Current and Classic Animation!
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Most Disturbing Anime You've Seen?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:52 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Visual Novel
Saya No Uta
Still debating on whether I want to read this one or not. I remember it came recommended by Crash, back when I was still somewhat new here. I'd like to keep my mental sanity, though (or however much is left of it, anyway).

[

Saya no uta or song of Saya is a visual novel by gen urobuchi or "the butcher." He wrote madoka, fate zero, psycho pass and many others, but Saya is Lovecraftian horror which I'm not sure how much of this forum you've read but it is pretty clearly my favorite horror. Lovecraftian horror is not so much about scary monsters (heh JoJo's reference) though they're comprised mostly of abominations, but it's more about beings so outside of humans minds that humans can't even look at them without breaking sanity.
If you knew that then sweet reference, if not, solid coincidence.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:00 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:If you knew that then sweet reference, if not, solid coincidence.
Should I play it up as intentional? Nah, I'm not good at lying. Dub me the king of coincidence instead ;).

I do enjoy horror media which manage to establish an uncanny atmosphere without showing any tangible threats such as mutated beasts or psycopathic killers. I believe the idea of Lovecraftian horror is a bit different from what I'm referring to here (e.g. the anime series Another, the movie Boogeyman or the video game F.E.A.R.), but having seen Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass, this could be fun. Depends on whether I can make time for it, though. How long would you say does it take to read through Song of Saia?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 am

BlueSpark wrote:I've only ever read or listened to descriptions of the event, but man, does it seem to have left an impact on people... Makes me think of the ending of School Days (which I haven't seen, either).

I kinda get what you mean, and I get why you said this comparison. But I dont think it's the best comparison to make. (So for the sake of conversing) Berserk was impactful because of its story, character development and how and why the ending came to be. Its beyond the sheer brutality of it. Its messed up in a few ways, all of which are hard spoilers. And School Days (while a solid show, not great but pretty okay) is no Berserk. Its ending is impactful because people hated it. I think it's a hilarious ending though. :3

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:If you knew that then sweet reference, if not, solid coincidence.
Should I play it up as intentional? Nah, I'm not good at lying. Dub me the king of coincidence instead ;).

I do enjoy horror media which manage to establish an uncanny atmosphere without showing any tangible threats such as mutated beasts or psycopathic killers. I believe the idea of Lovecraftian horror is a bit different from what I'm referring to here (e.g. the anime series Another, the movie Boogeyman or the video game F.E.A.R.), but having seen Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass, this could be fun. Depends on whether I can make time for it, though. How long would you say does it take to read through Song of Saia?

Lovecraftian horror is more about the unthinkable. Its fear that can be brought on thru something so outside of the realm of possibility that the human psyche shatters at the mere sight of it. Imagine a 4th dimensional being being completely visible in your 3 dimensional space. Your brain has no way of rationalizing what is happening in front of it. That being said, heres a picture of saya.

Saya No Uta is between 6-13 hours depending on reading speed to 100%

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:27 pm

I just remembered another reallt distrubing anime I’ve seen. Sh*tcom. It’s called the actual word and the real title doesn’t have the censor on it but I hate to write it that way to avoid the OS censor. it’s done in a claymation style and it’s not even good claymation. And well... it’s just really disturbing and I wouldn’t wish that anyone to see it, a friend of mine for some reason gave it a 7 cause he thinks that ‘it’s really deep’ and of course I just hate it it becuase I ‘don’t get it’.

But no, he’s just an idiot, it’s really bad, please don’t watch it. If you MUST watch it then I’ll hide why it’s horrible but if you’d rather not watch it but are curious then open up the tag.
Spoiler:
a couple is out to dinner and one of them sh**ts out of her mouth and then the other one proposes to her before also sh**ting out of his mouth and I hate it!
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 pm

I don't watch a lot of really disturbing Anime so I'll have to go with Aoi Bungaku. It's more depressing than disturbing but it was a very hard watch for me.
Knowing that (more or less) the creator is pouring out his lifes story into it, watching the main character go through hell each day as life only gets worse and knowing that Dazai commits suicide after finishing the story is very disturbing for me.

The only stories aren't very happy ones either.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Ninja Resurrection. A very forgettable story, meaningless bloodbath after the first 20 minutes of the first OVA. Set in the feudal era, concerning the persecutions of Christians, and suddenly a ninja with a jet-propelled flying suit of armor appears, as well as multiple shot rocket launchers: yeah, a major draw for me, breaking my immersion in the story. And at the end, a very disgusting scene that I don't remember well, only that I hated it so much that it disturbed me, on the level of the Eclipse in Berserk. I never bothered watching the second OVA, since the first was pretty bad!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 am

I just recalled Hen Semi. It is a funy anime, but it gets weird. So i guess it somehow fits into the disturbing genre. Even if it is not really an hentai, as there are no sex scene you get some pretty uneasy cituations around the subject of sex. The OVA is priceless.

But i warn you people, you need an open mind to appriciate this thing.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato