Visual Novels

Gamers paradise!
Logan
Super NEET IV

Visual Novels

Postby Logan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 am

I was checking out the Gaming section of the Forum and didn't see a topic for this so I thought I would start one off! Here's the definition of a Visual Novel:

An interactive fiction game, featuring mostly static graphics, most often using anime-style art or occasionally live-action stills (and sometimes video footage). As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels.

I just recently got into Visual Novels after watching a few shows and reading that they were VN adaptations. I've only played a few so far, but they have been great experiences!

The first VN I played was a game called Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip To Japan~.

I got it in a Humble Bundle, kind of as an after thought, but I believe that it is available for like $10 on Steam. I finally sat down and played it and was surprised by how fun it was to actually slouch in your chair, read text on a screen, look at pretty pictures and occasionally make a choice.

The story was a lot of fun as well. You play as an american guy who is taking his first trip to Japan and will be staying at the house of two japanese guys he met over the internet. Low and behold, the two guys turn out to be two Beautiful girls! Over the course of the game you get to visit various tourist attractions throughout Tokyo and I feel like I learned a lot about Japanese history and culture through the game. Whether or not what I learned in the game is valid in any way, I have no idea. I'd like to think it's all correct information, though. I won't ruin the story for you, but there are two possible routes for you to take as you play the game and I enjoyed both of them, as both girls are quite different and you get to see different places.

The art was good and the interface was easy to use which was nice.

Overall I like this game and give it an 8/10 :D

The second VN that I played was a game called Homeward. It was free and a lot of fun.

The story was surprisingly well written for each of the possible story lines. The premise of the game is that you are a japanese guy who has spent his entire life moving from city to city all over the world every few years, due to his father's job as a diplomat. You finally move back to your hometown because your divorced mother has become gravely ill and you have to take care of your younger sister Sora. The first day back you run into your childhood friend Nonami and during your first day of school you meet Haruka, who is Nonami's best friend. It's a great story about dealing with loneliness and the fear of forming relationships you know will inevitably end because of your past.

The art was fine, nothing spectacular, but for a free game it fit well.

I was surprised to find out that each of the endings ended up being NSFW, which doesn't bother me, but that's what I get for not reading the description when I downloaded it. There is a version, I believe that takes out any nudity, but it also removes two of the possible routes that you can take with the story.

Overall I thought it was a great game and definitely worth checking out. I mean it's free right! It gets an 8/10 :D

The third and most recent VN that I have completed was a game called Katawa Shoujo.

This is, by leaps and bounds, the best VN I've played yet and its up there in the list of my all-time favorite games.

When I first heard the premise of this story, it kind of made me cringe a little. You have a heart condition that makes you attend a school that caters the the handicapped and disabled. All 5 of the girls that you can pursue have some sort of handicap or disability. Oh and it's made by the 4Chan community? No way that this game won't offend people. WRONG! Every second of the game I played was nothing but beautiful. They handled everything with tact and and made the story into something truly spectacular. Saying anything else would probably lead to spoilers, so I'll stop here and say, "Go play it!!". Oh, and did I mention that it is free as well!?

This game contains NSFW content as well but you do have the option of turning it off in the menu. I'm unsure as to what that does to the game play as i played it with the Adult stuff on.

The art was fantastically done and another really clean and easy to use interface. The music was also really good.

Overall I thought it was an outstanding game and totally worth your time. I give it a 10/10. :o

I would love to hear if you guys have played an Visual Novels that you would recommend! And if you want download links to the above mentioned games let me know and I will find them for you!

Lozarch
I Like Anime

Re: Visual Novels

Postby Lozarch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:52 am

I have played a few VNs in my time. By far my favorite so far was To the Moon(10/10) although it was not a very traditional VN and I dont think it was Japanese. I reccomend playing through To the Moon with a girl if you have one, she will appreciate it. My next favorite was Moe Cure Net on Android(meh/10). It was allright, nothing great. My wife didn't really get it, but I enjoyed it somewhat.

http://vndb.org is an excelent VN resource. They have thousands of VNs in their database and they are all well tagged so if you want to find a VN with a female protaganist and low sexual content, you can find a beautiful list of them and sort by average score.

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:07 am

I have only played one VN (so far) and it was Katawa Shoujo and man is it a great game. I have only gone down 1 of the five routes so far though. I feel in love with Emi so much that I can't bring myself to play the game again and go for another girl. I have my blade runner and I'm so happy with that :)

I downloaded Fate Stay Night the other day and was planning to play through it at some point but right now I feel like there is so much else to play that it will have to wait.

Lozarch
I Like Anime

Postby Lozarch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am

Me and my wife got about halfway through Katawa Shoujo. Got distracted by other stuff. Seems good so far, but I heard things get weird later.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Emi's route was probably my favorite route! I loved Hanako and Lilly's as well but I got Emi first as well and fell in love with her :)

@lozarch
There are a few weird characters in the game for sure but I didn't find anything weird really later in the game. Maybe there's something I missed while playing, who knows! :)

Lozarch
I Like Anime

Postby Lozarch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Well, I will try to recruit the wife into finishing it with me, but I can't be too eager when it comes to things like this.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:48 pm

The Fruit of Grisaia VN seems to be coming out way and you can back it if you so choose!

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/lets ... west/2814/

Lenzark
Anime Junky

Postby Lenzark » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Are VNS xonsidweed a game? It's like reqding books imo

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:17 pm

I would consider them a genre of games. It's true that it is like reading a book, but you don't get to choose how books end, as far as I know. :) It's an RPG in its simplest form because you take on the role of the main character and decide how the story progresses.

Ahnima
I Love Anime

Postby Ahnima » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 pm

loganlsr wrote:I would consider them a genre of games. It's true that it is like reading a book, but you don't get to choose how books end, as far as I know. :) It's an RPG in its simplest form because you take on the role of the main character and decide how the story progresses.

Layman's Terms: Choose your own adventure book-game.
Curious about what I watch? Check out my MAL!
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Ahnima