Watch along: Darker than Black

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Studio Bones anime should we watch? Votes will be tallied once we exceed 9 votes

Un-Go 11 episodes, CR
17%
Norigami (season 1) :12 episodes, CR, FN
33%
Scrapped Princess :24 episodes CR, FN
17%
Darker than Black: 24 episodes? AS, FN, HL
33%

Total votes: 12

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Re: Watch along: Darker than Black

Postby fragoff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 am

it will be interesting to see what is the connection betwen contractors and the stars. Also why is the sky starless and how come those we see are 'artificial'.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am

Episode 3
Another good episode, very subtle and subdued.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Episode 3

Spoiler:
I don't think Mai is a doll, her eyes look a lot like Li's do. I'd say that flower was somehow preventing her from becoming a contractor and now that it's wilted she has ascended? if that's a good word for it. I'm guessing there hasn't been a new star for awhile considering the detective lady's response.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Ep. 3

The story is getting interesting. I'm sticking with it.

Ramza
I Like Anime

Postby Ramza » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm

fragoff wrote:wow! it has been such a long time i last saw this show that i recall almost nothing of it! diging into it again is a real blast.

Same here! I can remember bits and pieces but nothing really spoilery. It's really great to jump back into this series. The OP song is showing it's age but I am digging the art style a lot.

BlueSpark wrote:Right, I guess no one told you yet. I had to ask Neko for my first watch-along, too. I'm all for the pace we have set, though; one episode per week would be way too strechted out for me (I tend to forget little details from previous episodes even within a day at times ^^*)

I don't mind the pace, I just assumed incorrectly :( I prefer to binge watch, usually 3-5 episodes at a time as my daily schedule is usually hectic, so anime fits into the 'watch it when i can' time slot hehe.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 am

Ramza wrote:I prefer to binge watch, usually 3-5 episodes at a time as my daily schedule is usually hectic, so anime fits into the 'watch it when i can' time slot hehe.
That's pretty close to my own approach, then, although I lead what you'd probably call the opposite of a hectic life :P. I make a conscious effort to keep my everyday life as calm and stress-free as possible. I do still prefer brief binge-watching sessions with no more than a day passing in-between, just so everything about the show stays coherent in my mind.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd say that flower was somehow preventing her from becoming a contractor and now that it's wilted she has ascended?
That's a pretty astute assumption given what we learn in the next episode. Good work, soldier!

Episode 4

The small mysteries/questions brought up by each episode are really drawing me in. I was rather perplexed when the police referred to Mai as a contractor in the beginning of the episode, but that got cleared up quickly. A moratorium being "something between a contractor and a doll" makes sense. Still, I'm confused by how her dad commented that Mai was already (on the verge of turning into) a contractor in her childhood – I'd figured the blank eyes (which she showed in the flowerbed scene) were supposed to be a tell-tale sign of a doll?

Either way, Mai sure is one pitiable girl :(. Can we call her the Sayaka of this series? Suffering from her father's cold attitude towards her, being chased by ruthless thugs, involuntarily burning her friend into a crisp and watching her die, and finally seeing her father perish from impalement right after he'd shown signs of coming back into her life as a loving parent. Doesn't get much worse than this... I was getting rather teary-eyed at that point.

Speaking of her father, there's a pretty heartless man. But at least, I could somewhat accept his reasoning. He's not as inhumane as a certain Mr. Tucker, if nothing else.

The scene right before Mai got captured took me by complete surprise, by the way. I almost want to call it an homage to Elfen Lied :D.

By the end of this episode, I've really started wondering just what the main crew is after. Is it simply information? Chiaki had access to classified files (Li moved into the apartment next to hers), and Mai's father was a former researcher (Li started working at the same company as him).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 am

BlueSpark wrote:
By the end of this episode, I've really started wondering just what the main crew is after. Is it simply information? Chiaki had access to classified files (Li moved into the apartment next to hers), and Mai's father was a former researcher (Li started working at the same company as him).

It's pretty oubvious that Li is in it to find out what happened to his sister. It was one line of text that was unoticed but you could tell it was important for him.
His employer might have different goals, that we don't know yet.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am

Episode 4
For me this show starts to look a bit as Japanese urban fantasy version of film noir, all we are missing is pouring rain.We have morally ambiguous main character living hollow life and solving peculiar cases, even more mellow music fits.I really like noir concept so it's a win in my book.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:47 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 4

Still, I'm confused by how her dad commented that Mai was already (on the verge of turning into) a contractor in her childhood – I'd figured the blank eyes (which she showed in the flowerbed scene) were supposed to be a tell-tale sign of a doll?

I'm guessing she was always going to be a moratorium but her dad just didn't know what the signs were. He blames the seed but it was probably headed that way regardless.

Episode 4

Spoiler:
I'm keen to see what happens with Mai now. I'm glad they threw that line about her star still being in the sky at the end.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 pm

fragoff wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:

It's pretty oubvious that Li is in it to find out what happened to his sister. It was one line of text that was unoticed but you could tell it was important for him.
His employer might have different goals, that we don't know yet.

Spoiler:
Given that his employer is the Syndicate, it's most likely recruiting more of these Contractors to spread its influence. I think that at the end of the episode, Hei's contact tells Mai that she will be in the Syndicate as well.

Any way, what a tragic episode.

Spoiler:
Killing her best friend and the father of that best friend, being distant with her father, and now in the Syndicate. And they're also cursed to kill without remorse as well.