What Are You Playing?

Gamers paradise!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What Are You Playing?

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:52 am

For the past week and a half, I've been diving into Subnautica (pun counter +1). I'd heard about how successful and positively received this game is, and gao, I can see why. The atmosphere of isolation it creates is masterful. The sense of progression in constructing more and more advanced gear, tools, and vehicles is sublime. And when the sky goes dark at night and all the different fish and plants start to glow, it looks freaking gorgeous!

The only downside for me is that sometimes, I feel a bit lost on what to do next, as there's a huge focus on exploration, with only occasional radio messages directing you to specific locations. I always prefer to have very clear, defined goals in my video games. But that's a drawback I can easily overlook, because the overall feel of the game is simply amazing. I'm just about to build my first bigger submarine - please call me fleet captain BlueSpark from here on out.

Edit: Considering my post count just now, it might be more appropriate to call me leet captain (heh).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 am

BlueSpark wrote:The only downside for me is that sometimes, I feel a bit lost on what to do next,

Not a flaw. it oppresses you with the feeling of being lost. hope you enjoy the undergound river when you find it.

P.S: this game is so goood, i played it from start to finish at least 4 times!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:53 am

Been playing osu! for about a week now. I've had an account for years but in the past I only played a little bit at a time, restricted by a poor mouse and playing on something like a laptop. I had forgotten all about it since getting my PC and so I hadn't got back into it. but as soon as I did my rank jumped up and i beat all my current PBs, so I know I was held back before.

I've been playing almost daily since then. I've always loved rhythem games and I've been getting better at a pace I'm really happy with and so I've been enjoying the game a lot. Time just goes by when I play, I really have no issue sitting there playing the same song over and over trying to get a better score, which is something you need to be okay with to get the most out of this kind of game.

At my moment for the world I'm in the top 600,000 players and top 12,000 within Australia.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:00 am

fragoff wrote:Not a flaw.
That's why I worded it carefully - it's simply not quite suited to my taste in gaming. But you've got a point, the feeling of being left stranded (heh) definitely matches the overall concept of the game.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am

I finished Subnautica this weekend, and man, it really is an amazing game. Towards the very end, I caved and had to google for some solutions because there were at least 2 confusing goals I had to reach (scanning enough Prawn segments and gathering a mushroom sample). But overall, I'd say the non-linear storytelling and non-handholding approach worked out surprisingly well. And the finale left me feeling very satisfied.
Now I'm looking forward to the sequel/spin-off Below Zero. But since that's still in early access, I'll wait a bit before jumping into it.

Instead, I bought another new-ish title: Metro: Exodus. I'm a huge S.T.A.L.K.E.R. nerd, and I somewhat enjoyed the first Metro game. However, I find Exodus much more interesting than 2033 as it plays mostly on the surface instead of down in the tunnels. The minimalist approach to the HUD takes some getting used to, and there are some issues regarding what terrain I can and can't cross (specifically the water), but overall, the sense of exploration and acquisition of materials and new gear feels quite rewarding. Definitely pumped to continue playing it.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm

BlueSpark wrote: I caved and had to google for some solutions because there were at least 2 confusing goals I had to reach (scanning enough Prawn segments and gathering a mushroom sample).

Not sure i follow you on this one. You mean you didn't registered the fact you needed a prawn to continue the game? Like were you trying to go to the underground lava lake by swimming???? Lol
As for the mushroom, are you talking about the antidote?

Also, did you enjoy the underground river??? Super atmospheric, wasn't it?

P.s: below zero is on 'extremly' early access. As far as my memory goes, you have even less stuff to do in it than when they put up the original game!!! It sucks to wait :(
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 am

fragoff wrote:Not sure i follow you on this one. You mean you didn't registered the fact you needed a prawn to continue the game? Like were you trying to go to the underground lava lake by swimming????
I played about 98% of the game without the Prawn suit. My progress in unlocking the blueprint was stalled at 3/20 because I didn't realize
Spoiler:
you just need to scan 4 derelict suits in the Aurora's Prawn bay. From what I've read online, many people have run into this issue: The game tricks you by displaying X/20, but that's 20 small fragments, which I'm not sure that many even exist in the game world. The fact that you can scan 4 big fragments and have the blueprint completed remains hidden until you actually do it.
In the end, the only reason I actually needed to construct one was because I was short 2 ion cubes for one of the final recipes, so I needed the Prawn's drill arm.
As for the lava lake,
Spoiler:
I maneuvered my Cyclops all the way down there and then swam the small distance to the facility.
fragoff wrote:As for the mushroom, are you talking about the antidote?
Yup. The mushrooms in questions are one of the few plants in the game you cannot actually scan. So when I read that I needed a "mushroom sample," I was wracking my brains on where I could get one; I checked the 4 types of mushrooms that actually had an entry in my database, but ended up having to google for the solution.

fragoff wrote:Also, did you enjoy the underground river??? Super atmospheric, wasn't it?
By that, do you mean the one
Spoiler:
made up of some kind of green liquid, leading up to the lava cave?
Yeah, the first time I went down there, it was quite the spectacle. Although personally, I think exploring
Spoiler:
the wreckage directly at the front or back end of the aurora, with a Leviathan circling over your head, made for a much more gripping experience :D.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:27 am

BlueSpark wrote:bleh!

Spoiler:
i never realized that, for the prawn. I guess i discovered pretty early that you could scan them in the aurora. I have much more trouble finding the docking bay(moon pool) for the base everytime i play.

I am actually super surprised that the mushroom was your missing ingredient. Usually, people have a hard time finding the 'princess' crown' i believe it is called. The one plant you can only find near a steam vent in one specific place in the mushroom plain east of the aurora.

I can't believe the 2 king levithans didn't destroy your cyclop on your way down to the lava lake. That is why i always go there with the prawn.

The green thing is indeed the river. You probably missed the 2 exists guarded by ghost leviathans. Otherwise the aurora's one wouldn't have been such a terrifying experience ;)

I am happy you enjoyed the game. It is one that i always recommand to people. The game creator managed to get the athmosphere right. And for this type of game, it makes for a world of difference.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 am

fragoff wrote:I have much more trouble finding the docking bay(moon pool) for the base everytime i play.
For me, it was the gao modification station. I had blueprints for an improved oxygen tank, fins, and the propulsion cannon (or whatever it's called in English) before I finally found the final part for the very machine necessary to actually fabricate them.

Spoiler:
fragoff wrote:Usually, people have a hard time finding the 'princess' crown' i believe it is called. The one plant you can only find near a steam vent in one specific place in the mushroom plain east of the aurora.
Then you're either misinformed or the devs changed things in a later patch. I actually found several of those plants inside the very basin the Sea Emperor was held, so it was the first ingredient I got a hold of.
Spoiler:
fragoff wrote:I can't believe the 2 king levithans didn't destroy your cyclop on your way down to the lava lake.
Let's just say that after a failed attempt or two, I learned to use decoys and maximum speed to my advantage ;).
The bigger problem was that I tried entering the cave from the "life pod 2" side the first time - which was a bad idea because the tree-like structures in there make maneuvering the place with a Cyclops a nightmare.
Spoiler:
fragoff wrote:You probably missed the 2 exists guarded by ghost leviathans. Otherwise the aurora's one wouldn't have been such a terrifying experience ;)
I didn't miss them, but one of the ones near the aurora marked my first encounter with a leviathan, which is probably why it stuck in my mind as goddamn terrifying. Any other leviathans after that one just didn't leave the same impact.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 am

BlueSpark wrote:re bleh

I just looked it up. And yes, they did change the recipe for enzime 42. My bad.

For the leviathan, i must admit that first impression is always the strongest.