Re;Quest The quest to watch old anime to present

Current and Classic Animation!
Tori
Super NEET II

Re: Re;Quest The quest to watch old anime to present

Postby Tori » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am

The lastest show from my quest to be finished was Hataraku Maou-sama! or The Devil is a Part Timer. A show from 2013 about a demon lord who was driven from his world and ended up in Japan where he took up a part time job working at our favorite fast food resturant, Mg Ronalds. Sound weird? Well, it's a comedy so it makes sense. We follow our demon lord as he's faced with the challenge of integrating into society, not that it's really a problem for him, but we get to laugh at him being poor. We also get the crazy antics of the female hero who's followed him to Japan to slay him, but who's also ended up being stuck with a job. But when she's not working she's spying on our demon lord. Add in some random action scenes and a bit of what makes good and evil on top of the comedy and you have this show.

This anime was made by studio White Fox, and they did a pretty good job. The animation is above avarage for this type of show, and the effects work during the action scenes is quite nice. The direction and camera work could be a bit stale at times, but nothing bad enough to really complain about. The comedy worked sometimes, but I didn't really find it all that funny, but despite that I still think it's a good show. The premise is silly enough and it helps make even a lot of the mundane tasks like working at Mg Ronalds more interesting. There's even some light romance going on for those that are interested in that, as well as the obligatory harem joke.

Overall I think The Devil is a Part Timer was a fun show to watch. Being only 13 episodes long it's not a huge time investment either. Some episodes were better than others, and a few episodes I could have mostly done without, but it is what it is. It's a show that seemingly tries to be just a little bit of everything, even if it could have benefited more from focusing more on it's core aspect, whether that be action, or comedy, or romance, or whatever.

Up next on my quest is Nobunaga Concerto.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 am

I just finished Nobunaga Concerto. An anime from 2014. It goes into a long line of anime based on Oda Nobunaga, but what seperates this one from the others is that this one is not horrible. It's a bit of a comedic take on some of the history behind Oda Nobunaga as well as a little dig on people who think history has nothing to do with them. A high schooler gets sent back in time to the warring states period and ends up switching places with the real Oda Nobunaga. Not knowing much about history he has to try to recreate the events from history. At least he's got his history book with him.

Visually this show is interesting to look at, but I would not deem it a good looking show. The characters are rotoscoped and they have 2D anime faces plastered on the rotoscoped body. The characters don't really blend with the backgrounds and the visual clash is just more distracting than anything.

Overall though, I think this show is decent. I know a lot of people were really singing this shows praises when it was airing. I have to say that I don't quite agree with a lot of the praise, but that does not mean it's a bad show. It got a few chuckles out of me, and it got me interested in actually looking up a bit of the history behind Nobunaga, so I think the show did it's job. It is not the best history piece out there, but it's far from the worst.

Up next on my quest is When Marnie Was There.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 am

I just watched When Marnie Was There. The final feature length film by the renowned studio Ghibli. Directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, When Marnie Was There tells the tale of Anne, a young unsociable girl who lives with her foster parents due to the death of her parents. One day Anne has an asthma attack and on recommendation from the doctor she is sent out to the countryside to get some fresh air and recover. While she is there she ends up meeting a blond girl named Marnie. The two of them end up becoming each other's secret friends.

When Marnie Was There is a movie about self discovery and friendship. Anne is a lonly and unsociable girl who has trouble trusting anyone, and because of this she has developed quite a bit of self loathing. It's only when she meets Marnie that starts to learn about herself and the importance of not pushing everyone away.

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for quite some time. I'd heard lots about it before hand, but the only thing that kept me from going to it right away was that it was a studio Ghibli movie. Personally I'm not too big of a Ghibli fan, as they don't make a lot of movies that I'm interested in. That said I am planning to do a deep dive into studio Ghibli at a later point. But this movie I enjoyed quite a lot. Stepping away from the Miyazaki movies and trying something different was definitely worth it. When Marnie Was There was a nice watch with some underlying themes, but it never fell for the trap of trying to be too deep or too complex. It threads this nice middleground that I appreciate a lot. I like shows and movies that I can dig into and analyze, but I also like shows and movies that isn't trying to be more than it actually is.

Up next on my quest is The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls S1 and 2
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Ok. So it's been almost a year and a half since I started my quest. It's been a lot of fun and I've seen some really great shows along the way. Now that it's over though, I'm gonna share the stats I recorded during this quest.

70s anime stats:
Type of show: TV = 10
Number completed: 6
Number dropped: 4
Total episodes watched: 227
Overall score: 4,5/10

80s anime stats:
Type of show: TV = 5, Movie = 3, OVA = 5
Number completed: 12
Number dropped: 1
Total Episodes watched: 270
Overall Score: 6,3/10