Hatsune Miku!

Gamers paradise!
Andrew
Site Admin

Hatsune Miku!

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 am

It's no secret that me and my brother are HUGE Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F fans. Of course, we're also Vocaloid fans in general, but after we dove into the original DIVA, we were hooked and played it for hundreds of hours on end.

Well this is a thread devoted to that! With the recent announcement of Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F 2nd's release date in the west on November 18, we're going to probably be working on streaming some Hatsune Miku fun in celebration of it.

So if you're a Hatsune Miku fan, or want to know more about it, reply and chime in!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Kyttynz
I Love Anime

Re: Hatsune Miku!

Postby Kyttynz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Ehh? Zero replies?

How? I don't even nyanderstand :D

Diva-F was my first foray into Diva/Dreamy, but it to-otally floored me. I'd been a rhythm gamer since Dance Dance Revolution and Beatmania, a-and a Vocaloid fan for some time, so I was exi-ited when they finally released a Diva for a system I owned; PS3.

This game is exquisite! The PVs are pheno-omenal, and entirely worth watching on their own. The music selection is outsta-anding; I'd been a diehard Luka lover since forever, but the songs and videos have really opened my eyes to the entire Crypton cast. (<3 Tengaku <3)
The gameplay itself is fi-illed with subtle treats for the player. Beyond the rhythmic patterns with the notes are visual pa-atterns with the placements and targets that coincide with events in the PVs. All these draw you in fu-urther and make you feel like you're interacting with the music and video on se-everal levels, (no-ot to mention the Chancu Timu mechanic that can alter the video itself, sometimes drastically) the same way that iiDX's flashing lights, exploding notes, and engaging videos took it beyond Beatmania.

When you finally unlock the songs on Extreme you're subjected to a mind-numbing barra-age of notes that, after the initial confusion wears off, somehow makes purrfect sense.

And the mo-odules! Oh, the modules! Customizing your favorite Vocaloids with all kinds of beautiful and downright wa-acky outfits to suit each song (or... not suit it at all. Two Kaito's singing World's End Dancehall? Can do!)

I'll admit; I didn't get too into the Tamagotchi/house mode much. The game has almost too much to offer and it's SO PRETTY and I ca-an't stop playing Senbonzakura :3

I'll also be streaming some PDF in ce-elebration of the NA release of PDF-2
It'll be fu-unyaa!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Kyttynz wrote:Ehh? Zero replies?

How? I don't even nyanderstand :D

I know right?! I disappointed in everyone :X

As an update, finally got an HDMI splitter so once I get some spare time, I'll be trying some capture/streaming!

Glad to finally have another Project Diva fan around! :D You really should get into that Diva Room segment, gotta get those Platinums! Of course.. I'm not a big achievement fan, I just really felt like I wanted to get it. So platinum both PS3 and Vita versions of PDF. Can't wait to do the same for 2nd. Got both PS3/Vita pre-ordered and will probably get digital version of Vita as well!

Lolita
Forum Loli

Postby Lolita » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:29 pm

OMG. I would love to see a steam of gameplay for that xd!!

Kyttynz
I Love Anime

Postby Kyttynz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Lolita wrote:OMG. I would love to see a steam of gameplay for that xd!!

You will! I'm su-uper busy with a lot of things, but I'll throw up PDF/PDF2 one of these nights mhmm!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:35 am

ha ha. are you sure you want to hear me doing horridly while andrew makes fun of me. ;..(

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:19 pm

I seriously don't understand the hype around Hatsune Miku or other vocaloids. I like to think that I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music, but I just don't see the charm in vocaloids. Am I missing something?
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:56 pm

We didn't care for it either. I would guess it's an acquired taste. Also be aware there is alot of crap out there. Because anyone that has the software can try to make vocaloid music.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Tori wrote:I seriously don't understand the hype around Hatsune Miku or other vocaloids. I like to think that I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music, but I just don't see the charm in vocaloids. Am I missing something?

Don't fret it too much. Vocaloid is like any other genre of music. I dislike rap and country, but my friend swears by it. Most people take what they were raised around, while others find what clicks with them.

I can honestly say that I didn't like Miku at all some 4-5 years ago. Me and Chris were a part of the Kawaii-Radio community where a DJ named Revolution Boi hosted DJ segments regularly. And he was a die hard Miku fan that often used Hatsune Miku tracks in his mixes. I didn't like it, often shut it off when she came on. I think the biggest hurdle in it is the voice transitions which most composers lack the skill of hiding. However, every now and then you'll find one that does it so well.

After listening to Hatsune Miku for some time from Kawaii-Radio, I finally got used to the transitions and started really liking it. It's unique and (call me silly if you like) it's fascinating. She's the first vocalist that is what she's made. She isn't Britney Spears going from lollipops to lingerie, she isn't Garth Brooks acting like a cowboy, she isn't Eminem acting like a gangster. She's whatever you make her. Never fitting a trope, but never being nothing.

I can't claim that she's not jarring at first, nor can I claim everyone can like her. But I love her, and mixing her with an insanely addictive game is golden!

Kyttynz
I Love Anime

Postby Kyttynz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Wow, I was abo-out to express disagreement with the Chris, but Andrew pre-etty much laid out most of what I wanted to say meao...

Vocaloid isn't even necessarily a genre; it spans too many styles and tastes. I'm a Vocaloid fan, but there are plenty of Vocaloid songs I don't like mhmm!

What I lo-ove, though, is the culture. I feel like regular music is very much top-down; you're bombarded with it, it's fed to you like "We're going to pla-ay Katy Perry until you like it". Vocaloid, Utau, and Singthesizer culture in ge-eneral is the opposite mhmm! It's made, spread, and regulated by the fans!

Which is why when Chris said "there's a lot of crap out there"... Well... Tha-a'ts what's great about it. Even my crap is out there and I love it :D
Want to write your own song hmm? You canyaa~
Want to make your own mu-usic video hmm? MMD was made for you!
There are a-also myriad other ways you can partake; the culture is open and welcoming and exci-ited for what you might bring to it in your own way mhmm!
Even most of the e-extra features in Project Diva cater to this philosophy purrfectly!

I'll admi-it, though, that when I first heard of Hatsu-une Miku I thought it was the stupidest thing ever (and I was already deeply Ota by tha-at point). My fa-andom has come around to the point where my license plate says VCLOID (only allowed 6 letters meuuu :cry:)

Also
Lolita wrote:OMG. I would love to see a steam of gameplay for that xd!!

after checking my wo-ork/dance schedule, I'll run one Tuesday :D