What Are You Playing?

Gamers paradise!
Eira
Anime Junky

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Postby Eira » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 am

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is here! I got it as early as I possibly could, I literally walked into the store 10 mins after it had opened and got the game right away. Played it for 7 hours straight once I got home before taking a break to eat some dinner. And then after that dinner I came over to my computer and am making this post.

So yer, it's really fun. Fates had me worried about the future of the FE series and then Shadows of Valentia came out and it was really good, but it was also a remake so it couldn't really go and make itself be different from the old FE formula anyway.

But I'm glad to report that three houses is great! It feels like a natural progression of FE, yes some of the awakening and onward mechanics are gone but in the end I think it's all for the better. I do have some issues with the game but overall I'm really enjoying it and it's clear that my insane hype for it was not misplaced. Even now I can't wait to get back into it.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What Are You Playing?

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 am

My brother is also quite enamored with the new Fire Emblem. I'm not terribly interested, myself (and I don't own a current-gen console, anyway), but he's been telling me about it quite a bit.

For a good chunk of the last 2 months, I replayed Tales of Berseria. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I did so on easy mode. I just don't enjoy the battle system in that game, but I absolutely adore the story and characters, plus I wanted to meet my waifu again. Even with quicker battles on the easiest difficulty, the playthrough took me close to 100 hours - and I didn't even touch any post-game content.

After that, I played through the remake of Doom for the past week or so. Never played the original, but this was a pretty nice shooter. I would describe it as 'basic' overall, but the character progression system in the form of weapon and armor upgrades was quite neat. Towards the end of the game, I loved blasting foes by switching between my super shotgun and gauss rifle in close combat. I'm glad I got this on sale, though; if I'd paid a full 50 Euros for it, I'd probably have been disappointed. The playtime is simply too short to be worth that kind of money.

Now it's just 2 days until Borderlands 3 launches. I've been stupid hyped for this game since the official announcement in May. More hyped, in fact, than I remember being for any video game in I-don't-know-how-many years. Having to purchase it for the Epic launcher sucks, and no cross-play at launch sucks even more (because 3 of my friends are getting the game on consoles), but I already know I'm going to have a blast regardless. I'm more of a solo player, anyway. So hyped.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 am

My birthday and with it I got some new games and then I also got money which I used to buy more games. I’ve been meaning to get the final fantasy games that came to switch and with my birthday coming up and only so many games having physical versions out there going for the final fantasies was a pretty good choice.

And so I got Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, and Final Fanasty VII which I bought on the eshop on my own, but the first two were gifts. I also used some the money I got to go and pre-order Dragon Quest XI also for the switch. Can you tell what my favourite genre of game is? Either way, as if having fire emblem still on my plate I felt like I needed to add 3 more hundred hour JRPGs to my list. But it’s been real fun, XII has always been my favourite so I’m giving it more attention at the moment but of course they’re all great FFs, some of the best these 3.

Also there was a direct on my birthday and the new Kirby Clash game came out, so I’ve been playing that too, also very fun, even if I have found the most broken start possible and been sweeping cause of it.

I also on my own went and got Soul Calibur VI off steam since it was on sale, been really fun so far, still getting the hang of it but overall really enjoying it for now, although the online scene for it seems kinda dead, like more dead then I was expecting. Maybe one day I’ll actually go to a locals in my area, since I know there are some. I also got the most recent dlc for BBTAG cause I wanted ‘Heart’. So I haven’t got back into it yet but I will soon enough to play around with ‘Heart’ for awhile.
Last edited by Eira on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Just like every other post i make here, still fighting games, tekken 7, under night, guilty gear, bbtag, and skullgirls mostly

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 pm

I... I bought another RPG. Cause Dragon Quest XI is finally on switch, I could of got it on PC when it came out but I wanted to wait for the switch version, having to wait all this extra time has been pain cause I’m a huge DQ fan, DQ is the Desu~ best JRPG series ever, fight me!

Either way this is going to begin consuming my time despite the FF I just got. I’m getting real close to getting my first route of FE:TH done tho, so I’ll probs put time aside for that to at least get the first route done sometime soon. Even though tearing myself away from DQ is pretty hard right now.

Also I’ve been sick for like ages, multiple posts have mentioned this so yer I’ve just been doing nothing but watching anime and playing games cause I’m house ridden. Which also means anyone who isn’t my direct family (and even then I haven’t seen my dad) hasn’t seen me since before my birthday, which is real awkward since it’s almost been a month since then. I also haven’t seen my dad since (australia based) Father’s Day. Which was close to my birthday (some years they’re the same day) so uh.... yer. Being house ridden sucks.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:56 am

So, as I announced exactly one month ago, I was hyped as heck for Borderlands 3. And for the past 4 weeks, I've pretty much played nothing else. It speaks to the sheer length of the game that, in this time frame, I've only:
1. completed the full campaign including all side quests once with Amara, exploring almost every nook and cranny of every map,
2. farmed a specific boss for a good 8 hours during an event featuring increased legendary drop rates, and
3. played through about 2/3 of the campaign with Zane.

The game unfortunately launched with varying degrees of performance issues on PC as well as consoles. I seem to have good luck as my game ran at least decently well most of the time, and one small performance patch resolved the most egregious issues for me. There are also still a lot of bugs in the game, but the devs seem pretty intent to squash those soon.

Overall, I've been having a blast. Definitely the best Borderlands game for me, and practically game-of-the-year material. The difficulty level, which I was very worried about before launch, feels just about perfect to me - and that is when playing on standard difficulty (there's also an "easier" difficulty setting which I haven't had to use yet, but might if the endgame content becomes too rough for me to beat solo).

So, chances are I'll sink dozens more, if not hundreds of hours into this game in the long run, considering I've still to play through the campaign with 2 more characters, then beat True Vault Hunter Mode with each, and then there's DLC coming, too.

Oh, and not to forget, I've started playing the Secret of Mana remake (not Trials of Mana) with 2 friends. Both of them have never tried the old SNES version while I have, so it's interesting to hear their thoughts on the game. And being able to provide tips which the game never explains to the player, such as how to use charge attacks or navigate the ring menu. The retro feelings are strong...

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Ok ok ok, normally i just Shinji about how I'm still just playing fighting games but i just picked up indivisible and it's amazing so far

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:i just picked up indivisible and it's amazing so far

Glad to hear it, I’m considering getting it once it comes to switch, which is still meant to be happening this year.

In other news I began playing Digimon Story: Cyber Slueth Complete Edition which is two games in one so that’s anouther 2 JRPGs, something something, playing way too many JRPGs at once, something something. So yer, honestly I don’t think anyone is surprised that my post is about me statrting another JRPG without having finished any of the others. You can assume my next post will be the same.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:30 am

While taking a break from Borderlands 3, I played through the indie game Layers of Fear, a highly acclaimed horror title. Not going to lie, the experience was pretty eerie. It's a glorified walking simulator, but the atmosphere and the piecemeal story revelations worked excellently. It's the brand of terror, as opposed to monster-jumpscare horror, that I find highly fascinating. Some of the puzzles were a bit obtuse, but most of them didn't pose much of a problem. I liked that there's no real way to die in Layers of Fear - this encourages the player to actually look for all the scary moments instead of avoiding them in fear of a game over.

I've also started playing a bit of Magic the Gathering Arena after an old friend recommended it to me. I have a soft spot for trading card games, but really no one (at least not anymore) to play with. Plus the physical versions will clear out your wallet very quickly, so this is a nice breath of fresh air. The progression system seems to steer players to pay real money, though, so it's not like I'll be able to compete at a high level without throwing cash at the game. But I'm fine with staying casual and having some more hours of fun with it.

However, a big patch for Borderlands 3 (including new content) dropped yesterday, so I'll probably be spending some more time in that game next.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am

Started playing Pokemon Shield on the day it came out, just forgot to post about it till now. I know there's all the controversy around the game and I was one of the people on the hate wagon but once I actually played it I really enjoyed it.

The dex being cut does suck but tbh overall the game is really fun and with new games I tend to focus on the new pokemon anyway, in my opinion it's better then Sun/Moon and probs even better than XY too. A lot of people hate it for dumb reasons imo and the people I see giving it the most hate are all people who haven't played it and also people who don't believe in death of the author and just complain about gamefreak.