Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues

Talk About Shows Airing Now!
Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Plot:

Teiai Group is one of Japan's largest firms. Yukio Tonegawa, a man with a larger-than-life presence and sharp intellect, works as the right-hand man of Chairman Kazutaka Hyodo. One day, the chairman commands Tonegawa to spearhead "Game of Death," an evil project that employs debtors. He rallies his direct reports and scrambles to form Team Tonegawa, only to encounter a barrage of challenges from the erratic chairman and his disloyal employees, ultimately leading to his demotion.

Legal Streaming:

Creator: Nobuyuki Fukumoto
Director: Keiichiro Kawaguchi
Writer: Mitsutaka Hirota
Music: Takahiro Yamada
Studio: Madhouse
Genre: Drama, Psychological
Episodes: 24

phpBB [video]

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:34 am

I'm not sure if this has the same style as Kaiji but from what I see, its not really gripping me. I'm guessing that this show is mostly for Kaiji fans who already have some love for the characters. It seems that it can be watched as a standalone without having to watch Kaiji but considering that its extremely dialogue heavy, it just might not be for most people. Anyone else have a different take from it? I'm curious to find out.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:08 pm

SethAmaha wrote:Anyone else have a different take from it? I'm curious to find out.

I personally am in love with it, it’s deifntly in the same style as a Kaiji and as a huge Kaiji fan I love it for that, and I don’t just mean in how it looks but also how it’s done overall.

Kaiji as it was already had a lot of dialog, the whole point of the show was showing the deepist pits of human despair and greed and it really went deep into the characters mind, spending a lot of time just on charters freaking out in there mind and then during the death games having them go into DEEP though of how to out play their opponent and trying to predict things to an extreme amount. I loved the way the show did that originally and I’m glad to see that in a weird way it’s still here.

They turn something as simple as tonegawa trying to learn all of his subordinates names into a game of deep though as he has to try and struggle though situations of people with similar names or weird names and I just love how silly it is when the show takes simple stuff to an extreme like this.

Overall I’m really liking the show so far and if it’s anything like Kaiji then it can only get better as it goes along (although the second season of Kaiji wasn’t AS good as the first one (still a great show))

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 am

So I guessed right. If you like Kaiji, you'll probably like this show too. It doesn't look like you need to watch Kaiji before watching this and could be viewed as a standalone so I invite anone to give it a try and see if it works for them or not, you should find out right away.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am

This first episode was awful. Spent way too long recapping season 1 only to pretty much waste the rest of the episode. Madhouse seem to well and truly have ran out of ideas.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 am

Couldn't stand the 2nd episode either. Dropped.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 am

Tori wrote:This first episode was awful. Spent way too long recapping season 1 only to pretty much waste the rest of the episode. Madhouse seem to well and truly have ran out of ideas.

Okay, so I haven’t seen the second episode yet, and I do find it weird how they recapped the first season so much. It even takes place before Kaiji so it made no sense to have to go though all that recap and if someone hasn’t seen it then I doubt this weird side story would interest them and if it did then they aren’t gonna worry about not having seen the first season, just a weird thing to do.

But I personally really liked it, I can kinda see what they were going for but at the same time I can totally see why someone would find it boring or useless, it deifntly used up to much time for what was shown.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm

So I finally got my ahead around the concept of long running dialogue for a single joke BUT the single greatest issue I have with this problem is the Narrator. Having such a loud and obnoxious voice explaining every single thought the characters have and every single joke is very irritating. The whole time I watched episode 2 I kept screaming for the guy to shut up and let the characters say what they are thinking instead. I'm the type that tries to enjoy a show even if I have to get used to things that may not be so great like the CG work of Kingdom or Asta's loud voice in Black Clover but the narrator of this show is way too much even for me to handle. I doubt that after giving it one more try next week that I'll keep at it and will just drop it.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am

SethAmaha wrote:So I finally got my ahead around the concept of long running dialogue for a single joke BUT the single greatest issue I have with this problem is the Narrator. Having such a loud and obnoxious voice explaining every single thought the characters have and every single joke is very irritating.

I completely agree that the narrirater is SUPER irritating, I don’t remember him being as present in Kaiji at all! He did the start and end of episodes and didn’t really say much else for the show and instead we say what Kaiji, other and even what Tonegawa were thinking instead with their own voice. Maybe I’m just remembering it wrong but it’s deifntly annoying me this time and I didn’t feel anything like that with the main series. I hope they tone it down and just use him a lot less and instead give us more internal thoughts to explain everything, it works much better that way.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 am

Episode 3
Im glad the narrator is finally calming down. Last episode was just terrible with how much he talked. The one thing i wished they would take away is the pssst pssst pssts. That gets annoying and distracts from the drama.