After Dark Weekly Anime Club! - DEVILMAN

Current and Classic Animation!
Ayuu
Otaku

After Dark Weekly Anime Club! - DEVILMAN

Postby Ayuu » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Decided (with the help of quite a few people) to create this thread as a sort of seasonal discussional but with older anime thread~ Basically we will be watching a show 2 episodes a week and will come here and chat about it! Everyone is welcome to participate. ^^

Refresh date will be Monday so first two episodes by the 7th, second two by the 14, etc etc.
This is going to kick off with Kill La Kill as the first show due to popular demand. ::peace::

It's legally streaming in a bunch of places~

crunchyroll - http://www.crunchyroll.com/kill-la-kill

Hulu - http://www.hulu.com/kill-la-kill

Netflix - https://www.netflix.com/title/70305217

Hope people can come along for the ride~ ::whistle::
Last edited by Ayuu on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: After Dark Weekly Anime Club! - Kill La Kill

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:40 pm

As a proprietor of the thread, I'll be in on this one

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:23 pm

A second watch-along (can never have too many!), but at a much slower pace, thank goodness (I wanted to follow along with the Death Parade one, but I fell behind fast). I'll definitely be participating in this one, seeing as how I haven't watched Kill la Kill yet.

This will be fun ^^

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Episode 1-2

Yep. I'm watching a Trigger show.

The stylish over-the-top animation that Trigger is known for is ever-present here. Not being a Trigger fanboy, even I can't deny that they have some amazing talent on that end. Of course, while it's pretty to stare at (and the action is GREAT), it's nothing to me without good characters/plot.

Thankfully, it delivered on that front. At least, in terms of characters. I don't really care for Satsuki, but I imagine I'll eventually warm up to her. I'm getting a kick out of Ryuuko though. Love her aggressive personality. And her scissor blade is badass.

Mako is already my favorite genki girl ever. Mako and her family are SUPER weird, but they lent a lot to the humor in these episodes, which has been fantastic. However, I don't see them providing much outside of comic relief.

All of the other characters have been cool, I guess. Their personalities are all really zany and contribute to the craziness of this show's world. The character designs themselves are quite the breath of fresh air too.

The story seems a little bare bones so far, but it's an adequate setup to get things started. I do like the world that the writers have set up. If not overdone by this point, it certainly has it's own personality, as most Trigger shows do. I came into this completely blind, so I'm still unsure about Ryuuko's end-game, but I suppose I'll just sit back and enjoy the fun until this show suddenly turns deep on me like Gurren Lagann.

Of course, I can't comment on this show without saying something about the fanservice, as it is clearly a major part of this show. I'll save my ginormous rant on this (I could go forever), but my main qualm with the fanservice in this case (and it's an issue I typically have), is that I don't see its purpose. I can't even argue that it adds to the humor (unlike in Keijo).

Kinda spoiler-y rant about fanservice in these 2 eps:
Spoiler:
But aside from not serving a purpose (you could argue that it doesn't have to), it just feels sophomoric. Like "Look! She's dressed like a stripper! LOLZ! Isn't that funny? Look how embarrassed she is!" In some cases, like that one scene with Mako upside down, it was just exploitative. But it tried to pass it off as funny. "Oh no! They'll see my panties! Should've wore the sexier ones." It wasn't. At least, not to me.

There was a similar scene with Ryuuko upside down and the camera lingers and pans. Granted, this isn't new when it comes to anime, but every time it happens I feel like i'm looking through the eyes of a creepy old man.

But of course, those bits are typical to anime and I could ignore them. However, there were more moments in these episodes that gave off gross, almost rape-y vibes (the uniform, Mako's dad, the homeroom teacher, the neighborhood kids, etc). And it's played like we're supposed to laugh it off, but it actually made me uncomfortable, which rarely happens.

Outside of that, i'm excited for future episodes. My expectations were set extremely high coming in, and while this show is what I've come to expect from Trigger, I have yet to see those expectations met. However, I will remain optimistic as this show is mostly well-regarded and has a huge fanbase. If a show is extremely popular, it's for a reason and usually not because it's terrible. But we shall see.
Last edited by thegenkiguy on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:59 pm

Episodes 1 and 2

This is my second time watching these two episodes. The first time I dropped the series right after as it just wasn't for me at the time. I enjoyed them a lot more this go around. Maybe I've just gotten more used to over the top anime.

Spoiler:
I hope it doesn't just keep following the formula of Ryuko coming to school to beat someone up, say two sentences to Satsuki and then run off because she lost too much blood. I feel like that will get old real fast.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Episodes 1 and 2

Man! that was a pretty fun ride. The whole show screams "epic." Reminds me of a really high action movie. The whole premise is absolutely ridiculous if you look at it closely but as long as you wink one eye it's enjoyable. ::pff::

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the fan service aspect either but it doesn't bother me that much, it's just part of the show and I'm sure it's going to continue throughout.

I surprisingly enjoyed Mako's character quite a bit. She is the definition of overly genki and I'm sure she will most likely begin to grate on my nerves but for now I like her unpredictable and constantly moving attitude. It's amusing to watch and I laughed out loud quite a few times like when she was hanging upside down over the oil and when she was with her insane family.

The overall story is difficult to judge at this point. The first two episodes felt sorta episodic with the one fight an ep and I hope that isn't the whole show's formula, Either way tho I'm having fun and looking forward to more! ::happy::

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:50 pm

1&2
Spoiler:
just like I remember I wasn't super fond of the first few episodes of this show, ryuko still has an amazing design and temper to her. Mako is comical, but still to much for my liking. The family is zaney and fun, the worlds standing in front of us... Don't lose your way!

Skeith165
Crazy About Anime

Postby Skeith165 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Episodes 1 and 2
Man, it's been a hot minute since I watched this one. Kill La Kill was too fast for me to read it and comprehend what was going on in it the first time I tried to watch it. I never finished it because of that, but it's a lot easier now.
Spoiler:
Still love Ryoko, still think Mako is annoying even though she has funny parts. DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Lookin' forward to more ::peace::

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Episodes 3-4

So the more "life fibers" there are in an outfit, the more powerful it is. The higher the star count, the more fibers. Senketsu is a "Kamui" which is apparently made 100% out of these fibers, so it's stronger than a 3-star Goku uniform. However, it is revealed that a Kamui shouldn't be able to be worn since wearing anything that contains 50%+ of these fibers causes the wearer to lose control.

Also, the justification for these Kamui making the wearer look like a prostitute is...? I mean, they technically told us this episode (through Satsuki's "exhibitionist" rebuttal to Ryuuko), but what they basically said was:

"I need to be half naked in order for the Kamui to function at full power (< doesn't explain anything), and in order for me to unlock the Kamui's full potential, I must not be ashamed of it (< still doesn't explain anything...).

But whatever. I get it. "Embrace your sexuality and own it." It's a fine commentary, that even Mako touches on in this episode, when she's giving the pep talk to Ryuuko (thought I have to disagree Mako. Satsuki has the better rack. And definitely the better booty xP). But it still doesn't justify the outfits looking that way. (Relatable Comic:)
Spoiler:

I'm not going to dwell on it any more though. I just thought it was worth commenting on since the show touched on it in these episodes. I guess I should be happy that they at least tried to give the outfits a narrative explanation. I suppose I could just compare it to Gurren Lagann and how willpower or fighting spirit! allowed for some ridiculous power-ups/combinations. xD

Moving on, it seems like the teacher is going to play more of an important role in the story than I had thought. Sounds like a cool team-up between him and Ryuuko, even though I still don't really like the guy. We'll see how this match-up plays into future episodes, if at all.

Episode 4 was full of shenanigans, and really caught me off guard. I have to admit I was laughing quite a bit though. The recurring gag with the dad, his son, and then the dog had me laughing out loud. I also really liked the "pseudo-homeroom" bit (poor bastards xD). The entire episode was super over-the-top, compared to the last 3. And the animation definitely reflected this. Felt very choppy and the character designs were very exaggerated for a good portion of the episode. It felt like I was watching Space Patrol Luluco again. Not a complaint though. I think it added to the humor. It was just different, is all.

Anywho, still enjoying myself. I want to say "I hope the story gets back on track in episode 5" but there isn't much of a story here to begin with xP In fact, it's a pretty weak setup now that I know basically how things are going to go. Y'know Satsuki, if you just tell the girl whether you killed her father or not, that'd make things a heck of a lot easier. But , of course, we've gotta battle through the mini-bosses before we get to the final boss, because video g- I mean, anime.

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Episodes 3 and 4
Spoiler:
gao! Episode 3 was on point! I really liked the fights and the interactions in this episode between Satsuki and Ryuko. Obviously there is more to this then Satsuki lets on. I’m personally interested in what the rest of Satsuki’s family is like…if her mother raised her she has got to be a trip… ::mischief::
I feel like in terms of the fan service aspect it’s done for the fans, don’t need to analyze it more than that. While I can see how it might be construed as some sort of social commentary I feel like that’s not the point here. Not really a knock on the show, I enjoy how over the top the clothes and the battles are (those are some huge shoulder pads!) but I can see how it would be a turn off for people and I don’t think I can fault anyone for that. ::shrug::

Episode 4 was…really funny. ::pff:: But the animation was nonexistent and the art was extremely sloppy. The whole episode was basically still frames being moved across the screen or some such nonsense. It just seemed really ugly to me. ::sigh:: I mean sure I admit it adds to the comedic aspect of the episode but…. there were points there that I wanted to shake my head and look away because it was so badly drawn. The proportions were completely wrong half the time even as a more cartoonish style, no one had any semblance of fingers, and even the facial features were off. It could have been much better drawn and animated and still been just as funny. At least it seemed like the people who made it had fun. :/ I hope we don’t have more full episodes done in this style. e.o;;