Most Disturbing Anime You've Seen?

Current and Classic Animation!
Andrew
Site Admin

Most Disturbing Anime You've Seen?

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Anime can push some boundaries that are normally avoided in most mediums across the world. We get murder, death, or just plain weird concepts flowing from the minds in Japan that Hollywood would never touch.

That said, what is the most disturbing anime series you've seen? Let us know! One stipulation, no Hentai.. despite that probably having most of the most disturbing stuff around. And try to keep images decent.

I have quite a few picks, but I'll save them in case others want to post them. Instead, I'll post the most disturbing.. nearly vomit inducing... GYO!

It's a movie about some sort of science experiment gone wrong that brings about the end of mankind. In the first moments, it's sea creatures riding upon the backs of robotic legs, but soon turns into something much more disgusting when people are killed by their poisonous claws that induce.. gas..

Warning: While I did mention no hentai, and GYO isn't a hentai, it does feature some mild nudity and a brief sex scene. So keep that in mind if you're even considering watching this nasty film lol!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

MadGunner
Senpai

Re: Most Disturbing Anime You've Seen?

Postby MadGunner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:41 am

Pupa is about a sister that eats her brother on a daily basis, literally eats him, taking bites of him while moaning onichan. soo that's pretty Desu~ up if you ask me. Corpse party comes to mind when thinking about disturbing anime to.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:29 am

MadGunner wrote:Pupa is about a sister that eats her brother on a daily basis, literally eats him, taking bites of him while moaning onichan. soo that's pretty Desu~ up if you ask me. Corpse party comes to mind when thinking about disturbing anime to.

Haha, two shows I had in mind to point out. Corpse Party is insanely violent for sure, though I've only played the game and not watched the show. I don't get scared watching TV/Movies, but Corpse Party had me spooked while playing it (headphones). Eye gouging, beheadings, tongue cutting, guys turned on by exploded bodies.. it's way weird.

Pupa was just.. bad.. way bad.. And yes, adding in the incest munching made it go disturbing for me. The baby episode was screwed up too.

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:08 am

Yeah I always wanted to play Corpse party but I could never justify buying a PSP for just one game, so when i saw that there was an Anime for it I got really excited. That excitement quickly died upon seeing that it was only 4 episodes, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The Anime is nothing speical but it did what I wanted it to, be gore and Desu~ up, I can't say that it was scary though.

Pupa is a whole other monster though. Pupa is so Shinji that it should never even have seen the light of day, it baffles me that someone thought it was good enough to get air time. The animation looks like Shinji, the story is nonexistent, and the plot has bigger holes than the grand canyon even though it doesn't have a plot. It makes no sense and I feel stupider for seeing it :P

I would also like to give a shout out Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, it may not be disturbing on the level of Pupa or Corpse Party but those poor girls go thru so much Shinji, and that weird little Desu~ Kubey is the mastermind behind everything. He is definitely a disturbing character if anything. He made them into husks FFS.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:16 am

i belive corpse party is on vita as well. may need to check with andrew on how to get it however. but im pretty sure its on the marketplace.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:52 pm

MadGunner wrote:Yeah I always wanted to play Corpse party but I could never justify buying a PSP for just one game, so when i saw that there was an Anime for it I got really excited. That excitement quickly died upon seeing that it was only 4 episodes, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The Anime is nothing speical but it did what I wanted it to, be gore and Desu~ up, I can't say that it was scary though.

Yeah, I sorta pointed out most of my reasoning for finding Corpse Party spooky and it was mainly in its audio quality and the fact that you're controlling the characters versus just watching things unfold. You make decisions that can cost their lives. In extremely disturbing ways.

I went into detail in our podcast on Games For Otaku if you missed it and want to listen to it. We start talking about Corpse Party at 32:10. And yes, it's a PSP digital title for quite a few regions including NA if you want to download it to your Vita, it plays perfectly.

http://otakuspirit.com/2014/06/animecas ... for-otaku/

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Well I have been thinking about buying a Vita because of SAO: Hollow Fragment, soo I guess I could ad Corpse Party to my list of: Reasons to buy a PS Vita :) (If it's available in Sweden OFC)

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:11 pm

I don't go in for the over the top cannibal boogedy stuff, but the Hansel and Gretel arc in Black Lagoon had me creeped out. Maybe because Black Lagoon is (relatively speaking) fairly grounded in physical reality. I felt sick right along with Rock. Disturbing on an emotional level, more than a visual one.

Spoiler:

And the cold-blooded murder of a monster is still a cold-blooded murder
Spoiler:

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:39 am

i have been considering this for a few days. unfortunately either i just don't remember them or just have blocked them out. most of the ones i can think of are known by all of us or are just not that bad. and i know i have seen some. and most of the really bad ones i can think of are of course as my brother has mentioned fall into the hentai category.

so i guess my default answer would be Higurashi. of course i could make the argument for FLCL but that's just me and my associating it with its insanity not so much gore. both make me uncomfortable just in different ways.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:15 am

I regretted watching Kite. I myself don't recommend it for anyone. Along with a horrible plot, the characters are some of the worse to grace a screen. Boring, insipid, stupid, with no redeeming qualities! And off the wall action that doesn't make sense at all! It was disturbing, for all the wrong reasons!