Genre discussion

Current and Classic Animation!
Chris
Site Co-Founder

Genre discussion

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 am

Spoiler:
Andrew wrote:Haha, I've never ran into a Slice of Life that doesn't have unhappy moments. Drama is the single most common thread in Slice of Life genre. Even Non Non Biyori, a Slice of Life comedy, had sad moments.

I actually favored the use of Slice of Life as a genre for this show when SemiBolt threw it at me on Twitter. So fitting. And I don't think the Slice of Life genre specifies that the world has to be non-fantastical or grounded in reality as we know it in most definitions.

SemiBolt wrote:The whole Slice of life thing can be confusing, It depends on what SoL means to you.
Kokoro Connect and Clannad are Slice of Life anime but with a slight twist that allows them to peak into other genres every now and then. Personally I don't think SoL means purely realism, for me its the struggles of life, good or bad but still grounded a little.

Anywho, Once I start picking a part a Anime is usually when it gets worse.
One of my favorite Anime of all time has HUUUGE problems,
Extreme plot holes to the story, first few episodes were way too fast paced, 3rd season got on my nerves but once I remembered my experience it was really one of the most fun Anime I've watched and in the end, that was the whole creators intention, Something you don't take too seriously.

Honestly, if anyone doesn't like Grimgar now, I don't think they will do something big enough to make people change their minds.
Its purely the struggles of not very strong people trying to stay alive in a fantasy environment.
And so far Its pulled it off flawlessly for me personally.

SemiBolt wrote:
Ya, I guess the shows that I usually think of when it comes to SoL are like Non Non Biyori and Is the Order a Rabbit and Kiniro Mosaic :lol: I think of Clannad as more of a drama and romance, but I guess that it would be a slice of life as well :)

I agree with that assessment of Grimgar :) It's hitting all the right notes for me and hitting them strong!

Anime genres are confusing .__.
Shounen is probably the hardest to figure out since its almost not even a genre....
I could write 10 novels about genres xD
Why isn't it sunday yet ;-;

Kocurek1944 wrote:
SemiBolt wrote:
Ya, I guess the shows that I usually think of when it comes to SoL are like Non Non Biyori and Is the Order a Rabbit and Kiniro Mosaic :lol: I think of Clannad as more of a drama and romance, but I guess that it would be a slice of life as well :)

I agree with that assessment of Grimgar :) It's hitting all the right notes for me and hitting them strong!

Anime genres are confusing .__.
Shounen is probably the hardest to figure out since its almost not even a genre....
I could write 10 novels about genres xD
Why isn't it sunday yet ;-;

Because shounen is not a genre,but demographic.It refers to anime aimed to males in ages between 13-18 years old.

Chris wrote:yeah there is a habit to use shonen to designate a type of show but its kinda unfair. shonen as a genre fits the naruto, bleach, onepiece formula. which doesnt have a true designation in itself that i know of. but as kocureek said its not truly a genre in it self. it can fit anything from konosuba to aokana.

but generally if someone mentions that something is shonenesc or its a shonen show they are refering to the dragonball type shows. people rarely mention shonen as the demo. heck even me and andrew tend to say shonen as a genre constantly. i think i even tried to explain idol shows as the shojo equivilant to the shonen shows. which theoreticly makes no sense taking all this at face value.

heck if i had to point at a genre that makes no sence to me it would be slice of life like my brother mentioned earlier. that has got to be the most broad spectrum of allowable designations. dont get me wrong i love slice of life shows. but the line for what is slice of life is so blurry it makes no sence. i.e. the debate me and andrew had about castle town dandilion and miss monochrome.

well ill stop my rambling i hope it helps.

hold on im making a thread this is going to get a little out of hand

this is so that the grimgar thread doesnt get bogged down in the genre discussion.

talking about shonen was kind of easy to discuss but hitting slice of life i realized i could have fun discussing that genre . what makes a genre what confuses you a bout a genre. maby someone can help.

and lets have a little fun with me and andrews baby debate. if castletown dandilion is slice of life then miss monochrome is slice of life.

where is the line that disqualifies a show as slice of life.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: Genre discussion

Postby Kocurek1944 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:08 pm

For me the problem with slice of life as a genre is lack of sub genres.
Each time rules are changed we see creation of new one.
Mecha has:
-super robots
-real robots
-fantasy mecha etc.
Fantasy has:
-high fantasy
-steampunk etc.
Science-Fiction has:
-dark science-fiction
-cyberpunk etc.
But slice of life doesn't have that which makes classification of very difficult.Pepole because of lack of this smaller pockets tend to think that sol only consists of shows set in high school.
I for example have no pronlem calling first season of 'Akagami no Shirayuki-hime' fantasy slice of life.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:27 pm

why call it fantasy slice of life why not just call it fantasy? by all accounts what would fantasy be? the general idea is that you would imeadiatly say there is a quest. but in all honesty that is what me and andrew were discussing during the dileberations that seems like it would fit better in the adventure genre. cant a fantasy just be a fantasy world.

and do not get me wrong i think shiroyuki is fine as a fantasy slice of life im just posing the question to cause the discussion.

the root of the problem is that slice of life conflicts with anything that is not slice of life. yet the idea behind placing it in the genre list is to show that it has a certain level of beliveability. but just dropping it into a genre list kinda breaks the effect of what your trying to use it for.

inari kon kon and gingetsune are prime examples of this. both are excellent as slice of life with supernatural twists. but why not call them straight supernatural? what is the qualifier for supernatural?

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm

To me SoL anime has always been shows that focus on the characters and their lives. As long as that is the focus it's a SoL anime to me. If you have a show that has it's focus on something else, it kinda loses that SoL feeling to me. Take Aria the Animation for example. Aria is about a girl who wants to become an Undine. While that is her goal, it is not the focus. The focus is on her and her friends everyday life. Another example would be as I mentioned earlier, Yokohama Shopping Trip. That is pure SoL. It has no plot or anything. It's simply a part of the main girls life we are watching.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:For me the problem with slice of life as a genre is lack of sub genres.

How things are divided up genre-wise is always to some extent arbitrary when you think about it. As far as sub genres of slice of life, why not break it up like this for starters:

School setting

Work setting

Family setting

They could be broken up further from there if useful :)

Then there is how grounded in reality they are, from something with absolutely no supernatural elements, like Hanasaku Iroha, to Natsume Yujin-cho (both listed as SOL on Crunchyroll)

I think Natsume is a real stretch, BTW ::pff::

But in between we have shows that might fall into "Magical Realism" ranging from shoes like "Wagnaria" to "Kokoro Connect", the latter pushing pretty far into the fantastical, but not as far as Natsume.

Why call a show 'Fantasy Slice of Life"? Well if it's a show like Monster Musume, the whole hook is everyday life with monster girls. So everyday live, but monster girls. The whole joke is that this bunch f monster girls have to deal with mundane day-today stuff. Yuki Yuna is a Hero is listed on CR as SOL, but they have to go out and save the world, so SOL doesn't seem to fit for me (Besides, its a Magical Girl, right?)

Anyway, interesting discussion :)

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Slice of life for me would be considered,
Music genre
Shojo/romance genre
Most comedy
Slice of Life.
Most sports Anime.
And rarely shounen :P

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:34 am

For me, as stated previously, slice of life is something that is fun and cute and doesn't have an overarching plotline.

Examples:

Non Non Biyori
Kiniro Mosaic
Aria the Animation
Is the Order a Rabbit

That isn't to say that those shows can't be classified as drama or comedy as well, but those would be secondary and tertiary to Slice of Life.

As for Snow White with the Red Hair, I don't view it as Slice of Life. It is first and foremost a romance and then a drama.

Same goes for Grimgar. It is an action/adventure with heavy drama and fantasy elements.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:14 am

Here's the problem about all of this discussion: Japanese don't really have genre splits like we do. They really only have shounen, shoujo, seinin, and josei which are really demographics not genres. For example, Azumanga Daioh is classified as a seinin.

In the simplest terms, any show is either a comedy or drama. The further subdivisions beyond that are setting and/or overall set of feelings. For the most part, we can take various genres that have been establish and take into Japanese shows but slice of life is something that only exists for Japanese shows. I never heard of anything in American shows being classified as slice of life only Japanese shows.

I guess what I'm saying that slice of life shouldn't exist anymore because it's just a term that someone created to define something outside of their norm.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Genres have always been a tool to specify what to expect in the content of a medium. It's a snap shot to help someone know what to expect out of a piece of entertainment or source. Demographics are included in this as it helps people understand that a show is intended for them and not necessarily another person or group.

The only point in which the usage of genre becomes broken is when a piece of medium gets tagged with too many genres. Just because there's an explosion at some point of a film, doesn't mean it needs to suddenly have an action genre. Too much information saturation is harmful in this case. But that doesn't mean specifying what's there is bad. Be it demographic, slice of life, etc.

Also, Japan isn't the only country that utilizes genres that categorize demographics like shounen and seinen. America has been using genres like Kids and Family for some time to specify that a show is created with those groups in mind. Shoot, they even have genres for specific races (example African-American genre).

As far as Slice of Life being used in general, I think it's a fantastic tool to set apart a show. If it wasn't, then people would never use it. Just like when you say "this has great action" instantly tells someone your going to see some movement and energy of different forms, saying "this is a great slice of life" immediately tells someone they should expect more standard aspects of a persons life.

It's also a but dishonest to fault Japan for Slice of Life as a quick research shows that its origins and uses predate anime. It only stands out as Japanese because we frequent it, have latched onto it as a easy way of defining such a diverse and crazy medium. If it serves to define something, then what's wrong with that? I'd also venture to guess its origins in anime was due to American publishers, not Japan due to the genre's origins. But that is speculation that is nearly impossible to prove one way or another.

I'll chime in on other notes here. But will leave it at that for now.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:55 pm

True, the term "Slice of Life" is much broader than anime or Japanese media. It's been used to describe things from Francois Truffaut movies to Gilmore Girls. I think Andrew's right that we associate it with anime because we're focused on anime.

As far as demographic delineation goes, the "Young Adult" segment in western publishing is a good example. And a good example of how works published in the segment break out into the larger culture, like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and pretty much any non comic-book based blokckbuster any more ;)