Graphics or story?

Gamers paradise!
PlatinaHeart
I Like Anime

Re: Graphics or story?

Postby PlatinaHeart » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:I think it depends on how You define graphics.
If by graphics You mean all the unnecessary "new technologies" meant to push progressively more expensive hardware off the shelves, then fair enough I don't care.
But if by graphics You mean: art direction, art design, color palette, creature design etc. then those are important because they are a part of the narrative. Bloodborne would never be so horrifying without its creature designs, Persona 5 would never be able to capture youth rebellion so well without its slightly exaggerated presentation and Gears of War would struggle to express how desperate is the situation without relying on predominantly gray colour palette.

Ah thank you, that is what I meant. ::happy::

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:33 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:If by graphics You mean all the unnecessary "new technologies" meant to push progressively more expensive hardware off the shelves, then fair enough I don't care.
But if by graphics You mean: art direction, art design, color palette, creature design etc. then those are important because they are a part of the narrative.
That's a very good distinction to make. Persronally, I'd still say I'll take a good story over good art design. Although I have to admit that there are exceptions: For example, F.E.A.R. employs a whole plethora of visual tricks to make the experience as uncanny for the player as possible. That's a game I play purely for the atmosphere, so I'd say graphics > story in this case.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Kocurek1944 wrote:If by graphics You mean all the unnecessary "new technologies" meant to push progressively more expensive hardware off the shelves, then fair enough I don't care.
But if by graphics You mean: art direction, art design, color palette, creature design etc. then those are important because they are a part of the narrative.
That's a very good distinction to make. Persronally, I'd still say I'll take a good story over good art design. Although I have to admit that there are exceptions: For example, F.E.A.R. employs a whole plethora of visual tricks to make the experience as uncanny for the player as possible. That's a game I play purely for the atmosphere, so I'd say graphics > story in this case.

I'dd counter that exemple with darkest dungeon.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 am

fragoff wrote:I'dd counter that exemple with darkest dungeon.
So you're saying that the story makes the atmosphere in that game? I've only ever heard about it, not played it myself, unfortunately.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
fragoff wrote:I'dd counter that exemple with darkest dungeon.
So you're saying that the story makes the atmosphere in that game? I've only ever heard about it, not played it myself, unfortunately.

No. I say that with its bellow average graphics it has a powerfull athmosphere. Thus, altough graphics can be the medium of a game, it doesn't need to be top notch to work perfectly to vehiculate an ambiance.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:24 am

If there is a story, that certainly takes precedence. If there isn't a story or the story isn't important, then graphics take priority.

If I have to pick one, it would probably be graphics. I can still get my story from movies and shows and books and things.
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Anime Arcade
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1838

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 am

I mean, it depends on the game honestly. I don't really care all that much about graphics though. For me it's usually about story and gameplay over graphics. What does it matter if a game looks good but plays like neko.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 am

I guess I just figured that gameplay was a given lol.

An "all else being equal" kind of scenario. How the game plays is always #1.
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Anime Arcade
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1838

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:16 am

Companion Kyuubey wrote:How the game plays is always #1.
Except To the Moon exists ;). Although that title hardly qualifies as a game in the first place, in my opinion. Same as most visual novels.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:21 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Companion Kyuubey wrote:How the game plays is always #1.
Except To the Moon exists ;). Although that title hardly qualifies as a game in the first place, in my opinion. Same as most visual novels.

True. Shinji graphics, Shinji gameplays but game of the year.