Re;Quest The quest to watch old anime to present

Current and Classic Animation!
Tori
Super NEET II

Re: Re;Quest The quest to watch old anime to present

Postby Tori » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:16 am

fragoff wrote:Really eager for your take on space cobra. This show was one of those who made my childhood. It is great, even now.

I assume, because of the date, that you will watch the old serie, not the new one.

I'm really looking forward to getting into the 80s. The 70s has been pretty hit or mis for me so far.

And yes, I'm gonna be watching the old Space Cobra series from 1982.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:14 am

Future Boy Conan (1978)

We're nearing the end of the 70s on my quest. The second to last anime from the 70s that I was gonna watch was Mirai Shounen Conan or Future Boy Conan. Directed by highly acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki, I had hopes for the series, but I was not too excited as I'm not the biggest fan of Miyazaki. So with that in mind, would this end up being one of the good shows from the 70s, or would this be just another reason why I have not really enjoyed the 70s?

The backstory: In july of 2008, mankind was faced with the threat of extingction. A new weapon, far more devestating than any nuclear weapon destroyed half hte world in an instant. Humanity attempted to flee to outer space, but they failed. The spaceships were forced back to earth and many people lost their lives. However, one spaceship narrowly escaped destruction and crash-landed on a small island which had survived the devestation. The crew memebers settled on this island and started to rebuild. After years, a boy was born. He was a ray of light in the darkness of the annihilated earth.

The story: In the show we follow Conan. A boy who's been raised by his grandfather on a small island known as remnant island. They live their peaceful daily lives alone as the two sole survivers left on the island and possibly on earth. However, one day a young girl named Lana washes ashore. She claims to be from a place called High Harbour and that she is on her way to another place called Industria to save her grandfather. However just after Lana has recovered some people from Industria shows up and kidnaps her. Conan decides to try to get to Industria to save her and hopes that she can show him where High Harbour is.

First thing first, this show looks good. Just as I was with Yamato, I was shocked that this was a 70s shows. It looks nothing like it. The art and designs are good and the animation is good throughout the entire show. Thankfully though, the show is not just pretty to look at, it also has a pretty good story. I really enjoyed watching this show. It might be my favorite Hayao Miyazaki work besides Lupin. If you are a fan of Miyazaki you should really do yourself a favor and watch this show. I would honestly put this show up as a must watch for any anime fan.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am

Tori wrote:Future Boy Conan (1978)

I had hopes for the series, but I was not too excited as I'm not the biggest fan of Miyazaki.

First thing first, this show looks good. Just as I was with Yamato, I was shocked that this was a 70s shows. It looks nothing like it. The art and designs are good and the animation is good throughout the entire show. Thankfully though, the show is not just pretty to look at, it also has a pretty good story. I really enjoyed watching this show. It might be my favorite Hayao Miyazaki work besides Lupin. If you are a fan of Miyazaki you should really do yourself a favor and watch this show. I would honestly put this show up as a must watch for any anime fan.

You have no idea how happy it makes when someone enjoys a top tier show like this. I say it all the time that this show looks at least 10 years ahead of its time easily. I am in agreement with Conan and Lupin being my favourite Miyazaki works as well.
Favourite part in the show? like a scene or arc? spoiler tag of course.
Too-too-roo!
"We'll do some culture afterwards" -Macross (1982 Ep 36)