Talk About Shows Airing Now!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Hanebado!

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:26 am

Mys145 wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the biggest reason for this is because there are two basic types of audience.

1) the audience who see this mostly as a sports show with big drama elements. They take all the characters into account as part of the narrative and while Ayano may be the main character, she isn't necessarily the ultimate focus of it. For this group, all the characters have their own struggles, not just Ayano. Nagisa has had a lot to deal with from a young age and the sport is important to her so it is natural for this group to want to cheer for someone that is the hard working underdog trying to beat the rude character with great natural talent.

2) This is perhaps the loudest audience, myself included, who see this as a drama with sports elements. The show's focus and most powerful element is in Ayano and her struggles with her abandonment. everything else is fluff, and ultimately what is most important is not the outcome of the games, but how Ayano comes out of this dilemma. Nagisa isn't important for this group because she is not the focus nor the most important. The game can end however it wants, but it really doesn't matter because what is important is how that peace of crap woman will react to it and how Ayano will move forward from there. I'm not going to say we are the biggest part of the viewership because I don't know that for a fact but I do know that we are the loudest because the way this show affects us on a personal level is much greater than the other camp and that is why we are so passionate about our stance on it.

As someone who is personally invested in it, I can tell you that all her actions make complete sense. I won't go too much into it to save time but I think that this show is doing well by showing you what Ayano's state of emotions are. The reason I'm personally in the second camp is because I relate to her in a very strong way and don't care for any of the other characters because their issues are nothing compared to hers.

Spoiler:
I'm going to call out the second audience who sees this show as a drama with sports in it because it sounds to me that they need a reason to justify themselves to watch a sports show. Hanebado is a sports show to its core since it revolves around badminton so much that saying it's a drama with sports in it is just a slap in the face on it. I think Ayano's story is probably more reserved for the rival character instead of the main character.

You say that Ayano's actions make complete sense but you never said if you like Ayano as a person because I can't say that. You may empathize with her but that's different with actually liking the person themselves. Do you like Ayano the way she is regardless of her situation?

Spoiler:
That is a complete incorrect statement. We all came into this show expecting a sports anime. At no point in the PV's and the synopsis did it made anyone think otherwise. If we didn't care for watching a sports anime, why would we ever begin to watch this? The fact that we are coming out of this with a drama instead shows just how greatly the drama just overshadows the sports.

As for Ayano, to sympathise with a character and to like them are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I love Ayano because I sympathise so much for her. I watch her struggle with something so heavy and watch as she finally lets out all those feelings she has been bottling up for years out. Is she a yerk? Yes. But the fact that we see her change and her reasons allows us to come to terms and accept it; unlike with Nagisa who had an extremely bad first impression by starting out as a total jerk character; Nagisa's introduction was so bad that even though she did cool off right away in the second episode, there is still a bitterness you get from her because we know by now what her true self is.

Now why is it that the show turned so strongly into a drama when so many other sports shows have drama elements in them? The answer to this is that the big drama element we see is incredibly grounded and relatable. Anyone that has played a sports knows the feelings of wanting to do better each game, to win each game, and the complete and udder disappointment of losing and the disgust of oneself when realizing that their own skills cannot match up to those that are far talented and better trained than they are. But in that same vein, we also know that a high school level of sports isn't life changing for a losing team. Sure, it sucks, but you tend to move on, which allows the viewer to feel detached enough from the character to not think about it too much and it doesn't hit as hard as it should. With Ayano's case however, what she is going through is on a completely different level. She is very easy to relate to and anyone that has had feelings even close to what she is feeling knows that those feeling ARE life changing. Those feelings are not easy to deal with. Those are feelings of complete uselessness and unworthiness that stay with you throughout your life. Add to the fact that the show does an incredible job at showing Ayano's frustration and how that ultimately breaks her. All this makes the drama far more captivating than the sport itself. The sport is just the vehicle by which this story is progressing but is the drama itself that has become the true heart of it and that is why we of the second camp are so loud and set on it.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Episode 13

I really didn't care for that ending. The show was one of my favorites this season until that point.

Spoiler:
There was absolutely no pay off for the Uchika stuff. Ayano forgives her? What? Talk about a let down.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:13 am

Final Thoughts

If you have been paying attention to my views on this show and you have seen it all, then you probably already know how I feel about the end. First, lets do the technical stuff before I get to meat of my views.

The art on this show is unique in that it is more realistic in terms of the lighting and shading; it looks like what you would expect to see in a real world indoor game. The animation is very good. The characters are constantly moving and the show has a lot of panned shots, showing the motions of the players during the rallies. The art during said rallies is detailed when the characters move, showing muscles extend and contract as hey jump and strike. As expected of a sports show, there a few repeated scenes here and there and are quite obvious which they are as you watch them but it doesn't hurt too much as the show does well in sprinkling them quite sparsely.

Now to the good stuff
Spoiler:
I refuse that ending with every fiber of my being. Up until now I have been mad this entire time. If this show has done one thing right, is getting my emotions riled up and making me hate that woman more so than any other character I've seen. She is trash, she knows she is trash, but continued to act as if she is undeserving of any punishment. The Ayano forgiving her so meekly was the single worst way I could have imagined them ending this show and they did. I would have at least have liked for them for her to shout her feelings out to her and chase her away than to have such an ending. It is extremely unsatisfying and considering that this show banked on it so much, I cannot recommend this show. Yes, the ending ultimately decided how I judge this show and for an ending to leave me so mad and unsatisfied, is something that I haven't ever had. I hated that woman, I hated that blonde bimbo, and they tried to act so nice after all that they have done and for the show to give them zero consequences is a slap in the face.

Venadikt
I Like Anime

Postby Venadikt » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I have to agree with both of you about that ending.

Spoiler:
The unearned redemption soured the show for me. I knew it was coming, I spent the entire season hoping the mum would get her comeuppance. I half expected Ayano's Friend Erena to slap her. What did we get? Ayano forgave the mother who abandoned her because she is good at badminton and the mother doesn't really think she did anything wrong.