Graphics or story?

Gamers paradise!
PlatinaHeart
I Like Anime

Graphics or story?

Postby PlatinaHeart » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Hmmm, why not both, right? Our technology is already advanced enough that game graphics almost seem real. Just take a look at my screenshot in Black Desert Online.

But if you were only able to have only one and not both, what would it be and why?

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Graphics or story?

Postby Eira » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Well it depends on the genre, if it’s an RPG (my favourite genre) those things are driven by thier stories and while I do find them fun and enjoyable I understand that they can be repetitive and I feel like maybe I wouldn’t feel driven to play them as much as I do if story was missing, even if they did look stellar.

If it’s an action game like Monster Hunter, where story doesn’t matter then I want the graphics to have a higher fidelaity, becuase you can ditch the whole idea of a story at all, just let me fight monsters and make it look pretty. (Which was the case until the most recent instalment and the story wasn’t the best)

If the questions was instead gameplay or graphics then I’d have to go with gameplay. I want a game to play well and feel good to play. To keep me going and having the fun the whole time, if the story can supplement the experience like with RPGs then give it to me, but if the game can get by without a story then might as well make it look pretty.

But overall gameplay should take precedent over both of these for me.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:59 am

I'm leaning more towards story, but like Eira, the most important component for me is actually the gameplay.

I've never been a graphics guy. That's why I have no problem digging up old titles like Max Payne and replaying them these days - the characters' heads in that game look pretty much like ugly blocks :P.

The same is (mostly) true for anime, in fact: I've never found a series where poor visual quality has substantially detracted from the experience for me. It's almost like my brain automatically blocks out the aesthetic layer and focuses on what's underneath.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 am

BlueSpark wrote:I'm leaning more towards story, but like Eira, the most important component for me is actually the gameplay.

I've never been a graphics guy. That's why I have no problem digging up old titles like Max Payne and replaying them these days - the characters' heads in that game look pretty much like ugly blocks :P.

The same is (mostly) true for anime, in fact: I've never found a series where poor visual quality has substantially detracted from the experience for me. It's almost like my brain automatically blocks out the aesthetic layer and focuses on what's underneath.

I pretty much agree. With some very glaring excluding (Flowers of evil), I don't have much of a problem when it comes to visual and prefer to either have a good story for me to find intrigue, or in the case of comedies and slife of life, characters that on't bore or annoy me.

With games, I only care about the gameplay. I have never been able to get behind the issue of downgrading games visually when they port from one system to another, like with Skyrim going from PC to Switch. If the gameplay is good, I honestly don;t care how it looks. It can be 8 bit for all I care so long as I can enjoy myself. I don;t even need a story. Kingdom Hearts' story is so convoluted and spread through so many games it takes a 30 minute youtube video just to explain it but I still enjoy and buy them because their systems are easy to use and what little skits I get, I get fun characters to go along with them.

So if the question is between Graphics and Story, my answer is just gameplay. Those other two are nice extras but if I can't enjoy myself playing it, then I Don't care neither how it looks, not what the story is about.

PlatinaHeart
I Like Anime

Postby PlatinaHeart » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:00 am

SethAmaha wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
So if the question is between Graphics and Story, my answer is just gameplay. Those other two are nice extras but if I can't enjoy myself playing it, then I Don't care neither how it looks, not what the story is about.

I think we can all agree that gameplay is very much important when it comes to games, for me simple is best. If it becomes too complicated I drop it. I actually have difficulty chaining combos and the like (Tekken, gao you!) but I still liked the graphics and the story. Never played it much though.

I think it was Witcher that made you micromanage everything! including what poison to coat your blades with. I may be wrong, it was a fleeting post anyway.

The Front Mission series (especially 3) was quite complicated for me. But I really liked the story on that. If they could remake it with today's graphics but still keep the same old gameplay (tactical, and complicated) I would still play it.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 am

PlatinaHeart wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:

I think we can all agree that gameplay is very much important when it comes to games, for me simple is best. If it becomes too complicated I drop it. I actually have difficulty chaining combos and the like (Tekken, gao you!) but I still liked the graphics and the story. Never played it much though.

I think it was Witcher that made you micromanage everything! including what poison to coat your blades with. I may be wrong, it was a fleeting post anyway.

The Front Mission series (especially 3) was quite complicated for me. But I really liked the story on that. If they could remake it with today's graphics but still keep the same old gameplay (tactical, and complicated) I would still play it.

I'm always up for reboot of old games. I would love to replay the Toy Story game for the N64 in an unreal game engine graphics. I played the crud out of that game back in my youth and would love to see that come back with some new graphics.

PlatinaHeart
I Like Anime

Postby PlatinaHeart » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:06 am

SethAmaha wrote:
PlatinaHeart wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:

I'm always up for reboot of old games. I would love to replay the Toy Story game for the N64 in an unreal game engine graphics. I played the crud out of that game back in my youth and would love to see that come back with some new graphics.

Lol you reminded me of Small Soldiers. My little cousins used to play that whenever I visited. It was a nice game. I wasn't good though...

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:09 am

PlatinaHeart wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:
PlatinaHeart wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:

Lol you reminded me of Small Soldiers. My little cousins used to play that whenever I visited. It was a nice game. I wasn't good though...

lol I can only play RPGs since I suck so bad at first person shooters and racers.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 am

Gameplay and story is everything. Graphics are just the proverbial cherries on top of the cake.

A game will be able to be amazingly good with Shinji graphics if it as a great story, like 'to the moon'.

But no exemple of a game ever reach popularity by having amazing graphics but sucking hard.

In that regard, if you look at my steam library, you will find very fiew AAA titles but a lot of indies. Because to be good indies, since you cannot really aim for amazing graphics, you have to be great in concept.

Graphic is to game what packaging is to any kind of product. It is a selling point, but never a proof of quality.
Last edited by fragoff on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I think it depends on how You define graphics.
If by graphics You mean all the unnecessary "new technologies" meant to push progressively more expensive hardware off the shelves, then fair enough I don't care.
But if by graphics You mean: art direction, art design, color palette, creature design etc. then those are important because they are a part of the narrative. Bloodborne would never be so horrifying without its creature designs, Persona 5 would never be able to capture youth rebellion so well without its slightly exaggerated presentation and Gears of War would struggle to express how desperate is the situation without relying on predominantly gray colour palette.