Watch-along: A lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara)

Current and Classic Animation!
Skeith165
Crazy About Anime

Re: Watch-along: A lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara)

Postby Skeith165 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:43 am

Episodes 11 and 12
Spoiler:
These episodes where really surprising to me. I'm actually shocked that they got pretty much all the love lines out in the open between them all. I had just assumed I would have to sit through painful "I need to tell [blank] how I feel. Nah I'll do it later" moments, but this show never really fell into that cycle. It's pretty refreshing.
I really want everyone to end up with who they like because I don't actually dislike any of the characters. I was a little lukewarm on Kaname, but I love when there is a character that essentially says " Everyone cut the crap get it all out there. no more games." It's sad to think that there's no way everyone will end up with someone, as far as I can tell. Basically I'm just happy they all got their feelings out there so soon, and not at episode 23 or something like that. That can work for some shows but not ones that have their love dodecagons visible from ep. 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. ::happy:: I'm really enjoying this watch along as well. It's my first one and I like seeing how everyone is enjoying the show. Be it disagreeing or agreeing with how I'm feeling about it.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Eps. 11 and 12

I'm revising my thoughts on eps. 9 and 10: I needed that calm before the storm to tell the truth. These two go into the thick of things, so much so, that I want to see the next two right now!

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Episodes 11 and 12

Spoiler:
Really hit the feels button again. T__T I respect Kaname for how straight forward he was over the last three episodes. It take a tremendous amount of courage to tell someone straight up how you feel. It also takes balls to put your friendships on the line like he did at the end of episode 12 because he feels that they need to get it all on the table. However, it's really hard seeing the effect this has on the rest of them. I feel so much for Manaka. I think despite of the fact that Chisaki is the one who said before that she didn't want change Manaka is really the person who most wants stuff to remain the same. She wants to continue being honest friends with all of them and wants everyone to have what they want. That's just not possible though and I think ultimately Kaname was right to force Hikari's hand. It's not like he said it for him he just gave him the shove he needed IF Hikari really wanted to be honest...
Also loved the moments between Miuna and Akari and Hikari/Akari's Dad. Such a touching and beautiful thing to see the understanding that blossoms within that whole relationship. ;-;

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Episodes 11-12:

Spoiler:
I think Kaname is a real hero here :lol: He finally forced everyone to confront their feelings, and even though he is the bad guy right now, I hope that they can see how important all of this was.

What a mess of a love polygon :lol: I'm really loving the show right now, but the thing I want most by the end is some payoff for these relationships and I'm afraid that we aren't going to get any. I stand by my ships though :D

Seems like the ceremony will be coming up soon, so I can't wait to find out how things are going to go with the wedding and this hibernation!

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:58 pm

One thing I like about PA works original shows it that so often, adults are actual, fully rounded characters, not jokes or placeholders. As someone mentioned before, Nagi-Asu is a true ensemble piece. We do have our central cast, sure, but there is a large cast that, while they all serve a purpose within the story, so many of them are "living, breathing" characters in their own right. Not just plot elements

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Episodes 13 and 14

Spoiler:
I loved the conversation between Hikari and Manaka at the beginning of episode 13. It shows just how much he has matured that he can say honestly how much she means to him irrespective of whether or not she returns his feelings...but of course knowing what's going to happen in the next episode I'm banging my head against the wall when she says "lets talk after the Ofunehiki." Gahh.
I found the Ofunehiki itself to be absolutely stunning. The kimono looked so beautiful on Akari and it was adorable seeing Miuna attempt to call her mom. x3 ::blush::

Then of course episode 14 opens with the huge twist which is the time skip. The first time I watched this I was like WH-wha-what just happened! ::shocked:: Totally not where I expected the show to go. I do find the now changed dynamics to be intriguing though. It breaks my heart seeing how crushed Chisaki was when she realizes she was left behind and how powerless Tsumugu looks standing outside her door unable to do anything about her tears. ::nono:: Image

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:18 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Episodes 13-14:
Spoiler:
Oh man! What a series of events!

A lot to parse here, so sorry if my thoughts are kind of disjointed.

I feel bad for Kaname. He helps rescue Tsumugu and the last thing he sees is the girls he loves holding him in the boat before a giant stone pillar lands on him in the water. I hope he isn't dead. If he does come back, I wonder how his and Chisaki's relationship will be. I feel like Tsumugu likes Chisaki, and I can't blame him, but I don't like it. I still want ChisakixKaname to happen despite the hurdles, if he comes back.

My ship of Miuna and Hikari has a fighting chance now!!! She's real pretty and they're the same age now :D Time seemed to have stopped for him, so he's still probably stuck on the events of that night because they happened like yesterday in his mind. I hope that Miuna can be there for him.

We still don't know what happened to Manaka. She slammed pretty hard into the ground there when the sea god took her. I'm sure she'll be back, but at what point and in what condition. I feel like she was going to confese to Hikari after the festival, but I'm not sure what will happen when/if she comes back, what with everything being different.

Love that Akari and Itaru have a kid, even if the kid is a pill :lol:

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Logan wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Episodes 13-14:
Spoiler:
ChisakixKaname

You, my good friend, need to stop this! Kaname is a f-ing dipshit, that only deserves the love of a sea slug!! Don't ruin my precious beautiful Chisaki with that trash of a human being!!!

lol JK, not realy

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Episode 13-14

Well at least something actually happened plot wise. I really like the pair of episodes.
I have pretty much accepted what this anime is going to be even though it's not what I wanted after all of the hints.

What this is is an anime mostly about 14 year olds and their unrequited love in their "love-line."
It's all well and good with some actual plot cropping up when convenient. This anime has the cute moments to make me smile and perhaps remember some crushes I had around that age.
Too-too-roo!
"We'll do some culture afterwards" -Macross (1982 Ep 36)

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:49 pm

DieSchlachten wrote:What this is is an anime mostly about 14 year olds and their unrequited love in their "love-line."
It's all well and good with some actual plot cropping up when convenient. This anime has the cute moments to make me smile and perhaps remember some crushes I had around that age.

yea thats basically it... its why i didnt watch it again.