Takuma Sato has won the Indy 500. Will we get a racing anime now?

Current and Classic Animation!
Neko
Jii-San

Takuma Sato has won the Indy 500. Will we get a racing anime now?

Postby Neko » Mon May 29, 2017 3:04 pm

I have not been able to find one auto racing anime (street racing DOES NOT COUNT). The closest thing I've seen is a Lupin III episode.

Will Takuma Sato's Indianapolis 500 victory spark interest in motorsports themed anime? Hope so!

Are there motorsports anime that I have missed?

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141006-sato-hopes-win-opens-door-for-japanese-drivers

Fullmetal-Senpai
I Bleed Anime

Re: Takuma Sato has won the Indy 500. Will we get a racing anime now?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon May 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Redline
Speed racer
Igpx
Capeta
Future gpx
F zero
And I know you said nothing street but the eurobeat forces me to say initial d
Join the WWWcast discord!
Join us here
Spoiler:
https://discord.gg/gU4VJjC

http://myanimelist.net/profile/beazleboss

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon May 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Redline
Speed racer
Igpx
Capeta
Future gpx
F zero
And I know you said nothing street but the eurobeat forces me to say initial d

Thanks for the list! Some reactions based on looking at trailers / episodes.

Hmm, Redline... To quote Tom Slick: "There's no shooting in auto racing, Marigold!" Looks interesting, though.

Speed Racer... There will always be speed racer. Is there a basketball or baseball, or soccer anime with a chimp? ;)

IPGX... That's mecha racing, not motor racing.

Capeta could work... If it were available.... There's a monkey... What's with the monkeys?

Future GPX... A little futuristic, little speed-racer-ish, but maybe

F Zero... nope

Initial D.... Cool and all, but if someone said they really liked the movie "Rush" or "Le Mans" and somebody recommended "Fast and the Furious" it really doesn't follow.

I guess I'm looking for the "Yuri on Ice" of motorsports anime. Maybe Sato will inspire something like that.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon May 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon May 29, 2017 8:11 pm

DestroyerGX wrote:Does this list help?

https://myanimelist.net/featured/1660/T ... cing_Anime

Thanks, looks like there are a couple in there!

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 am

I would have to say no. Indy 500 isn't really a huge worldwide pull as say the actually worldwide fanbase that is Formula 1. If a Japanese driver wins or even starts driving and making a name for him/her-self in F1 then I would say yes to a racing anime.

Other than that, Initial D is where it is at for racing anime (TV).
Too-too-roo!
"We'll do some culture afterwards" -Macross (1982 Ep 36)

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 pm

DieSchlachten wrote:I would have to say no. Indy 500 isn't really a huge worldwide pull as say the actually worldwide fanbase that is Formula 1. If a Japanese driver wins or even starts driving and making a name for him/her-self in F1 then I would say yes to a racing anime.

The Indy car series is a bigger deal internationally that you would think. Here are the top 10 finishers on Sunday:

1. Takuma Sato..............Japan
2. Helio Castroneves........Brazil
3. Ed Jones....................Great Britain
4. Max Chilton.................Great Britain
5. Tony Kanaan...............Brazil
6. Juan Pablo Montoya.......Columbia
7. Alexander Rossi.............United States
8. Marco Andretti.............United States
9. Gabby Chaves...............Columbia
10. Carlos Munoz...............Columbia

phpBB [video]

The Japanese sportscasters seems pretty jazzed about it, it was the lead story on the Japan Times Sports page, So it actually is a kinda big deal. Along with the GP of Monaco, and the 24 hours du Mans, the 500 is part of the triple crown of motorsport. The only driver to have won the Triple Crown, BTW, is Graham Hill of Britain.
Other than that, Initial D is where it is at for racing anime (TV)

We're in poor shape, then ::terrible::

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Neko wrote:
DieSchlachten wrote:I would have to say no. Indy 500 isn't really a huge worldwide pull as say the actually worldwide fanbase that is Formula 1. If a Japanese driver wins or even starts driving and making a name for him/her-self in F1 then I would say yes to a racing anime.

The Indy car series is a bigger deal internationally that you would think. Here are the top 10 finishers on Sunday:

You 100% missed what I was saying. The keyword was fanbase. The fanbase in Indy is very much mostly to the United States of America. Sure, the drivers in Indy are basically F1 drivers on their side-job, but that doesn't make the fanbase international. F1 is the king of racing and until a Japanese driver makes it there, then it really won't make much of a difference.
Too-too-roo!

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:10 am

DieSchlachten wrote:
You 100% missed what I was saying. The keyword was fanbase. The fanbase in Indy is very much mostly to the United States of America.

And this is why baseball never took off in Japan ::mischief::

Seriously though, I actually do get what you are saying. But buzz is buzz, and Sato has brought motorsports to the front pages of Japan's newspapers, sports blogs, etc.

Besides, with Anime about Kabuki, Yosekoi, Karuta, baking bread, building plastic models, etc, I think it's fallacious to insist that something needs a huge fanbase for an anime to be produced. It's definitely a bunch of niche markets.

I mentioned a Yuri on Ice of motorsports. This globetrotting type story would almost have to be centered around F1. My hope was that the buzz created by Sato might get some people thinking it's time for a proper racing anime. Just by virtue of the amount of attention Sato has brought to racing.

But thanks for stomping on my hopes and dreams, anyway, appreciate it! ::happy::

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 am

Neko wrote:
DieSchlachten wrote:
You 100% missed what I was saying. The keyword was fanbase. The fanbase in Indy is very much mostly to the United States of America.

And this is why baseball never took off in Japan ::mischief::

Seriously though, I actually do get what you are saying. But buzz is buzz, and Sato has brought motorsports to the front pages of Japan's newspapers, sports blogs, etc.

But thanks for stomping on my hopes and dreams, anyway, appreciate it! ::happy::

I love stomping on dreams. What you bring up in terms of a bunch of niche' sports anime does bring the slight possibility of a racing anime in the future. However, I don't believe F1 is niche' enough in Japan, nor would I believe someone would take the risk on a racing anime these days. But who knows as you said. Could make it a pretty boy anime or something more legit in terms of Initial D-like. I would love to see one for sure.
I still honestly believe it just wouldn't happen until F1 becomes popular like Baseball in Japan.
Too-too-roo!