What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
Sierraシエラ
I Like Anime

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Sierraシエラ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:34 am

BlueSpark wrote: O Maidens in Your Savage Season is getting a dub by Sentai Filmworks :)!

YES!!!! I loved this show
Spoiler:
, stupid ending aside.
I look forward to seeing who they pick as voice actors! Since I am a shufu (housewife) I can victory dance until my classes start late tonight.
The anime and the emotions...

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:I updated the post, thanks for showing me Eira! I noticed other people had that button on some posts but I should have paid more attention.

All good, everyone's new at some point. And the fact that you went back and fixed it is really good. It also took me awhile to get to grips with how to format my posts and everything.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Sierraシエラ
I Like Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:07 am

Eira wrote:All good, everyone's new at some point. And the fact that you went back and fixed it is really good. It also took me awhile to get to grips with how to format my posts and everything.

It seems like you have been watching anime a long time, and on the website a long time. What are some of your favorite animes, if you don't mind giving me some recommendations? I have a solid month (Dec 15- Jan 15) where I'm out of school. Planning on consuming as much anime and manga as I can

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Sierraシエラ wrote:
Eira wrote:All good, everyone's new at some point. And the fact that you went back and fixed it is really good. It also took me awhile to get to grips with how to format my posts and everything.

It seems like you have been watching anime a long time, and on the website a long time. What are some of your favorite animes, if you don't mind giving me some recommendations? I have a solid month (Dec 15- Jan 15) where I'm out of school. Planning on consuming as much anime and manga as I can

Now this made me laugh

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:It seems like you have been watching anime a long time, and on the website a long time. What are some of your favorite animes, if you don't mind giving me some recommendations? I have a solid month (Dec 15- Jan 15) where I'm out of school. Planning on consuming as much anime and manga as I can

Thanks, I don't think I've been watching anime that long compared to most people from this site, only for about 6 years as of this month. Which is more then the average anime fan but most people on this site have been watching for a much longer time. But that is enough time to have seen a lot, I have 294 completed anime listed on my MAL and 104 rewatches adding up to 88.5 days worth of watch time. Which is 2124 hours.

I also have been on the site for a bit, like maybe a year and a half at this point but I'm the newest of the active members to be honest. We have like, 2 or 3 memebers who stayed around for a little while who came after me but all of them eventually fell off and most others haven't stayed around long enough to remember. I'm the newest 'main' member I guess you could say. Unless you of course end up sticking around long enough to cement yourself as a part of this community.

My favorite anime of all time is K-On!, it's a really good and influence slice of life. If you're not into Slice of Life, Moe or Club shows then you might not like it, although it is one of the best in those mostly bland genres. It was kind of the kick start to that type of show, coming out towards the end of the harem era and starting up the Moe era. I also really enjoy Love Live but that's the kind of thing you either love or you hate, it doesn't have much going for it unless you like the music and care about the characters.

Nichijou is a great off the wall comedy and I use to consider it my favorite show of all time before rewatching K-On and finding a deeper love for it. Honestly there's not much to say about Nichijou, it's fast paced, greatly animated, and hilarious. Girls und Panzer is a big favorite of mine too, girls getting in tanks and having great tank battles. It actually annoys a tank nerd friend of mine since the show goes off the rails and starts to have the tanks do insane and impossible things, but it's a lot of fun and is really great at establishing and paying off hype, all the tanks are CG which might annoy some but it's done in order to use highly detailed and accurate tank models, it's clear the creator is a huge tank nerd even if he makes them do impossible things.

A Place Further Than The Universe is a really good emotional drama. It starts off light hearted and stays there most of the time, it's just about these girls going to Antarctica, all for different reasons. And all of them end up getting something out of the trip, the big moments are when episodes end with a pay off for one of the characters arcs and it's really good stuff. I fell in love with the series early on and ended up watching it all in one night. It's the most a show has ever made me cry with the second to last episode having an absolutely gut wrenching scene, the direction, the music, the voice acting, it's all so well done to help sell this single moment that just destroyed me. I was audibly sobbing and starting shaking for it, it really got to me. I recommended it to a friend and they didn't enjoy it so I obviously can't say for sure you'll enjoy it, but I loved it.

Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) is one of the best comedy of recent years. It's hilarious and has a bunch of references to video games and other anime and constantly makes fun of itself and doesn't take itself too seriously while still being able to have serious moments when it has to. It's also got a huge cast that's constantly rotating in and out of importance, outside of 3-4 characters the main party is constantly changing and old friends come and go throughout the story giving the whole thing a sense of connected-ness. The best few episodes happen when the part is the biggest and almost all important characters we've met up to that point end up in the same spot, which doesn't happen again till the very last episode, which is the actual best episode. I really like it but some people can't get past the style or the admittedly not as good first few episodes, but it just get's better and better as it goes.

Princess Tutu, don't let the name fool you is a great magical girl anime that actually does get a bit dark. No the madoka way but in a more themes way. The show starts of very 'Monster of the week'. But after awhile it starts to focus on a more overall story and pretty much every characters goes though some major change in their role and position in the story. It's quite surprising and I really love the way it tells it's story, it also has a lot to say about the nature of stories which as a writing student I loved, and it's given me a lot of inspiration that I use in my story telling now. It's also the only anime where I'll ever say I prefer the dub over the sub, it's the only show where I'll say that, because the dub cast just really got it and did a good job with it.

There's not much I can say about this last one, Serial Experiments Lain. Just an absolute gem of a show, it has a lot to say and it says it very powerfully, a show that absolutely knocked me away the first time and I saw it and it's so dense that every time I re watch it I notice more and more details and start to unpack it a bit more and reach a deeper level of understanding. It's just a really well done show for a lot of reasons but I don't wanna say too much to risk spoling even the smallest of details, it's so dense that everything matters.

And that's my top 10 minus 2 because I didn't wanna bring up movies, but I love A Silent Voice and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Kind of ended up as a big huge rant but I tend to be very opinionated and tend to have something to say about everything and will always end up writing a lot. Hope these are helpful, keep in midn that our tastes might just be different, I don't wanna promise that you'll enjoy any of these but they're some of my all of time favorites. Although my top 10 list does actually need an update possibly.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Sierraシエラ
I Like Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:41 am

Eira wrote:My favorite anime

Thank you! I added them all to my list to procure (through the legal means of a swashbuckling pirate)

I really enjoy slice of life, fantasy, and comedy. Those are the main ones I find and watch on my own but I feel like a can enjoy almost any anime, if not just for the new experiences within the story. I also rarely watch anime that was made for younger audiences unless I can get my little sisters to watch with me. If I am being honest I have never attempted to watch a magical girl anime but that was partly because I didn't know where to start in the genre.

I am planning on starting to watch K-On! sometime this afternoon or tomorrow. I have some finale projects due this semester still, but most just need polished up (I knew I'd get burnt out before the semester ends so I did the hard work early). Call it senioritis or lazy but I'd love to escape into anime today.

Thank you for all the time you spent on that list for me! I really appreciated the story description and why it worked for you.

p.s. Girls und Panzer, A Silent Voice, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are three animes I really enjoyed too. :)

Sierraシエラ
I Like Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:03 am

Side note: I was so focused on all the anime I am gonna watch that I accidentally locked myself out of the house....
I have found great power, but no responsibility.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:04 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:Thank you! I added them all to my list to procure (through the legal means of a swashbuckling pirate)

I personally always go via legal means, which just means that sometimes I can't watch shows I want to so it's a little unfortunate but overall it's just how I do things. However, don't worry, I don't try and force that view on anyone else and I don't care how others get their anime, it's just not for me.
Sierraシエラ wrote:I am planning on starting to watch K-On! sometime this afternoon or tomorrow. I have some finale projects due this semester still, but most just need polished up (I knew I'd get burnt out before the semester ends so I did the hard work early). Call it senioritis or lazy but I'd love to escape into anime today.

I actually just finished University all together this week, so now I've got free time until I can get hired so feel free to also throw your favorites at me and I'll check them out too. We'll do a little exchange, I hope you enjoy K-On!
Sierraシエラ wrote:Side note: I was so focused on all the anime I am gonna watch that I accidentally locked myself out of the house.... I have found great power, but no responsibility.

That is indeed great power with a lack of responsibility, haha.

Sierraシエラ
I Like Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 am

Eira wrote:I personally always go via legal means, which just means that sometimes I can't watch shows I want to so it's a little unfortunate but overall it's just how I do things. However, don't worry, I don't try and force that view on anyone else and I don't care how others get their anime, it's just not for me.

Ended up seeing it on Hulu at first I couldn't find where it was streaming on google so I almost gave up. I have hulu, netfilx, Crunchyroll, and amazon prime but if there is a show that isn't on those platforms I will resort to whatever.

I think this might be my top ten but every time a look at it I change it:
Bed and breakfast for spirits (dub)
This one had solid world building, decent dialog, a strong female character, and a really cute relationship between her and 'the master' (not the romantic kind, but I liked their interactions)

Monthly Girls Nozakikun (dub)
You might find Nozaki's spaciness frustrating, and Chio's devotion wasted but that is part of the humor of this slice of life. The art work was really cute too!

Umaruchan (sub)
Umaru is a pretty, intelligent, and elegant girl... well outside the house at least. At home she is a devoted otaku living with a doting oniisan. This story is about her enjoying her otaku hobbies while also finding her place in high school.

maid-sama
The hulu artwork for this one actually looked a little ecchi, but it was a total shojo. It follows Misa- the strong and authoritative class president as she keeps the former all boys school in line. After school however she is a sweet and submissive seeming maid at maid latte. How can she be so different at home and work, and why is that sexy blonde haired boy so curious about her?

spice and wolf
The dialog and artwork in this show are really what draws me in. Holo so witty and a playful wolf god. Lawrence is a clever merchant. The way they build each other up into accomplishing their goals is enough to keep me entertained.

sweetness and lightning
I cant seem to remember any of the character names for this one. Seeing the teacher and his daughter try to adjust to living without his wife, and the student they meet try to adjust to being more independent, was all heartwarming. I feel like this is the only one I would say I loved, but I loved the manga even more. The anime didn't have a full ending. Watching the show and reading the manga after would totally work though.

My roommate is a cat (dub)
This one is so freaking cute. It playfully explores whats going on in the mind of this cute little kitten. Its basically a flipped perspective show. You'll see events in the humans perspective in one episode, and the cats in another.

A lull in the sea
This show is absolutely breathtaking. I love the ocean, enough to go all the way to Australia to see the Great barrier reef and surf the sunshine coast back in 2012 (and rappelling in the blue mountains). This show had a beautiful world build. I wish it had a little more background on the world in the beginning because you kinda jump right into it but over time you learn more and more. It also is one of the few anime's I've seen to span such a long time. You see a lot of characters you love growing up.

Engaged to the undefined
this one starts out pretty cute and funny but has an amazing twist in the middle that I hope you'll love.

Kimi ni Todoke
This show has a lot of funny moments but is an overall solid shojo slice of life. It follows a girl that looks kind of scary and her adorable struggles to try to please her classmates. It was made in 2005 to 2017, but the artwork isn't as detailed other animes. It didn't bother me, but that was something my husband really didn't like about it.

If I were to just pick two, keeping k-on! in mind, Monthly Girls Nozakikun and Umaruchan are so much fun to watch.

Congratulations on graduating! I will graduate in May but I am continuing on to grad school for a year (just in case my soul isn't completely sucked dry by May). How did you celebrate, if anything? In a typically American fashion, I am going to Disney World the week after I get my bachelors but that's mostly for my 7-year-old sisters' benefit.

p.s.
'Working' seasons one and two
another great slice of life

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:39 am

Sierraシエラ wrote:I have found great power, but no responsibility.
So anime has basically corrupted your soul. Time to go watch some soul-soothing iyashikei... Waaait, I smell a vicious cycle there.

Sierraシエラ wrote:It also is one of the few anime's I've seen to span such a long time. You see a lot of characters you love growing up.
I've found over time that I'm a sucker for well-placed time skips in anime. The one in A Lull in the Sea was superb in my opinion, and it's a significant part of the reason why I love the series, too. It was the driving force behind Chisaki's personal struggle and helped move Miuna and Sayu (best girl :>) into the spotlight.

For my part, I watched Girls' Last Tour. The aesthetic made it reminiscent of Made in Abyss, but the content was much more 'tame,' if you will. I loved the first 2 or 3 episodes, which really made it look like the story was based around the survival of the two main girls. But in the end, it took on more of an adventure feel akin to Kino's Journey, which I'm not a big fan of.

However, the main characters helped make the experience mostly enjoyable. Their quabbles were just adorable :>. The episode with the robots and the fish might have been my favorite overall - it's rare that I deeply appreciate moral messages in an anime, but the ending of this (including Yuuri's character growth) felt quite powerful to me.

Oh, and the raindrop song was great - I was smiling the whole way through :). I think it was a great choice to use it as the ending theme of its respective episode, plus it was repeated in the final ep. The last episode itself was rather weird, but then again, it gave some great backstory on the world. Putting this little 'info dump' at the very end of the series seems like an unconventional move, but I'd say it worked out decently well to put a neat little bow on the (obviously incomplete) story.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!