Watch along: Darker than Black

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Studio Bones anime should we watch? Votes will be tallied once we exceed 9 votes

Un-Go 11 episodes, CR
15%
Norigami (season 1) :12 episodes, CR, FN
31%
Scrapped Princess :24 episodes CR, FN
15%
Darker than Black: 24 episodes? AS, FN, HL
38%

Total votes: 13

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Re: Watch along: Darker than Black

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Episode 1

I like the different prices the contractors have to pay for their powers. Looking forward to finding out how that works.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Ep. 1

That was intriguing. I think this will be a good series.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 am

Episode 2

Only the 2nd episode, and it already threw me for a loop. It seemed increasingly odd how the MC just went with the flow of eloping with Chiaki. His remark that "They've seen my face. They'll come looking for me eventually," combined with this 'quick thinking' in episode 1, suggested that he had a background as a secret agent or something of the sort. And sure enough, the tail end of the episode confirmed as much.

This also explains how he repeatedly ran into her seemingly 'by accident' in ep 1. And just like that, my question of whether Chiaki would take the lead role in the series has been answered rather swiftly :P.

I did enjoy the comedic banter between the two in the restaurant as a welcome reprieve from the otherwise serious tone. On the flipside, I'm decidedly not a fan of the (very mellow) ED song.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I like the different prices the contractors have to pay for their powers. Looking forward to finding out how that works.
I'm with you on this one – the weird rituals required to (presumably) replenish their 'contractor energy' are pretty creative. Breaking your fingers? Munching on dandelions? Meticulously setting up a grid of pebbles? Some pretty cool ideas in there.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 am

Episode 2
Spoiler:
Scene of blond haired contractor death was really well directed.Mellow song as background and using previously established symbol(shooting star) instead of gory shot.Also shot with shooting star was well composed, putting key element to the background and bringing of skyscraper to the foreground to signify how insignificant contractor death is.
I really like when anime gets creative with death scenes.

I'm sold on this show after this episode.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

Very intrigued so far, have no idea where it's going to take us.
Civil servants must get paid well in this town if they can drive a 911. :)

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Episode 2

Spoiler:
That's too bad about Chiaki, I liked her. I'm curious to see why the MC hates contractors, and presumably himself, so much.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Ramza
I Like Anime

Postby Ramza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Okay, so I am guessing we watch a episode a day then? For some reason I assumed it was a episode per week.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Ep. 2

Spoiler:
Sorry about Chiaki. This story is shaping to be interesting. I wonder about that cat.

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

wow! it has been such a long time i last saw this show that i recall almost nothing of it! diging into it again is a real blast.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 am

Ramza wrote:Okay, so I am guessing we watch a episode a day then? For some reason I assumed it was a episode per week.
Right, I guess no one told you yet. I had to ask Neko for my first watch-along, too. I'm all for the pace we have set, though; one episode per week would be way too strechted out for me (I tend to forget little details from previous episodes even within a day at times ^^*).

Episode 3

While it looks like Destroyer noticed the cat in ep 2, I only did so now. But yeah, with its rather distinctive look, I was wondering whether it'd pop up again later in the story. Scratch "later" – it only took a couple of minutes for that particular question to be answered. So, talking cats are a thing. Guess I need to put on my open-minded cap for Darker than Black :P.

Another contractor's ritual (that's the term I'm coining right now): Dog-earing book pages at high speed? I really dig the variety.

Mai turning down her friend's invitation to instead return home where she hopes her dad's waiting for her surprised the heck out of me. Looks like she really is a good girl who cares a lot and hurts because of her father. Certainly earned sympathy points from me.

... and then comes the moment when you see the faint glowing mark on her arm, remember the earlier scene on the train where her eyes blanked, and connect the dots (that she's a doll, presumably) – oh sh*t ::shocked:: ::terrible:: ::panic2::!
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!