What Are You Playing?

Gamers paradise!
fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: What Are You Playing?

Postby fragoff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 am

You didn't cry???!!!! Heartless monster!!! ;)

Go up a couple of post to see what i said about finding paradise. It will not be the same emotional rolercoaster than to the moon...even if you have no feelings and is cold blooded feelingless machine that stoicaly played it without any humidity hiting your eyes!!!

P.s: it is not a very 'replayable' game. At least feelingwise. But yes, references are applenty.

Spoiler:
this game had 2 very strongs momments for me:
-when they are kids and rivers ask what happens if they can't meet and jonny anwsers 'then we will regroup on the moon, silly!'. I think i dropped dead at that momment. It is such a strong scene by the fact it connects everything!

-and of course the last momment, like you said, with them holding hands and seeing the moon just before jonny dies. It gives a powerfull finish to what you did during the whole game.

Overall, it is so sad that those 2 people who loved each other so much could only really connect once, when they were kids. Jonny forgeting his first meeting with river, not understanding what his wife wants and river trying to make him remember and both doing so very poorly.

I could talk about this game for hours. I'll leave it at that.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:09 am

fragoff wrote:You didn't cry???!!!! Heartless monster!!! ;)
I'll have you know that I shed plenty of manly tears while watching anime, thank you very much :P. I really do think To the Moon was a touching tale from start to finish. It just didn't have many particularly heavy-hitting scenes for me.

fragoff wrote:
Spoiler:
-when they are kids and rivers ask what happens if they can't meet and jonny anwsers 'then we will regroup on the moon, silly!'. I think i dropped dead at that momment. It is such a strong scene by the fact it connects everything!
Spoiler:
That was definitely one of the high-impact moments. Another one in the same scene was his description of the rabbbit constellation. He was able to answer River's repeated "What else?" in such detail; it was heartbreaking to realize that due to his lost/repressed memory, he could never answer her question the same way again when they were older, no matter how many rabbits she made for him ;(. And her wordless disappointment, not understanding why it was that he didn't seem to remember...
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:32 pm

For some extra fun on youtube, you can go look at people crying over the game. It is fun, when not an heartless coldblooded monster like you, to watch people fight the tears at the same places as you! ;)
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 am

fragoff wrote:For some extra fun on youtube, you can go look at people crying over the game. It is fun, when not an heartless coldblooded monster like you, to watch people fight the tears at the same places as you! ;)
Hah, already did that yesterday by following your link on the Finding Paradise post ;). However, I'll also have you know that I don't fight my tears - I know it'd be futile :P. I find that just letting it out provides the best experience of an emotional story. Unless my vision becomes too blurry to see, then it becomes a bit of a pain ^,^.

I both love and hate how this game makes you brood over certain plot points, trying to sort out every piece of the puzzle. For instance, when I tried to fall asleep last night, I thought some more about...
Spoiler:
... the significance of the origami rabbits River kept making. The trigger, as the game tells you, seems to have been John's revelation to her as to why he chose her in the first place - her being "strange" and "different". So while in my interpretation, she kept prodding him to come up with the same beautiful description of the rabbits as in their first childhood meeting (the rabbit star constellation), perhaps there was also a second layer to her line of thinking: Could John see the beauty in their 'likeness,' just like she saw the beauty in the ordinary nature of his name or in all the same-looking stars in the sky? It appears that he couldn't. And even when she made that one special, colored rabbit for him, he hardly had any different words to describe it. To him, it was just another paper rabbit. The way I see it, this must've made things even sadder for her ;(.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
... the significance of the origami rabbits River kept making. The trigger, as the game tells you, seems to have been John's revelation to her as to why he chose her in the first place - her being "strange" and "different". So while in my interpretation, she kept prodding him to come up with the same beautiful description of the rabbits as in their first childhood meeting (the rabbit star constellation), perhaps there was also a second layer to her line of thinking: Could John see the beauty in their 'likeness,' just like she saw the beauty in the ordinary nature of his name or in all the same-looking stars in the sky? It appears that he couldn't. And even when she made that one special, colored rabbit for him, he hardly had any different words to describe it. To him, it was just another paper rabbit. The way I see it, this must've made things even sadder for her ;(.

Spoiler:
It's really sad because both their conditions make so they can never reconnect like they did that night. I think River is more mad at herself than anything else. She probably thinks her inability to make johny remember is her fault due to her authism.
And johny loves her for reasons he will never get. His curiousity and interest toward her is definitly due to that stary night. Thus, he sees River's obsession with the origami rabbit or the platipuss doll as a funny behavior due to River's authism and doesn't get that it is the only way River knows how to communicate this event to him .

This story is so beautifull yet so sad. I understand your love/hate relation to it. I did 'warned' you it was a bitter sweet experience

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:38 am

fragoff wrote:
Spoiler:
I think River is more mad at herself than anything else. She probably thinks her inability to make johny remember is her fault due to her authism.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input.

fragoff wrote:This story is so beautifull yet so sad. I understand your love/hate relation to it.
That's not really it. I mean, yeah, I definitely prefer happy endings over bittersweet ones. But this one was beautiful any way I look at it.

The "love/hate" part was purely referring to the questions which open up to the player's interpretation after finishing the game. I like (mostly) complete resolutions better than those which leave a lot of things unspecified; the latter always leave me feeling a bit unsatisfied. That's obviously not the game's fault, but mine.

As for an on-topic comment: I've picked up Fallout 4 again. I quit the game some time last year due to frustration with save system glitches, but I figured I'd give it another go and hopefully finish my playthrough. Had one instance again already where I lost half an hour of progress due to the game not saving, but it doesn't happen too often. I'll see if I can pull through.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 am

I'm replaying one of my favourite games, Fallout New Vegas, and I still can't believe how fun this game can be when the game is not freezing or glitching my companions through the floor. XD

Bluespark wrote:Had one instance again already where I lost half an hour of progress due to the game not saving, but it doesn't happen too often.

Oh yes, a very similar thing has happened to me on Fallout NV too many times to count!
The problem with my game is the frame-rate drops if you have the auto-save option turned on, so when you go to an area with lots of people, the game stutters and dies. You can turn the auto-save off but... if you die, you have to start from when you last saved the game yourself... which could have been hours ago.
My God the glitches in this game are half of the fun of playing this awesome game. ::yess::

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:40 am

MojaveRena wrote:Oh yes, a very similar thing has happened to me on Fallout NV too many times to count!
The problem with my game is the frame-rate drops if you have the auto-save option turned on, so when you go to an area with lots of people, the game stutters and dies. You can turn the auto-save off but... if you die, you have to start from when you last saved the game yourself... which could have been hours ago.
While I can see that being a problem in New Vegas, you can mostly circumvent the problem by conditioning yourself to save often (quicksave has always been a neat little feature in video games :>). I'm playing Fallout 4 with Survival Mode turned on, which means I only get permanent saves upon sleeping. If I need to cut a play session short, I have to rely on the temporary "exitsave" that's created upon leaving the game. And, well, if the game for some glitchy reason simply doesn't create an exitsave, I'm out of luck (and usually pretty ticked off).

MojaveRena wrote:My God the glitches in this game are half of the fun of playing this awesome game. ::yess::
I've read many people say the same thing :D. I don't quite subscribe to that notion, myself; too often do the glitches prevent me from properly completing objectives or cause me to die / take a huge amount of damage through no fault of my own. But I'll concede that they lead to some pretty hilarious situations (Ever seen a dog run into a wrecked car only for said car to be catapulted 50 feet into the air?).

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:25 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
While I can see that being a problem in New Vegas, you can mostly circumvent the problem by conditioning yourself to save often (quicksave has always been a neat little feature in video games :>). I'm playing Fallout 4 with Survival Mode turned on, which means I only get permanent saves upon sleeping. If I need to cut a play session short, I have to rely on the temporary "exitsave" that's created upon leaving the game. And, well, if the game for some glitchy reason simply doesn't create an exitsave, I'm out of luck (and usually pretty ticked off).

I've read many people say the same thing :D. I don't quite subscribe to that notion, myself; too often do the glitches prevent me from properly completing objectives or cause me to die / take a huge amount of damage through no fault of my own. But I'll concede that they lead to some pretty hilarious situations (Ever seen a dog run into a wrecked car only for said car to be catapulted 50 feet into the air?).

That's true, but my game lags when it's quicksaving so I'm stuck either way. XD If you go to a busy area like the New Vegas Strip, the game becomes unplayble unless you restart the game.

More often you find glitches that can ruin your game and frustrate you, like once when my companion fell through the ground as I was talking to him, and causing him to die just like that. The weird part was he didn't reappear when I reloaded the game, I had re-install the game in the end.
Most of my glitches involve companions in some way, sometimes they just stand there during a fight not doing anything to help, and other times they shoot everyone in sight while you are sneaking (when you don't want them to shoot anyone)...

Oh gao, that sounds awesome! I like the funny glitches in games like that one, Skyrim had some funny glitches if you have played that game. :)

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:45 am

I did play Skyrim some years ago. Don't actually remember many major bugs (although I do believe some large objects/corpses were sent hurtling through the air by the quirky game engine, too). However, I didn't experience much of the 'end game' - for the 1st half, I completed all the sidequests I could get my hands on, but after roughly the halfway mark, I just barreled through because I wanted to finish the game. Fantasy settings were never quite my cup of tea; I much prefer modern or slighly sci-fi settings. Plus I enjoy gunfights more than swordfights. Therefore, Fallout works much better for me.