Overlooked Anime

Current and Classic Animation!
Tori
Super NEET II

Overlooked Anime

Postby Tori » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 am

Have you ever tried to recommend a show you really liked to someone, but because even though it might have really good characters, a great world or a fantastic story, the art or animation might not be the best, and because of this they refused to check it out? Did you wanna strangle them?... I know I have many times, and I'm sure you have as well. So why not share them here?

I wanted to create this thread where we could all come together and talk about anime that we thought, for some reason or another, was being overlooked. I wanna set a rule though, so as to avoid people just coming in here and dropping a title and leave. I want you to talk a little about the anime you think is overlooked. Say what you think is good about it and why you think it's overlooked. That's not to say you have to write a reivew or an in depth analysis or anything, but just talk a little about what you think the show does well,
Last edited by Tori on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Overlooked Anime

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am

But Tori you talk about those shows all the time ::peace::

A show I think should get way more love than it does

Welcome to the NHK,NHK ni Youkoso!

NHK is really something special, maybe not for the soundtrack or the art, but truly, Its one of my favorite series, however it is not for everyone. Not by a long shot. NHK deals with some really heavy themes; suicide, depression, addiction, anxiety, and obsessive tendencies. Honestly I don't really want to spoil anything for this gem of a series. A series that treats its audience as intelligent, knowledgeable and sympathetic. when this was written it was obviously written to play to people who could sympathize with Satou. Anyone who knows someone who's been to really dark places or has been themselves I can say this one is built for you. It'll show anyone that they aren't alone in the world. For that this series gets one of my very very few 10/10 ratings.

Edit- Not a review thread.
Last edited by Fullmetal-Senpai on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:19 pm

One I never see get mentioned is The Wallflower

Released in 2006 by Nippon Animation this is a 25 episode shoujo comedy.

It follows 4 handsome teenage boys who live on together in a mansion for free until their landlord tells them that unless they are able to turn her niece into a proper lady they will have to pay rent. Since none of the boys work this is a huge problem. They agree thinking it will be a piece of cake when they realize their landlord's niece is a gloomy, weird, horror movie maniac. Hijinks ensues.

I enjoyed this show quite a bit, all of the characters were good, I laughed quite a bit when I watched it and there weren't as many of the typical cliche episodes from what I can recall.

I think people might overlook it because the art isn't great and even looks older than it actually is.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Pokemon The Origin
Info- A 4 episode special made in 2013 by Production I.G, Xebec and OLM

Story- It follows exactly how the red and blue (and green) game does. Main character is Red and looks like him and the rival character is named blue (Technically)and looks just like him.
This has everything you wanted out of the original Pokemon Anime but never got.
It follows the games events and story perfectly and even how you battle in the games is reflected perfectly.

Characters- They are how you'd expect them to be from Pokemon. And Hardly anyone gets any screen time because its so short but I enjoyed seeing them all. No ones annoying so that's a plus.
Although the villains are pretty cheesy but that's just how pokemon is.

Animation/Artwork- It looks amazing! The battles have great animation and the designs are good.
I watched it awhile ago so I don't remember too much, but I do remember it looking really good.

Sound/Music- They use the same music from the 1st gen mostly. It feels so fun hearing the same game music when someone goes to a town, gym, etc. They even kept the Pokemon's voices how they should be. Charmander doesn't go "CHARCHAR" he growls like how you expect a Pokemon would, and I think its way better than how its done in the current Anime where they all somehow know their own names. Not sure if that's different in the sub version of Pokemon though. And speaking of subs, I highly recommend the dub. The voices fit the characters really well, pokemon sound great, and it has really good emotion.
(Even though Blue in the Anime is technically green because japan had green before blue but the west never got green so they don't translate it as green.....)

I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.
Its really fun seeing all the towns and events you visited in the game and done in adapted into an Anime really well. They cover so many things there is TONS of those moments where you go "I remember that!"
Unfortunately since its only 4 episodes they skip most of the game and just show the most important parts.
They usually show pictures of where they were, say what happened, and then rush forward to the big events like Team Rocket boss battle or some gyms.
Although I find the fast pacing to work really well with Pokemon in general.

Only negative in this Anime at all is that its only 4 episodes.
Its the perfect Pokemon Anime everyone wanted but you only get a small taste of it which really bites the dust.

EDIT: Forgot to add the most important part :O!

Why I think its overlooked: Its Pokemon, only a 4 episode special and no one really expects anything from the Anime series because the original one left a bad impression, its way too long or because you grew up and no longer find it fun.
I've never heard anyone mention it even though its a really well made Anime (Aside from the Sonic pacing T_T)

And surprisingly you can watch it on Hulu :D!
Last edited by SemiBolt on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:23 pm

SemiBolt wrote: really bites the dust.

you nearly gave me a sheer heart attack...
Spoiler:

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:40 am

I'm just gonna say this again, and the people in the OS discord knows this already, but this is not a review thread. We already have that. The point of setting up this thread was to have a place to discuss anime that we felt were being overlooked. If you wanna write a review about the show you're talking about, there is another thread dedicated to that.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:18 am

fullmetal_snorlax wrote:

Spoiler:

I'm the queen at making killer jokes. Skeith is the king for now >.>

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:55 pm

SemiBolt wrote:
fullmetal_snorlax wrote:

Spoiler:

I'm the queen at making killer jokes. Skeith is the king for now >.>

the Killer queen?

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:42 am

Great thread idea!

We've talked to death on the podcast, but worth throwing here as it was the first (and most recent) to come to mind.

Punch Line!
This series was quickly discarded by either the "EW PANTIES!" crowd, or the "THE HUMOR SUCKS!" crowds. However, I stuck with it for the fact that I knew MAPPA were not idiots.. well.. also because the characters were cute and I didn't mind seeing their pantsu.. *ahem*

But what came out of it was an amazing twist. The ecchi pretty much disappeared, the humor shifted, and the story got very serious very quickly. Strong emotion points, great twists, and great ending.

I'll probably throw more shows later on this thread as I really like the idea of, not so much hating haters, but playing the role as the wrongfully accused defendants!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Gonna throw Silver Spoon on here~ I feel this show is severely underrated and I so wish more people would watch it. I'm actually sort of shocked this show is not more popular as it's by the same mangaka as Full Metal Alchemist but...I guess the farming aspect maybe turns people off? I have only met a few people who have seen it.

This show is, in my opinion, one of the best examples of slice of life. It's funny and fun to watch while still holding true to the slice of life aspect by showing someone struggling to grow up in an agricultural school. The whole thing is very well draw and animated. The animals in it are as realistically portrayed as is humanly possible, you could tell the author took the time to study real animals before tackling this story. Not to mention the food looks more then good enough to eat.

I think it's a shame not to give Silver Spoon a go. I can't see any particular reason why someone would dislike the show, it's made in such a way that even if your not interested in farming you'll find yourself drawn into the stuff they are doing and feeling genuinely invested in what is going to happen.

As much fun as I'm currently having with No-Rin I so wish this had been picked in the watch along just so more people could be exposed to it.

P.S Someone please please please license the manga!! I want to own it and I can't understand why it hasn't been published in the U.S yet. ::anger::