Watch along: Kill-La-Kill

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Female-led Action-adventure shall we watch?

Rose of Versailles (40 eps CR)
20%
Kill-La-Kill (24 eps CR)
40%
Noir (26 eps FN)
10%
Mitchiko & Hatchin (22 eps FN)
30%

Total votes: 10

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Watch along: Kill-La-Kill

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 am

Neko wrote:Funny, I haven'e seen any ::mischief::

In a sea of increasingly sterile character designs, I'm finding KLK very refreshing.
Personally, I find the character designs themselves just fine in Kill la Kill. The getups, on the other hand, are... debatable. To me, they're OK for the most part, but again, the aesthetic aspects of animes don't much faze me either way. I can see them rubbing people the wrong way, though.

Episode 17

Oohh, so that's how those stadium seats were arranged in the earlier tournament. Glad to see at least this mystery solved :P.

It's cool to see Ryuko show more and more of the multi-faceted character hidden underneath her usual loud and foul-mouthed brashness. She's actually pretty reasonable and deeply caring when it comes to the Mankanshokus and particularly Senketsu.

Speaking of caring (Oh snap, I did it again - have a segue, why don'tcha?), it looks like selling out Mako for a plate of tasty food is A-OK for her parents. What a perfect picture of a loving family (Well, we pretty much knew what to expect from them since episode 7).

... aaand Mako herself is still sleeping through it all XD. I swear, nothing can shake that girl. (I mean, she challenged Gamagori to a fistfight... 'nuff said)

Nui's remark of how Satsuki and her mother were cut from the same cloth was quite an exquisite treat for your resident wordplay connaisseur (that's referring to me, if anyone was wondering). Once again, I wonder how the subbed version handled it.

And to wrap it up, we're presented what is probably the biggest plot twist in the series. Matricide for teh win! Ironically, striking down her own flesh and blood in a rather gory manner seems completely in character for Satsuki (Yes, that's another jab of mine. Did I mention yet that I don't like her :P?).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am

Oops, I'm getting behind. I blame Fate/Gudaguda Order..

Episode 16:
Thought it was going to be an entire episode of recap lol.. well played Trigger.

Extreme info dump! But I think they handled it really well.

Interesting scene with Satsuki and mama.. Wonder how many people gave that a pass while throwing bombs at WorldEnd?
::mischief::

I wasn't really expecting too grand of an overarching story, but still a cool idea in the end. Threads evolving humanity. Easy way to throw a wrench into Senketsu's motivation.

BlueSpark wrote:
Neko wrote:Funny, I haven'e seen any ::mischief::

In a sea of increasingly sterile character designs, I'm finding KLK very refreshing.

Personally, I find the character designs themselves just fine in Kill la Kill. The getups, on the other hand, are... debatable. To me, they're OK for the most part, but again, the aesthetic aspects of animes don't much faze me either way. I can see them rubbing people the wrong way, though.

Let me correct myself. It's not so much character designs (because I dig the variety a lot), but rather costume design (or lack there of). I'm just not a fan of extreme wedgies and overly revealing outfits. At the same time there's some really cool ones like with most of the elite 4s.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 am

Andrew wrote:Interesting scene with Satsuki and mama.. Wonder how many people gave that a pass while throwing bombs at WorldEnd?
::mischief::
I swear, some people call me quick to be offended when someone throws out a "wth u doing n00b?" in an online game. But this? I didn't even bat an eyelid (Yeees, I know, it's apples and oranges, but still...). It's just like with the homoerotic scenes in From the New World: There's nothing too "in-your-face" about it and it flows smoothly in the context of the story.
Then again, this might just be the German mentality rubbing off on me. Many of my countrymen would have been much more offended by the amount of blood gushing out of Ragiou after Satsuki's attack than by their little bath-time scene.

Episode 18

I legit did not remember Ragiou's experiments from my first watch-through. That's pretty sickening stuff... She'd have no trouble holding a candle to Shou Tucker.

The English dub calls Ragiou's control technique "mind stitching." Personally, I would prefer "brain shackles" (Yes, that's an expression I came up with, and I'm fond of it :P), but I get that references to clothing are paramount for this series.

So... Ryuko's red-colored strand of hair just turned around, reached into her skull and cut Ragio's threads? Well played, Kill la Kill. I thought you couldn't surprise me any more. How wrong I was.

I know that "Don't Lose Your Way" is a fan favorite from this show's soundtrack. I've never been too enthusiastic about it, myself; but when Ryuko powered up for her battle with Nui, the meaning/message of it lined up nicely with the event about to unfold: Don't let yourself get carried away by your emotions and turn into a monster again. That was neat.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

Halfway through Ep17:
Agree with others that I like how they are throwing multiple sides to these characters finally. Seeing more about Tsumugu and seeing more than just an angry Ryuuko is great.

In the end, Tsumugu is tsundere.

BlueSpark wrote: ::peace::

Geeze, I can't say I'm surprised as it's similar to Steam blocking adult visual novels (and now links to uncensorship patches), yet having extremely violent and gore ridden games. I'd say it's odd to see they are reversed to our standards, but I know it's probably a culture thing.

Not sure if you think I'm offended, because I'm not. I was more making the WorldEnd reference as they are similar in context. Satsuki was undergoing a purification ceremony and the mother was assisting in that. Which was exactly what the massages were in WorldEnd. I just chuckle a little when I hear one demonized and not another, it's nothing against people who find it offensive or not. Different things rub people wrong at different times (no pun intended).

I agree on the context making all the difference though. I personally applaud when there's reason for what something is. Like Erased when the mom baths with the girl, there's a reason. When From the New World has its intimate scenes, it's part of that world. Intention is always up in the air from the artist, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Andrew wrote:Not sure if you think I'm offended, because I'm not.
No, no, I didn't take it like that. I was simply referring to the "bombs" you mentioned, because that reminded me of the situation in FtNW. Some people are so quick to cry "oversexualization!" when that's clearly not what the scene is about.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 am

I think the context of Ragyo's relationship with her Satsuki is that of violation. From the bath scene, to the more obvious later scenes, it's about exertion of power.

But where would anime be without parents torturing and exploiting their children? ::mischief::

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 am

Ep17
The epic betrayal we all knew was coming!!

Lol at DTR.

BlueSpark wrote:No, no, I didn't take it like that. I was simply referring to the "bombs" you mentioned, because that reminded me of the situation in FtNW. Some people are so quick to cry "oversexualization!" when that's clearly not what the scene is about.

Ah, gotcha. Just making sure I wasn’t mistook.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Episode 19

Well, at this point, Gamagori is leaving little doubt that Mako is special to him. What would possess a man to fall for such a nutcase? Love is a mysterious beast.

Exploding the entire stadium, eh Satsuki? Whatever gets the job done. I doubt that girl knows the meaning of "overboard".

Once again I realize that I'm a sucker for time skips in anime. The almost post-apocalyptic feel here is rather intriguing. And it leads to an unlikely alliance - who would've guessed the Elite Four and Nudist Beach would ever team up?

Oh, and the new setting brought us another treat. Jakuzure as a sexy rebel? I can dig it 8-).

So Ryuko and Satsuki are actually sisters - the plot thickens!
I found the transformation of their dad a little hard to buy, but hey, this is Kill la Kill... At this point it's just whatever :P.

I don't quite get Ryuko's logic in the final scene. Why would she reject Senketsu if she's "the same as him"? Shouldn't that just be all the more reason to stick together?

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:20 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 19

I don't quite get Ryuko's logic in the final scene. Why would she reject Senketsu if she's "the same as him"? Shouldn't that just be all the more reason to stick together?

Thinking the same, but i just finished Gundam Wing, so any sort of logic behind motivations is just... I don't know....

I guess we'll find out in the next exciting episode!

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:05 am

Episode 20

Ryuko clad in her rag coat reminded me so much of Messiah from From the New World: Alone, lumbering, menacing and full of rage. And later on, fighting the bad fight unwittingly, her powers shamelessly exploited by an evil schemer.

Ugh... Satsuki's sharp toenail (and the sound of it scratching against the stone floor) gave me shivers. Seems to be par for the course for her, though.

Surprised to see Mr. McPimp being on team Nudist Beach, too. Guess all his money was good for something, after all.

The dub calls the flagship the "Naked Soul," and 5 seconds later, the subtitle introduces it as the "S.S. Naked Sun." Make up your mind, please :P!