Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Current and Classic Animation!
User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Yeah, Misae's story... The first true taste of After Story, playing my feels like a fiddle.
Spoiler:
Those final moments during the festival and after Tomoya wakes up and realizes who this cute kitten really is brought tears to my eyes... many tears ::panic2::.
It was one of those bittersweet scenes which leave you unsure whether you should feel happy or sad.


I teared up the first few times, but not after. Still, it left a lump in my throat the rest of the times; it was that well-done.
Image

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:23 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
DestroyerGX wrote:The next arc of Clannad Afterstory was a good one, with the Sunohara sibilings.
To be honest, I wasn't exactly impressed with this particular arc - until its conclusion came around in full force (quite literally, too).
Spoiler:
Youhei's redemption when arriving just in time for the brawl alongside Tomoya was pretty awesome. The most powerful moment, however, came afterwards, when the two of them were fighting and Sunohara yelled "I let it go because it was you, damnit!". I genuinely hadn't figured him out myself the first time I watched, so this really hit me - and single-handedly lifted the guy from 'comedic goofball' to 'Now I'm miserable reading the VN because I don't want Tomoya to put him through all this crap.' Either way, it was a pretty incredible way to end the arc for me.



It was good for the anime to lay off a bit on playing pranks on Sunohara, although most of the time he deserved it.
Image

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't cry anymore at Miyazawa's arc, but it still leaves lump in my throat. KyoAni adapted it well, I thought, from the VN.

Spoiler:
Tomoya helping to reconcile two gangs at war for Miyazawa's sake was excellent. And the part when both sides finally stopped to pray Kazuto's grave was the clincher. We also get more explanation about the orbs of light, which will play a key role in this story.
Image

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm

I didn't expect that the very next episode after Miyazawa's arc would start the first of many "ugly cries."

Spoiler:
Nagisa's little Christmas party with her family and friends, Tomoya's outburst to Nagisa after graduating at the climax of remembering all that they went through. You could really feel Tomoya's feelings


What an excellent series. I just can't stress it enough, since it is my top favorite, even after all the other excellent animes I have seen since.
Image

User avatar
BlueSpark
Anime Junky
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 am

DestroyerGX wrote:KyoAni adapted it well, I thought, from the VN.
That's interesting – if by "well," you mean "closely," I actually had quite a different impression.
Spoiler:
Didn't the anime invent the whole Youhei-posing-as-Yukine's-brother setup from scratch? And the gang hideout? At least I can't remember those making an appearance in the VN. As far as I recall, the story there went straight from school to the cemetery.

On the other hand, the anime didn't put nearly as much emphasis on their frequent meetings in the second library (understandable since it would've demanded too much focus which the first season had to dedicate elsewhere).
Either way, this story arc didn't feel as emotionally impactful to me. If anything, I slightly preferred the resolution in the VN. But the anime brought some good Sunohara humor (Yes, I was fine with it for the most part) and rainbow bread to the table! Can't argue with that 8-).
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 am

BlueSpark wrote:
DestroyerGX wrote:KyoAni adapted it well, I thought, from the VN.
That's interesting – if by "well," you mean "closely," I actually had quite a different impression.
Spoiler:
Didn't the anime invent the whole Youhei-posing-as-Yukine's-brother setup from scratch? And the gang hideout? At least I can't remember those making an appearance in the VN. As far as I recall, the story there went straight from school to the cemetery.

On the other hand, the anime didn't put nearly as much emphasis on their frequent meetings in the second library (understandable since it would've demanded too much focus which the first season had to dedicate elsewhere).
Either way, this story arc didn't feel as emotionally impactful to me. If anything, I slightly preferred the resolution in the VN. But the anime brought some good Sunohara humor (Yes, I was fine with it for the most part) and rainbow bread to the table! Can't argue with that 8-).


Oh, no, I didn't mean as in following faithfully the VN, but more like fitting it for the anime (since I myself can't think of a way Miyazawa's arc in the VN could be faithfully adapted into the anime). But yeah, this arc hit me a bit the first three times or so I watched it, and even now it still gives a lump in my throat.
Image

User avatar
BlueSpark
Anime Junky
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 am

DestroyerGX wrote:Oh, no, I didn't mean as in following faithfully the VN, but more like fitting it for the anime
Oh, OK, gotcha. I can see there are some parts in this arc with the potential to hit the viewer pretty hard - it just didn't do it for me (not as much, anyways).

DestroyerGX wrote:I didn't expect that the very next episode after Miyazawa's arc would start the first of many "ugly cries."

Spoiler:
Nagisa's little Christmas party with her family and friends, Tomoya's outburst to Nagisa after graduating at the climax of remembering all that they went through. You could really feel Tomoya's feelings
To be shamefully honest, even having watched Clannad 3 or 4 times (I lost count...), I don't remember that part very well at all.

The first thing in the main arc which really grabbed me was seeing Nagisa regularly come over to Tomoya's place to fix him up some dinner. I thought, "Oh wow, that's so sweet - they're like a young married couple! Never seen that in an anime before".

For me, the first moment which opened the floodgates was the proposal scene. People are such beautiful messes and can prop each other up when they're at their lowest...

DestroyerGX wrote:What an excellent series. I just can't stress it enough, since it is my top favorite, even after all the other excellent animes I have seen since.
I know the feeling ;). It's the same for me with ef - I've found many other magnificent animes over the years, but I still admire the Tale of Memories with all my heart.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 pm

BlueSpark wrote:The first thing in the main arc which really grabbed me was seeing Nagisa regularly come over to Tomoya's place to fix him up some dinner. I thought, "Oh wow, that's so sweet - they're like a young married couple! Never seen that in an anime before".

For me, the first moment which opened the floodgates was the proposal scene. People are such beautiful messes and can prop each other up when they're at their lowest...


I also opened the floodgates here. The points leading up to these things was very well done too.

Spoiler:
Yoshino's past as a rock singer until his career end due to drugs, and all through that Kouko Ibuki never gave up on him. And seeing Naoyuki in that state was sad to me. I also felt Tomoya's pain very well: I understood him, even though it was wrong for him to show such antagonism to his father. I loved Nagisa's strong personality here, in supporting Tomoya so much. She kept him from being too much alienated from his father, without any hope of recovering their love.


The episode after the proposal was the third time I broke down in tears.

Spoiler:
Nagisa's graduation was such a tearjerker. Seeing all her friends, who then sprang that surprise on her. Her speech to all of them. It was such a beautiful scene. I know a little criticism that in the series there is no kissing between Nagisa and Tomoya shown, but it's episodes like this that I believe make kissing unnecessary [although I know there was kissing in the VN]
Image

User avatar
BlueSpark
Anime Junky
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 am

DestroyerGX wrote:
Spoiler:
Yoshino's past as a rock singer until his career end due to drugs, and all through that Kouko Ibuki never gave up on him.
Agreed, that backstory was very touching. It didn't come to mind for me because the Tomoya/Nagisa (and later Ushio) relationship practically eclipsed everything else past episode 8 for me.

DestroyerGX wrote:
Spoiler:
I loved Nagisa's strong personality here, in supporting Tomoya so much. She kept him from being too much alienated from his father, without any hope of recovering their love.
Right, that was pretty important. Especially in light of the later events in episode 18 and 19 where another nudge by a well-meaning relative allows Tomoya to truly come around. The whole scene in his father's house left me a sobbing mess (I believe the anime also plays "The Place Where Wishes Come True" in the background during it). That and Tomoya's own character growth as a father are the reasons Clannad is, to me, by far the most impressive anime regarding parent-child bonding (Although, as a disclaimer, I haven't seen Usagi Drop).
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Thread on All Key Anime (adaptations and originals)

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
DestroyerGX wrote:
Spoiler:
Yoshino's past as a rock singer until his career end due to drugs, and all through that Kouko Ibuki never gave up on him.
Agreed, that backstory was very touching. It didn't come to mind for me because the Tomoya/Nagisa (and later Ushio) relationship practically eclipsed everything else past episode 8 for me.

DestroyerGX wrote:
Spoiler:
I loved Nagisa's strong personality here, in supporting Tomoya so much. She kept him from being too much alienated from his father, without any hope of recovering their love.
Right, that was pretty important. Especially in light of the later events in episode 18 and 19 where another nudge by a well-meaning relative allows Tomoya to truly come around. The whole scene in his father's house left me a sobbing mess (I believe the anime also plays "The Place Where Wishes Come True" in the background during it). That and Tomoya's own character growth as a father are the reasons Clannad is, to me, by far the most impressive anime regarding parent-child bonding (Although, as a disclaimer, I haven't seen Usagi Drop).


I watched Usagi Drop, and that was a pretty good anime; I definitely recommend it (though the manga going beyond the anime story goes a route I definitely hate).

Ep. 16 and 18 were the pivotal points. Ep. 16's main point was of course a tragedy.

Ep. 18 gave me the longest cry I ever had in any episode, and I've seen quite a bit of raw emotional scenes; it's probably the best episode of any anime series I've seen.

Spoiler:
The events leading to Tomoya's reconciliation with Ushio was done very well. Tomoya's recollection of his childhood with his widowed father caused the floodgates to fall. And then after the reconciliation, on the train, Tomoya's recollection of Nagisa caused more tears.
Image