Character design pet peeves

Current and Classic Animation!
Star-K
Anime Junky

Re: Character design pet peeves

Postby Star-K » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:17 am

Ok, I have a big pet peeve with certain characters in shows Doga Kobo works on.
First off, yea I love the show they make, it's always fun to watch and it's generally a very cute show which I enjoy, but the studio always has that character that bugs the heck out of me.

Case and point:
Spoiler:
Three Leaves Three Colors- Teru
She was always picking on Serina and would always come out on top and I had to watch my favorite character be messed with every episode.

Gabriel Dropout- Main Character and other angel girl
They were always picking on Satanya (my favorite character) both verbally and fiscally and it got annoying seeing every episode, to the point were I just dropped the whole show entirely.

Yuru Yuri- Kyoko
I could not stand her the first season, she was annoying and selfish for most of the series.

Love Lab- Mizushima
I just started watching the first 3 episodes like 2 hours ago and I saw it was made by Doga Kobo and I was already worried by the 2th episode, and surprise-surprise there she is, she's picking on my favorite character, she's manipulative, and to top it off she's greedy.

I could love these shows so much more but this studio always copy's and paste the same annoying character to each show and makes them apart of the main cast.
Sorry for the negativity but I've been holding this for a while and Love Lab was the breaking point (-_-)
Last edited by Star-K on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 am

For me, it's definitely oversized breasts. You can probably imagine that Sekirei was really pushing it for me...
Fortunately, most shows have, if any, only one or two characters of such questionable proportions. Case in point, the cattle girl from No-Rin. Ugh... This type of design just makes me want to ignore these characters and deny their entire existence.

However, I'm pretty much cool with pretty much anything else. I don't mind huge eyes, and I think fangs are adorable, as well ^_^.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Haha, another in the "chillout on the opai" club. ::mischief::

Star-K wrote:Ok, I have a big pet peeve with certain characters in shows Doga Kobo works on.
First off, yea I love the show they make, it's always fun to watch and it's generally a very cute show which I enjoy, but the studio always has that character that bugs the heck out of me.

Hehe, understand your frustration, but keep in mind that this is not Dogo Kobo's fault technically. These are all from source material that have these character in them. It's not necessarily them copy and pasting it, rather it being them adapting the content as it is. I'd lean more towards similarities that are caused by popular tropes for slapstick comedy writing.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Star-K
Anime Junky

Postby Star-K » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Andrew wrote:Hehe, understand your frustration, but keep in mind that this is not Dogo Kobo's fault technically. These are all from source material that have these character in them. It's not necessarily them copy and pasting it, rather it being them adapting the content as it is. I'd lean more towards similarities that are caused by popular tropes for slapstick comedy writing.

Yea, I know their adapting source material, so they can't take all the blame, I was just frustrated at the time, but to be fair, I only notice it with Doga Kobo.