you think when you play the game. :)