Sword Art Online: Alicization

Talk About Shows Airing Now!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 am

Plot:

"Where...am I...?" Before he knows it, Kirito has made a full-dive into an epic, fantasy-like virtual world. With only a murky recollection of what happened right before he logged in, he starts to wander around, searching for clues.

He comes upon an enormous, pitch dark tree (the Gigas Cedar), where he encounters a boy. "My name is Eugeo. Nice to meet you, Kirito." Although he is supposedly a resident of the virtual world – an NPC – the boy shows the same array of emotions as any human being.

As Kirito bonds with Eugeo, he continues to search for a way to log out of this world. Meanwhile, he remembers a certain memory deep down within him. He remembers racing through the mountains with Eugeo as a child... A memory that he should not have in the first place.

And in this memory, he sees someone other than Eugeo, a young blond girl. Her name is Alice. And it is a name that must never be forgotten...

Legal Streaming; https://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online

Creator:Reki Kawahara (Light Novel)
Director:Manabu Ono
Writer:
Music: Yuki Kajiura
Studio:A-1 Pictures
Genre:Action, Game, Adventure, Romance, Fantasy
Episodes: 4 cours

phpBB [video]

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Postby Eira » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am

Okay, so before I get into the first episode I jsut wanna say that it’s kinda interesting that this is the first time I’ve watched Sword Art as it airs. Both season 1 & 2 came out during a period were I would never watch stuff as it aired and would instead wait for them to be done airing. And after seeing the first season I never intended to watch season 2, i only did it to get an understanding of how gun gale works so I could watch alternative. And then I was like ‘well I’ve seen season 2 and I’m curious about alicizarion so I’ll watch season 3’

Oh, I guess I watched alternative as it aired but that’s a spin-off series and I think we all know it’s not the same thing really.

So episode 1
Spoiler:
nice of them to do a nice long episode for the first one. Overall I have a very mixed feeling about this first episode, the start of it was good enough or at least better then I was expecting. A nice little fantasy story about kids going to a cave to get ice, I liked it, it was a nice little fantasy story and apart from the fact that it ends with Alice getting taken it pretty much stands on its own as a nice little fantasy story and I like that. Also since Kirito was acting so different and acted scared and didn’t just wanna fight things I actually really enjoyed watching him in this world, if Kirito and the rest of the world stays like this within alicizarion then I think I should enjoy it.

But then everything goes downhill because they pull a classic Sword Art trademark and go to café to spout exposition for an insanely long time, my god the exposition is so long and there’s so much information thrown at you that a lot of it doesn’t even stick. And of course they give everything acronyms so they’re gonna be saying them a lot later for sure.

Also they like all planned to compete in BoB V, so is that going to happen and be a part of this arc, if so that might help explain why Alicizarion is such a long arc, I’m sure the new world and saving Alice will be grand and bigger then what’s come before but it seems like there’s still death gun stuff going on and they’re gonna play in BoB. Well hopefully they do those better then season II and we don’t get more sitting in a cave for a few episodes nonsense.

Lastly we got that end scene and it’s like, it’s the first episode, we know Kirito isn’t gonna die, weird to play it off like it’s a big deal. He’ll be fine and we all know it. But also Johnny said that like without his sword kitiro and useless and all that but that’s not the case at all, remember at the end of season 1 when his still a teenager and is able to beat a full grown adult in a fight when the adult started with the knife and Kirito is able to get it off him and be in a killing position. He clearly is just as ‘skilled’ in real life as in the games, so why is he not good enough to avoid this guys super close range posion stabby thing. I don’t know, feels like since he has the better range with that umbrella and is meant to be super fast even in real life he shouldn’t of been stabbed.

So yer, I liked the first half and most of the second half was... ehhh.... meh! So I guess for just this first episode and judging it as a first episode I’d give it something like a 5 or 6 out of 10. It’s good and I’m interested enough to stick around for a second episode.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Starting strong. Maybe i should stop reading the re:zero novels and start right away with this SaO arc.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 am

Episode 1
I like the sharpness to the art this time around. The story looks like it is going somewhere interesting and (this is just speculative) it seems like it is slowly getting into the set up to the connection from SAO to Accel World. We already saw the connection from Accel World to SAO, but I'm interested to see how much more they will play on it if it does get into it.

SeismicWolf
Otaku

Postby SeismicWolf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 pm

I was so confused for the first half...

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:33 am

this week's episode was the most controversial episode of the week
Spoiler:
the kohei girls are raped by kirito stops the act from completion.
but on crunchy broadcast said scene was censored but in the web novel before the LN editors fixed
Spoiler:
the girls were fully raped and the act was not stopped

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 am

Controversial for who? Snowflakes who are virgins of reality?
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 pm

fragoff wrote:Controversial for who? Snowflakes who are virgins of reality?

Pretty much the causals that only watch mainstream stuff and never touched old school ovas

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 am

fragoff wrote:Controversial for who? Snowflakes who are virgins of reality?

Controversial just means controversial. It doesn’t have to mean upset or insulted by it. The fact that you seem to be bothered by people being upset by the content and then others not having that opnion makes it controversial for you.

But for the record I don’t really mind, although the web novels were indeed tasteless.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:45 am

Eira wrote:Controversial just means controversial. It doesn’t have to mean upset or insulted by it.

con·tro·ver·sial
adjective: controversial

giving rise or likely to give rise to public disagreement.

If you disagree, you are affected by it. If not, there is no contreversy. and you generaly don't disagree if you either don't care or are positivly affected by it. Your sentence does not make sense.

Eira wrote:The fact that you seem to be bothered by people being upset by the content and then others not having that opnion makes it controversial for you.

My problem is that 'people being upset' are aplenty nowdays and get upset by the most insignificant of things. And that this is for them an occasion to either mute or erease freedom of speech in its many forms.
If things were 'just controversial' like you say, i wouldn't mind. but this is not what is happening in our society.

The simple fact that there is 2 versions of the anime rest my case. In a healthy society, the 'rape scene' is shown as is because it is part of the creator's will for it to be there.

Glorifying weakness of mind is dangerous and we see the stigmas of it a bit more every day.

'“An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise.” - victor hugo