Watch along: Kill-La-Kill

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Female-led Action-adventure shall we watch?

Rose of Versailles (40 eps CR)
20%
Kill-La-Kill (24 eps CR)
40%
Noir (26 eps FN)
10%
Mitchiko & Hatchin (22 eps FN)
30%

Total votes: 10

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Watch along: Kill-La-Kill

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 am

Ep9
I was really digging Gamagori recently.. then the masochistic suit happened. Hah....

Didn’t think we’d already be going down the line of the elite, but wouldn’t surprise me if they side track from this tournament at some point.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Andrew wrote:Ep9
I was really digging Gamagori recently.. then the masochistic suit happened. Hah....

Didn’t think we’d already be going down the line of the elite, but wouldn’t surprise me if they side track from this tournament at some point.

You're still watching! (yay)

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:49 am

Andrew wrote:Didn’t think we’d already be going down the line of the elite, but wouldn’t surprise me if they side track from this tournament at some point.
The temptation to spoil is big, but I shall contain myself 8-).

Neko wrote:You're still watching! (yay)
Let's hold off on our excitement until Nudist Beach enters the picture... That might become another hurdle ;).

Episode 10 (I've fallen a day behind now, but I guess it's not a big deal)

Inumuta is an interesting fella. Considering this is anime, I was surprised his little Pokedex device didn't display Ryuko's height, bust size and blood type :P. Also, was anyone else weirded out by how he almost bends like a contortionist while typing on his arms?

The fight was over much faster than expected, honestly; and we're treated to another battle in the same episode. It put me in kind of a tough spot, because I felt compelled to root for Jakuzure. Why? Because she's voiced by Sarah Williams, and I love her voice to death :>.

In the end, it turns out the elegant lady musician has quite a temper – and a foul mouth, to boot. Seems like a perfect match for Ryuko in that regard :P.

Aaand there's another golden line in the episode preview: "A girl with her name on her eyepatch has got to be insane!" :D. Oh Senketsu, you brilliant comedian. Mako called it in episode 5.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 am

Ya'll don't give me enough credit.. well.. nevermind.. I did drop it some 3-4 times.

Ep10
I'm not a Mako fan at all, but got a kick out of the growing sideline cheer squad ("observers") Wanted to see Mako and Gamagori duke it out non-star style.

Didn't care for Inumuta. Felt like a waste and very standard fare for "nerd hacker". At least they moved on into Jakuzure quickly. Tough doesn't seem like that will last long with Senketsu "evolving" and Tsumugu on the way.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Ep11
Always puzzled as to why such a talented studio would rely on panning stills and shifting stills of characters so much. Even when I’m doing my best to ignore repeating animations over and over in fights.

New cast arrivals that are mad OP, time to shift from OP MC to underdog story again. Like Nui’s character design though. Nice change of pace to mostly ugly character designs. Speaking of which... rainbow hair...

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Andrew wrote:Ep11
Always puzzled as to why such a talented studio would rely on panning stills and shifting stills of characters so much. Even when I’m doing my best to ignore repeating animations over and over in fights.

I think it's an aesthetic/directorial choice. I think it works really well here. On the other hand, An episode of KLK has SO MUCH MORE DRAWING than your average anime. In a lot of shots the entire environment is animated frame-by-frame Windsor McKay style, they might need a break every now and then.

But panning over stills is not always a shortcut, it's sometimes a more effective way to get the visual information across.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:14 am

Andrew wrote:Ep10
I'm not a Mako fan at all, but got a kick out of the growing sideline cheer squad ("observers") Wanted to see Mako and Gamagori duke it out non-star style.
I'll say – Mako challenging Gamagori to fight and swinging her arms like a boxer sure was good for a laugh :D.

Episode 11

I'm with Andrew regarding the funny dynamic of the motley bunch on the ringside (uhm... stadiumside? school-courtyardside?) bench. Inumata opening the zipper of his sweater just to gasp! was hilarious, too ^_^.

I noticed Trigger is really laying the ecchi on thick in some scenes of the Jakuzure battle. Wild boob jiggle due to soundwaves totally counts as immersive and plot-related, right?

Andrew wrote:Speaking of which... rainbow hair...
Yup, Mrs. Rainbowmane finally makes an appearance. Wonder if anyone has ever seriously attempted to cosplay her? I'll have to do some googling later...

I liked the dramatic reveal at the end of the episode. Shocker! Let's see how furious Ryuko can actually get.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:23 am

Neko wrote:
Andrew wrote:Ep11

I think it's an aesthetic/directorial choice. I think it works really well here. On the other hand, An episode of KLK has SO MUCH MORE DRAWING than your average anime. In a lot of shots the entire environment is animated frame-by-frame Windsor McKay style, they might need a break every now and then.

But panning over stills is not always a shortcut, it's sometimes a more effective way to get the visual information across.

I have to agree with you on that one. Nothing of what that anime shows us as been done without strong decision making and planing.
I could even argue that the blatant reuse of action scenes was made on purpose for this orcestra of the ridicule.
No. Imo, the director didn't cheat.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:15 pm

I don’t mind the panning stills for facial intensity. I can give them credit there.. I can also agree that they need a break now and then. However, I won’t agree that repeated gif-like attacking is done for any reason but to allow for easier combat animation filling while still keeping up intensity.

Ep12:
Finally get answers but yet Ryuuko is still pulled by the carrot by Satsuki.

Mako actually got a laugh out of me this round. Almost a “people die when they are killed” argument by the peanut gallery.

Kind of starting to hook me finally. Funny because I was remembering a lot from last episode that I started to wonder how far I got in at some point.

Btw, am I getting ahead? The 4th is episode 13?

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:40 am

Episode 12

Nui's quite a fun character, to be honest - the posterchild for the adage "looks can be deceiving." Also, she should be Chris's favorite for this series, right? Right ;)?

When I asked how furious Ryuko could become in my last post, I wasn't imagining this (didn't remember it from my first watch-through, either). Gotta say, monster Senketsu was not a pretty sight. I don't think the male Mankanshoku's would enjoy peeping at her in that condition :P.

Love how nonchalantly Mako talks about her dad's... business practices. A Little blood loss never hurt anyone, did it? Oh, that's right - it kills people. Eh, no big deal.

I wonder when teacher guy and Tsumugu had the time to plant all those explosives, especially the ones beneath the ground in the courtyard. Then again... applying logic to Kill la Kill is bound to cause major headaches. Best to refrain from scrutinizing and simply roll with it 8-).

As for overblown ridiculousness in this episode, behold Mako's face-slapping barrage. Beating some sense into Ryuko quite literally worked :D.

Andrew wrote:Btw, am I getting ahead? The 4th is episode 13?
You're good. I'm 1 day behind on my posts.