Re;Quest The quest to watch old anime to present

Current and Classic Animation!
Tori
Super NEET II

Re: Re;Quest The quest to watch old anime to present

Postby Tori » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:34 pm

I finished Katanagatari. I had heard a lot of great things about it, so I had high expectations going in to this one. I'm sad to say that it did not live up to all the hype I've been hearing. Now that's not to say that it's a bad show, cause I don't think it is, but I was expecting more from it. I honestly think my favorite parts of Katanagatari were when Nisio Isin would pop in some stabs at himself as a writer in it. Made for some pretty decent comedy. Other than that, I feel like the show had some decent interactions between character, however being a Nisio Isin work there is obviously lots of dialogue and I don't think White Fox managed to make a lot of the rather lengthy moments of exposition very interesting, not even visually. I mean we have a scene where Shichika and Togame are literally sitting in the desert talking for like a good 5-10 minutes and all we get are either shots of the desert or close ups of them. That said though, the ending was pretty good, though as far as characters are concerned I think the characters in Katanagatari are some of the weaker characters Isin had created, and that took a lot of the sting out of the final climax for me.

Up next on my quest is S1 of Bakuman.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:17 am

Just finished Bakuman S1. It was a really enjoyable watch and I liked it quite a bit. It's similar to Shirobako, but rather than being about people working at an anime studio, Bakuman is about two teenagers trying to become mangaka's and getting published in Shounen Jump. The only really negative thing I have to say about the first season is that the romance they put in isn't that great. It's nothing more than a plot device and it's treated as such all the way. Despite that it's still really good. If you're interested in manga, then I'd recommend giving this a shot.

Up next on my quest is Hourou Musuko.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 am

Tori wrote:Just finished Bakuman S1. It was a really enjoyable watch and I liked it quite a bit. It's similar to Shirobako, but rather than being about people working at an anime studio, Bakuman is about two teenagers trying to become mangaka's and getting published in Shounen Jump. The only really negative thing I have to say about the first season is that the romance they put in isn't that great. It's nothing more than a plot device and it's treated as such all the way. Despite that it's still really good. If you're interested in manga, then I'd recommend giving this a shot.

Up next on my quest is Hourou Musuko.

huh. I think I either skipped that one, or I dropped it. If I did, I don't know why. I have to go back myself and find out. It might have just flown under my radar when it came out

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 am

I finished Hourou Musuko. It's an anime I've seen pop up here and there, but for the most part it seems to have gone largely ignored. There's a simple reason for that. Hourou Musuko or Wandering Son is a simple tale. It's about being different to those around you. The way it goes about telling this story is by putting it in a middle school setting, and giving us a male protagonist who's experiencing gender dysphoria. He's a boy who wants to dress as a girl and wishes he was a girl. However, he's not alone. One of his best friends, who's also the girl he has a crush on prefers to dress as a boy and wishes she was a boy. You've also got a few other characters like their gay friend, a girl freespirited girl who acts and dresses however she wants, a girl who likes the main character but doesn't feel like she understands him as well as the others, and an older transexual. With this cast the show takes a look at gender roles and gender stereotypes, while also exploring what it's like to be truly different.

First thing I will say is that this show is definitely not everyones cup of tea. I was unsure of how I was gonna take to this show cause I have my opinions on the issue of gender dysphoria and they don't necessarily line up with the opinions of the people who does highlight this show. That said though, Hourou Musuko is not a bad show. If anything, I actually like the show for what it is. My biggest fear going in was that it was gonna be a piece on how everyone hates people with gender dysphoria and feel sorry for me themes, but thankfully it doesn't really do that at all. It instead focuses on someone who has to come to terms with the fact that he is different from the others, and that the playing rules for being male is different to that of being female. He also has to learn to accept that he is changing since he's going through puberty. So yeah, it's a show that manages to respectfully look at gender dysphoria while also looking at gender roles and gender stereotypes in our society without going too far in either direction, and I like it for that.

Up next on my quest is C The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 am

I just finished watching C The Money of Soul and Possibility Control. An interesting show about economics (never thought I would say that). Economics are definitely a hell of a lot more fun when you add action and humor to it. That said though, the show is a bit weird and the CG usage in the show is not exactly great, but it's still an enjoyable watch.

Up next on my quest is Nichibro's (Daily Life of High School Boys)
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Tori wrote:An interesting show about economics (never thought I would say that).

That's because they make certain it is not interesting, so you don't dig into it, understand it and realize how you and the people are getting scamed with it.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Finished Nichibro's (Daily Lives of High School Boys). A 12 episode comedy by studio Sunrise about... well.... the daily lives of high school boys. There isn't really that much to say about this show. There isn't really anything in terms of story or characters. It's just a pure comedy that goes from joke to joke, similarly to shows like Nichijou. But as far as I'm concerned, Nichibro's > Nichijou.

Up next on my quest is Tsuritama.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:28 am

Just watched a couple episodes of Tsuritama. Honestly not my cup of tea. The characters are way too annoying for me and the weird alien stuff is not doing anything for me. I'm also not a big enough fan of fishing for this to keep me interested.

Up next on my quest is The Devil is a Part Timer.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Tori wrote:Just watched a couple episodes of Tsuritama. Honestly not my cup of tea. The characters are way too annoying for me and the weird alien stuff is not doing anything for me. I'm also not a big enough fan of fishing for this to keep me interested.
That mirrors my experience with the show just about perfectly. I ended up dropping it after episode 3 or 4. Apparently, there's some really crazy twist coming towards the finale, but I wasn't interested enough to find out, myself.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:37 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Apparently, there's some really crazy twist coming towards the finale, but I wasn't interested enough to find out, myself.

I believe it. Kenji Nakamura makes some really interesting and weird shows, but for me this was his weakest show.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD