Genre discussion

Current and Classic Animation!
Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Genre discussion

Postby Eira » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 am

BlueSpark wrote:I'd personally prefer to keep them strictly separated from genre descriptors such as "romance," "action," "comedy" and what I consider good candidates for sub-genres: "school," "mecha," "fantasy" etc..

I agree, the core genre should always be able to describe the tone and style of a show and tell us what it’s going to mainly feature and thus the intent of the work on a very broad scale. Sub genres that describe the type of setting help inhance the core of the genre and thus can give us more insight into what a show is like and what we can expect to see from it.

While demographic does do this to a dagree it only goes so far and so I think just keeping the demographic as a demographic as fine, I don’t know why it has to be shoved into genre in any way. It’s still an aspect of the show that’s mentioned and we still can consider it if we want to. I think it goes against the point of a genre to be included, anime is pretty pidgin holed when it comes to these demographics but that doesn’t mean we should just make them a genre cause if anything that’s just accepting the pidgion holeing and making it worse.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Genre discussion

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 pm

I really don't see how much more straightforward this could be.
Shonen means boy
Seinin means young man/man
Shojou means girl
Josei means woman.

These are your target demographics, the publications that put out source material are aiming for a demographic. Genre has nothing to do with demographic.